Prep of The Day Thread

[laugh]

View attachment 335619

eta- Im not a big fan of stuff that comes in plastic that you heat up in the microwave, but this was really good. Snapdragon brand at Costco.
I actually bought a couple boxes myself. Not terrible, but I do need to add some of my own chili oil.

I have a longstanding joke with my customers about giving up the IT nonsense and getting a hot dog cart. Maybe I should rethink that, and make it a food truck serving Vietnamese soup - people seem to dig it. And mine would be much, much better - so much, that people would be willing to stand in line for it.

I'll call it:
Pho Queue

[grin]

Anybody in south Worcester area placing an order soon that wouldn't mind a piggyback of some .22, 9mm, Makarov, and 8mm Mauser? I can't justify the subscription at this point in time.

Original packaging is fine for short term storage.

Long term storage requires O2 absorbers and a sealed bag, usually mylar.

The bucket is for ease of moving and stacking and to keep most rodents out.
Thank you.

Just to chime in on trying to suggest to others that they buy stuff they will use/eat anyway. My inlaws are in the eye rolling category and go to the store pretty much every day to buy for one or two meals. I have enough stored for my house for a couple of months. My wife has been very supportive of my augmenting our stores. Yesterday she said "but we couldn't let my family starve". Well, that adds about seven more people.

I wasn't sure how to handle it. So, today I ordered a couple of books from Amazon and had them drop shipped to their respective houses.

View attachment 335770View attachment 335773
I copied the list from the "24 Hour Pandemic Prep List" that was posted by @Duxprep and sent it to friends and family hoping they might try to help themselves. Most thought I was kidding, others thought I was crazy.

And yesterday was the day that everyone was asked not to spend any money in an attempt to hurt Trumps economy, lol.

Curious how people self diagnose when using antibiotics. How do people know exactly what theyre suffering from and what type of antibiotic to use? My understanding is there is no one size fits all that cures every type of infection.

Through an odd quirk of fate, I know a guy that is from a place with different medical standards and had a huge tooth cavity that became infected. No insurance, of course. So we came by some leftover keflex from someplace and he spent a week knocking down the infection, got him good and drunk, boiled the pliers and yarded that effer right out. Without killing the infection first it would have been REALLY painful. He sorta whistles now, when he talks, but no more pain!

You must have got the last of the Wolf Gold

TS will get more I'm sure.

I copied the list from the "24 Hour Pandemic Prep List" that was posted by @Duxprep and sent it to friends and family hoping they might try to help themselves. Most thought I was kidding, others thought I was crazy.

And both will be breaking your door down when the time comes that they need something to survive.

I have no time or use for willfully ignorant and irresponsible people who insist on being dependent on someone else.

I view the "I'll just come to your house" statement as an insult and I never let it pass without rebuke.

I actually bought a couple boxes myself. Not terrible, but I do need to add some of my own chili oil.

I have a longstanding joke with my customers about giving up the IT nonsense and getting a hot dog cart. Maybe I should rethink that, and make it a food truck serving Vietnamese soup - people seem to dig it. And mine would be much, much better - so much, that people would be willing to stand in line for it.

I'll call it:
Pho Queue

[grin]

Thats good.....but nothing beats the place in Keene....Pho Keene Great........I admittedly called once before they opened in am just to hear the message on the machine......

Getting another batch of beef jerky ready tonight to make in the AM, before weight is 6lbs, should be around 3lbs when done more or less.
I have Vac sealed the bags in the past but I find the beef has sharp edges that over time shuffling them around can poke holes, should I get thicker bags ( if thats a thing ), double bag or my other thought was a large mason jar. Put the beef strips in up and down, then seal them up.

Vacuum bagging is not what you want to do for long term storage of dry goods.

You want to seal these goods in Mylar bags, without vacuum, with oxygen absorbers.

Use quality bags, fill them leaving enough room to seal, drop in the appropriately sized absorbers, fold the bag over the edge of a 1Xwhatever board, and seal it with a standard clothes iron set to high. If you seal it reasonably close to the top of the product inside, when you come back the next day it will look almost like it is vacuum sealed.

There must be a million videos of the process floating around the webz, quick google should find one if you need a demo.

Sucking all of the air out prevents the oxygen absorbers from working their magic to their full ability. You will never get all of the air out anyway, and all you care about is getting the oxygen component out.

Lots of people like to put these inside of buckets, but that is not entirely necessary. The function of the bucket is to prevent pest intrusion and provide durability. No need to buy fancy food grade triple gamma seal double omega buckets (IMO), you just need some form of storage that protects them from pests and sunlight. It is also recommended that you store them in a reasonably cool stable environment.

Most dry goods should go 20+ years and still be gtg stored this way.

A note on salt. Do not use oxy absorbers with salt. While I have no personal experience with this, iirc, this will guarantee your salt turns into a solid brick in storage. Plus, salt doesn’t really care about oxygen anyway.

Now get to work, and report back when you have enough rice and beans stored to supply a Mexican restaurant for a year!

What about liquid chlorine in 1 gallon bottles or 5 (6?) gallon blue jugs?
Calcium Hypochlorite stores well in mason jars in my experience. No out-gassing issues this way. It is much more convenient/practical to store than liquid bleach if you take the fumes out of the equation.

Calcium Hypochlorite stores well in mason jars in my experience. No out-gassing issues this way. It is much more convenient/practical to store than liquid bleach if you take the fumes out of the equation.

Just don't use metal lids, use plastic ones.

Getting another batch of beef jerky ready tonight to make in the AM, before weight is 6lbs, should be around 3lbs when done more or less.
I have Vac sealed the bags in the past but I find the beef has sharp edges that over time shuffling them around can poke holes, should I get thicker bags ( if thats a thing ), double bag or my other thought was a large mason jar. Put the beef strips in up and down, then seal them up.

Just use less vacuum.

I Ball brand jars. They have metal lids, but the inside has some sort of coating. They have been holding up well so far.

That coating can be unreliable, especially in the presence of an oxidizer like chlorine. All it would take is one tiny pin hole in the coating to allow the chlorine access to the metal and the corrosion will creep under the coating, eventually disintegrating the thin metal lid.

There are inexpensive plastic lids available for those jars and they would be a much better choice for something as caustic as chlorine.

Back
Top Bottom