Carrying in a vehicle with a class a ltc with a restriction

I have a class a ltc with a restriction to target and hunting. Unfortunately I live in Boston and they will not allow an unrestricted liscense. Can I carry on my person inside my vehicle the same as a person without a restriction? I can’t find a clear answer. Can anyone help? Thank you.

This sort of question gets asked here weekly, at least.

The reason you "can't find a clear answer" is because there isn't one. Just lots and lots and lots of opinion, some of which is informed and some less so. Legally, the only "safe" thing to do seems to be to call your licensing authority to ask them what your restrictions mean for your specific situation, demand that in writing, and then follow it.

Good luck with all that.

I suspect the Boston PD licensing authority would say you cannot carry a loaded firearm on your person, period. My advice, move to a green town before you renew if you want to carry.

I've read "okay" to and from the permitted activity, but again, it's all up to the licensing authority and knowing that if you're stopped, it works against your suitability.

BPD has a page that lists what restrictions mean to the applicants from Boston.

As I recall, under a restriction you can NOT carry anywhere except at the allowed locations (at a gun range or hunting in this case). Anywhere else and if notified, BPD will revoke your LTC. Period!

There is no gray area here. Every city/town is different and BPD has put their stake in the ground. Read your paperwork (or their website).

Are you target shooting or hunting when your driving your vehicle?

As stated only your licensing authority can truly answer the question......but I think you already know the answer.

Hope you chose to move to a green town soon to get an unrestricted license.

BPD has a page that lists what restrictions mean to the applicants from Boston.

As I recall, under a restriction you can NOT carry anywhere except at the allowed locations (at a gun range or hunting in this case). Anywhere else and if notified, BPD will revoke your LTC. Period!

There is no gray area here. Every city/town is different and BPD has put their stake in the ground. Read your paperwork (or their website).
I'd say there is a gray area. BPD allows "possession" for work and for target/hunting. With work you can carry while working. For t/h it allows "possession" for personal protection in the home, competition/rec shooting and hunting ....as well as travel to and from the range. Seems like you can carry with the work possession restriction and with the target hunting restriction during listed activities.

I'd say there is a gray area. BPD allows "possession" for work and for target/hunting. With work you can carry while working. For t/h it allows "possession" for personal protection in the home, competition/rec shooting and hunting ....as well as travel to and from the range. Seems like you can carry with the work possession restriction and with the target hunting restriction during listed activities.
From BPD, "... However, if your license has a restriction, you are only able to carry your handgun within those restrictions. If you are not carrying the handgun on your person, it must be properly secured within accordance with Massachusetts state law. "

Clearly they are allowing carry to/from range

I have a class a ltc with a restriction to target and hunting. Unfortunately I live in Boston and they will not allow an unrestricted liscense. Can I carry on my person inside my vehicle the same as a person without a restriction? I can’t find a clear answer. Can anyone help? Thank you.
You can only carry during the activities allowed under your restriction.

you would be better off legally carrying without a license in Boston than carrying outside of their restrictions

Look at all the people without licenses who are charged with gun crimes that are sent home with no bail and the charges never amount to anything.

From BPD, "... However, if your license has a restriction, you are only able to carry your handgun within those restrictions. If you are not carrying the handgun on your person, it must be properly secured within accordance with Massachusetts state law. "

Am I missing something? Maybe my reading comprehension is off today. Where does it state carrying to and from the range is ok?

The way I read that....if your not carrying on your person during those activities (hunting and target shooting) it must be secured properly. Where does it say anything about carrying on your person to and from the range?

What's the rest of the passage before this? I read this like @whacko does, as two separate clauses. I can see how you're reading it also, but if it was that simple, this wouldn't be the 1,834,002nd thread on this topic.

What's the rest of the passage before this? I read this like @whacko does, as two separate clauses. I can see how you're reading it also, but if it was that simple, this wouldn't be the 1,834,002nd thread on this topic.
Clearly ....there is no clearly about it.🤣

My first Boston LTC was issued with the target & hunting restrictions. IIRC, the letter that came in the mail with the license stated (in bold & large font) 'concealed carry is not allowed under this license'. Just checked & i cannot find the letter. My filing sucks. I would suggest you call before you carry.

You have your answer(s) above. It sucks.

The only other options you have are to move to a another 2A city or town or become an instructor.

Bob

Am I missing something? Maybe my reading comprehension is off today. Where does it state carrying to and from the range is ok?

The way I read that....if your not carrying on your person during those activities (hunting and target shooting) it must be secured properly. Where does it say anything about carrying on your person to and from the range?
It says "... However, if your license has a restriction, you are only able to carry your handgun within those restrictions. If you are not carrying the handgun on your person, it must be properly secured within accordance with Massachusetts state law. "

Possessing in home for personal protection is allowed. Possession while traveling to and from range is allowed.....and if your're not carrying on your person it must be locked up.

It says "... However, if your license has a restriction, you are only able to carry your handgun within those restrictions. If you are not carrying the handgun on your person, it must be properly secured within accordance with Massachusetts state law. "

Possessing in home for personal protection is allowed. Possession while traveling to and from range is allowed.....and if your're not carrying on your person it must be locked up.
That interpretation is stretching it imo.

Many many others have posted here and in many other posts that it is not allowed. Your the only one I see that has said "clearly you can carry to and from". One contacted the authority and got the answer of no. Another has it written in his letter from the authority that concealed carry is not allowed. Did you get your clarification from a BPD licensing authority or are you interpreting it yourself?

All in all......meh

If anyone has a restriction ......I'd recommend a phone call to the licensing authority for clarification.

Phone calls mean nothing, unless you have a letter from the licensing authority responding to your inquiry that states it is allowed, you have nothing to CYA with if the SHTF

In Boston they do not recognize that there is a God given right to defend yourself in your home, if you notice the license says nothing about home defense, and you can bet the farm if someone with a LTC B, or a LTC-A restricted to H&T ( in reality a B license that allows more than 8 rounds) used their gun to defend themselves during a house break they would be hung out to dry.

Last edited:
That interpretation is stretching it imo.

Many many others have posted here and in many other posts that it is not allowed. Your the only one I see that has said "clearly you can carry to and from". One contacted the authority and got the answer of no. Another has it written in his letter from the authority that concealed carry is not allowed. Did you get your clarification from a BPD licensing authority or are you interpreting it yourself?

All in all......meh

If anyone has a restriction ......I'd recommend a phone call to the licensing authority for clarification.
I can’t disagree with what you’ve said. Mass sucks up down and all over with any “law” on guns.

Listen OP I have had my Boston LTC-A for around 39 years,so give them a call if you don't
understand,and the will give it to you in writing.No carry with Target&Hunting restriction.

Back
Top Bottom