• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Pulled over while carrying...

Do you have to tell them in MA if you have any weapons in the car? Why not just refuse to answer the question? Or just say no? I think its not illegal to lie to state or local police, only federal agents. Its none of his business what I have in my car from my perspective.

If the LEO sees a freaking NRA sticker and asks "do you have any weapons?" so that he can give it to you up the asss, I say screw him and don't play his anti-gun game.

Your right you dont have to tell the officer but just imagine this senario. The officer is told to be on the look out for someone who just committed a crime. Coincidently that perpatrator happens to be of similar description to you and driving a similar car (all stuff that you would'nt have knowledge of). The officer asks if you are carrying and you lie to him. Then he asks you out of the car because the officer thinks you may be the guy he looking for. You have already lied to the police and if he sees, or pat frisks you and feels a gun guess what will happen next.... After your done spitting road sand from your mouth your gonna spend alot of time explaining why you lied and convincing him you are not doing anything wrong. If you were just up front with him at the start you would probally be fine. If your legal your legal and you have nothing to worry about. If they still jack you up; now you have great grounds for a complaint or a law suit

Traffic stop in SoBOS a month or so back. "Any guns or drugs in the car?" ask BPD. "No illegal drugs, no illegal guns, no illegal nuthin" I sez. Warning and off I go. They had re-routed an intersection and left the stop sign where it was originally, so you didn't even notice it. "Yeah, Public Works have got to fix that," sez the cop - no doubt it's just a convenient money-maker corner two blocks from the station, or a good corner to fish for scumbags.

You've got to wonder who says "Yes, two keys of coke, an unregistered Glock and AK." Hmmm...

But with the new laws, people can start saying "Nah, just a few joints is all Officer."

I've handed them my Class A along with my military ID and driver's license before and they usually just pass everything but the driver's license back.

The military ID has got a lot of cops to stop hassling me over something stupid (like the factory window tint on my Crown Vic). Perks of the job, I guess...

I had got pulled over about six months ago coming back from A friends house around 3AM. I had got pulled over about 1 mile from my house(not my hometown), the first thing I did was give him both my LTC, Drivers lic., and registration and put my hands on top of the dash and had told him I was carrying, at the time I didn't know how to go about it. He had called back up, when they had got there the original officer asked me to pull it out for him. I noticed none of the officers had not shown any sign of nerves, I noticed not A single one of the four looked like they were about to unholster there pistols, they were all pretty cool about everything, But if they judged A book by it's cover im sure it would have been alot worse. I handed him my gun fully loaded one in the chamber I had told him and he said it was fine, he
went to the cruiser came back and searched me he said just to make sure I wasn't carrying anything else they ran my info and found out that my registration was expired. The original cop came back with my gun still fully loaded and just handed to me and told me it was A nice piece G27 I polished the slide, for the next ten minutes we were shootin the S**T about guns as his back up did A few donuts in there cars as they took off, and even with the expired registration they let me drive home, granted it was only A mile away but I don't think any of them followed procedure with the hand gun. I thought that they had to unload it and dissasemble it before giving it back, they didn't know if I was capable of doing something stupid. I think because I was polite and honest about everything it showed them trust (I guess). any body who judges A book by it's cover wouldn't believe somebody who looks like me has there LTC. I have worn my hat tilted to the side my whole life and most of the time I wear big baggy clothes, that time being one of them. I still dress proper when needed.

We all agree that there is no legal requirement in Mass. for an LTC holder to disclose they are carrying. The problem with not being up front when you are asked for your license and registration is if your firearm shows or prints when you reach into your pocket or purse.

I agree you don't have to say anything if the police officer just approaches you to talk to you or give you a verbal warning.

When asked to produce license and registration that is in one's purse or pocket, or to to do a drunk test, I would... with hands on the steering wheel state calmly, "Officer, I have a license to carry and have a firearm on my person. How should I proceed?"

If you keep your license and registration in the center console, or above the visor, then I agree that there is probably no need to divulge that you are licensed and carrying.

I don't see the need to disclose unloaded, encased, locked up firearms unless you are asked to get out of the cars and anticipate a search of the vehicle.

If you get abused by the officer at that point, it says more about the cop than you.

I know someone who did that in MA. The cop went ballistic and drew down on, called for backup, dragged him out of the car, proned him out, disarmed him, cuffed and stuffed him in the cruiser. About 45 minutes later, he was turned loose. Is that usual? No, it is not. But it is possible, and completely unnecessary.

