Proof of Address at Bass Pro

IMO, depending on use you want the 590A1 version instead of the 590.
The 590A1 is sweet. If I had a specific use case I would consider it, but this started with "oh lets get a cheap 500 pump shotgun because I don't have one" and upgraded to the 590 and then i like the look of the wood furniture.

but this started with "oh lets get a cheap 500 pump shotgun because I don't have one"
That's kinda where I am now, thinking one of the hunting combos and no one seems to have any. Just to have, probably won't ever use. Didn't realize you could order one at BP, I had it in my head for some reason that they don't sell Mossberg anymore. Might have to look into it. I live about 4mi from BP & go there a bit, but never seriously considered buying a gun there, guess maybe I'll check it out.

I used to stop into Bass Pro if I was out that way for work. Walked in a couple years ago to see if they had any ammo, saw the new Lyman reloading book. Walked up to the counter and was asked for my LTC. I walked out, left the book there and haven't been back.

That's kinda where I am now, thinking one of the hunting combos and no one seems to have any. Just to have, probably won't ever use. Didn't realize you could order one at BP, I had it in my head for some reason that they don't sell Mossberg anymore. Might have to look into it. I live about 4mi from BP & go there a bit, but never seriously considered buying a gun there, guess maybe I'll check it out.
Well, there is one there right now if you want it. [laugh]

I used to stop into Bass Pro if I was out that way for work. Walked in a couple years ago to see if they had any ammo, saw the new Lyman reloading book. Walked up to the counter and was asked for my LTC. I walked out, left the book there and haven't been back.
yeah.. that happened to me too.. and I f***ing worked there and knew the CS rep ringing me up. it's because 1) the inventory/point of sale system has everything flagged in that subdepartment to ask for license, and 2) the checkout people aren't clued in enough to know the laws., 3) zombies get behind automated systems and drone out. DUH.. system tells my do this.. I do it. Kinda like buying beer or wine at some supermarkets... 17yo at the counter is gonna ask for ID, bc the register told him to, even if you look 80. Sad actually that there's no critical thinking anymore..

you know.. thinking more about this.. for every Big Box Gun Store with questionable corporate policies, there's a shitty LGS who has no problem f***ing over everybody. I won't name names but having been around here long enough.. we all know them.

yeah.. that happened to me too.. and I f***ing worked there and knew the CS rep ringing me up. it's because 1) the inventory/point of sale system has everything flagged in that subdepartment to ask for license, and 2) the checkout people aren't clued in enough to know the laws., 3) zombies get behind automated systems and drone out. DUH.. system tells my do this.. I do it. Kinda like buying beer or wine at some supermarkets... 17yo at the counter is gonna ask for ID, bc the register told him to, even if you look 80. Sad actually that there's no critical thinking anymore..

you know.. thinking more about this.. for every Big Box Gun Store with questionable corporate policies, there's a shitty LGS who has no problem f***ing over everybody. I won't name names but having been around here long enough.. we all know them.
At least most of the liquor store people have enough brains to most of the time not ask for ID.

Bass Pro and Cabelas take stupid to a new level.

Shooters Outpost refuses to accept the new written address on the back of the drivers license. They don’t care that it is the official method of updating your address on your ID.
They refused to sell me a gun when I had a MA FFL. The lad behind the counter said “I need to check with the owner”. Fair enough I said and drove to Reilly’s and bought the same gun!

When they first opened, all kinds of real men were buying "off list" guns from Bass Pro.. Pretty sure it was the douche bag in Attleboro that called the AG on Bass Pro.
Opening night they sold Glocks with standard capacity mags and other guns that were off-list. The "Rat" used his red phone to the AG and the next morning BP was trying frantically to retrieve all the Glocks (that's all that the Rat reported). I was there both opening night and the following morning. The Rat was a BOD member of MF&G at the time as was I and he bragged about reporting them at our following BOD meeting.

Opening night they sold Glocks with standard capacity mags and other guns that were off-list. The "Rat" used his red phone to the AG and the next morning BP was trying frantically to retrieve all the Glocks (that's all that the Rat reported). I was there both opening night and the following morning. The Rat was a BOD member of MF&G at the time as was I and he bragged about reporting them at our following BOD meeting.

That's right up there w/ the NRA Pistol instructor who taught at MF&G and told the class that they should provide a list of guns to their chief of police as a courtesy even though it's not required. I almost fell off my chair. I was already certified HFS instructor and needed to take basic pistol in order to get my pistol instructor cert. Oh, and he gave me some handwritten card stating that I took the course, took me about a week and a half to get him to provide the proper certificate so I could attend the instructor course. Aside from those two morons, MF&G has great people.

