Prep of The Day Thread

I just got back from Costco. Been meaning to go but been having knee issues because I was "dumb" and injured myself. Decided I didn't want to wait until tomorrow because Fridays can be really busy here.

I instantly noticed it was much busier than I am used to during the week but I also usually would have shopped there earlier in the day but I couldn't today. I did notice that the people checking carts seemed to be pretty "loose" in their checks as I walked in past them to head to the restroom. Figured I would get more details on the way out. Let me first say that it's hard to judge if people are doing their "normal" Costco shopping because most people look like the "ultimate prepper" any time they shop at Costco. I did notice a high proportion of Asians. And yes, we have lots of every type of people here, but no, I don't usually see such a large proportion of the shoppers being Asian. And maybe it's just perception bias because of the coronavirus.

So, when I was checking out in the self checkout I asked the attendant "is it always this busy this time of day?" He said yes and you should have seen it yesterday. Then he actually came back as I was about to leave and said, in a half whisper, "people are worried about the coronavirus." I did not have the time to ask him if this was what he was being told by customers or if it was his assumption as he stepped away to help someone else.

I bring my own reusable bags. I hate the boxes and I buy meat and frozen fish and some frozen veggies so I also have "cooler bags." I use these at every store down here instead of a cooler as any time of year we can have very hot temps. Plus, it's easier to get my groceries into the apartment. I always pack my bags and leave them open at the top to be checked. The "checker" usually will at least stick their nose into the bag and "attempt" to count items. Today the checker placed his hand on 1 item in each bag (as if counting), looked at the slip, and then asked if I had bought 3 butters (Kerrygold!). I said yes and off I went. Very cursory check. I don't think they have the time or the man power to really check.

Today the checker placed his hand on 1 item in each bag (as if counting), looked at the slip, and then asked if I had bought 3 butters (Kerrygold!). I said yes and off I went. Very cursory check. I don't think they have the time or the man power to really check.

It's really just theatre. Like going through an airport.
My local Walmart doesn't check anymore, but they did put in an automatic gate that opens when you walk in to the store (past customer service) which I thought was kind of weird. Maybe to prevent people from trying to return something they just grabbed off of the shelf? Not really sure.

My local Walmart doesn't check anymore, but they did put in an automatic gate that opens when you walk in to the store (past customer service) which I thought was kind of weird. Maybe to prevent people from trying to return something they just grabbed off of the shelf? Not really sure.

Walmart receipt checking is theatre. I walk right by everytime.

Costco receipt checking is a contractual agreement with your paid membership rules. They could revoke your membership if they desired for not complying. ( doubtful they would but legally in the right to do so).

Picked up some extra cold and flu meds, water, tp (Im set for the foreseeable future) and realized I had almost no Kleenex in the house so grabbed some. Also picked up some honey, instant pho and a good sized bag of chocolate for comfort items. This was at Costco which seemed like a normal non-panicky day. Browsing hand sanitizer online and seems like a good amount of oos or in-store-only for some items fwiw. (CVS, Staples. aloe sanitizer, small sized bottles)

Ran through BJs in Quincy to stock up a little extra on my way home tonight. Got the last of the gallons of water, alcohol and peroxide. Not pictured is the extra 48lb dog food and frozen items

Attachments

• DAC387AC-D776-4863-8429-54DC13BF8471.jpeg
    DAC387AC-D776-4863-8429-54DC13BF8471.jpeg
    159.6 KB · Views: 42
Put up some antibiotics and prednisone. Augmentin and Doxy still inbound. Also 1000 of aspirin, tylenol, ibuprofen, and aleve. enerics of 2 dayquil, 2 nyquil, 2 delsym, 100 benadryl and 100 imodium. Also bought powdered gatorade in bulk for hydration. Also 4 containers each on peroxide, 70% iso, and witch hazel. VISA card feels warm to the touch from recent use

1582863854429.png

Picked up 2x 5# bags and 1x 10# bag of rice, 6 cans each of black beans, red kidney beans, and chick peas; for a total of 24 cans. That is about the limit for my storage for now. 76 cents a can at Walmart. This has me thinking about meat. Can jerky be cooked and added to this stuff? I know frozen would work, but I'm thinking about something not involving electricity.

Walmart shopping list:
coffee
peanut butter
toilet paper
Lysol

Last edited:
Ordered Eyeglasses from Zenni- they have them under ten bucks if going cheap. Took a while to get script from my eye dr or I would have ordered them earlier. Also the dollar store has whole milk in shelf stable cartons. Mix that with the powdered and kids will tolerate it.

I hit CVS for some sleep meds, Mucinex and the largest bottle of ibuprofen I could find. I'm not really afraid of everything selling out. I just don't want to have to go to the drug store when all the sick people start going. I also avoid any routine Dr. visits during flu season cause the place if full of sick people.

Not sure if it has been previously mentioned in this thread. I am too lazy to scroll back up. An inexpensive sinus wash system like a Neti pot helps a lot. I use it every day when I get home from work. I mix pickling salt and baking soda as a homemade solution. (don't use iodized salt).

1582921239704.png

Epic day at Bj’s.

Meat for the new chest freezer:
6 pounds baby back ribs
15 pounds boneless chicken breasts
3.5 pounds turkey breast roast
7 pounds pork loin
5.5 pounds beef chuck short ribs
4 pounds beef stew meat
16.5 pound sirloin strip
6 pounds pork rib roast
4 pounds petite filet

Misc. preps:
3-40 pack Poland Spring water
1-24 pack Gatorade Zero
1-Gatorade powder 76.5oz
2-44oz Purell assorted pk
1-Tylenol 290 count
1-Advil 360 count
1-2pk Delsym cough syrup
2-Charmin soft mega 40 rl
2-doz Kleenex 70ct
1-4C Lemonade powder three pack
4-doz eggs
1-3pk Classico tom. sauce
1-8pk Hunts Fire roasted diced tomatoes

This was just in my cart. My wife’s cart had the weekly necessities. [laugh]

My local WW did that too. I think you will find that the receipt checker position will be done away with and this way people can only come through a register lane.

I ordered 2 sets of goggles back in January. They must have been lost in the post office sauce. They sent me 2 more pairs and the ones I ordered a month ago just arrived.

Epic day at Bj’s.

Meat for the new chest freezer:
6 pounds baby back ribs
15 pounds boneless chicken breasts
3.5 pounds turkey breast roast
7 pounds pork loin
5.5 pounds beef chuck short ribs
4 pounds beef stew meat
16.5 pound sirloin strip
6 pounds pork rib roast
4 pounds petite filet

Misc. preps:
3-40 pack Poland Spring water
1-24 pack Gatorade Zero
1-Gatorade powder 76.5oz
2-44oz Purell assorted pk
1-Tylenol 290 count
1-Advil 360 count
1-2pk Delsym cough syrup
2-Charmin soft mega 40 rl
2-doz Kleenex 70ct
1-4C Lemonade powder three pack
4-doz eggs
1-3pk Classico tom. sauce
1-8pk Hunts Fire roasted diced tomatoes

This was just in my cart. My wife’s cart had the weekly necessities. [laugh]

nice shopping trip

a thought - unless you're diabetic, buying Gatorade ZERO is counterintuitive to storing calories..

nice shopping trip

a thought - unless you're diabetic, buying Gatorade ZERO is counterintuitive to storing calories..
I drink it on a daily bases. That would be a shit ton of sugar. I need the electrolytes. But, to your point, I did purchase the regular Gatorade 76.5 oz. powder, at the same time, just in case. ⬆[wink] Also, my father has type 2 diabetes. I try to watch
the sugar intake because of that. He got it around my age. So far so good, for me.

... picked up some honey, instant pho and a good sized bag of chocolate for comfort items. This was at Costco which seemed like a normal non-panicky day. Browsing hand sanitizer online and seems like a good amount of oos or in-store-only for some items fwiw. (CVS, Staples. aloe sanitizer, small sized bottles)
You guys are killing me today. Pho? Phosphate? Phosphorus?

As for the sanitizer, I just read on here today that it doesn't work, so don't bother.

Don't forget coffee. I have 5 or 6 1lb cans with a new percolator coffee pot I grabbed from Amazon
I did that as well. been trying out the percolator the past few days. Haven't quite figured it out yet I get a cup full of coffee grinds. I'll drink anything so it doesn't bother me too much but I must be doing something wrong.

You guys are killing me today. Pho? Phosphate? Phosphorus?

As for the sanitizer, I just read on here today that it doesn't work, so don't bother.
[laugh]

1583108536093.png

eta- Im not a big fan of stuff that comes in plastic that you heat up in the microwave, but this was really good. Snapdragon brand at Costco.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom