Pulled over while carrying......interesting experience

Status
Not open for further replies.

TBalls

NES Member
I got pulled over while carrying late this afternoon (amazingly this is the first time) and I had a sort of interesting experience.

The officer approached the window and did the usual license/registration request, at which point I inquired as to the reason for the stop. Apparently my inspection was expired (stupid MA). After I handed over my registration he asked me if there were any guns/weapons in the vehicle. I calmly responded that I have my ltc and was in fact carrying. The following is a partially abridged (& paraphrased) transcript of what followed.

Officer: What are you carrying? Do you usually carry?
Me: Ruger LCR under my left arm. Yes, I almost always carry.
Officer: I'd like you to slowly and carefully hand me the firearm.
Me: Is there a specific reason?
Officer: I was trained in situations like this to take the gun so that while I'm writing a ticket I don't get a bullet in the head.
Me: I'm sorry but I don't feel comfortable given the circumstances to reach for my firearm. I'm also a certified instructor if that makes you feel any better. (it shouldn't, and I'm not sure that it did)
Officer: Please stay in the car.

After a long wait...

Officer: I'm giving you a warning for the expired inspection. It would have been a lot faster if you had given me the firearm. That way I could simply do my paperwork instead of having to write a line and look up, write a line and look up, etc. I saw the top of your LTC when you were getting your license, which is why I asked. I'm not trying to infringe on any rights; I carry every day.
Me: I understand and appreciate how you feel, but I just didn't feel that there was any safe way for me to hand the gun over.

And that was pretty much it. The overall tone was short of friendly but mutually courteous, and I appreciate that he stated his desire not to infringe. That being said, I find it generally disheartening that he says he was trained to disarm a law abiding citizen in order to avoid "getting a bullet in the head". I have nothing but respect for the job that police officers do, but that made me sad.

Oh yeah, and my kids were in the back seat. I had to explain why the nice officer felt the need to say that he didn't want a bullet to the head.

Not a bad experience overall I suppose (hey, only a warning!). It was just a strange mix for me; he was very non-confrontational with his tone but at the same time managed to make me feel like he sees a licensed carrier as an inherent unknown/threat.

Just thought I'd share. That is all.

Last edited:
shows you the mentality they drill into them, everyone wants to shoot you over ever little stop, no exceptions

more likely to get shot transferring the firearm from you to him then it sitting in a holster

good by you. I would never, ever draw my firearm in front of an officer. If he wants it that bad he will have to unholster it himself

So your sticker expired in May? Or earlier? Submit to the man.

Last edited:
An excellent example that does well to illustrate the mentality of many cops, and that this mentality is one that comes out of how and what they are trained. That is why police violating or trying to violate basic rights is not because of certain individuals in law enforcement, but rather is something that is institutionalized.

I think you handled the situation excellent. I also am glad that despite this disgusting mentality cops are trained to have, that this officer didn't escalate things had enough sense to let it be, his remarks withstanding.

Another lesson that comes out of this is keep your LTC somewhere else in your wallet so that it isn't visible. Might have avoided any discussion about your firearm in the first place that way.

I got pulled over while carrying late this afternoon (amazingly this is the first time) and I had a sort of interesting experience.

The officer approached the window and did the usual license/registration request, at which point I inquired as to the reason for the stop. Apparently my inspection was expired (stupid MA). After I handed over my registration he asked me if there were any guns/weapons in the vehicle. I don't get why guys ask this. Criminals will lie. Good people will tell truth. Just assume there are guns if you're concerned.

I calmly responded that I have my ltc and was in fact carrying. You did the right thing... he would have wet himself if you lied. The following is a partially abridged (& paraphrased) transcript of what followed.

Officer: What are you carrying? Relevance? Do you usually carry? Well... it is a License to CARRY
Me: Ruger LCR under my left arm. Yes, I almost always carry.
Officer: I'd like you to slowly and carefully hand me the firearm. RETARD
Me: Is there a specific reason?
Officer: herp DERP From licensed gun owners...OK Not only that... if he's that concerned about getting shot, he should have written ticket outside cruiser or approached passenger side, called for another car. Whatever buddy. If he REALLY believed he was going to get shot, there would have been other behavior besides sit back in car like a dope.
Me: I'm sorry but I don't feel comfortable given the circumstances to reach for my firearm. I'm also a certified instructor if that makes you feel any better. (it shouldn't, and I'm not sure that it did)
Officer: Please stay in the car, and keep hands where I can see them. THAT SHOULD HAVE BEEN ENTIRE CONVO RIGHT THERE

After a long wait...

Officer: I'm giving you a warning for the expired inspection. It would have been a lot faster if you had given me the firearm. GAY That way I could simply do my paperwork instead of having to write a line and look up, write a line and look up, etc. He should be doing that anyways.. ICKY Guns or not. I saw the top of your LTC when you were getting your license, which is why I asked. I'm not trying to infringe on any rights; I carry every day. ROFL
Me: I understand and appreciate how you feel, but I just didn't feel that there was any safe way for me to hand the gun over. You are 100% right. Unless there is a need to secure the gun (medical or arrest) it should stay where it belongs.

And that was pretty much it. The overall tone was short of friendly but mutually courteous, and I appreciate that he stated his desire not to infringe. That being said, I find it generally disheartening that he says he was trained to disarm a law abiding citizen in order to avoid "getting a bullet in the head". I have nothing but respect for the job that police officers do, but that made me sad.

Oh yeah, and my kids were in the back seat. I had to explain why the nice officer felt the need to say that he didn't want a bullet to the head.

Not a bad experience overall I suppose (hey, only a warning!). It was just a strange mix for me; he was very non-confrontational with his tone but at the same time managed to make me feel like he sees a licensed carrier as an inherent unknown/threat.

Just thought I'd share. That is all.

my comments in red.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been pulled over at least a dozen times as an adult and never have been asked once if I had firearms. What town were you in?

So he just walked up and asked what are you carrying? I was pulled over for the same thing (only time pulled over since ltc) and guns were never brought up.

Why do we have to disarm ourselves for a traffic stop? I do not find in necessary to get out of my car on the side of the road to unholster/unload my weapon. At least he was respectful of our rights.

Another lesson that comes out of this is keep your LTC somewhere else in your wallet so that it isn't visible. Might have avoided any discussion about your firearm in the first place that way.

I definitely considered this, but he really just caught a glimpse of the top "Commonwealth of Massachusetts" banner. Next time I'll just make sure my wallet is facing the other way.

The cop knew about the LTC and all of his guns before he got out of his cruiser the first time.

Actually I asked him about that. He claimed that unless it was issued by the town or there was something outstanding from the State Police that it would not be instantly visible.

ETA: This happened in Natick.

That's crazy! He is afraid of getting a bullet in the head but he wants you to 'draw' your firearm and hand it over?

OP, thanks for an interesting post.

I guess I'll get flamed for this but I don't see the Police Officer's point of view to be that unreasonable. He didn't push it either which makes him one of the good guys in my opinion.

Actually the most interesting thing I got from the discussion so far was that if I ever find myself in this situation (unlikely as I very rarely carry), one potential approach is to let the Police Officer unholster the pistol himself. As someone said, I certainly wouldn't put my hand on my own weapon with the cop standing at the driver's window.

Last edited:
OP, thanks for an interesting post.

I guess I'll get flamed for this but I don't see the Police Officer's point of view to be that unreasonable. He didn't push it either which makes him one of the good guys in my opinion.

Actually the most interesting thing I got from the discussion so far was that if I ever find myself in this situation (unlikely as I very rarely carry), one potential approach is to let the Police Officer unholster the pistol himself. As someone said, I certainly wouldn't put my hand on my own weapon with the cop standing at the driver's window.
it's not so much unreasonable as it is a perfect depiction of what a lot of the cops in the bad cops stories have ingrained in their head, a sense of paranoia almost that in many cases leads to escalation... thankfully this cop didn't allow himself to immediately perceive the OP as a threat and draw on him and order him out of the car in front of his kids, or worse. But we have seen many times where that does happen and an otherwise peaceful citation for an expired inspection sticker winds up on the news

... thankfully this cop didn't allow himself to immediately perceive the OP as a threat and draw on him and order him out of the car in front of his kids, or worse. But we have seen many times where that does happen and an otherwise peaceful citation for an expired inspection sticker winds up on the news

Well, if that happened to me I would shut my mouth and do EXACTLY what the cop told me to do. And then later I would sue and collect my $50,000.

Well, if that happened to me I would shut my mouth and do EXACTLY what the cop told me to do. And then later I would sue and collect my $50,000.

Because it is that easy, right? Sue, and they just hand over money? I'm not sure it works they way you think it works...

[wink]

Safest place is in the holster...especially a fella with a LTC and kids in the car. Moron...no excuse for that request. Kudos for telling him *politely* to shove it.

The officer either had bad training or didn't listen to what he was told. If he hadn't seen the LTC would he have assumed that the OP didn't have a weapon? Would he have not written a line, looked up, written a line, looked up...? Does he ask everyone he stops if he has any weapons? Many officers do, routinely.

It was a pretty odd encounter, I'll grant that.

That line was crap. If you really would put a bullet in his head, it would have happened immediately.

Excellent idea. I just moved my DL into a separate slot so nobody ever has to see the LTC. Thanks! [wink]

To the OP. Glad it went fairly smoothly, but sad that is what these guys are being trained in.

That's crazy! He is afraid of getting a bullet in the head but he wants you to 'draw' your firearm and hand it over?
Exactly my thoughts. I'm afraid you might shoot me so why don't you pull your gun out... huh??

Safest place is in the holster...especially a fella with a LTC and kids in the car. Moron...no excuse for that request. Kudos for telling him *politely* to shove it.

Okay, had a similar experience in Braintree. This officer was a bit aggressive because I came off the from route 3 ramp and into the rotary a little faster than the posted speed limit, say 40mph instead of 20mph. He didn't like my attitude, or my radar detector.... "why do you need that?" answer because I would prefer to avoid the speeding ticket.... "oh, so you speed all the time? Where are you going?.... Answer: The gun range, its been a rough week and I'm anxious to get to the range... " You have firearms in the vehicle?" Yes. Here's my LTC, no restrictions "Are you carrying on your person?" Yes a Sig 239 40. "Is it in a holster?" Yes. I have two more on the passenger floor in my gun bag. A 45 colt and S&W 1911. Would you like to inspect them?. "ah, no that's all right. Be right back with your ticket." I'll admit I was very nervous and at first was not going to say anything, but he was just so obnoxious about the radar Detector... Would like to hear of other experiences... Heard/read that one should produce the LTC with the license in those situations. Not sure what the right reaction should be... Any suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom