• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

PSA - Don't throw out your old license

You can't.

So LEO can confiscate until things get sorted out. Or you can submit a request for a replacement LTC (dupe of the one you threw away).

Len, I know that this may vary from town-to-town, but how long is reasonable to expect for a duplicate replacement of an LTC...?

I have a vague memory that if you move out of state, and do all the proper notifications (certified letters, etc.), they expire your license on the spot rather than canceling or revoking it. So that if you should ever happen into the Commonwealth with firearms and ammunition again, the same provisions about "possession/carrying on an expired license" apply.

Is that true?

Of course, the right thing to do is to get a nonresident LTC, especially if you intend to visit MA with firearms and ammo. But if the "expired license" thing is true, at least it saves you from being an unwitting felon if you cross the border by accident.

Nonresident LTC is its own pain because it's $100, requires a trip to Chelsea, and is only good for a year. :-/ There's a bill pending to change that so it's valid for 6 years, but who knows if that'll pass.

I have a vague memory that if you move out of state, and do all the proper notifications (certified letters, etc.), they expire your license on the spot rather than canceling or revoking it. So that if you should ever happen into the Commonwealth with firearms and ammunition again, the same provisions about "possession/carrying on an expired license" apply.

Is that true?

Of course, the right thing to do is to get a nonresident LTC, especially if you intend to visit MA with firearms and ammo. But if the "expired license" thing is true, at least it saves you from being an unwitting felon if you cross the border by accident.

Nonresident LTC is its own pain because it's $100, requires a trip to Chelsea, and is only good for a year. :-/ There's a bill pending to change that so it's valid for 6 years, but who knows if that'll pass.
1. The FRB tends to use the term "expiring" when a license is invalidated for non-punitive reasons.

2. The expired license thing is true. There was a case where the commonwealth argued 15 years (+/-) was too long and the intent was only to help with short term failures to renew. The court held the law meant what is said.

3. Do not expect police officers in the field to understand this nuance of MGL. You can pay your attorney $$ to explain it and argue the point or pay him/her $ to negotiate the plea bargain/CWOF. (the system does not always withdraw the attack the face of actual innocence as it dings the win/loss scorecard). If the gun is really nice, you can pay $$$ for repeated motions seeking an order for the police to return it.

Last edited:
Passport is RealID-compliant.

The passport card is a nice, convenient-to-carry alternative to a Real ID compliant driver license, if you only fly domestic. I currently have a US passport in booklet format; I'll probably get both the booklet and the card when my passport comes up for renewal in a few years.

The passport card is a nice, convenient-to-carry alternative to a Real ID compliant driver license, if you only fly domestic. I currently have a US passport in booklet format; I'll probably get both the booklet and the card when my passport comes up for renewal in a few years.

If your interested you can apply for the passport card at anytime. They run independent of each other with different issue and expiration dates. Each are good for 10 years from date of issue.

This too. I'm a hold out re: realid license. I just used my passport card to drive to Canada. It's pretty handy

Len, I know that this may vary from town-to-town, but how long is reasonable to expect for a duplicate replacement of an LTC...?
Two weeks would be reasonable. PD requests via MIRCS, FRB prints a new one and sends it to PD, PD mails it to you (some may call you to pick it up).

You need papers the govt considers to be in order. Read ID and passport both count, but stop identifying you once expired.
I was always amused by this. I was in a 6-month SW training fellowship after DEC and needed to prove US Citizenship for the program. Showed the state employee my Passport but it would expire part way thru that 6-month period. I was told that when it expired, I'd have to prove again that I was still a US Citizen with birth certificate or renewed Passport. Duh!! I never knew that it was that easy for a US-born (to US-born Parents) Citizen to lose their citizenship!

Two weeks would be reasonable. PD requests via MIRCS, FRB prints a new one and sends it to PD, PD mails it to you (some may call you to pick it up).

Any idea of cost? If reasonable, OP may want to consider starting the process.

I wouldn't get caught dead without my ccw weapon...

Any idea of cost? If reasonable, OP may want to consider starting the process.

I wouldn't get caught dead without my ccw weapon...
Zero! Per MGL, lost/stolen LTCs/FIDs are to be replaced for free. Boston PD of course was charging $100 (IIRC that was the amount) but I think that they got called on it and stopped that illegal behavior.

Thanks Len! I think a quick call to the issuing PD and the OP will be in good standing again for CCW, possession and purchases.
Your help and knowledge is always top-notch and timely. Thanks for being a member of Our Community.
~Matt

This too. I'm a hold out re: realid license. I just used my passport card to drive to Canada. It's pretty handy

I was just lazy when my license came up for renewal earlier this year. I could have gotten a Real ID license if I'd assembled a bunch of documentation and gone to the RMV with it...or I could renew by mail. I don't fly often enough for it to be worth the bother, and I have a passport anyway. There's a possibility that I might end up doing a bunch of flying for $CURRENT_JOB, though.

Umm, reading the new LTC would have avoided that problem. The "date of issue" stated on it is the date it becomes valid and not a day earlier. I never carry the new one until my birthday, I just put it and the PIN letter in my safe until then. I've seen others with the same problem as you encountered, but reading it should avoid the problem altogether.

Not DLs here, OP is referring to LTCs and those numbers do change ever time you renew (and your PIN does also).
I renewed my last LTC early and my licensing officer actually informed me of this potential problem. Told me to keep the old one until the new one is valid in case I try to make a purchase. The guy knew his shit!

they warned me to not start using the new license until the start date.
My licensing officer also informed me of the potential issue when I renewed early. Told me do not toss toss your old one until the new one is valid.

Back
Top Bottom