Don't ask, don't tell, unless the officer orders you out of the car.

Not saying it happened like this, but if/when the time comes to tell the LEO you have a gun, it is important NOT to say "I have a gun and a license for it" but rather something like: "I have a valid and current LTC class A in my possession and also a lawful firearm. How would you like me to proceed?"

Do you have to tell them in MA if you have any weapons in the car? Why not just refuse to answer the question? Or just say no? I think its not illegal to lie to state or local police, only federal agents. Its none of his business what I have in my car from my perspective.

If the LEO sees a freaking NRA sticker and asks "do you have any weapons?" so that he can give it to you up the asss, I say screw him and don't play his anti-gun game.

colossally bad advice...

The military ID has got a lot of cops to stop hassling me over something stupid (like the factory window tint on my Crown Vic). Perks of the job, I guess...

Yep, my CG ID has gotten me out of a few tickets. Also, I generally always let the officer know (the majority of the time Im stopped, Im on my bike, carrying right above my wallet anyway) - Ive NEVER gotten a ticket when I let the officer know I was carrying, in fact Ive never even been asked in NH for my permit. Its nice to see an officer take an honest persons word.

Never Unholster the Gun!

I had got pulled over about six months ago coming back from A friends house around 3AM. I had got pulled over about 1 mile from my house(not my hometown), the first thing I did was give him both my LTC, Drivers lic., and registration and put my hands on top of the dash and had told him I was carrying, at the time I didn't know how to go about it. He had called back up, when they had got there the original officer asked me to pull it out for him. I noticed none of the officers had not shown any sign of nerves, I noticed not A single one of the four looked like they were about to unholster there pistols, they were all pretty cool about everything, But if they judged A book by it's cover im sure it would have been alot worse. I handed him my gun fully loaded one in the chamber I had told him and he said it was fine, he went to the cruiser came back and searched me he said just to make sure I wasn't carrying anything else they ran my info and found out that my registration was expired. The original cop came back with my gun still fully loaded and just handed to me and told me it was A nice piece G27 I polished the slide, for the next ten minutes we were shootin the S**T about guns as his back up did A few donuts in there cars as they took off, and even with the expired registration they let me drive home, granted it was only A mile away but I don't think any of them followed procedure with the hand gun. I thought that they had to unload it and dissasemble it before giving it back, they didn't know if I was capable of doing something stupid. I think because I was polite and honest about everything it showed them trust (I guess). any body who judges A book by it's cover wouldn't believe somebody who looks like me has there LTC. I have worn my hat tilted to the side my whole life and most of the time I wear big baggy clothes, that time being one of them. I still dress proper when needed.
I think handling a firearm around a LEO during any sort of potential law infraction (IE: When the cop is on duty or acting in a law enforcement capacity)is a VERY bad idea. I've heard of cases where someone was stopped for a minor traffic violation, disclosed that he was lawfully licensed, had a lawful weapon in the car and that the gun along with this fellows registration was in the glove box (Illegal in Massachusetts and extremely careless everywhere else). The officer stated that it was OK and told the driver to slowly and deliberately open up the glove box, give him the gun in a safe manner and then go back for the registration. Neither the officer nor the driver saw the officer's partner come from behind the car where he was checking the guy's plates in the cruiser. The driver did as he was ordered and opened up the glove compartment, the gun fell into his hand, the partner, not being privy to the conversation that had already taken place, drew his gun and fired several shots directly into the diver's cranium for fear of his fellow officer's safety. What started as a minor traffic infraction ended up costing this particular gun owner his life.

I for one will never handle my firearm around a police officer during any sort of traffic stop or otherwise. I think I agree with most of the people here, unless the LEO asks if you have weapons in the car or asks you to exit the vehicle don't offer the information. If they ask you to unholster your firearm keep your hands in plain sight and respectfully and politely decline by telling the officer you're uncomfortable doing so and offer to exit the vehicle where you will gladly consent to a terry search. Maybe you'll get pulled out of the car with a gun pointed to your head and eat a little dirt but at least you'll be alive.

We all agree that there is no legal requirement in Mass. for an LTC holder to disclose they are carrying. The problem with not being up front when you are asked for your license and registration is if your firearm shows or prints when you reach into your pocket or purse.

