• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Prep of The Day Thread

Prepping/being prepared sucks sometimes. Both of the home heating oil companies that service my town in NH won't scale my driveway due to the freeze/thaw/freeze/sleet winter we have had.

So it's 5 gallon jugs off offroad diesel schlepped to fill up the tank. This is.....unpleasant

If this is a routine/annual problem, you may want to consider one of these;

If this is a routine/annual problem, you may want to consider one of these;

For not much more than that I can add another 270g tank....and that will be a prep of the day post coming soon.....

I have 2 Handy brand, 30-gallon steel gas caddies that were left over equipment from when I closed my motorcycle parts & service company down in 2012.

1 is for fresh fuel only and the other is for fuel removal from tanks. I have an in-line fuel filter to remove sediment/debris and use this gasoline in an old pickup truck with no ill-effect
after a little fuel treatment like sea-foam.
1644699992428.png

They are by far the best container to store and pump fuel from. I run fuel stabilizer in them and use them year-round. The only maintenance, is new hoses every 10 years and an occasional
pump vane cleaning and lube. Love them!

1644699727593.png

Tractor Supply I find is usually more expensive on everything but they have Food Grade 5 Gal buckets for less that $5.00 each which is the cheapest I've seen. You can also sometimes get them from Bakeries for less but your rice may taste like strawberries or grape jelly.

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/tractor-supply-co-pail-5-gal?cm_vc=-10005
I buy my buckets from Uline, usually 10-20 at a time. They've been going steadily up in price but the buckets are excellent quality as are the gasketed lids.

Currently @ $5.45 each for 5gal.

There used to be a guy in Wareham that I used to buy from, $1.25 per 5gal round bucket and lids were a quarter each. He also had 4gal square buckets which were nice and blue barrels and the brown olive barrels with gasketed lids. The old man died several years ago and I think the business is gone.

Tractor Supply I find is usually more expensive on everything but they have Food Grade 5 Gal buckets for less that $5.00 each which is the cheapest I've seen. You can also sometimes get them from Bakeries for less but your rice may taste like strawberries or grape jelly.

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/tractor-supply-co-pail-5-gal?cm_vc=-10005
If you need buckets let me know. I can get pickle buckets by the car load. Again you have pickle flavor but for product that’s bagged and sealed inside those buckets who cares. Free is free. NES skinflint club approved

I tried to get buckets for sugaring season and lids were the problem. I already have enough buckets, but I just wanted a matching set so I don't have to figure out which lid goes with which bucket every year. I know, first world problems. Anyway, I went to Tractor Supply and then the new Ace next door and they had 4 lids between the two. TS would have been about $7 with a lid and at Ace was closer to $10. f*** that, I'll just keep using my old pickle buckets.

In other news, I was out on a walkabout in the neighborhood today and I scored an old hand grinder/mill on the side of the road (along with an adjustable stool that I took just for the acme threaded hardware). The picture looks much worse than it really is. It's got two grinding disks (?) and is only missing the thumbscrew that holds the handle to the mill. I already figured out that's just 1/4-20 so that's no problem at all.

1644971980939.png

My mother used to use one of those grinders to make home made sauerkraut, and ham salad (1st gen german). Neither of which I ate at the time, now I wish I had tried it.
I make my own sauerkraut. Super easy. Only 2 ingredients. A nice fat cabbage that is not too dry and sea salt. Great for the gut...

Do tell. I love me some sauerkraut.
I've made green cabbage kraut, red (purple) cabbage kraut and 50/50 red-green. Haven't tried savoy yet. Favorite is green.

I use a Japanese Tonkatsu cabbage slicer and it comes out super thin. A good French knife works too, just more work and not as thin)

1644984586618.png

Slice a fresh head of cabbage into quarters (leave the stem/core to keep it all together.) Pass the cabbage through the mandolin outer leaves first while holding the core.
(I do it right into the bowl that I will end up massaging the salt into the shreds.)

Weigh the shredded cabbage and multiply total weight by .02 (to determine 2% of needed sea salt to add)
Now weigh out your salt and add back into your "muddling" bowl. Toss the bowl around to incorporate the salt throughout.

Let sit for ten minutes.

Mash, turn, squeeze; Mash, turn, squeeze; Mash, turn, squeeze; for 10-15 minutes. Ok to rest a few times during the process as the salt will help pull out the cabbage's natural juices.

Now, the hard work is done. Put the wet cabbage into a vessel that you will cure (ferment) the pre-kraut in.
I use a very tall, glass pickle jar that I sterilized in boiling water for 12 minutes. (done each time a new batch is made in that vessel)
I use a kraut-packer wooden dowel to mash it down tight. If Jar mouth is big enough you can use your fist or a sterilized wooden spoon.
I try to stay away from plastics when making kraut...

Also, take off any watches, rings jewelry that may come in contact with the kraut or equipment. Wash hands thoroughly and if possible, use a fingernail brush. Clean is good...

I use a Mt. Olive big jar, that they carry at Market Basket. (I also use these jars to make my own dill pickles, half-sours and Jalapeno-Garlic Pickles.)

1644985457570.png

1 average shredded green cabbage is about 8 lbs. and fills the jar about 3/4 of the way, but will drop to about 2/3 full as it ferments.

After putting all the shredded cabbage, salt brine liquid into the sterilized jar, start pressing/compacting the slurry until the sheds are completely submerged in the fermenting brine.
Let is rest and repeat every 15-20 minutes until it stays under the surface without breaking the surface.

At this point, it is time to weigh the kraut down so it cannot be touched by air. (no air on cabbage = no mold or unhealthy bacteria)

I use a glass puck that I sterilized along with the jar earlier. Others have used sterilized teacup saucers, Early on I used the cleaned outer cabbage leaves on top of the shreds and filled a ziploc quart bag half-filled with a 2% salt brine solution (in case of a bag rupture or leak) I learned to put that ziploc bag into a second ziploc bag and had no further leaks)
Place this baggie on top of the outer leaves and the weight will keep the shreds below surface and safe.

Finally, I cover the jar with a clean, non-printed paper towel and a rubber band. (the cabbage will gas as it ferments, and small bubbles can be seen during the process)
There are other ways to do this, like a water-seal kraut croc, and even a brewer's water trap vent. My way is very simple and works every time as long as I keep the cabbage well below the
brine surface,

I let it sit for a minimum of 4 weeks, checking it every couple of days to make sure of kraut being under surface and mold-free. When it gets close to 4 weeks, I taste test it for the sourness
level my palate likes. If good, I remove the paper towel and glass puck and put into the refrigerator after adding a dated piece of tape.

If you like it more sour, leave it another week, or two, or three. Tasting constantly for what you like.

Make sure the kraut-in-training stays between 70-75 degrees F.
If it goes bellow 70 degrees, the process slows. Above and it goes very fast but can get moldy. (not good)
I put a peel and stick thermometer tape on the side of the glass jar to monitor it during the process.
Certain times of the year, I will place the jar on a cool concrete floor, Other times on top of the gas stove and the pilot-light keeps it within range. (not on a hot stove though...)

In the Summer, I may add a little salt brine to the mix due to water evaporation. never more than a cup is ever needed, and it is mixed with a 2% salt to water ratio.
I also use bottled water in this brine, because tap water may have chlorine and other things that may kill/harm the gut-healthy lactobacillus probiotic bacteria.

It sounds like a lot of work. It isn't. And you can make a pint or quart up for your first try. Just math out the weights of the cabbage and 2% salt ratio...

~Enbloc

Last edited:

If you seal it in Mylar first with O2 absorbers, there should be no flavor transfer. Unless it’s rotten fish or bleach. $5 is a sweet deal and not to be passed up for food grade.

In other news, I was out on a walkabout in the neighborhood today and I scored an old hand grinder/mill on the side of the road (along with an adjustable stool that I took just for the acme threaded hardware). The picture looks much worse than it really is. It's got two grinding disks (?) and is only missing the thumbscrew that holds the handle to the mill. I already figured out that's just 1/4-20 so that's no problem at all.

View attachment 577570
I have one that I use for making chili when I’m not being lazy. Grinding 15 lbs of tri-tip is a royal PITA but I like the way it comes out better than buying pre-ground burger.

With the Putin/Threat levels rising each day, I'm thinking faraday cages(and bags if they work) may be more essential than in the past.
It seems to me communication disruption may be a prevalent factor in todays climate.
Wondering if its possible at all to protect one of todays technology-laden vehicles from an EMP?
Glad I have a few old carbureted vehicles in working order.

With the Putin/Threat levels rising each day, I'm thinking faraday cages(and bags if they work) may be more essential than in the past.
It seems to me communication disruption may be a prevalent factor in todays climate.
Wondering if its possible at all to protect one of todays technology-laden vehicles from an EMP?
Glad I have a few old carbureted vehicles in working order.

Park it in a subterranean parking garage or wrap it in a half mile of aluminum foil and ground the wrapping.;)

Old carbureted vehicles are a plus. Not much to a wiring harness for starting and lights which is really all you need. If the carb vehicles have HEI ignition, might think about obtaining a points/condenser distributor if there is one made for them. Maybe keep an extra a roll or two of wire and crimp connectors on hand.

I'm considering welding up a large "go kart" driven by an 11hp Briggs and a small trailer.

Back
Top Bottom