Powers of Boston University Campus Police

a little OT, but along the same line... When I see the brinks guys carrying M&P's I have wanted to ask if they have ten round mags.

Most definitely, unless they're stupid. MA has no special certification for security or armored car personnel, other than that weird Rule 400 thing in Boston. They're just private citizens carrying on a LTC.

a little OT, but along the same line... When I see the brinks guys carrying M&P's I have wanted to ask if they have ten round mags.

Well, they probably have 10 round mags unless S+W sent them some not legal in MA posties in the mail! [laugh] (Yes, it's happened to a bunch of people on NES... )

-Mike

15 rounders.

Wouldn't surprise me. There are a fair amount of people that carry posties, regardless of the fact that they are illegal unless exempted. I don't even bother telling people about the law (off the forum) anymore, as it's usually none of my business, unless they're asking for advice.

-Mike

Wouldn't surprise me. There are a fair amount of people that carry posties, regardless of the fact that they are illegal unless exempted. I don't even bother telling people about the law (off the forum) anymore, as it's usually none of my business, unless they're asking for advice.

-Mike

Not sure what the law is but I know it makes me exempt from Mass carry laws. Hell I don't even have a Mass LTC but I'm on the Cape 5 days a week.

Not sure what the law is but I know it makes me exempt from Mass carry laws. Hell I don't even have a Mass LTC but I'm on the Cape 5 days a week.

Usually in MA only LE and Mil (on orders) are exempt from such things.

If you are carrying in MA as a security guard/car guard, without an LTC, you're likely breaking the law when in MA. That's why Brinks, etc, offers bonuses to applicants that have LTC's, because they don't have to pay to get them licensed.

-Mike

If you are carrying in MA as a security guard/car guard, without an LTC, you're likely breaking the law when in MA. That's why Brinks, etc, offers bonuses to applicants that have LTC's, because they don't have to pay to get them licensed.

-Mike

That's what I thought. Brought it up in a meeting and they showed me the law. Now CT is a different story. We have to get are LTC there.

This story reminds me of growing up in Waltham. I was pulled over on a public street, going maybe 5-10mph over the limit. So I'm thinking, "oh crap". Then I look back at the car and it is Bentley College Police. After I finish laughing, I tell him to get a real job and peel out of there! These guys think they're real police and they're not. Especially when not on campus property. I think the proper term here is "Mall Cop"?

These guys think they're real police and they're not. Especially when not on campus property. I think the proper term here is "Mall Cop"?

Be careful - numerous private police departments (College and Railroad) get certified as "police" through the MSP and get police status. You need to be CERTAIN you are correct when you assume the uniformed functionary running a traffic stop is not acting under color of official authority.

-Mike

(6) there is a need for each State to reciprocally accept
weapons licenses of other States for armored car crew members to
assure the free and safe transport of valuable items in
interstate commerce.
http://uscode.house.gov/download/pls/15C85.txt

Be careful - numerous private police departments (College and Railroad) get certified as "police" through the MSP and get police status. You need to be CERTAIN you are correct when you assume the uniformed functionary running a traffic stop is not acting under color of official authority.

Maybe laws have changed since I was growing up, but any campus police had no authority to pull someone over off the campus property. Now I know if there is an ACTUAL crime going on, they could stop someone. Have things changed?

interstate commerce.
Of course, there is no more need to protect your valuables than there is my life. [thinking] In fact, many people frown upon the use of deadly force to protect property, but let's not confuse the liberals and Fudds with logic... [sad2]

This story reminds me of growing up in Waltham. I was pulled over on a public street, going maybe 5-10mph over the limit. So I'm thinking, "oh crap". Then I look back at the car and it is Bentley College Police. After I finish laughing, I tell him to get a real job and peel out of there! These guys think they're real police and they're not. Especially when not on campus property. I think the proper term here is "Mall Cop"?

Well, many universities, especially the major ones and all the major ones in Boston, have sworn LEOs with full police powers that are often supplemented by sheriff's powers, and some even occasionally have Boston officers riding along in case they do need to make stops on public streets. As I've said before... some of these departments are better trained and better equipped than their city counterparts.

Of course, there is no more need to protect your valuables than there is my life. [thinking] In fact, many people frown upon the use of deadly force to protect property, but let's not confuse the liberals and Fudds with logic... [sad2]

I hear ya. Believe me the last thing I'm going to do is use my gun to protect someone elese's money. If I do I will be charged just like anyone else. Not worth it to me.

interstate commerce.

So basically, if you are part of a "visiting" armored car crew, you are exempt, at least from gun possession laws.

It's still unclear to me whether or not that law would also extend to things like large capacity feeding devices. That law may indeed protect firearm possession, but it might not protect someone from possession of an illegal LCAFD in MA. Of course, if the legal interpretation is similar to the commonly accepted implied bypasses of 926A (eg, FOPA) the answer would be "yes". Whether that is actually the case or not, is a fun ball of wax. [laugh]

-Mike

interstate commerce.

Besides Mikes remarks about large-cap feeding devices . . .

Be aware that MA does NOT recognize the US Constitution or the UCC (Uniform Commercial Code) which I think 49 other states do recognize, so what you quoted could lead to an interesting MA Court case with very uncertain outcome, and that is even if a gun is never used.

Truth be told LEOs don't usually "card" security guards in uniform to verify that they are licensed to carry firearms, so many may get a "pass" even if they don't have a LTC (and work/live in MA).

Until someone becomes a "test case" it's anyone's guess how the chips might fall in MA.

I realize this topic has been beaten to death but just for the record, BUPD, under their Deupty Sherrif's empowerment, DOES have Ch. 90 power but for CIVIL INFRACTIONS ONLY. The Chief of BUPD, however, chooses NOT to have his officers exercise this power. BUPD DOES have the authority to write Boston parking tickets.

Well, many universities, especially the major ones and all the major ones in Boston, have sworn LEOs with full police powers that are often supplemented by sheriff's powers, and some even occasionally have Boston officers riding along in case they do need to make stops on public streets. As I've said before... some of these departments are better trained and better equipped than their city counterparts.

Good to know...thanks.

Besides Mikes remarks about large-cap feeding devices . . .

Be aware that MA does NOT recognize the US Constitution or the UCC (Uniform Commercial Code) which I think 49 other states do recognize, so what you quoted could lead to an interesting MA Court case with very uncertain outcome, and that is even if a gun is never used.

Truth be told LEOs don't usually "card" security guards in uniform to verify that they are licensed to carry firearms, so many may get a "pass" even if they don't have a LTC (and work/live in MA).

Until someone becomes a "test case" it's anyone's guess how the chips might fall in MA.

I keep pushing for my work to get us Mass LTC's. They won't. I can get a non res but its $100 a year out of my pocket.

Back
Top Bottom