• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Please help me, say it ain't so...

First off I'll admit I am a through and through SIG Man with H&Ks as 'backups'. I own the P229 (.40) and P220 as well as a USP 40 Full and Compact. I had never shot anything but .40 and .45 handguns and also own a Colt 1911. That's it for pistols.

The SIGs and H&Ks have always felt good in my hands, you get quality out of the box, and jams, etc. are all but pretty much non-existent. And so I've always shelled out the cash for them, have sworn by them, and love them.

Well, I went and bought a Beretta 92FS a few weeks ago and just went to the range a couple nights ago to have a little fun with it for the first time. It was a choice for me between it and a S&W M&P. I got the Beretta because I like the DA/SA trigger. I just wanted a 9mm for two reasons - never had one and is cheaper to shoot. So I'm thinking I'll get a cheap pistol without any real expectations for it.

I wish I hadn't gotten it. Now I'm not saying I'm the best shot in the world, but I can put up some pretty tight groups. I shoot the best with the P229 and had always been happy with what I can do with it. - And of course it adds to my SIG Man pride. So I put in five cute little 9mm rounds and fire away. Hmmm, all five nice and tight just above center. I load up another five rounds, adjust my sighting slightly lower and BANG! - all five rounds in center black at 33 ft, the minimum distance at the range. I have NEVER done that with any of my other pistols let alone on the first time shooting them. Sure enough, I rip through the box of 100 rounds and had the best looking targets I have ever shot....

So, what's the deal? All my pride and love for the finer pistols of SIG and H&K have been for naught? I get what I was thinking a cheap, throw away pistol and it shows up (for me anyway) my others after years of shooting them?!? What can I attribute this atrocity? 9mm round?

Has anyone else ever experienced something like this? Maybe everyone...just the first time for me...

Many will disagree, but I think the 92/M9 is a fine pistol. I also love and own many SIG's, HK's and 1911's, but I would feel very well armed with Beretta. Hell, it's been in the service of the world's greatest military for 20 years. I don't see how anyone in their right mind could turn their nose up at that.

Nice buy, enjoy it.

Yes, agreed, many would disagree. I was just speaking from my own perspective of my own firearms and was asking if anyone has had one their 'babies' be shown up by an impulsive purchase.

It's disheartening...but yes, I will enjoy it! Thanks!

The Beretta 92 is not a cheap, throwaway pistol.

And my M&P with trigger work was a somewhat impulsive buy, which outdid my other baby, an SW1911, which was a spur of the moment purchase that outdid my S&W 520.

Attribute it to the fact that you probably have big mitts and the ergonomics of the 92FS just works for you. For me, it's exceeded in it's poor fit in my hands only by a Glock and the Bond Defender .357 Derringer.

*shrug* Hey, that's why manufacturers make different pistols - because no one pistol fits everyone's hands.

The Beretta is a pretty easy to shoot pistol. I own an M9, and my work weapon was an M9 (and a Ma Deuce) for about 4 plus years (then I went back to an "AR").

I like mine, and it's my CCW gun. Not the best in the world, but Ishoot it more than well enough, and much better than my 1911A1 (now if my 1917 Colt would conceal well).

Read Dwarven1's post, and I have to agree, if you haven't got big mitts like I do, the Beretta isn;t so nice. That's my the girlfriend prefers the 1911A1 (her CCW gun).

Very true. So there is no opinion that it might just be the 9mm round? ...having less of a snap, etc to it? I will say that also in more of a rapid fire sequence it was easier to regain the target and thus I was more accurate on the second round than typically.

Price I pay for being narrow minded I guess...I sure as heck gonna try out some other pistols I've avoided for so long...

Very true. So there is no opinion that it might just be the 9mm round? ...having less of a snap, etc to it? I will say that also in more of a rapid fire sequence it was easier to regain the target and thus I was more accurate on the second round than typically.

Price I pay for being narrow minded I guess...I sure as heck gonna try out some other pistols I've avoided for so long...

It could have an effect but the H&Ks and the sigs are all a different action than the beretta as well, which likely has something to do with it. The beretta is a locking block, while the others have (I can never remember the names so don't quote me) locked breach blow-back designs. Basically the barrel not being fixed is going to have an effect as well. The MK23 and certain S&W autos I have seen deal with that by tightening up the barrel with either an o-ring or a taper (reversed where the objective end is bulbous) on the end of the barrel but the ones you have don't make any allowance and so the objective end of the barrel is free floating (in this case bad).
It is a very accurate gun. Also, the barrel is a little longer than those other ones which isn't hurting and lastly, your attitude that because it costs less, it is cheaper I am sure contributed to the wow factor.

Try a P226 in 9mm if you can find one to borrow at a shoot.

Hmmmmmm, This is good to hear.[grin]

I am currently eyeing a 92FS for my first pistol.

DougT

Can't go wrong but frankly, you can't go wrong with any of the ones he mentioned comparing them to. They are all just different beasts. I like the idea of a newbie on the 92fs though because it is cheap, has a positive safety along with a decocker (the H&Ks do too) and shoots cheap ammo so you will shoot it more often.

Can't go wrong but frankly, you can't go wrong with any of the ones he mentioned comparing them to. They are all just different beasts. I like the idea of a newbie on the 92fs though because it is cheap, has a positive safety along with a decocker (the H&Ks do too) and shoots cheap ammo so you will shoot it more often.

Those are some of the same points that attracted me to the 92fs!

The nice folks at Blue Northern Trading allowed me to physically compare it to the S&W sigma and M&P. The Beretta felt real nice in MY hands. It did cost more though (and no rebates like S&W).

This is why I love this forum. The information/support for newbies is priceless!!

Hopefully in Jan. I'll be making my first purchase!

DougT

You know Smiles, sometimes we have little control over what works for us. Your fondness for Sigs and HK's is one many of us share, but it just may be the Beretta is the perfect 9mm pistol for you and has just been waiting for you to come around. I have been eyeballing one myself, but have my heart set on a .45ACP. Still, after spending some time lately with my old reborn HK Vp70z, I realized that I miss having a 9mm handgun. I have always considered myself a "45 guy" and have been overjoyed shooting a borrowed Sig 220, (I love this gun), but I handled a 92FS the other day and could not help but to be fond of how it fit in my big gorilla mitts....

One thing that might be different: You might have been paying more attention to the beretta than your boring old sig's and hk's... I find that I shoot better in conditions that cause me to pay more attention than casual shooting on the range by myself.

My M9 is my favorite semi-auto. I can shoot it a lot for short money and it fits my hand perfectly. Also it draws attention at the range when I use it with the 30 round mag.

Don't be discouraged that you shoot it better just be happy that you found a good fit. And keep looking for more.

BTW, I can barely hit the barn from inside with my 92FS. And I'm in the military (reserve atm). Good thing it's a noncombat specialty. Meanwhile, I can reliably hit a IPSC target out to about 50-60 yards (haven't tried farther) with my M&P (and pretty sure I can do that with the 1911 too).

Some guns just fit certain people.

Last edited:
I know, I know...."search is my friend", but what are the differences between the M9 and the 92FS?

Sights (three dot/92fs v. bar/M9). Finish. M9 Guide rod was metal. Don't remember any others.

And the markings on the gun itself, the M9 has the "CAGE Code" and is marked differently, even has a "US" on it. Serial number range as well, mine is marked M9-XXXX, with the X's being the serial number.

Of course, mine also has had the sights changed to Trijicon night sights.

BTW, I can barely hit the barn from inside with my 92FS. And I'm in the military (reserve atm). Good thing it's a noncombat specialty. Meanwhile, I can reliably hit a IPSC target out to about 50-60 yards (haven't tried farther) with my M&P (and pretty sure I can do that with the 1911 too).

Some guns just fit certain people.

I'm with you there buddy. I can't shoot worth anything with the service m9's, but with my pistols it's a different story.

Pistols, more than anything, are all about user preference/capability.

I think there is some truth to the fact that, yes, I was all about paying extra attention to my grip, sighting, etc because it was a new pistol. I would say I have average size hands and use Hogue finger grips on all my pistols. I like the softness of them and I feel the finger groves give me more control on handling the pistol.

Needless to say, for $600, this new addition is here to stay as I am excited about going to the range. Not that my enthusiasm for shooting has ever diminished, it seems sorta renewed.

Should I dare try out a revolver (*shiver*)? Never shot one of those either...

There a big difference between shooting semi-auto and revolvers?

There seems to be one drawback with my renewed enthusiasm for shooting...indirectly proportional to the wife's enthusiasm with me![smile]

I confess. I love my 92FS. Mine has gobbled thousands of rounds and each one has been an absolute pleasure. I honestly cannot say the same for my other pistols. Glock, Sig, HK, Ruger, SW, Walther, 1911s...I don't know why but the 92FS is the right fit for me.

I had some trigger work done but not before I fell in love. It wasn't necessary, just something I wanted to do. Now it's super smooth and crisp and that much sweeter to shoot.

If I were to take one pistol with me, it'd be my Beretta 92. Go figure. [grin]

Two things come to mind:
- Every shooter is different and their 'relationship' with every gun is different
- 9mm is under rated.

It's just really hard to argue with results. Hitting stuff pretty much trumps everything else. The ergonomics, and whatever other black magic goes on between an individual and a gun isn't easily quantified. If it feels good in your hand, is reliable, and shoot well - that should be your gun.

9mm is also a smooth shooting round in those service grade semi-autos. They get dis'd a lot vis-à-vis .40 and .45, but there's really no substitute for being able to reliably hit the stuff you're shooting at. And it feels good. Even the thrill of the big bang wears off compared to the thrill of actually hitting stuff - at least for me.

Ross's (Dwarven) first post was probably the most succint in explaining why the Beretta shot so well for you. When I was issued an M9 in the Army, even though I always qualified Expert on it, it never felt comfortable and I always thumb cocked the first shot because the trigger reach was too long for my small hands and I am a guy who has no problems with the DA/SA transition on a traditional double action semi-auto. You also are dealing with a recoil factor here, as the 9mm is easier to control for many if not most people than a .40 or .45.

Let's not forget that the 92FS is a quality piece of ordnance. Both it and the Sig P226 were exactly identical in terms of performance in the Army pistol trials. Beretta won simply by price, because the per unit cost was cheaper on the bid when they included the accessories that the contract required (I think at the time it was an extra mag and a cleaning rod..if not someone will correct me I'm sure). There was also a poltical implication at the time as the US was trying to woo Italy on a defense issue.

It is important to remember that the gun that shoots best for you, is the best gun for you whether it is a Raven .25 or a Les Baer custom 1911 retailing for $3K or perhaps in your case a Beretta 92FS (aka M9) [wink].

Mark L.

It is important to remember that the gun that shoots best for you, is the best gun for you whether it is a Raven .25 or a Les Baer custom 1911 retailing for $3K or perhaps in your case a Beretta 92FS (aka M9).
[shocked] I wouldn't wish a .25 anything on anyone even if it DOES fit their hands!! I've never shot a .25 that wasn't a jammomatic. [puke]

Have you ever shot a Baby Browning, a Walther or a Colt .25? There are some very high quality .25's out there and I would still take one of those over a standard pocketknife (not necessarily a high quality combat folder, though) Of course I wouldn't want to shoot anyone with a .25 because it might make them mad and then they probably would hurt me.

My statement was just a little literary excess for comparison. Sorry that it was wasted on you. Heaven forbid that you took me literally on this...still the gun that works best for you is the best gun for you.

Fraternally yours,

Mark L.

Back
Top Bottom