• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Prep of The Day Thread

Ran through BJs in Quincy to stock up a little extra on my way home tonight. Got the last of the gallons of water, alcohol and peroxide. Not pictured is the extra 48lb dog food and frozen items
Why would you buy gallons of water and not just buy a couple 5 gallon jugs and fill them from the faucet?

I changed this weeks dinner menu and grocery list so I can cook up a couple extra batches of food and freeze in serving sizes. Specifically meals that the veg gets cooked into the meal instead of being a separate dish.
Last year I had extensive spine surgery.....I prepped a month of dinners like these well before and it worked out great!
I wasn't expecting the many meals my neighbors brought over, or the dog walking they did for me. :)

Normal Americans that you might see at work or in the store. I've never seen nor heard of it before, and don't recall ever hearing any family, friends, or coworkers talking about eating it.

I saw an episode of Phantom Gourmet that featured a Vietnamese restaurant in Framingham, Pho Dakao. It's a noodle soup pronounced "fu" as in f.u. Haven't tried it, but it looks good.

Normal Americans that you might see at work or in the store. I've never seen nor heard of it before, and don't recall ever hearing any family, friends, or coworkers talking about eating it.
Sure, it’s become more mainstream, Similar to Ramen soup but with rice noodles. Add fresh meats, veggies, soft boiled eggs. Mmmmmm

I saw an episode of Phantom Gourmet that featured a Vietnamese restaurant in Framingham, Pho Dakao. It's a noodle soup pronounced "fu" as in f.u. Haven't tried it, but it looks good.
Ive been saying "foe" for years and then a kid in work told me its pronounced "fah", and now Im hearing "fu" so I think Im going with "that Vietnamese soup".

I was introduced to it by a coworker who was raised in China. Its really good.

Tbh (to be honest [wink] ) Im not really a pretentious food snob who feels the need to eat stuff that no one has ever heard of just to make myself feel important or whatever, just happened to stumble across it. For packaged instant food I thought it was pretty good. Nothing like the stuff you get in a restaurant of course but not bad for instant. In a restaurant, it comes with fresh vegetables and thinly sliced roast beef, along with the noodles and broth.

I was introduced to it by a coworker who was raised in China. Its really good.

Tbh (to be honest [wink] ) Im not really a pretentious food snob who feels the need to eat stuff that no one has ever heard of just to make myself feel important or whatever, just happened to stumble across it. For packaged instant food I thought it was pretty good. Nothing like the stuff you get in a restaurant of course but not bad for instant. In a restaurant, it comes with fresh vegetables and thinly sliced roast beef, along with the noodles and broth.
I make it a lot at home. I use this you can get it on Amazon. It is as good as any restaurant. I tried many different manufacturers till I found this one. I mix the tea bags in with the powder. So you can make smaller portions because it makes a couple of gallons.

Attachments

• IMG_20200301_200716908.jpg
    IMG_20200301_200716908.jpg
    172.1 KB · Views: 42
I make it a lot at home. I use this you can get it on Amazon. It is as good as any restaurant. I tried many different manufacturers till I found this one. I mix the tea bags in with the powder. So you can make smaller portions because it makes a couple of gallons.
Nice. Im gonna try that

What do you mean regarding the tea bags?

What do you mean regarding the tea bags?
It comes with a couple of spice packets that resemble tea bags. That you're supposed to boil in the broth for 20 minutes.
One jar makes 20 portions. I'm assuming it's geared more towards a restaurant. So I open up the packets and mix them in with the powder. That way you can make smaller portions. You don't get that completely clear broth you get in a restaurant. Because the little pieces of spices are in there. But the taste is spot-on.

It comes with a couple of spice packets that resemble tea bags. That you're supposed to boil in the broth for 20 minutes.
One jar makes 20 portions. I'm assuming it's geared more towards a restaurant. So I open up the packets and mix them in with the powder. That way you can make smaller portions. You don't get that completely clear broth you get in a restaurant. Because the little pieces of spices are in there. But the taste is spot-on.

What rice noodle should you be using and what veggies to add? Chicken breast sliced thin? How's the beef one and particular

Wife had beef ramen run out at the grocery so would like to try the "Foe"

So I ordered some buckets and the gamma vault lids yesterday and have a basic question.

Is there any issue in storing stuff such as pasta, beans etc; in their original packaging inside of the buckets or do most folks take them from the original package’s and put them into food storage containers and than into the larger ones?

Thanks in advance.

So I ordered some buckets and the gamma vault lids yesterday and have a basic question.

Is there any issue in storing stuff such as pasta, beans etc; in their original packaging inside of the buckets or do most folks take them from the original package’s and put them into food storage containers and than into the larger ones?

Thanks in advance.

Original packaging is fine for short term storage.

Long term storage requires O2 absorbers and a sealed bag, usually mylar.

The bucket is for ease of moving and stacking and to keep most rodents out.

... I was kicking myself today because a guy I know is getting divorced and is selling off stuff. He mentioned he sold his freezer chest for like $75. I was just looking at them online the night before. :(

My superpower is finding people that just last week got rid of something I desperately need right now.

My superpower is finding people that just last week got rid of something I desperately need right now.

When we moved into the neighborhood 10+ years ago we bought an older ranch that needed (needs) work. The people right next door had a nearly identical house and tore the whole thing except for one wall down a couple of years before we moved in. Before they decided to completely tear it down they had replaced all of the ancient windows - some of which were single pane - with nice new ones that were a perfect fit to replace all the large and strange sized windows in our house. They offered them to the people we bought from but they just said "nah" so into the dumpster they went.

We still have the old windows in our house.

Epic day at Bj’s.

Meat for the new chest freezer:
6 pounds baby back ribs
15 pounds boneless chicken breasts
3.5 pounds turkey breast roast
7 pounds pork loin
5.5 pounds beef chuck short ribs
4 pounds beef stew meat
16.5 pound sirloin strip
6 pounds pork rib roast
4 pounds petite filet

Misc. preps:
3-40 pack Poland Spring water
1-24 pack Gatorade Zero
1-Gatorade powder 76.5oz
2-44oz Purell assorted pk
1-Tylenol 290 count
1-Advil 360 count
1-2pk Delsym cough syrup
2-Charmin soft mega 40 rl
2-doz Kleenex 70ct
1-4C Lemonade powder three pack
4-doz eggs
1-3pk Classico tom. sauce
1-8pk Hunts Fire roasted diced tomatoes

This was just in my cart. My wife’s cart had the weekly necessities. [laugh]
And the total was? I did a bunch or prep a month ago and my friggin cart was over $500 with no meat at all. That feels like two grand

And the total was? I did a bunch or prep a month ago and my friggin cart was over $500 with no meat at all. That feels like two grand
Just under $800 including the other cart of stuff my wife was pushing. My wife is the coupon Queen. [wink] Then she made me fill up my tank at the BJ’s gas station to save another $.20 a gallon. [laugh]

Just to chime in on trying to suggest to others that they buy stuff they will use/eat anyway. My inlaws are in the eye rolling category and go to the store pretty much every day to buy for one or two meals. I have enough stored for my house for a couple of months. My wife has been very supportive of my augmenting our stores. Yesterday she said "but we couldn't let my family starve". Well, that adds about seven more people.

I wasn't sure how to handle it. So, today I ordered a couple of books from Amazon and had them drop shipped to their respective houses.

1583177111763.png 1583177451056.png

Thanks in advance.

Long term the packaging breaks down. You don't want your food to taste like plastic.

I live on the top floor of an apartment building. The doors open to a common hallway and I can feel the airflow into my place from the hall, I bought a couple rolls of duct tape yesterday to seal this off. Just an idea for you guys.

If YOU are infected, you want negative pressure in your apt (so you don't infect others).

If you are NOT infected, you want positive pressure in your apt (so the others don't infect you).

It can be as simple as a good fan in a window blowing in or out accordingly, with all the other windows shut and the rest of the window the fan is in pretty well sealed.

With the fan blowing in (it'll be warm the next few days [laugh]) open your front door and air should blow into the hall. If it doesn't, get a bigger fan.

If YOU are infected, you want negative pressure in your apt (so you don't infect others).

If you are NOT infected, you want positive pressure in your apt (so the others don't infect you).

It can be as simple as a good fan in a window blowing in or out accordingly, with all the other windows shut and the rest of the window the fan is in pretty well sealed.

With the fan blowing in (it'll be warm the next few days [laugh]) open your front door and air should blow into the hall. If it doesn't, get a bigger fan.
I don’t pay for heat here and I haven’t even turned it on this year, my living room windows have been open all winter and it’s still warm in here.

I’ve noticed that it depends on which way the wind is blow as to whether it’s blowing in or out.

Back
Top Bottom