Powers of Boston University Campus Police

Correct... the issue in the OP has nothing to do with C90 powers.

is there anything in Ch90 (or 89) about blocking the free flow of traffic,

We had drivers cited by various PD's for blocking the street when we couldn't get into the bus stop for one reason or another.

I wasn't referencing the actual infraction. I was referencing the lack of compassion displayed by the officer.

Fair enough... but still, everyone has their own reasons for wanting to break parking rules. That's why 90% of the streets in the city of Boston are useless during the day, because cars are parking in the roadway because someone has urgent business that can't wait.

We had drivers cited by various PD's for blocking the street when we couldn't get into the bus stop for one reason or another.

My point is not whether there is a citable offense under C90. It is that it is a parking issue (which is a municiple ordnance issue) and that C90 authority has nothing to do with ordering someone to move.

Last edited:

I believe that is a CMR, but again, you would have to check city ordiances. The only c89/90 stuff off the top of my head regarding obstructing has to do with emergency vehicles.

Fair enough... but still, everyone has their own reasons for wanting to break parking rules. That's why 90% of the streets in the city of Boston are useless during the day, because cars are parking in the roadway because someone has urgent business that can't wait.

Yup. Surprising as it is, few people violate such ordinances purely for the sake of being a$$holes. I work part-time security for a housing complex, and there is a no-parking policy for the driveway in front of the building. Without exaggeration, several hundred times per shift I have to tell people to move their cars because they can't park in front of the building. Each and every one of them has what is to them a perfectly legitimate reason why the no parking policy doesn't apply to them in their specific circumstance. "Oh, but I'm just waiting for someone to come down", "I'm just dropping something off", "My friend just ran inside for 2 minutes" etc etc. However, the policy isn't "No parking except for you, because you obviously have a good reason." Granted, this is just a policy on private property, but the logic remains the same.

Some time ago I worked for the PD of a major university in Boston (not BU). My info came from the prosecutor for said PD, so I'm passing it on but won't vouch for the accuracy of any of that info. All FT POs of said university were fully academy trained and sworn in as Special State Police and Special Deputy Sheriffs.

He has the authority....

You were double parked...... What's the problem?

Move your car and be glad you did not get cited.

I was told that campus POs do NOT have authority to give out traffic or parking tickets. They do it and enforce it upon students under threat of holding back grades (all laid out in the Student Handbook) . . . but if a non-student, non-staff member were to get a ticket they could safely ignore it. [NOTE: There is a statutory exception for UMass Police, they are authorized to issue traffic/parking tickets that will stick.]

Now, that said . . . if you refuse to move, he just needs to radio BPD to back him up and you can get a real ticket that will stick by a Boston PO.

Being polite and when you are in the wrong, following orders is the best solution regardless of what authority the BU PO has or perceives that he has.

HC, in Downtown Boston everyone double-parks. Even Boston PD double-parks to grab coffee or subs around the universities. Doesn't make it right, but it is SOP all over the Downtown area . . . and makes driving very difficult.

I believe that most or all special state officers (including most/all campus police) in theory have Chapter 90 powers, as do Sheriff's depts and constables. However, in practice they are not given the ticket books, so they can't actually write tickets for the most part.

This is the kicker, most have the legal ok to enforce these laws but not the mechanism in place. Read the start of chapter 90 and it says who is issued ticket books. Some agencies, I have heard, get around not being issued ticket books by using books from another agency.

Exactly! As a Constable, I have the statutory authority to issue tickets . . . but none of us would ever be given a ticket book to do so! No desire to do it anyway as it wastes my time and I don't get paid to do that job. Just pointing out as the above does, that the RMV is very protective of WHO gets to issue tickets and if some agency "shares" the books and the RMV finds out there is hell to pay (book s/ns are logged as to what agency they were issued to) . . . it's happened before and raised a huge stink.

I believe that most or all special state officers (including most/all campus police) in theory have Chapter 90 powers, as do Sheriff's depts and constables. However, in practice they are not given the ticket books, so they can't actually write tickets for the most part.

Not true. Harvard University Police does NOT have chapter 90 powers.

When I was at BU, no one ever enforced any kind of traffic laws on campus. All BUPD did was bust kids for pot.

When I was at BU, no one ever enforced any kind of traffic laws on campus. All BUPD did was bust kids for pot.

Not sure when you attended, but it looks like they do a bit more these days. According to their Clery Act data from 2003-2007 they've dealt with 34 forcible sex offenses, 22 robberies, 39 aggravated assaults, 439 burglaries, 25 motor vehicle thefts, and 6 arsons.

Heh, well they certainly didn't advertise any of the more serious criminal offenses. They did make a big deal about how they got bike officers. Dorky-lookin' shorts FTW! [wink]

Their jurisdiction primarily consists of school grounds. Not many can legally carry on school grounds. Are you wondering if they understand the difference between being on school grounds and being off school grounds?

Yes, definitely off school grounds. I know the law prohibits carrying on school property and would not do so.

Just wondering if they know the difference?

The politics behind all these private police forces is such that the "non-profit" institutions don't pay real estate taxes to support the local police. Therefore they're leaned on by the local politicians to pitch in and police their own. They also employ the mall cop variety inside the buildings BTW.

Menino has been making a stink for years about wanting the colleges to offer more on campus housing because as he sees it the student renters drive up rentals that displace his residents. [rolleyes] So BC has actually committed to 100% housing for it's undergraduates and is on track to accomplish just that. They even bought up every apartment in a high-rise and now it's a BC apartment building. However that means that Meninostan is not entitled to the tax from that property now, yet Menino wants it anyway as a voluntary tax. Menino really is as dumb as he looks.

http://www.boston.com/business/articles/2009/07/25/menino_seeks_payments_from_bc/

Yes, definitely off school grounds. I know the law prohibits carrying on school property and would not do so.

Just wondering if they know the difference?

Gotcha. Um, I'd say they probably do. I've talked with a couple guys that are police officers for STCC, and the limits of their jurisdiction is definitely stressed to them on a regular basis. Campuses try to maintain a good working relationship with the municipal police in their area. If they consistently overstepped their bounds, they'd quickly develop the same sort of reputation that many sheriff's offices have.

I just want to be perfectly clear, as I started a bit of a hornets nest:

- I was clearly illegally double parked, as were 30+ other people
- I've driven around the block numerous times never to find a legal parking space
- I was and am always polite and respectful to LE
- If there were a reasonable alternative to double parking I would do so

BU rents space to the orchestra. There are about 100 kids in the orchestra. Some families travel three hours each way to have their kids participate in this orchestra.

Beside this BU building is a BU parking lot. BU will not allow us to park there for the five minutes it takes to pick up our kids. But then they try to enforce parking on a parking on a public street in spite of the situation.

I am a very reasonable, agreeable guy by nature. I look for the path of least resistance. Parents in this situation are in a bind. As an extreme example there are several harp players in the orchestra. Kids bring their harp to practice. It weighs over 100 pounds with carrying case. My son carries a full sized cello in a large, protective carrying case along with music, drinks and a snack, notebook and music stand. What is a parent to do?

So I'll double park and take the risk. If I get a ticket I get a ticket. I take responsibility. If the ticket is issued by BU police I'll likely ask for my day in court. I am legally allowed to see if a magistrate is willing to listen to a reasonable guy. It will also test to see if BU is willing to pay one of their officers to go to court to defend this. They do seem to be willing to pay officers to enforce parking laws on public streets.

Finally, part of this is about my freedoms. We all know there are a lot of wannabes out there. Folks that pretend to have powers that they really don't. These may be security guards or campus police. On their turf their word is law. On public streets I'm a regular citizen who has rights.

I just wanted to know where my rights begin and end.

Thanks, everyone.

Best,

Rich

I wonder how the campus police who seem to have authority deal with citizens who legal CCW? I don't know that there is an answer to the question, but with official police powers it makes me wonder what their attitude is on citizens legally carrying...
I don't even understand what the question is??? Just like some "staties", some "townies", hell some "guys who sell flowers in gas station parking lots", how a campus police officer feels about CCW is thier personal opinion, some officers will think CCW is great others will think it is terrible...Maybe I'm wrong but I'd bet the job posting for the BU police doesn't read like this "must have bla bla bla experience with bla bla bla training along with bla bla bla certification and must not beleive in civilian CCW"...[smile]

...They do seem to be willing to pay officers to enforce parking laws on public streets...

You were there parked on a street in front of a BU building, picking up your son from an event held in a BU building...now i have no official documentation to this, but reasonable logic and common sense would say BUPD and BPD probably have somesort of agreement along the lines of "hey when you (BU) got something going on can you try to keep traffic flowing so we (BPD) don't have to tie up a car dealing with your traffic"

Last edited:
You were there parked on a street in front of a BU building, picking up your son from an event held in a BU building...now i have no official documentation to this, but reasonable logic and common sense would say BUPD and BPD probably have somesort of agreement along the lines of "hey when you (BU) got something going on can you try to keep traffic flowing so we (BPD) don't have to tie up a car dealing with your traffic"

Don't want to be disagreeable here, but since when do our laws and reasonable logic/common sense have anything in common? There are so many times and places where I would have expected the law to say or do one thing, only to find out that the complete opposite is true.

YMMV...

[grin]

Rich

Rich, the problem is not with what powers the BU Police have, but rather what rights they THINK they have.

These Mall Cop, Ninja, super-heroes waiting for a posting on their town police are the WORST to deal with.

