• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Prep of The Day Thread

I broke down,50 pounds of rice and 25 lb of beans and lentils. Into 2 pound packages with oxygen absorbers. Then sealed. Also did 5 lb of sugar and salt. Took me about 4 hours. Never packaging that much at once again.

I broke down,50 pounds of rice and 25 lb of beans and lentils. Into 2 pound packages with oxygen absorbers. Then sealed. Also did 5 lb of sugar and salt. Took me about 4 hours. Never packaging that much at once again.

I know the feeling. I had 800Lbs of hard red winter wheat delivered once and had to bucket it up in mylar, O2 absorbers and nitrogen purged using a nitrogen tank. It was almost an all day affair. [thumbsup] [thumbsup]

Last edited:
I know the feeling. I had 800Lbs of hard red winter wheat delivered once and had to my bucket it up in mylar, O2 absorbers and nitrogen purged using a nitrogen tank. It was almost an all day affair. [thumbsup] [thumbsup]
I wouldn't even know what to do with it. I did buy a few cans of the honey weat bread mix made by ready hour though. Lol

I wouldn't even know what to do with it. I did buy a few cans of the honey weat bread mix made by ready hour though. Lol

Well, you need one of these and you can grind flour to make bread. This is a GrainMaker mill with precision ground adjustable stainless steel blades. It will grind flour course or as fine as talcom powder.
It's manually operated or you can add a motor with a v belt. I have a 12v DC Bodine motor with a speed control to drive it. You keep the rpm at or below 100 and the blades won't heat up, it works really well. You can grind corn meal or crack corn for feed or grind any grain in it.
These mills are built like a tank. I'm quite sure it will last a hundred years or more. Made in USA.
image.jpeg

Last edited:
Nice pantry. Did you get the gamma seals local?

I bought a bunch locally at Lowe’s. They were perfect. The orange ones I bought off of Amazon. They seem to be out of spec. Not getting a good seal. They seem to be a little warped. I complained to BayTec, the distributor, and they are sending me out replacements. I’ll keep the old ones ( they said to keep them) for something less than long-term food storage. But yeah you can get them at Lowe’s. The white ones. They were great.
These are the Amazon ones. NFG
CF58600E-CD29-489E-BA5D-B252D863451E.jpeg 2E3C4CDC-0CB0-46D1-8909-54EA825F1441.jpeg

-not sure if mentioned but, Chicken Soup!
Made a double batch. Separated, and froze.

If you do get sick, you prolly don't want others to have to risk it to bring you stuff.

Day started with the thought: What would I need if I got sick? - even if just a shitty flu.

List started from there....
More bags of stuff....

Hand sanitizer. Bought a bunch a month ago and realized I was using it faster than expected as I was using it as if every single surface I touched was infected. I looked to buy some more of the same on Amazon and the prices have gone up substantially. I found that Staples has tons of hand sanitizer to be ordered online and shipped free at original pricing. I'm a fan of the Purell soothing gel.

Expect this to be the next thing in short supply

+1. I'm so afraid I'm gonna mess it up and die of botulism.
it's actually pretty easy. I was terrified at first as well and I STILL keep the instructions out instead of trusting my memory.
We are currently using food that we canned up to 8 years ago. Haven't died yet!

Nice Canndo!!!!

Question for you guys on milk:
What is the best tasting substitute? I saw a few different things in the store, evaporated milk, powdered milk? What should I be getting?

+1. I'm so afraid I'm gonna mess it up and die of botulism.

Your chances of botulism poisoning is very slim to none in home jar canning if your food is processed right.
Plus, you can see the food through the glass and you would know immediately if ther was something awry.

If you work clean, make sure jar tops are wiped clean before placing the lid and you process for the prescribed times for the jar size and food type you are extremely unlikely to mess up.
In all the canning I've done over the years, I've only had one jar of tomatoes go bad and that was because of a dented lid from handling. It was readily apparent and I just dumped it out and sterilized the jar for reuse.
Botulism takes very specific conditions to grow in and it is very rare in home canning if a couple of basic food handling rules are followed.

Nice Canndo!!!!

Question for you guys on milk:
What is the best tasting substitute? I saw a few different things in the store, evaporated milk, powdered milk? What should I be getting?

Dry Powdered milk will last the longest. None of them really taste that great compared to regular fresh milk but hey....we're talking adverse conditions.....when you eat and drink for nutrition not necessarily for taste.
Keep some chocolate syrup on hand and squeeze a little in the glass, it helps improve the taste.

Personally I don't mind powdered milk, I've had plenty of it in my life as a kid and I guess I got used to it. Serving it cold and several hours after mixing seems to improve the taste too.

Pretty well stocked up on cans and rice etc freezer full of venison and other meats. Going to stock up on hand sanitizer TP other house hold essentials this weekend.
worst case scenario I would have to resort to jacking deer in the backyard

Ya I'm sure canned stuff will last even longer. My wife is vegetarian so I'm used to almond milk type stuff by now. We use it for cooking etc and of course you won't need to add water when they may be in short supply.i really need to get back to BJs and stock up on canned stuff. I grabbed an 8lb bag of basmati rice that has a ziplock enclosure once it's opened. Do I really need to get buckets and mylar? Or will this do for a fees months to a year?

Ya I'm sure canned stuff will last even longer. My wife is vegetarian so I'm used to almond milk type stuff by now. We use it for cooking etc and of course you won't need to add water when they may be in short supply.i really need to get back to BJs and stock up on canned stuff. I grabbed an 8lb bag of basmati rice that has a ziplock enclosure once it's opened. Do I really need to get buckets and mylar? Or will this do for a fees months to a year?

I bought some Jasmine Rice this morning (Goya) which has an expiration date of late 2021 or early 2022

I keep it for rotating use in canisters like this:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EQEYIX6

If you keep it in the original bag, I would find a bucket or container to put in to prevent mouse damage

I did a "stock up" today of paper products and our normal "cleaning products." We actually don't need that much. I spent just under $120 and probably have enough for 4 months if SHTF. It also keeps me from having to go to the evil WW if nothing happens as well which I try to limit my number of visits anyway.

Mylar and O2 absorbers are for long term storage ( several years). The mylar bags are used because they block light, are tough and can be sealed with a clothes iron on a board. The buckets are for ease of handling and stacking and to keep most rodents from chewing into an unprotected bag. I've also just put wheat in a gasketed bucket, no bag and nitrogen purged it. It all works.....some just works better and longer than other methods.

Rats if hungry enough can/will chew through a bucket but it's very unlikely unless you have a rat problem to begin with.

Storing in original packaging is ok but if it allows air in ( oxygen) it will affect the texture.....makes grains hard. If you keep enough on hand and just rotate through it you should be fine.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom