• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Pulled over while carrying......interesting experience

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would like to hear of other experiences... Heard/read that one should produce the LTC with the license in those situations. Not sure what the right reaction should be... Any suggestions?

My general attitude has always been of the don't ask don't tell sort. If the officer asks a direct question (as was the case here, albeit as a result of seeing my LTC) or if I am asked to exit the vehicle for some innocuous reason (e.g. busy road, narrow shoulder) I would volunteer the info. Other than that I would treat it like a routine traffic stop and expect the officer to do the same.

Do people really get LTC's to shoot cops at traffic stops?

Remember the last flagmen push in Massachusetts?
The official line of reasoning for PoPo instead of Flag Men (and Women) at road construction sites is that Citizens will not honor flag persons... That the uniform, badge, and gun command the respect required to follow the instructions of a flag person.
Invert the logic, and there you are! /sarcasm.

, one potential approach is to let the Police Officer unholster the pistol himself. As someone said, I certainly wouldn't put my hand on my own weapon with the cop standing at the driver's window.

Maybe I miss read this . But did you mean it like to make the cop stop and think for a second ?

If you for real , do you know how many cops shoot them selfs Drawing there own damn guns, and you want them you reach in and grab yours....

Last edited:
Any cop that even begins to approach dink level gets the 5th. That one is still intact isn't it?

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:
OP, thanks for an interesting post.

I guess I'll get flamed for this but I don't see the Police Officer's point of view to be that unreasonable. He didn't push it either which makes him one of the good guys in my opinion.

Actually the most interesting thing I got from the discussion so far was that if I ever find myself in this situation (unlikely as I very rarely carry), one potential approach is to let the Police Officer unholster the pistol himself. As someone said, I certainly wouldn't put my hand on my own weapon with the cop standing at the driver's window.
You would let him unholster your gun? Why so he can accidentally shoot you with it while taking it off you? not a freaking chance!

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Because it is that easy, right? Sue, and they just hand over money? I'm not sure it works they way you think it works...

[wink]

You're right. I am not a lawyer and that was intended more tongue in cheek. More likely I'd be charged with assaulting the Police Officer's fists with my face. OK, I confess, that was a joke too.

It was a clever trap. As soon as you unholstered your weapon (police report stated a weapon was drawn unsolicited) the officer would take cover and start firing at your car.

Damn.... ive been spending too much time on NES. No idea why a cop would ask someone (who could be a moron, unholstering with finger on trigger and forgot this was the time one was chambered).

Dumb all around but the way you handled it was spot on in my book. Good on you.

If you for real , do you know how many cops shoot them selfs Drawing there own damn guns, and you want them you reach in and grab yours....

Mine's in condition 3 so no worries there. I'd tell the cop that too.

To be honest the reason I don't carry is this:
Probability of having to defend myself with a firearm in the towns in which I live and work and on the roads in between = zero.
Probability of some weird shit happening as a result of carrying = greater than zero.

I understand this calculation will be different for other people.

Mine's in condition 3 so no worries there. I'd tell the cop that too.

To be honest the reason I don't carry is this:
Probability of having to defend myself with a firearm in the towns in which I live and work and on the roads in between = zero.
Probability of some weird shit happening as a result of carrying = greater than zero.

I understand this calculation will be different for other people.

I don't carry if I'm running to get drive through .
When's the last time you got robbed by the guy giving you a milkshake at 1am

The cop, and anyone who reacts like this upon encountering a LTC-holder, is a retard. People who jump through all the hoops to get LTCs don't shoot cops over motor vehicle violations.

You had a cop ask you to remove your loaded weapon while still seated and hand it over to him while you had children in the vehicle? During a routine traffic stop?

What a ****ing retard.

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:
You would let him unholster your gun? Why so he can accidentally shoot you with it while taking it off you? not a freaking chance!
Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Condition 3.

And for all you gunfighters that carry in Condition 1 or 2, I just don't agree with your risk assessment.

I always liked.. "Why don't we both just leave the firearms in the holsters where they belong?"

"You leave yours in the holster and don't reach for it, I'll leave mine in the holster and won't reach for it. Let's not have any needless misunderstandings. Fair enough?"