That's right up there w/ the NRA Pistol instructor who taught at MF&G and told the class that they should provide a list of guns to their chief of police as a courtesy even though it's not required. I almost fell off my chair. I was already certified HFS instructor and needed to take basic pistol in order to get my pistol instructor cert. Oh, and he gave me some handwritten card stating that I took the course, took me about a week and a half to get him to provide the proper certificate so I could attend the instructor course. Aside from those two morons, MF&G has great people.
The Rat hasn't been a MF&G member in a lot of years. He's screwing up Angle Tree from what I've been told.

If there was no other way to get this gun I'd do that but coordinating seller and FFL isn't worth the hassle when I have this gun in store waiting for me.
The hole you’re standing in will stop getting deeper when you take the shovel out of your hands.

It’s not like it’s something irreplaceable. Screw the damn acrobatics. Get the refund and learn your lesson.

If there was no other way to get this gun I'd do that but coordinating seller and FFL isn't worth the hassle when I have this gun in store waiting for me.
So, did you get this gun or what?

Because one shipped from GB on Monday will be on your hands by Wednesday/Thursday without creating a headache for you.

Since I know everyone is dying to know what happened:

I picked up this shotgun from Cabelas in Hudson and they didn’t give me a hard time about my address and didn’t ask for any of the paperwork I sourced to prove my current address. The sales rep was great and the whole experience was entirely positive after being burned by Bass Pro.

Well, there is one there right now if you want it. [laugh]
Some dude recognized the 590 retrograde sitting on the back counter while I was waiting for the background check and asked to see it. Thankfully the clerk had the sense to say it was sold so no he couldn’t.

I picked up this shotgun from Cabelas in Hudson and they didn’t give me a hard time about my address and didn’t ask for any of the paperwork I sourced to prove my current address. The sales rep was great and the whole experience was entirely positive after being burned by Bass Pro.
So ... you had another one shipped to Cabelas?

Did you have it transferred between shops?

This could be interesting, how does it work, do you have to pay when you order it online or when you pick it up?

Thinking someone could order 50 guns and never pick them up. [laugh]

Lesson learned, never going back to Bass Pro. It was a model that I couldn't find anywhere else locally and no one seemed interested in ordering for me.

Bill doesn't work, has to be state or federal. All of the online bill payments, online renewals, etc have completed screwed me.

there’s always someone on gunbroker. Make a few phone calls not that hard. Then inbound to a local, done. Lot better than subjecting yourself to box store garbage. bps/cabelas is for tickytack stuff, not guns.

there’s always someone on gunbroker. Make a few phone calls not that hard. Then inbound to a local, done. Lot better than subjecting yourself to box store garbage. bps/cabelas is for tickytack stuff, not guns.
I've done that many times before, usually not a problem but for whatever reason Bass Pro is full of idiots while Cabela's was a perfectly normal experience.

Did you have it transferred between shops?
Yeah, they transferred between shops for free. I ordered it to a Bass Pro that was near the range I was going to that day thinking how can they screw up a shotgun transfer. Decided to have them ship from Bass Pro to Cabela's in a more convenient area for the second trip to pick it up.

Let's keep this short and sweet.

1. I ordered a specific Mossberg shotgun that I wanted and today I went to pick up in store at Bass Pro.
2. Side note: I moved about a year ago. My driver's license and MA LTC both show my old address because they are both over a year old.
3. Bass Pro will not give me my gun if I don't have a printed state or federal document with my current address on it that they can upload.

So the questions are: How bullshit is this? and What does everyone else do? What's the quickest way I can get a printed verification that I live here.
Question for you.

If you were selling a firearm FTF and the buyer showed you a DL and CCW permit with a handwritten address on a sticker on the back, would you sell him/her the firearm?

Just curious?

Question for you.

If you were selling a firearm FTF and the buyer showed you a DL and CCW permit with a handwritten address on a sticker on the back, would you sell him/her the firearm?

Just curious?
Why wouldn't you? That is and has been the way MA does it. If the LTC clears, there's no rational reason to refuse.

Signed,
An American with handwritten address updates on his LTC and DL

Question for you.

Just curious?
Yes I would. If the LTC is valid (matches the person handing it to me, isn't expired, isn't an obvious forgery) then I've done my due diligence and wouldn't be shocked that someone moved in the past 6 years.

All this talk about how Bass Pro sucks, but remember when Dick's used to record your LTC# whenever you bought ammo?
Doesn't Cabela's do that too? Dick's was fine when I bought a shotgun except after purchasing the lady at the counter had to walk the boxed gun to the front entrance before I could have it. She apologized and said it's corporate policy. I just pretended it's a concierge service.

Back
Top Bottom