Campus police in Mass are cops, period. They have the power to arrest you on campus and in the surrounding area. I wouldn't pull that stuff, especially while you have a CCW. I've seen Harvard & MIT campus police pull people over on public streets and arrest people all around Cambridge several times. I've even seen them assist Cambridge police in detaining suspects and searching for people on the run.

Don't want to be disagreeable here, but since when do our laws and reasonable logic/common sense have anything in common? There are so many times and places where I would have expected the law to say or do one thing, only to find out that the complete opposite is true. YMMV... [grin] Rich
I too don't want to be disagreeable either, but when did I say anything about law? I simply stated that it makes sense that BUPD would be allowed to (if not expected to) keep traffic flowing when the traffic is "thier" traffic.

To be perfectly honest I don't really see being asked to move allong (while double parked) as law/traffic/parking enforcement by BUPD, any more than if you were walking through BassPro's parking lot and saw someone non handicap parking in a handicap spot, and you said "hey don't park there"...

If the car says "police" on it, regardless of what type then they are exactly that.

I once had an environmental Police truck tailgating me on the highway. He was sniffing my butt pretty good and so I called the MSP. I was getting a little nervous that maybe I had run over a semi-extinct warbler or something way back. They informed me that anything that says "police" is actual "police" and yes the environmental police can actually pull you over on the the Mass Pike.

I'm not sure how true that is but that's what the dispatcher told me.

GBYSO!

If the car says "police" on it, regardless of what type then they are exactly that.

I once had an environmental Police truck tailgating me on the highway. He was sniffing my butt pretty good and so I called the MSP. I was getting a little nervous that maybe I had run over a semi-extinct warbler or something way back. They informed me that anything that says "police" is actual "police" and yes the environmental police can actually pull you over on the the Mass Pike.

I'm not sure how true that is but that's what the dispatcher told me.

GBYSO!

EPO's have broader police powers than any other agency in the state, to include MSP.

I guess I will say it again..... they have the authority

you, sir, are 100% correct.

I've been issued noise and speeding tickets on my motorcycle twice by these guys.

Personally, I don't mind them. I think it's nice that they keep the neighborhood fairly safe. Go south to Northeastern/Wentworth's mission hill neighborhood at night. Having lived there, I appreciate the BU police. Highly.

FYI there were a minimum of 30 other cars double parked in front of me.
If you were double-parked I guess that means you were in a travel lane.

Why didn't you say to him, "There seems to be a traffic jam up ahead in my lane. As soon as it begins to flow again, I'll be driving along."

Fair enough... but still, everyone has their own reasons for wanting to break parking rules. That's why 90% of the streets in the city of Boston are useless during the day, because cars are parking in the roadway because the city is a gigantic mess and has very little parking available relative to the number of cars in the city.

Fixed it for you to reflect reality. People double park and do other crazy crap with their cars in Boston because they have to, not because they want to.

Boston and large chunks of Cambridge are pretty "car unfriendly" to put it mildly. Then when it snows thats when the s**t really hits the fan.

-Mike

Fixed it for you to reflect reality. People double park and do other crazy crap with their cars in Boston because they have to, not because they want to.

Boston and large chunks of Cambridge are pretty "car unfriendly" to put it mildly. Then when it snows thats when the s**t really hits the fan.

-Mike

Boston is over built for the road infrastructure. At least down town, the areas where the big schools are, and the Longwood Medical Area. Driving in those areas during the day time is almost impossible. I used to have an assignment at work that would require me to drive from Boston Medical Center to Longwood a few times a week. I would have to schedule about 90 minutes just for the drive, round trip.

All of the build out of the hospitals, colleges, and downtown businesses makes driving a nightmare. I firmly believe that some businesses are moving out of Boston for that reason alone.

Not sure when you attended, but it looks like they do a bit more these days. According to their Clery Act data from 2003-2007 they've dealt with 34 forcible sex offenses, 22 robberies, 39 aggravated assaults, 439 burglaries, 25 motor vehicle thefts, and 6 arsons.

Most students are in the dark as to what their campus police do, but the above list is "normal" on any urban campus. Add to that investigating/prosecuting murder and suicides and you have the entire gamut.

I was taught long ago by my law enforcement family members that anytime anyone in uniform, on official duty, in a clearly marked uniform of a police type, tells me to do anything, anything, I do it and keep my mouth shut and my thoughts and opinions to myself.

That is the best way to stay out of avoidable trouble. Just my thoughts.

At the moment of truth (i.e. when they are performing their duties) I'm not second-guessing them. With-in reason, lets not start what ifing me, please. I might question them after, like you are doing here, but NEVER question them in person unless you have free-time and very good connections. If you do argue, very likely at minimum you're going to ruin your daily schedule, and more then likely the cop's going to cuff you and stuff you like Roscoe P Coltrane. For what, being wrong in the first place. You’re going to lose arguing with cops.

I think you handled it fine, and brining it up after shows your maturity and restraint.

Back
Top Bottom