Pulled over while carrying...

I did once and I handed the statie my class a with my license and registration.

Bad move.

I was out, frisked, and had to stand there on the side of the highway for 30 minutes while he tore me a new one. Went to my chief the next day to get some advice and he told me not to say anything unless I was explicitly asked or was about to get frisked.

not to chime in too far .. but I had an LE who i consider a good friend tell me to do exactly what most are suggesting NOT to do. To hand my LTC to the officer along with my drivers license and tell him that there was a firearm in the vehicle. When asked where to disclose and follow instructions.

not to chime in too far .. but I had an LE who i consider a good friend tell me to do exactly what most are suggesting NOT to do. To hand my LTC to the officer along with my drivers license and tell him that there was a firearm in the vehicle. When asked where to disclose and follow instructions.

I disagree with him....it is not necessary unless asked to exit the vehicle or asked specifically if there are any firearms in the vehicle.

There is no need to volunteer information unless asked about it.

No, not unless you are told to get out of your car. Then, disclose before you un-horse.

Exactly...I would also add that if you are asked if you have any firearms in the vehicle that you tell the officer.

No need to volunteer any information.

I know someone who did that in MA. The cop went ballistic and drew down on, called for backup, dragged him out of the car, proned him out, disarmed him, cuffed and stuffed him in the cruiser. About 45 minutes later, he was turned loose. Is that usual? No, it is not. But it is possible, and completely unnecessary.

Don't ask, don't tell, unless the officer orders you out of the car.

I know someone who did that in MA. The cop went ballistic and drew down on, called for backup, dragged him out of the car, proned him out, disarmed him, cuffed and stuffed him in the cruiser. About 45 minutes later, he was turned loose. Is that usual? No, it is not. But it is possible, and completely unnecessary.

Don't ask, don't tell, unless the officer orders you out of the car.

Is a cop within his/her rights to draw on someone who is a lawful and licensed concealed carry citizen?!?!?!

Is a cop within his/her rights to draw on someone who is a lawful and licensed concealed carry citizen?!?!?!

He can draw down on anyone, based on the circumstances and the force continuum. In this case, the circumstances clearly did not justify his actions.

He can draw down on anyone, based on the circumstances and the force continuum. In this case, the circumstances clearly did not justify his actions.

It did not, but i can sympathize with the police... there are a lot of scumbags out there. Who knows when someday some idiot will say he's legally licensed and has a firearm; only to be lying and shoot the cop

I disclosed my handgun status to a police officer in Nevada once and he asked if i had any other firearms in the car. I had just left the county range and was like "Well, i have about 4 long guns and another pistol in the trunk". He asked me to hand him my pistol while i was still in the car, which i must saw was awkward since it required me to draw the weapin from my IWB holster WITH my shooting hand; but the cop just stood behind the B Pillar and watched. Not even a gun drawn. I handed him the Glock 23 and said "full mag and one in the chamber which i handed with the barrel facing the ground. He unloaded it, put it on the roof and asked me to exit and open the trunk. He left the weapon and magazine on the roof in easy reach, still was very nonchalant, and i opened the trunk with all the cased weapons neatly locked and stacked. He asked if he could look in the cases, and when he opened the first and found a neatly packed and cleaned AR15 with no mags or ammo in the case, he closed it and said "Have a nice day".

I asked if he wanted to see my CCW (the Nevada equivalent of an LTC) and he said "if you had a concealed weapon and no permit you'd not have disclosed it. Besides, it comes up on our computer. Slow down a bit and enjoy your day".

It was all very strange how casual the police officer was. No backup, no guns drawn... although it made me uncomfortable i worry about any cop who is in that situation and does NOT get a little on edge...

Anyhow long story but i dont usually disclose in MA since i've heard the horror stories and dont think i'll be met with the same plesantries as in NV

I'm beginning to realize just how screwed up Mass is with these issues.

If I have my CCW permit, the cop has no more right than I do to have a gun IMHO. Having said that, out of respect for the danger that LEO's put themselves in, I personally feel like I'd rather just disclose it.

If I were a cop, I would rather know than not know. Having said all that, it just occurred to me that if/when I'm stopped, isn't the cop running the plate and finding out everything about me on his computer before he even approaches my car? Aren't they checking for warrants, etc.? Won't an LTC show up on there anyway?

I'm beginning to realize just how screwed up Mass is with these issues.

If I have my CCW permit, the cop has no more right than I do to have a gun IMHO. Having said that, out of respect for the danger that LEO's put themselves in, I personally feel like I'd rather just disclose it.

If I were a cop, I would rather know than not know. Having said all that, it just occurred to me that if/when I'm stopped, isn't the cop running the plate and finding out everything about me on his computer before he even approaches my car? Aren't they checking for warrants, etc.? Won't an LTC show up on there anyway?

Any cop worth 2 cents is already treating you as an armed person. Keep your hands on the wheel and don't say anything.

Any cop worth 2 cents is already treating you as an armed person. Keep your hands on the wheel and don't say anything.

Very well said... that ties it up for me nicely. You are right. If smart, no cop is treating any stop as "routine". If you aren't legally obligated to disclose, why do it? If you aren't doing anything wrong, then you have nothing to worry about, right?

I've actually never even been pulled over, but when/if it happens, mums the word.

The way I look at it, I would assume he is stopping me for some moving violation. In most cases you wouldn't even get out of the car and all he wants is your license and registration.
By mentioning to him that you have an LTC and are currently carrying, you would put him on a higher alert. With the knowledge that you are armed he may become more nervous / jumpy and that is something you don't want - you want this stop to be as smoothly as possible (chance of a warning instead of a citation).
I know someone who was pulled over at night and before the officer approached the vehicle he had the car off, dome light on and hands at 10+2 on the wheel. The officer saw this and asked him if he was an LEO. He said no, he was just being courteous. He drove away with a warning - did it help ? Who knows, but I want to make the stop as easy as possible and declaring that I am armed could not help.
That being said, If I was asked to exit the vehicle for some reason, I may then mention it.

That being said, If I was asked to exit the vehicle for some reason, I may then mention it.

If the officer asks you to exit the car, most likely he is going to take you into custody. At the very least, he is going to do a Terry frisk, at which point he will find the gun. I suggest that it is in your best interests that he know about the gun before you step out of the car.

At LFI-1, Ayoob suggested that if you are ordered out of the car, that you reply: "Certainly, Officer. I have a license to carry and I am carrying now. How would you like me to proceed?"

This tells the officer that 1) you will comply, 2) you are a card-carrying good guy, and 3) that you are carrying, but without ever using the g-word.

If the officer asks you to exit the car, most likely he is going to take you into custody. At the very least, he is going to do a Terry frisk, at which point he will find the gun. I suggest that it is in your best interests that he know about the gun before you step out of the car.

At LFI-1, Ayoob suggested that if you are ordered out of the car, that you reply: "Certainly, Officer. I have a license to carry and I am carrying now. How would you like me to proceed?"

This tells the officer that 1) you will comply, 2) you are a card-carrying good guy, and 3) that you are carrying, but without ever using the g-word.

It also provides RESPECT. Remember that police officers are typically comfortable in situations that they can control. Nature of the job. When you throw a wrench into a "controlled" situation it becomes "dangerous". Asking them "How would you like me to proceed" gives them control again over the situation. It provides a safe situation for the BOTH of you to ask how HE would like to proceed.

I see police officers all day in the ER (usually bringing in patients, occasionally saving our ass, and unfortunately occasionally as patients) and i can say they are people taked with a VERY difficult job. Cut them some slack, work with them, and they will appreciate it...

As a Police Officer my opinion is this: I am of the opinion that if you are legal to carry I dont have a hell of a lot to fear from you. If you were, are, or were about to do something illegal I am sure you would not be telling the Officer that you are carrying a handgun. I think the best course of action is to not say anything. That being said; If the firearm is in plain view, even if cased (not in the trunk or in a locked case under the seat), let the officer know "Sir; I am properly licesed but I wanted to let you know I have a firearm in a locked case in my back seat". The reason I say this is the Officer is probally already perfectly aware there is a rifle case in the back seat. He may return to his cruiser and call for an additional unit for his safety. When the additional unit/s arrive there could be more explaining to do rather than it just being addressed right off the bat. Next, any time you are asked if your carrying or asked to step from the vehicle you should let the officer know in a similar manner; "Sir; I am properly licensed however I want to let you know I have a loaded handgun in a holster on my belt (or an unloaded rifle cased in the trunk, etc.)" Then follow the officers instructions. It is important to realize that even though you are not doing anything wrong the Officer may have goten a call from some "Anti" who caught a glimpse of your properly licensed firearm and completely over reacted and called the police. The Officers are merely investigating. Being on the defensive with them puts the Police on a higher defensive with you. Remember it is not like the old days, Many cops are not "gun guys" and were never military. They get it pounded in their head that every car stop is a dangerous encounter. Many are truly not aware of how many people legally excersise their 2nd adm. rights and carry a firearm regularly. They freeze up and dont know what to do when some one is LEGAL they are mainly trained how to react to the situation when the person is ILLEGAL.

It did not, but i can sympathize with the police... there are a lot of scumbags out there. Who knows when someday some idiot will say he's legally licensed and has a firearm; only to be lying and shoot the cop

I disclosed my handgun status to a police officer in Nevada once and he asked if i had any other firearms in the car. I had just left the county range and was like "Well, i have about 4 long guns and another pistol in the trunk". He asked me to hand him my pistol while i was still in the car, which i must saw was awkward since it required me to draw the weapin from my IWB holster WITH my shooting hand; but the cop just stood behind the B Pillar and watched. Not even a gun drawn. I handed him the Glock 23 and said "full mag and one in the chamber which i handed with the barrel facing the ground. He unloaded it, put it on the roof and asked me to exit and open the trunk. He left the weapon and magazine on the roof in easy reach, still was very nonchalant, and i opened the trunk with all the cased weapons neatly locked and stacked. He asked if he could look in the cases, and when he opened the first and found a neatly packed and cleaned AR15 with no mags or ammo in the case, he closed it and said "Have a nice day".

