Prep of The Day Thread

In person? Where please? I dont do Amazon
You can buy them directly from the manufacturer. Cinnamonster.

Wait one and I'll post the link.

Here you go: https://cinnamonster.com/purchase-o...nd-32-oz-makes-70-large-eggs-upc-762834000518

Amazon only sells in 2 bag lots. At Cinnamonster you can buy a single I believe. Amazon has a better listing of "Reviews & Questions" about the product.
The manufacturer is limited on info.

Also, when you order from Amazon, they just have Cinnamonster drop ship order to you, No Amazon handling...

Amazon, but they are shipped from the manufacturer directly... not stored in an Amazon warehouse.

(2) 2 lb bags, 4 pounds total makes 70 large eggs per bag. $49.99

Amazon product ASIN B08R6JDZ8WView: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08R6JDZ8W/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Manufacturer recommends freezing for longer life.

It got good reviews here:

The 10 Best Powdered Eggs To Buy - March 2022 Edition

Good information here on powdered eggs and other long term food storage items.

Home

Last edited:
In person? Where please? I dont do Amazon

Amazon unfortunately, but if I buy in the future I’ll be direct from the manufacturer below

You can buy them directly from the manufacturer. Cinnamonster.

Wait one and I'll post the link.

Here you go: https://cinnamonster.com/purchase-o...nd-32-oz-makes-70-large-eggs-upc-762834000518

Amazon only sells in 2 bag lots. At Cinnamonster you can buy a single I believe. Amazon has a better listing of "Reviews & Questions" about the product.
The manufacturer is limited on info.

Also, when you order from Amazon, they just have Cinnamonster drop ship order to you, No Amazon handling...

Thanks for posting that

Did a BJs run since I saw wheat prices hit an all time high today and oil hit $114 a barrel.

There are still 25lb bags of rice for $15. If you don't have a few hundred pounds of rice mylared in buckets, recommend picking up some.
And plenty of salt. Rice cooked without salt is bland...

I did a Sam's club this week to top off the food preps. Plenty of beans and rice left in 10lb bags. I am going to snag a few more tomorrow. I also got an heirloom seed assortment in, and will also get starting stuff from home depot tomorrow. I have a plan for two 4x12 raised beds in the back yard.

So, went to check out the "Bishop's Storehouse" today in Worcester. Interesting to say the least. Expected nerdy Mormons working there, but they're nice and helpful.
Strange selection of foods. I got apple slices, pinto beans, potato flakes, carrots, and "hard red wheat". Those are #10 cans, but are pretty light for the most part. Those are all 30 year storage, except 10 years for the carrots. Saw a couple guys there, who I asked what they were going to do with all the wheat they bought (like 10 25 pound bags). They said they have to grind it to make wheat flour. Sounds like a lot of work. How long does regular flour last? Who uses flour right now? How much flour would one need if that need ever became a reality? Where are people putting all this stuff? Maybe I'm too much of a newbie at this planning stuff, but I was thinking just buying extra canned soups, beans, tomato products, instant mashed potatoes, and stuff would do it, but some people really go for the deep dive. In the end, I'll have plenty of apples, peaches, and eggs from fresh sources. Same with potatoes, tomatoes, lettuce, root crops and other produce from the garden. Coming up short on meat (other than chicken maybe), unless I become successful at deer hunting, or more serious about rabbits and squirrels. Fishing is also good there. No pasta or bread unless I either buy flour (or "wheat"), or grow it. Then I guess I'd need a mill or something to make flour. Hey, people say to cut down on bread and carb stuff anyhow, so there's that. Thanks for listening.

Good for you Coyote. I think that every "adult" person should be a prepper. It's a responsibility. an Adult responsibility.

As to the wheat. I have been baking my own bread for a while now and find it better than store-bought.
And when there is no more "store-bought" I'll still be making sandwiches and pancakes.

It is a skill with benefits...

