• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Prep of The Day Thread

I was told by every pool guy I’ve ever met, once you open a liquid chlorine shock container, it degrades at a rapid rate. If you’re using a few drops, every once in a while, to keep stored drinking water stable, it’s a big waste of chlorine.

Last edited:
What about liquid chlorine in 1 gallon bottles or 5 (6?) gallon blue jugs?

If you mean unscented, non soap bleach, ( like Chlorox) it has a shelf life. The reason people buy dry is it keeps longer and you make your own bleach as needed to treat water.

Personally, I've nixed the idea of treating water with it here and just plan to filter and boil as needed. I do keep bleach on hand for laundry/cleaning purposes/decon but I rotate it.

I have several "Life Straw" filters for on the go use if needed.

Wear items like socks and underwear I always keep stocked up, but yes thats something that is over looked. Another overlooked item is boots, I keep an extra pair new in the box and normally keep my old ones till they are no longer good for even cutting grass.

I buy t-shirts, hoodies, long underwear from this place. My kids grow so fast and I swear the quality is as good as under armor without the logo & price.

I save my used engine oil into gallon milk jugs. Currently have 4 gallons tucked away. Tons of uses: heating, cooking, lubricating, cleaning. It can polish wood, preserve metal surfaces, quick fire starter, make smoke signals, etc. Good stuff.
Hmmm, this could save me trips to the recycle place. I have about 25g I was going to get rid of. Maybe I'll just let it mature in the shed[smile]

Does the packaging say how long it lasts? I think prescription amoxicillin only lasts a couple years for full potency, but maybe the lower grade stuff lasts longer. Would be an interesting prep find if you could get more life cycle out of it, not to mention not requiring a prescription.
Store in the fridge. It will last many times longer.
The speed of most chemical processes doubles or halves about every 10degC. At 35F things decay about 5 times slower than at 75F, plus everything lasts longer in a stable temperature environment. Assuming freezing dosen't harm the med, it should last forever in the freezer.

Curious how people self diagnose when using antibiotics. How do people know exactly what theyre suffering from and what type of antibiotic to use? My understanding is there is no one size fits all that cures every type of infection.

Curious how people self diagnose when using antibiotics. How do people know exactly what theyre suffering from and what type of antibiotic to use? My understanding is there is no one size fits all that cures every type of infection.

Alton's Antibiotics and Infectious Disease: The Layman's Guide to Available Antibacterials in Austere Settings

Many don't like hearing that 98% of bronchitis is viral and antibiotics won't make a difference. They only work against certain bacteria and must be matched to the kind of infection. No, coughing up green stuff doesn't necessarily mean it's bacterial as that mucus is your response to numerous potential things. You have 5-7 days of viral infection with immune system getting into high gear to fight it, indicated by some combination of body aches, chills, fever, fatigue. After those symptoms of generalized immune response fade, you have 1-4 weeks of your body cleaning up and repairing, getting that crap out of your lungs, etc. Often serial viral illnesses cloud the picture; you're catching another viral cold before fully recovered from a previous and the symptoms blur together.

If you need a respiratory antibiotic there are several things more effective than amoxicillin. Save it for an ear infection.

Taking antibiotics unnecessarily, whether for a viral case or otherwise, contributes to resistance. That's why MRSA is on the rise, azithromycin (Z-Pak) is often no longer effective against sinus infections, superinfections like C. diff will make you wish for death, and many UTIs fail the first- and second-line treatments. I saw a woman treated for four UTIs in as many months, simple recurrence due to hygiene, but each successive urine culture showed more and more resistance until our only options had bizarre potential side effects. Granted that case was unusually rapid, but our big biological warfare preps might used in response to some super-hardy bug we've helped develop via survival of the fittest rather than any nation attacking.

I just scored a ton of shit at my local pharmacy. They are switching from Rite Aid to Walgreens so everything is like 70% off.

I dropped a C note and got two bags full of store brand cold medicine, cleaning supplies and misc stuff.

Watch for displays being thrown in the dumpster. I saw some guys breaking down shelves for the dumpster at a Rite-Aid-to-Walgreens reno and they let me run with this solid steel rolling shelf. Originally displayed umbrellas, now it'll hold dozens of cords on carabiners.

IMG_1731.JPG

You have to do your research. Do a search on which ABX are used for different infections. I found a chart that showed differences between viral and bacterial pneumonia. But I have a new PC and can't find where I saved it. I have self diagnosed sinus infections and tick borne illnesses. Even with a sinus infection I will tough it out for a week or so to see if it will clear up on it's own.

Vacuum bagged some pasta, a variety of dried beans, rice, and stored in a bucket. Ordered fish doctor book. Moved pool shock to a sealed 1 gal bucket and put it in a nook in the yard. Sent my mom a text to see if she was at least aware of the whole China thing which is becoming a beyond China thing. Encouraged her to grab some basic supplies if she has to bug in for a bit. Have to be delicate because my family already kind of thinks Im a bit of a nut I think, lol.

eta- tried to seal ziti, which I dont see as being particularly sharp looking but although they appeared to be ok, they lost the seal later. I rebagged (with new bags) with paper towels lining the bags and they held the seal.

Last edited:
Shelves and tables? Sears in Auburn is selling everything. Maybe those small 1'x1' cubbies they used for socks or underwear would be good for something. Prices are good, too.

I have a hard time breathing when I get the flu. I recently finished up a two year old bottle of store bought fire cider. It seems to help me a great deal. Based on Medicine Man's recommendation in the corona virus thread I made my own.

I prefer “fire cider.” It is pretty easy to make from common ingredients and will kill most things. A shot a day

I combined ingredients from several recipes that I found online. I started three weeks ago and made two gallons. It needs to sit for a month. If I don't end up needing it I am sure I could use it to strip paint, degrease an engine, or put it in a spray bottle and repel invaders. Just during the chopping and mixing phase I looked like a Hillary supporter on that fateful night back in 2016.

I have a hard time breathing when I get the flu. I recently finished up a two year old bottle of store bought fire cider. It seems to help me a great deal. Based on Medicine Man's recommendation in the corona virus thread I made my own.

I combined ingredients from several recipes that I found online. I started three weeks ago and made two gallons. It needs to sit for a month. If I don't end up needing it I am sure I could use it to strip paint, degrease an engine, or put it in a spray bottle and repel invaders. Just during the chopping and mixing phase I looked like a Hillary supporter on that fateful night back in 2016.

Good for you. I always figure maybe one in a hundred people listen to me and perhaps one in two hundred actually try it.
For what it’s worth:

When the Black Plague was running rampant during the 5th century one town realized someone was robbing the graves of the victims. Officials assumed the problem would take care of itself as whoever was robbing graves was sure to catch the plague. However when the robbing continued, they became determined to catch the thief.
When they finally caught the thief they were amazed to find it was four young kids. Upon threat of death they revealed their secret. Their mother had given them a secret recipe. This recipe is legendary among herbalists and is known as “Four Theives Vinegar.”

6-12 cloves of garlic
1/2 cup lavender
1/2 cup rosemary
1/2 cup sage
1/4 cup thyme
1-2 tablespoons ground cloves
apple cider vinegar

Combine dry ingredients in a glass jar, fill with enough vinegar to cover 2-3 inches. Cover tightly and let sit for 3-4 weeks.
Strain out herbs and rebottle the vinegar.

Dose is 1-2 tablespoons every three to four hours.
Makes a great dressing or marinade as well.

Finished putting up all my solar lights around the house, now someone cant even move around the house without tripping a light and they are high enough so they cant just knock them down.

Found an old small two cycle gas water pump that I had found at the dump of all places, cleaned the carb, put a new plug in and it fired up. I need to replace the shut off valve as that leaks, but it works. I will pick up some hose's for it this week, looks like it takes a 1.5" dia hose.
I'm going to check the fire dept I work at to see if we have any old hose that's close to that size, this way I can use it to pump water from the common well behind the house, even if its just used to fill flushing toilet or cleaning water.

Finished putting up all my solar lights around the house, now someone cant even move around the house without tripping a light and they are high enough so they cant just knock them down.

Found an old small two cycle gas water pump that I had found at the dump of all places, cleaned the carb, put a new plug in and it fired up. I need to replace the shut off valve as that leaks, but it works. I will pick up some hose's for it this week, looks like it takes a 1.5" dia hose.
I'm going to check the fire dept I work at to see if we have any old hose that's close to that size, this way I can use it to pump water from the common well behind the house, even if its just used to fill flushing toilet or cleaning water.
With that pump you can be a hero to your neighbors the next time we get insane rains and half the basements flood. Spring of 2010 someone from the local FD pumped out my neighbors basement with a 2" gas powered pump in less than an hour. He must have been making stops all over town.

With that pump you can be a hero to your neighbors the next time we get insane rains and half the basements flood. Spring of 2010 someone from the local FD pumped out my neighbors basement with a 2" gas powered pump in less than an hour. He must have been making stops all over town.

On our dept we do basement pump outs with a trash pump but yes I could see this being handy. Even a remote brush fire which my town had two in the last 6 years, you could walk in the woods and set it up next to even a brook and draft from that.

Good for you. I always figure maybe one in a hundred people listen to me and perhaps one in two hundred actually try it.
For what it’s worth:

When the Black Plague was running rampant during the 5th century one town realized someone was robbing the graves of the victims. Officials assumed the problem would take care of itself as whoever was robbing graves was sure to catch the plague. However when the robbing continued, they became determined to catch the thief.
When they finally caught the thief they were amazed to find it was four young kids. Upon threat of death they revealed their secret. Their mother had given them a secret recipe. This recipe is legendary among herbalists and is known as “Four Theives Vinegar.”

6-12 cloves of garlic
1/2 cup lavender
1/2 cup rosemary
1/2 cup sage
1/4 cup thyme
1-2 tablespoons ground cloves
apple cider vinegar

Combine dry ingredients in a glass jar, fill with enough vinegar to cover 2-3 inches. Cover tightly and let sit for 3-4 weeks.
Strain out herbs and rebottle the vinegar.