I asked if he wanted to see my CCW (the Nevada equivalent of an LTC) and he said "if you had a concealed weapon and no permit you'd not have disclosed it. Besides, it comes up on our computer. Slow down a bit and enjoy your day".

It was all very strange how casual the police officer was. No backup, no guns drawn... although it made me uncomfortable i worry about any cop who is in that situation and does NOT get a little on edge...

Anyhow long story but i dont usually disclose in MA since i've heard the horror stories and dont think i'll be met with the same plesantries as in NV

I think you acted foolishly. You turned a traffic stop into a search of your vehicle, to which you consented to. Why do you think he wanted to see in your cases? Let me help you out on this one. He was trying to find you in violation of the law, in order to send you up the river on a technicality. COPS ARE NOT YOUR FRIENDS. I understand how you wanted to show him you're a good sheeple in full compliance of storage and transportation laws but you should have just dealt with the issue at hand (the traffic stop) and gone about your business.

On the two occaisions I have dealt with cops while carrying I simply handed my permit to them with my ID/registration, to which they asked where the gun was, and would I mind keeping it there until we part ways. Then we did our business and were off. No issues at all. Once was in Florida, once in NH.

On the two occaisions I have dealt with cops while carrying I simply handed my permit to them with my ID/registration, to which they asked where the gun was, and would I mind keeping it there until we part ways. Then we did our business and were off. No issues at all. Once was in Florida, once in NH.
I've handed them my Class A along with my military ID and driver's license before and they usually just pass everything but the driver's license back.

As a rule, I don't tell the cops I'm carrying unless they ask or if there's a chance my gun might become exposed. For instance, I got in a car accident and was looking under my car for damage on the side of the road, so before doing that I pulled the cop aside and told him, no issues, the accident wasn't even my fault.

While most LEOs don't have a problem with properly licensed people who are carrying, that is not true of all officers. I do know a fellow with an LTC who was carrying when he was stopped for a very minor traffic infraction. He politely notified the officer that he was carrying, and ended up proned out, cuffed, and stuffed. It was a very unpleasant (and completely pointless) experience that would have been avoided if he had simply not said anything. YMMV.

I met a tow truck driver who does lot's of vehicle repo tows, etc. who carries a Beretta 92 at work. He got pulled over on 290 in Worcester by a state trooper who asked him as soon as he walked up to the car "Do you have any weapons in the car?" He said "Yeah, I have a gun," and the trooper opened the door, pulled him out and put him on the ground at gunpoint. Yes, this guy had an LTC, but like anything else a big part of it is how you present it.

I've never had that happen, I'd imagine it's pretty rare, but who knows?

If I get pulled over, I pull far to the side of the road right away, shut off the car, roll down the window, turn on the interior light, and get out my license and registration, with my wallet on the passenger seat with the LTC in it. If they ask, I'll tell, but I've never had one ask.

Don't say anything until they pull you out of the car and prepare to frisk you. Or if they ask if you have any weapons in the vehicle.

Do you have to tell them in MA if you have any weapons in the car? Why not just refuse to answer the question? Or just say no? I think its not illegal to lie to state or local police, only federal agents. Its none of his business what I have in my car from my perspective.

If the LEO sees a freaking NRA sticker and asks "do you have any weapons?" so that he can give it to you up the asss, I say screw him and don't play his anti-gun game.

Last edited:
Do you have to tell them in MA if you have any weapons in the car? Why not just refuse to answer the question? Or just say no? I think its not illegal to lie to state or local police, only federal agents. Its none of his business what I have in my car from my perspective.

If the LEO sees a freaking NRA sticker and asks "do you have any weapons?" so that he can give it to you up the asss, I say screw him and don't play his anti-gun game.

[rolleyes]

I've been pulled over once by Boston PD. They saw the stickers, didn't even comment, just asked for my license and registration. Same with when the state trooper pulled over to assist me when I blew a tire, didn't even blink at the NRA sticker.

Ok ...when you are pulled over..yes the reg. is run...but not until the Officer gets you ID does he run you... Why? because it could be your wife,kid,neighbor driving your car..Reg.'d to you! Something to remember!

I have had 2 encounters w/ MSP Neither did i disclose i was carrying.. 1) just didn't think about it.
2) Well that was by choice. Was pulled over by a 2 up cruiser. (MSP don't ride 2 up) OH ya the class just graduated!!!!Soooo do I feel like being a training aid.. Not that day I has some where to go in the next ooohhhh 1-2 hours! I was pulled over because i hadn't got a sticker(the van was 2 days old)

You ask...I'll tell

And it is illegal for a PO to ask you IF you have a LTC. They can ask to see it!

Back
Top Bottom