^^^^That way works well enough.

Remember the last flagmen push in Massachusetts?
The official line of reasoning for PoPo instead of Flag Men (and Women) at road construction sites is that Citizens will not honor flag persons... That the uniform, badge, and gun command the respect required to follow the instructions of a flag person.
Invert the logic, and there you are! /sarcasm.

So in all the other 49 states (57 if you're Obama) people have no problem obeying flag men. Only in this shithole do they ignore them.

This is a sterling example of how we have morphed from law abiding citizens to potential terrorist thanks to out GWOT post 9/11 mentality where any citizen is now a potential threat. When a cop is afraid that he is going to get shot by a legally licensed gun owner who has answered his question and is that afraid, then this is yet another indicator of the deepening gap between the police and the citizenry.

Today the Feds keep pushing the domestic terrorist angle. It's not al Qaeda anymore, it's us.

I don't carry if I'm running to get drive through .
When's the last time you got robbed by the guy giving you a milkshake at 1am

Its not him you have to worry about. Plenty of BGs out there at any time. You never know when you will run into one.

I'm not trying to infringe on any rights; I carry every day.

That's like a KKK saying he isn't racist because he has black friends.

Hypothetical:

If you did attempt to pull out and hand over your weapon,the JBT could have interpreted that as a furtive movement and then shot you to death in front of your kids.

Unfortunately in todays world,not just Massachusetts,he would have walked away and then be heralded as a hero in the War on Taxpayers.

Okay, had a similar experience in Braintree. This officer was a bit aggressive because I came off the from route 3 ramp and into the rotary a little faster than the posted speed limit, say 40mph instead of 20mph. He didn't like my attitude, or my radar detector.... "why do you need that?" answer because I would prefer to avoid the speeding ticket.... "oh, so you speed all the time? Where are you going?.... Answer: The gun range, its been a rough week and I'm anxious to get to the range... " You have firearms in the vehicle?" Yes. Here's my LTC, no restrictions "Are you carrying on your person?" Yes a Sig 239 40. "Is it in a holster?" Yes. I have two more on the passenger floor in my gun bag. A 45 colt and S&W 1911. Would you like to inspect them?. "ah, no that's all right. Be right back with your ticket." I'll admit I was very nervous and at first was not going to say anything, but he was just so obnoxious about the radar Detector... Would like to hear of other experiences... Heard/read that one should produce the LTC with the license in those situations. Not sure what the right reaction should be... Any suggestions?

First, always pop the radar detector off and drop it out of sight if you can. If not, confuse him when he asks why you have it with, "I have a constitutional right to know if I'm being surveilled." Second, never respond "to are you carrying?" with "yes, and I have others." Be polite, but don't ever offer information.

So in all the other 49 states (57 if you're Obama) people have no problem obeying flag men. Only in this shithole do they ignore them.
The house on my dead end street was getting a gas line installed. You guessed it -police detail supervision.

OP, thanks for an interesting post.

I guess I'll get flamed for this but I don't see the Police Officer's point of view to be that unreasonable. He didn't push it either which makes him one of the good guys in my opinion.

Actually the most interesting thing I got from the discussion so far was that if I ever find myself in this situation (unlikely as I very rarely carry), one potential approach is to let the Police Officer unholster the pistol himself. As someone said, I certainly wouldn't put my hand on my own weapon with the cop standing at the driver's window.

A cop this afraid of someone with his kids in the back seat, at a traffic stop, is definitely, absolutely NOT going to be allowed to unholster MY weapon. I keep a round in the chamber of my G26. This nitwit would probably accidentally shoot me, the kids, himself, or put a hollow point into the friggin engine block.

How about asking Officer Fife "Weapons? Why do you ask, sir? Do you suspect me of being a felon/ Have I done anything specific to make you feel that I am a felon?" etc etc

I don't just believe in Amendment # 2....I believe in all of them. He had no right to infringe on your liberties, period.

First, always pop the radar detector off and drop it out of sight if you can. If not, confuse him when he asks why you have it with, "I have a constitutional right to know if I'm being surveilled." Second, never respond "to are you carrying?" with "yes, and I have others." Be polite, but don't ever offer information.

Thank you Obie1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom