Powers of Boston University Campus Police

richc

NES Member
Hey all,

My son has orchestra practice every Sunday at BU on Commonwealth Ave. Generally my wife drives him in and I pick up. Problem is, as you can imagine, there are 100+ kids getting out of orchestra and there are zero parking spots. So I've learned that everyone double parks and stays in the car waiting for the kids to finish up.

So I'm double parked and I hear the whoop-whoop of a police car. I look behind me and realize I may be blocking their driveway by about a foot... still plenty of room for everyone to get in or out though. So I pull up close to the car in front of me, still double parked, and make sure there is plenty of clearance. Now I am no where near interfering with the driveway.

So the police car pulls along side and opens his window. I look down and it is a Boston University police car, although it looks very much like a Boston Police Department car. He yells at me to "move it buddy". I don't want to get in a pissing match with anyone but politely explain that my is coming out of orchestra practice any moment and has a large, heavy musical instrument. He tells me again that I have to move it and then drives off. FYI there were a minimum of 30 other cars double parked in front of me. I was not alone in this situation.

So it got me thinking... what power do these campus police have? I was double parked on Commonwealth Ave and that clearly is not BU property. I'm wondering if they have the legal right to ticket? I imagine when it comes to BU property or incidents they have the right to arrest, but where does that stop? What if they see a crime being committed on the sidewalk around BU. Do they have power or jurisdiction? What if they saw someone run a red light... can they write a ticket?

Truthfully I'm wondering if he has the authority to order me to move? If I had politely told him that he has no jurisdiction on a publicly owned street what might have happened next? I'm thinking that he has no more power to tell me to move than any normal citizen walking the streets.

Anyone have relevant experience in these matters? For the record I was CCW and clearly wanted to error on the side of caution of being courteous and respectful... which I likely would have done in any case.

Thanks,

Rich

Hey all,

My son has orchestra practice every Sunday at BU on Commonwealth Ave..

So it got me thinking... what power do these campus police have?

Rich, the problem is not with what powers the BU Police have, but rather what rights they THINK they have.

Around BU, especially at this time of year with all the new students and people moving in and out, they think it's their territory. They're wrong, but what are you going to do? Sit there and argue with an idiot until some real cops come and then it gets to be a REAL pain in the butt.

These Mall Cop, Ninja, super-heroes waiting for a posting on their town police are the WORST to deal with.

As far as I know they are given certain police powers by either the State Police or Boston PD within the stretch of Comm Ave that BU buildings occupy. My wife went to BU for 6 years and she says she has seen them arrest people on Comm Ave in the past.

Obviously this does not apply to all campus security types, but I think this is why their cars are labeled BU Police Department and not BU security.

Last edited:
Rich, the problem is not with what powers the BU Police have, but rather what rights they THINK they have.

Around BU, especially at this time of year with all the new students and people moving in and out, they think it's their territory. They're wrong, but what are you going to do? Sit there and argue with an idiot until some real cops come and then it gets to be a REAL pain in the butt.

These Mall Cop, Ninja, super-heroes waiting for a posting on their town police are the WORST to deal with.

some boston universities have police with full powers. I dont know if this applies to BU, but it does to other schools, etc.

He has the authority....

You were double parked...... What's the problem?

Move your car and be glad you did not get cited.

http://web.bu.edu/police/overview/about/

About the Department

The Boston University Police Department is a full-time, professional law enforcement agency that also provides a wide variety of public services, including alarms, emergency medical assistance, investigating suspicious circumstances, and responding to and investigating criminal matters. Patrols are conducted throughout the Boston University area twenty-four hours a day and span an area that includes over 132 acres of University-owned property and surrounding streets. Emergency response time is generally under three minutes to any location on campus.

Boston University has 50 state-trained and deputized police officers. All new officers are required to complete a rigorous 22-week police academy. Every officer must also complete at least forty hours of in-service training, reviewing a number of subjects including law updates, defensives tactics, and CPR and first-aid certifications. Officers must also demonstrate safety and proficiency with issued equipment three times a year. Officers receive specialized training courses offered by the International Association of Chiefs of Police and other professional organizations.

All Boston University police officers are empowered by the Commonwealth of Massachusetts to enforce criminal law and to make arrests not only on the campus grounds but also in the area surrounding the University.

Chapter 90 powers vary from what I've been told. I seem to remember that BU and NU PDs get their Chapter 90 powers because officers from both departments are special deputies. That also gives them jurisdiction on the streets surrounding school properties.

I don't think the schools encourage them to do a lot of traffic enforcement as a rule. At least it doesn't seem like they do.

I think BU has it's own lock up now, but I'm not sure. Otherwise they all lock up their arrestees at BPD facilities. Which, if they are students, could be a whole different type of education.

Campus police for BU aren't mall cop, ninja, super heroes. From BU's website:
Boston University has 50 state-trained and deputized police officers. All new officers are required to complete a rigorous 22-week police academy. Every officer must also complete at least forty hours of in-service training, reviewing a number of subjects including law updates, defensives tactics, and CPR and first-aid certifications. Officers must also demonstrate safety and proficiency with issued equipment three times a year. Officers receive specialized training courses offered by the International Association of Chiefs of Police and other professional organizations.

All Boston University police officers are empowered by the Commonwealth of Massachusetts to enforce criminal law and to make arrests not only on the campus grounds but also in the area surrounding the University.

The Boston University Police Department has an excellent record for arrest and prosecution of criminal offenders. Our work has been formally recognized by the Boston Police Commissioner and the Suffolk County District Attorney's office. Nationally, the department was recognized in 1996 when it received the Jeanne Clery National Safe Campus Award.
source

They're a full service police agency. Heck, they even have their own detective bureau.

Last edited:
When the Gates thing happened the Harvard Police responded and I believe were going to take over until the arrest was made. They do have real cop super powers!

Chapter 90 powers don't necessarily go along with a badge. I know that Middlesex County Reserve Deputy Sheriffs (the guys who ride the black HD's with civilian plates) do not have Chapter 90 powers, even though they are sworn, The former M.B.T. A. "Inspectors" who were badged under " Massachusetts Street Railway Police" and sworn as "specials" by the Mass. State Police did not have chapter 90 authority, so BUPD may or may not have authority on Comm Ave, depending on what police powers they have been given.

I bet you could find the answer over on MassCOPS.com. They love topics like this!

I believe that most or all special state officers (including most/all campus police) in theory have Chapter 90 powers, as do Sheriff's depts and constables. However, in practice they are not given the ticket books, so they can't actually write tickets for the most part.

I guess I will say it again..... they have the authority

+1 Half Cocked has it right.

Furthermore, it's been stipulated by the OP himself that he was illegally double parked. Does it matter if it was for 2 minutes or two weeks? Just because others are double parking doesn't mean it's ok. As far as I know the BU Police are sworn and have the authority to make arrests etc on city streets. How about respecting a guy trying to do his job!

I believe that most or all special state officers (including most/all campus police) in theory have Chapter 90 powers, as do Sheriff's depts and constables. However, in practice they are not given the ticket books, so they can't actually write tickets for the most part.

This is the kicker, most have the legal ok to enforce these laws but not the mechanism in place. Read the start of chapter 90 and it says who is issued ticket books. Some agencies, I have heard, get around not being issued ticket books by using books from another agency.

I don't think the schools encourage them to do a lot of traffic enforcement as a rule. At least it doesn't seem like they do.
Private sector police (generally colleges and railroads) derive their paycheck from a private business but their authority from the state. If you appeal a citation issued by one of these, they must appear in court and their private sector employer must pay for their time - but does not share in any fine.

I guess I will say it again..... they have the authority

I wonder how the campus police who seem to have authority deal with citizens who legal CCW? I don't know that there is an answer to the question, but with official police powers it makes me wonder what their attitude is on citizens legally carrying.

Campus police are God on their private property. Their word is law. But things are different outside that domain. Do they understand the difference?

I wonder how the campus police who seem to have authority deal with citizens who legal CCW? I don't know that there is an answer to the question, but with official police powers it makes me wonder what their attitude is on citizens legally carrying.

Campus police are God on their private property. Their word is law. But things are different outside that domain. Do they understand the difference?

I guess you would have to ask them...[rolleyes]

Their jurisdiction primarily consists of school grounds. Not many can legally carry on school grounds. Are you wondering if they understand the difference between being on school grounds and being off school grounds?

Most people have answered the OPs question for the most part. If you want to look up the core of Campus PO's authority, read MGL 22c ss63. That is the law that covers all PRIVATE campuses and hospitals that seek police authority. That does not mean their authority ends there though. Deputy Sheriff powers grant statutory chapter 90 authority but limited arrest powers unless a breach of peace in presence (think OUI). They may also have an agreement with the city for limited parking enforcement. As far as I can remember parking is generally city ordinance, not c.90. The issue around c.90 becomes (like others said) how they are issued books. Most likely they would have to get them from the municipality, as they are most likely not on the RMV list. The jurisisdiction for special state police officer's is defined by the chapter I reference above, and ironically, was clarified in case law involving BU. I think it was Young v. BU and involved a 209a violation. Hope this helps!

disclaimer: posted from cellphone. sry for wall of txt

Back
Top Bottom