Dose is 1-2 tablespoons every three to four hours.
Makes a great dressing or marinade as well.
I took your advice and made a batch of my own. (fire cider) Has another week to marinate before its done.

BOOZE! I've been slowly increasing the size of my larder over the past 3 weeks to the point where I feel confident in being able to "bug-in" without leaving the house for about a month (this includes TP, and meds of course). Much of the food is shelf stable though I'm not too worried about losing water or electricity (I still have a lot of bottled water). So, today before another grocery run I decided to stock up on the means to stay sane in the event of being stuck in the house with my wife for an extended period of time; beer, wine, bourbon, vodka, and gin! Plus all the accoutrements (sweet and dry vermouth, campari, olives, cherries, etc)
I have never spent that much money on alcohol at one time! While I'm less optimistic that it would last us a month (I see consumption rising in accordance with length of time holed up) It's definitely nothing to shake a stick at. No, no list posted. Suffice it to say that the good stuff is cheaper when purchased in big bottles and or by the case.
Also, no Coronas. It's not 90 degrees out and I'm not in the mood for Mexican piss.

Cheers! [cheers]

BOOZE! I've been slowly increasing the size of my larder over the past 3 weeks to the point where I feel confident in being able to "bug-in" without leaving the house for about a month (this includes TP, and meds of course). Much of the food is shelf stable though I'm not too worried about losing water or electricity (I still have a lot of bottled water). So, today before another grocery run I decided to stock up on the means to stay sane in the event of being stuck in the house with my wife for an extended period of time; beer, wine, bourbon, vodka, and gin! Plus all the accoutrements (sweet and dry vermouth, campari, olives, cherries, etc)
I have never spent that much money on alcohol at one time! While I'm less optimistic that it would last us a month (I see consumption rising in accordance with length of time holed up) It's definitely nothing to shake a stick at. No, no list posted. Suffice it to say that the good stuff is cheaper when purchased in big bottles and or by the case.
Also, no Coronas. It's not 90 degrees out and I'm not in the mood for Mexican piss.

Cheers! [cheers]
Yes - I picked Lots Of Booze a few weeks ago - I also bought a bunch of chocolate - that I've hidden

UPS came by and dropped off two pairs of new 70's vintage U.S. combat boots and a case of Wolf Gold.[banana]

Shopped this morning while doing a couple of errands and brought home 18 cans of white northern beans, 4 can of sardines and a couple of beef roasts for the freezer.

Yes - I picked Lots Of Booze a few weeks ago - I also bought a bunch of chocolate - that I've hidden

Not to be understated!! Bargaining chip, deescalation tool, foreplay? Call 'em what you want, sweets/chocolates are a necessity in the coming weeks/months.

We're sitting on 4 boxes, 96 cookies per box, of Otis Spunkmeyer frozen cookies (14 minutes in the toaster oven at 350 for fresh freaking cookies!) from a fundraiser in November. I actually had to transfer all the remaining (we've baked a few dozen) cookies to gallon ziplock bags today to make room for some bread, english muffins, pancakes, sausages, veggies, and pork tenderloins. Wifey certainly likes chocolate, but it's hard for her to argue with a warm white chocolate macadamia nut cookie.

Cheers! [cheers]
Plan on stocking up on this shortly too. At least enough to last a month. I also have enough ingredients to make a few 5 gallon batches of beer if needed.

Swung by CVS yesterday on the way home and picked up a couple of cold/flu meds, 70% isopropyl, hydrogen peroxide in a spray bottle and some ibuprofin. All CVS brand so saved 20% plus used $10 worth of CVS bucks. Also picked up a few food grade buckets and lids, and garbage bags. Been reading Alton's antibiotics and infectious disease book.

Talked with a work friend about covid19. He was the one who mentioned to me last week that it must be dying down because he hasnt heard too much about it lately. Mentioned to him about thinking about picking up some extra necessities in case he chooses to stay at the house for some period of time if it comes to that.

Swung by CVS yesterday on the way home and picked up a couple of cold/flu meds, 70% isopropyl, hydrogen peroxide in a spray bottle and some ibuprofin. All CVS brand so saved 20% plus used $10 worth of CVS bucks. Also picked up a few food grade buckets and lids, and garbage bags. Been reading Alton's antibiotics and infectious disease book.

Talked with a work friend about covid19. He was the one who mentioned to me last week that it must be dying down because he hasnt heard too much about it lately. Mentioned to him about thinking about picking up some extra necessities in case he chooses to stay at the house for some period of time if it comes to that.
I think we’re on the same page. I hit Walgreens for some meds and 70% alcohol. Picked up some more food grade buckets and Gamma lids. I also added 5 dozen assorted canned goods to the pantry today.
Oh yeah, I made a couple portable toilet/puke buckets. [laugh]
69D7123D-3187-4D40-8D4C-90D9ACDEE983.jpeg 31B1866D-1165-41C9-B4E4-24A1E94A47B3.jpeg F05ABA59-BA46-452E-AA26-721D6CD6F942.jpeg AD0F380F-D9D5-4611-B9B5-C00570971A82.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom