Pre Ban?

Hey guys once again I turn to you for guidance.
A few weeks back I took a few mags in as trade from a member here.. Well today I tried to sell one of those mags to another member.
Once he looked at the mags he said they were not pre ban ! ..You can imagine my shock.
I've been told on several occasions by a lot of my FFL that these were in fact preban. So now I'm confused?
Can you guys just shed a little more light on it for me, please.
Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You are going to have to post more details, at the very least the type of mags so that people can tell you what to look for. There are some magazines out there that the pre/post ban status of cannot easily be determined.

6e3471d8f1d8a0f53e778a5afc475965.jpg

45b26330f7cea0f1822eaa5c5453af25.jpg

4df9c1b7b48b00a19484bc6cb7600ef3.jpg

7f85627c5c80e028b3cbdc84c9e12000.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

you're going to get a lot of mixed responses with this. that said... don't worry about it.

there are people who have gone above and beyond to try to assign production dates to glock magazines--none of which glock officially acknowledges.

i say don't worry about it. no ambi notch and no LE/GOV markings. therefore they are a-ok.

if you're more interested in the flailing arm-waving freakout crowd, go search for some of those threads.

IDing Glock mags is always an exercise in futility. But as far as I'm concerned I would be very Leery of that one. The high caliber marking and lack of the two mystery holes scare Me.

Generations 1-4 = pre-'94 ban
Generations 5-6 = during the '94 ban
Generations 7-8 = post-'94 ban
Generation #8 has the ambi-mag release cut-out in the front of the magazine.

G17mags-numbered.jpg

Yours looks like the 7th Generation. but I just looked quickly.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    70.3 KB · Views: 251
Last edited:
Can anyone provide definitive proof (i.e. hard factual evidence) that it's a post-ban mag?

No?

I didn't think so. I wouldn't worry about that mag.

but there are charts, they were made by internet people! [rofl]
Ugh. Burden of proof would be on the prosecutor. There's no way for them to prove beyond doubt that this mag is illegal. What else is there to worry about (aside from whatever got you into the courtroom to begin with, which will be much more serious than some mag nonsense)?

Ugh. Burden of proof would be on the prosecutor. There's no way for them to prove beyond doubt that this mag is illegal. What else is there to worry about (aside from whatever got you into the courtroom to begin with, which will be much more serious than some mag nonsense)?

nailed it.

Based on my research (summarized by the pic that MALDENQB02 sent), it's likely post ban, but it's hard to say for 100% sure. I wouldn't own it in MA though.

The coveted pre-ban fully metal lined drop free mags (4th pic from the left) have a "square notch" at the top rear and the "9mm" words have NOT been moved up to accommodate the LEO Only markings.

The one you have is a V-notch with the "9mm" moved up, but with the LEO markings removed (post ban the markings were removed).

Based on my research (summarized by the pic that MALDENQB02 sent), it's likely post ban, but it's hard to say for 100% sure. I wouldn't own it in MA though.

The coveted pre-ban fully metal lined drop free mags (4th pic from the left) have a "square notch" at the top rear and the "9mm" words have NOT been moved up to accommodate the LEO Only markings.

The one you have is a V-notch with the "9mm" moved up, but with the LEO markings removed (post ban the markings were removed).

That pic I posted is the one they showed us in the Gock Armorer course. so its legit.

All true, very low probability. But then again removing the possibility of getting arrested and spending $5k or more, multiple years of your life in court, and all the stress associated with that isn't worth it for me. Then again, there some on NES that will say they don't carry any pre-bans either for the same reasons.

glock themself officially shows this material and confirms that the dates are correct?

Yes, sir. I asked them since its obviously a big question here in the commy. They were able to show me the breakdown of the generations of mags with their production dates. I would have to go through my course material when I get home but its that exact picture that they showed us with all the generations of mags.

Last edited:
All true, very low probability. But then again removing the possibility of getting arrested and spending $5k or more, multiple years of your life in court, and all the stress associated with that isn't worth it for me. Then again, there some on NES that will say they don't carry any pre-bans either for the same reasons.
I'm not aware of anyone getting jacked up just for mags. It's usually an add-on charge and comparatively insignificant. I would love to see what a jury would think about "well if the little sides at the top of the magazine are angled slightly outward, it's evil and illegal and babies will die, but if the edges are a little more upright then we're all safe and fluffy". It's nonsense.

Yes, sir. I asked them since its obviously a big question here in the commy. They were able to show me the breakdown of the generations of mags with their production dates. I would have to go to my course material when I get home but its that exact picture.
Please do find it and post scans. We'd all be very interested in seeing this.

His other problem is the "$50-$100 valued" mag is really only worth $20. If that was his understanding as part of an incoming trade. Then very uncool. Caveat emptor I guess.

Well if it did have the mystery holes and matched #4 in the pic, he could likely get $50 for it.

I'm not aware of anyone getting jacked up just for mags. It's usually an add-on charge and comparatively insignificant. I would love to see what a jury would think about "well if the little sides at the top of the magazine are angled slightly outward, it's evil and illegal and babies will die, but if the edges are a little more upright then we're all safe and fluffy". It's nonsense.

Yes it is usually an add-on charge, which the guy at BU last year got tacked on. I don't remember the final disposition of that case but it certainly didn't help that he had obvious post ban standard cap mags.

Last edited:
it would be nice if you could confirm this because it's literally the first time i have ever heard of glock or one of their representatives confirming any of this internet madness.

I didn't take the ppt. slide with me. I just wrote the dates down with my notes. I can email the instructor and ask for the slideshow. Im pretty sure I have his business card too.
Try it and let us know. Definitive proof from Glock would go a very long way and turn NES on it's head.

it would be nice if you could confirm this because it's literally the first time i have ever heard of glock or one of their representatives confirming any of this internet madness.

This ^^^^^^^. There are plenty of unofficial threads and photos showing the generations and approximate timelines but Glock have NEVER commented nor confirmed any of them.

Back
Top Bottom