I carry in such a way that my gun will not print when I reach for license and registration.

ok, I think 95% of us agree on "not asked, don't tell" when driving. let me throw a little extra "what if"

I ride a motorcycle about 12-15K miles a year, does that change (in your opinion) if you "tell"? Once pulled over on a bike, you are asked to get off the bike and the "conversation" is done on the side of the road.

just wondering what others think. . .

I don't say a damned word about my LTC or any firearms unless asked. All the states in the northeast, IIRC, none of them are "must notify" on a traffic stop, so volunteering that information is unnecessary unless you think the LEO might somehow see your firearm.

-Mike

I know someone who did that in MA. The cop went ballistic and drew down on, called for backup, dragged him out of the car, proned him out, disarmed him, cuffed and stuffed him in the cruiser. About 45 minutes later, he was turned loose. Is that usual? No, it is not. But it is possible, and completely unnecessary.

Don't ask, don't tell, unless the officer orders you out of the car.

I've heard a first hand account from someone who notified on a stop, then had the LEO take his loaded 1911, and the LEO was trying to unload it, muzzle swept him with it, and almost discharged a round into the side of his car. Ironically enough the LEO eventually asked him to unload it. [laugh] That's what sealed the deal for me in terms of "not announcing when not legally required to".

LEOs who are gun savvy treat every person as a gun carrier. Those who are not do stupid things like muzzle sweep people, drag them out of cars, etc. It's hard to know "which kind" you have. Some people assume that LEOs by default are "gun savvy" , and IMHO, this assumption is pretty dangerous. I've even heard 2nd hand accounts of federal agents getting a gun jammed in their ear by an overzealous LEO that didn't know any better.

-Mike

You've got to wonder who says "Yes, two keys of coke, an unregistered Glock and AK." Hmmm...

Funny story...a cop who posts on GlockTalk.com posted a year or two ago about something like this. He was driving down the street, a guy waved him down and asked for a ride. Cop asked him why he wants a ride, he said he wants to go to the police station to take out a restraining order on his wife/girlfriend, she's crazy. The cop says no problem, but asks the guy before he gives him a ride if he has anything illegal on him. The guy tells him he’s carrying a gun, turns out the guy was a convicted felon with 3 previous felon in possession of a firearm charges. You’d think he’d be smarter than to flag down a cop for a ride with an illegal gun in his pants, but criminals generally get caught by making stupid mistakes.

I think handling a firearm around a LEO during any sort of potential law infraction (IE: When the cop is on duty or acting in a law enforcement capacity)is a VERY bad idea. I've heard of cases where someone was stopped for a minor traffic violation, disclosed that he was lawfully licensed, had a lawful weapon in the car and that the gun along with this fellows registration was in the glove box (Illegal in Massachusetts and extremely careless everywhere else). The officer stated that it was OK and told the driver to slowly and deliberately open up the glove box, give him the gun in a safe manner and then go back for the registration. Neither the officer nor the driver saw the officer's partner come from behind the car where he was checking the guy's plates in the cruiser. The driver did as he was ordered and opened up the glove compartment, the gun fell into his hand, the partner, not being privy to the conversation that had already taken place, drew his gun and fired several shots directly into the diver's cranium for fear of his fellow officer's safety. What started as a minor traffic infraction ended up costing this particular gun owner his life.

I for one will never handle my firearm around a police officer during any sort of traffic stop or otherwise. I think I agree with most of the people here, unless the LEO asks if you have weapons in the car or asks you to exit the vehicle don't offer the information. If they ask you to unholster your firearm keep your hands in plain sight and respectfully and politely decline by telling the officer you're uncomfortable doing so and offer to exit the vehicle where you will gladly consent to a terry search. Maybe you'll get pulled out of the car with a gun pointed to your head and eat a little dirt but at least you'll be alive.

Another point to consider. I think if a cop asked me to hand him/herm y gun I’d make sure that everyone in the area knew what was about to happen, and I’d probably tell them outright that I’d rather have them draw it than me. Like anything else though, you just need to react according to the variables.

Pretty good thread.

Prior to moving to Gemme's Utopia, I got stopped on 128 by a state cop for not having the current registration sticker affixed to my license plate (my fault, the sticker was with the valid registration inside my glove box). I had put my dome light on and kept my hands on the wheel as I was told back in drivers ed. It was pretty obvious that the cop was a rookie. It was about 2330 - not late but late enough - and the cop was fishing for a DUI (I was sober as a saint, on my way back from playing baseball).

