Prep of The Day Thread

Last edited:
This morning,
Bucketed up 10-10-10 fertilizer. Ordered 10 more buckets and lids from Uline this morning and they're already shipped.

Bought 50lbs of boneless chicken breast, 10lbs of bacon, 10lbs of sausage, 25lbs more of Jasmine rice, 10lbs of pickling salt, 4 packages of T-shirts, 20 pairs of socks, 8 12packs of regular small mouth canning lids, kale, cabbage, tomato, turnip, radish, sweet banana pepper, seeds.

Tomorrow, I turn the compost piles and start cutting and splitting oak firewood to be stacked in the woodshed for next winter. The logs have been stacked for two years so the bark should be falling off them easily while splitting.

Tomorrow, I turn the compost piles and start cutting and splitting oak firewood to be stacked in the woodshed for next winter. The logs have been stacked for two years so the bark should be falling off them easily while splitting.

Do you cut your logs and let them sit for a reason? I’m looking at cutting a fair share of wood if I end up getting that house in Kentucky and am wondering if I should be letting it sit in log form for a while before I split it?

Do you cut your logs and let them sit for a reason? I’m looking at cutting a fair share of wood if I end up getting that house in Kentucky and am wondering if I should be letting it sit in log form for a while before I split it?
These were logs that I had anticipated milling into boards. They are fairly large diameter and I've since decided that they will be more useful in the stove.

Firewood is best stored, split and stacked, off the ground and under good cover to dry in a prevailing wind of possible.

I buy my buckets from Uline, usually 10-20 at a time. They've been going steadily up in price but the buckets are excellent quality as are the gasketed lids.

Currently @ $5.45 each for 5gal.

There used to be a guy in Wareham that I used to buy from, $1.25 per 5gal round bucket and lids were a quarter each. He also had 4gal square buckets which were nice and blue barrels and the brown olive barrels with gasketed lids. The old man died several years ago and I think the business is gone.
I used to buy the 55 gallon barrels from that guy. Super nice guy. It was like he had a perpetual yard sale. Haven’t been by there in twenty years but I was just thinking about him the other day.

Hardwood is much easier to split when green and dries faster.

True, it does split easier when green but when it is a bit older and split using a log splitter, it leaves large splinters that make it easier to catch fire in the stove.
Most of what I split is pretty straight grained and the splitter doesn't even notice.
The gnarly branch joints are much easier when green though.

Just spent an hour and a half turning the woodchip piles. They are overly wet, so I spread them out a bit to expose more surface area to dry.

Also ran the tractor bucket through a couple of garden spots, knocking down the dried out weed stalks.

Later today I'll be hooking up the bushhog mower and going apeshit on a couple of overgrown fields.

Ordered a case each of carrots and onions from the church of the Latter Day Saints/Mormons. Shipping was $3.

Haha bro you musta read my mind I just ordered onions, beans and some other stuff from them. Same I was surprised by the cheap shipping

Mine arrived today. 6 cases of 6 cans each. How TF do they ship that for $3?

I wish they had freeze dried beef

How long are they good for in the mylar bags?
Unopened and stored in a cool, dry place = 18 months, with zero loss of flavor or taste.
Seller says it can last up to 36 months if unopened and stored correctly. After 36 mos. flavor drops off.

Got some Augason Farms Chili that was on sale. Went to BJ’s and bought Swanson Chicken broth and Muir Glen diced tomatoes which we use a lot. Few cans of spam. And Tuna and canned clams were on sale with a coupon. And got 50 more pounds of Carolina rice.
What are you storing the rice in?

Back
Top Bottom