So, went to check out the "Bishop's Storehouse" today in Worcester. Interesting to say the least. Expected nerdy Mormons working there, but they're nice and helpful.
Strange selection of foods. I got apple slices, pinto beans, potato flakes, carrots, and "hard red wheat". Those are #10 cans, but are pretty light for the most part. Those are all 30 year storage, except 10 years for the carrots. Saw a couple guys there, who I asked what they were going to do with all the wheat they bought (like 10 25 pound bags). They said they have to grind it to make wheat flour. Sounds like a lot of work. How long does regular flour last? Who uses flour right now? How much flour would one need if that need ever became a reality? Where are people putting all this stuff? Maybe I'm too much of a newbie at this planning stuff, but I was thinking just buying extra canned soups, beans, tomato products, instant mashed potatoes, and stuff would do it, but some people really go for the deep dive. In the end, I'll have plenty of apples, peaches, and eggs from fresh sources. Same with potatoes, tomatoes, lettuce, root crops and other produce from the garden. Coming up short on meat (other than chicken maybe), unless I become successful at deer hunting, or more serious about rabbits and squirrels. Fishing is also good there. No pasta or bread unless I either buy flour (or "wheat"), or grow it. Then I guess I'd need a mill or something to make flour. Hey, people say to cut down on bread and carb stuff anyhow, so there's that. Thanks for listening.
I have an experiment going with 5lb flour bags…freeze, vacuum pack and wait, going to try them at 3,6,9,12,15, and 18 months. Almost time to open the 3 month bag..

Wheat stores best when it is whole. (25-30 years if packaged right, nitrogen purged, O2 absorbers, mylar bag in a bucket.)

Ground wheat (flour) oxidizes quicker and usually goes rancid in 6 months or less. The difference between newly ground flour and old flour is readily noticeable.

Grinding it can be easy or difficult depending on what you are using to grind it. In a grid up situation, there's grinders that will grind 10lbs of wheat in a minute or two.
Grid down, a motorized (12v) grinder will do it in a few minutes. By hand.....a real chore but still works. People ground wheat by hand for eons.

If prices go high enough or availability of other foods gets scarce, bread will become a real staple. You can feed a lot of people with several loaves of bread and a bowl of soup or stew. That's where the term "Bread Lines" came from. During real hard times, sawdust was even added to breads to stretch the quantities even more and people stood in lines for hours to get a slice of bread and some watered down soup.

Who uses flour right now? I'd say just about everyone, making bread, pasta, pies, cookies, cakes, thickening soups or stews.

Bread is cheap to make and goes a long way feeding a crowd. The worse things get, the more "communal" meals will get. When fuel is scarce, cooking one or two large pots of soup or stew that can feed 25-30 people will become the norm. Think "Soup Kitchens".

How much would one need?.......Depends on how many you are feeding. My advice is As much as you can afford while it's available. I know people with hundreds of pounds to a couple of tons of grains put away.;)

Where do they put it? Wherever it will stay dry, temperature stable and free of rodents.

This is the mill I have (stock photo). I have a gear reduction 12v motor and V belt to operate it. Its adjustable and will grind coarse like cracking corn or corn meal or make flour like talcum powder.

1646531098559.png

Love this post! ^^^

One more thing I'll add about the benefits of whole wheat berries is that you can always plant some to regenerate your stock. This is, of course, not for everyone. But doable.

Love this post! ^^^

One more thing I'll add about the benefits of whole wheat berries is that you can always plant some to regenerate your stock. This is, of course, not for everyone. But doable.

Yes, even on a small scale that is manageable by hand harvest, the return is pretty good. Same goes for Oat groats and other whole grains.

I have an experiment going with 5lb flour bags…freeze, vacuum pack and wait, going to try them at 3,6,9,12,15, and 18 months. Almost time to open the 3 month bag..
I made a cake last week (wife's birthday) with some flour from 2020 days. Seemed fine. Not frozen. I don't have room for a bag of flour in my freezer.

So, the plastic bags it comes in are no good? I have some of those from 2020 also. Maybe they are in a cooler to keep the mice away.

Got plenty of canned soup, beans, tomato products. Have the plastic/foil pouches of instant mashed potatoes. Beyond that, space and time are my enemies.

I consider "long term" longer that 8 months to a year. Look at the expiration date on a can of soup. The longest lasting one is "long term".

That said, those cans from the "Bishop's Warehouse" Mormon place said "30 years" on some of them. I find that pretty hard to believe, but I bet 5 years isn't out of question.

I consider "long term" longer that 8 months to a year. Look at the expiration date on a can of soup. The longest lasting one is "long term".

That said, those cans from the "Bishop's Warehouse" Mormon place said "30 years" on some of them. I find that pretty hard to believe, but I bet 5 years isn't out of question.

I consider "long term" 25-30 years. Most properly packaged dry goods will meet this time line.

Canned goods are usually deemed good and safe to eat as long as the can is not swollen or leaking. If it still has a vacuum and doesn't smell bad when opened, it's most likely safe to eat, especially if it is going to be heated to a boil with other ingredients.

I've found canned fruits to be extremely poor for even short term storage and I do not buy them at all anymore.

I am using regular flour that is a couple of years old. I don't bake that much and there is no off smell or taste. I keep it in a large bin with a good seal. In it's original bags and also in a larger ziplock bag. I put the whole bin on the porch last year on a - degree night and very cold day to kill any moth eggs. So far it is not buggy.
I also have red and white whole wheat and an electric mill and also a hand mill.

When I bought #10 cans of freeze dried foods I focused on meats since we aren't hunters. I realized last year we can't count on the garden. It will help but just too unpredictable on what we can produce.

. If water is not an issue then go for condensed soups. You'll get a little more for your money. I remember reading the opinion that "soup is watered down food". In a tough situation calories are more important to keep you going. That is why carbs are necessary.

Look online for creative ways to store it.

I made a cake last week (wife's birthday) with some flour from 2020 days. Seemed fine. Not frozen. I don't have room for a bag of flour in my freezer.

So, the plastic bags it comes in are no good? I have some of those from 2020 also. Maybe they are in a cooler to keep the mice away.

Got plenty of canned soup, beans, tomato products. Have the plastic/foil pouches of instant mashed potatoes. Beyond that, space and time are my enemies.
I froze it for a few days to kill anything then might be in it, then vacuum packed and stored in basement. Believe me, my wife has the freezer so packed i have to cook something just to have room until she makes the next trip to the store..

On Brooks St? Can anyone go there? I figured you had to be a Mormon.
Anyone can go. Nice people. CC only right now.
look At the days and hours. Short windows of time.
right now they are the best deal for the basics. and most of you guys live there!
prices are great.

On Brooks St? Can anyone go there? I figured you had to be a Mormon.

You can also order online. I just orders 7 boxes of stuff, from beans to onions and they delivered right to my door. Probably 60lbs of food (the boxes of beans are heavy and I got 3 boxes)

Shipping cost? $3. God must be chipping in on the fuel costs.

They’re hands down the best bet for near to long term storage foods at a reasonable cost right now.

Someone asked if anyone uses flour?
You can use it everyday! Yesterdays biscuits.
2 cups flour
1 Tbs baking powder
1 teas salt
6 tbs butter (can use lard or crisco)
3/4 cup oat milk, (can use milk, water, buttermilk
Use crisco to grease the oven and lid

If your gonna store wheat, its good to be practicing stuff like this.
Fun and pretty easy
Great eating

Attachments

• F1D21811-78DE-4580-B51D-ABC2327F1CC8.jpeg
    F1D21811-78DE-4580-B51D-ABC2327F1CC8.jpeg
    667.1 KB · Views: 7
  • 00A957EC-1A00-4F36-8751-A9AAA4202F48.jpeg
    00A957EC-1A00-4F36-8751-A9AAA4202F48.jpeg
    622.1 KB · Views: 6
  • 00CFA4AB-A787-4125-9F8E-2ACEBABC3075.jpeg
    00CFA4AB-A787-4125-9F8E-2ACEBABC3075.jpeg
    548.4 KB · Views: 8