He explained why he pulled me over, asked for license and registration, and went back to his cruiser. After a long few minutes, three more cruisers arrive, one pulling in front of me. A supervisor approaches my truck and asks if I have "anything in the vehicle that he should know about." I told him there wasn't and asked if there was a problem.

He asked me again. I asked him what is this about? He said that I "failed" to disclose to the first officer that I have a LTC. I replied that was true, but that I was not carrying so I didn't see why it mattered (I was still in my baseball uniform). The "aha" light went off and the supervisor stepped away to talk to the first cop.

Whatever the boss said mustn't have sat well. I got a $100 fine for not having the sticker on my plate (and no way was I going to step out of my vehicle then and there).

So it would seem that even some LEOs are unfamiliar with this issue, FWIW.

I was recently scolded for not disclosing my weapon immediately to a NH state trooper (he saw my LTC when I was getting the license out of my wallet, and asked if I had a weapon.)

I think he was just looking for a reason to chew me out, though, and didn't make a big stink about it. But I politely followed his instructions, and he was nice enough not to write a speeding ticket on xmas night.. :)

I am really going to give you the benefit of the doubt on this one. READ 1911's original post and heed that advice if you are in Massachusetts and have a Mass LTC. Some states require that you inform the officer that you are licensed and armed. If you are asked if you have firearms in your vehicle I suggest that you lie to the police and then get caught in your lie and see what happens. You might find that telling a lie to the police just might be illegal and remember any cop who has been on the Job for any length of time has a pretty good bull s**t detector and can probably tell if you are telling a lie or not. You can refuse to answer the question and then if the cop is bored or has a lot of time on his hands, the fun really begins, because you might find yourself handcuffed and detained until a warrant is obtained to search your vehicle. Stuff like this happens.

Mark L.

Last edited:
I will paraphrase advice from Massad Ayoob on how to handle this situation:

With both hands on the steering wheel, "Officer, I am properly licensed and I'm carrying my weapon. How would you like me to proceed?"

With both hands on the steering wheel, "Officer, I am properly licensed and I'm carrying my weapon. How would you like me to proceed?"

And for G-d's sake, NEVER, EVER, say "I've got a gun!" unless you think you'll like the taste of concrete. If you must notify him that you're carrying, do it the way that the last couple of posters have recommended!

I know someone who was pulled over at night and before the officer approached the vehicle he had the car off, dome light on and hands at 10+2 on the wheel.
This, BTW, is precisely the way that the retired NY state trooper who wrote "The Speeder's Guide to Avoiding Tickets" recommends that you stop. He also suggests raising your hand in your car so that the trooper can see that you're acknowledging that yes, you see him and you're pulling over. Very important if there's no room to pull over and you need to keep going to get to a safe spot (I'm thinking of roads like 128 and the Southeast Expway here...).

That, plus acknowledging exactly why he pulled me over (Hey, I knew what I did and why he was pulling me over; denying it would be stupid), is what got me out of a traffic safety discussion with a MA state trooper last week without so much as a written warning.

He yelled at me a bit, I said Yes, Sir and he said Slow Down and put your seatbelt on. (a base canard, as I NEVER drive without it - I'd taken it off to get at my wallet).

I disagree.

When you see blue lights, speed ahead, pull around a corner and stop the car after a brief chase. Jump out of your car, run towards the cruiser while reaching into your waistband and shouting "F*** the po-lice, you gonna die tonight!"

If you survive the shooting, sue the police department.

[smile]

I disagree.

When you see blue lights, start your in-car video-cam, speed ahead, pull around a corner and stop the car after a brief chase. Jump out of your car, run towards the cruiser while reaching into your waistband and shouting "F*** the po-lice, you gonna die tonight!"

If you survive the shooting, post the video to YouTube, then sue the police department.

[smile]
[rofl] added the video-age touch.

I disagree.

When you see blue lights, speed ahead, pull around a corner and stop the car after a brief chase. Jump out of your car, run towards the cruiser while reaching into your waistband and shouting "F*** the po-lice, you gonna die tonight!"

If you survive the shooting, sue the police department.

[smile]

Are you serious? Am getting an impression you should be ignored!

Back
Top Bottom