Plate Carrier - Do I need one?

And you are off the radar because they think you are suiting up for airsoft. [smile]

^^ you hear the guy start praying "allah snackbar" when the soldier pops back up!? probably thought he just saw a miracle or act of god haha

I figure if one ever deliberately plans to enter a rifle fight , then he wants real armor.
If Plan A is to avoid , break contact , GTFO of rifle fights then it is lower on the priority list.

Look at to this way :

are you spending money on plates before you have a dozen or two normal cap mags , the optics you want , ammo set aside , ammo already shot gaining proficiency ... stored food , water purification , fuel for heat or cars ? New prescription eyeglasses , upcoming dental work , a leaking roof ?

Whatever your sensible priority list is , when you get down to " Plate & Carrier " then buy it.

I know a guy who bought his second rifle in a different platform before he acquired preban mags or reserve ammo for his AR. He now has two nice rifles with one mag each. Fail.

I personally would spend the money on a gym membership and get some cardio work in before buying a plate carrier. Add a carrier plates ammo and other tactical-ool stuff and water will add about 50 pounds to your weight. Add a rifle and boots and then run. It will kick your butt. No use in buying something that will physically exhaust you and wear you down and make you ineffective. Everything has its costs.

If you plan to shelter in place a gas mask and some steel plates might be a better option. I am not saying body armor is bad, but just consider your physical abilities and limitations. The stuff gets heavy especially in the warmer months. Nothing wrong with making a steel fortress in your house. Or perhaps a nice long range rifle with a top notch optic to give you some breathing space. In either case try the armor on first and do some physical activity before you buy it

Last edited:
Def train with the plates I wore one for a hour and I was a mess of hello after running around with it . You put it in the first time and think this isn't bad . Then after awhile you realize how much it starts to wear you out if your not used to it.

Get lightest setup that will carry gear you need. That's my new philosophy. After humping all sorts of shit in classes and work

I figure if one ever deliberately plans to enter a rifle fight , then he wants real armor.
If Plan A is to avoid , break contact , GTFO of rifle fights then it is lower on the priority list.

Look at to this way :

are you spending money on plates before you have a dozen or two normal cap mags , the optics you want , ammo set aside , ammo already shot gaining proficiency ... stored food , water purification , fuel for heat or cars ? New prescription eyeglasses , upcoming dental work , a leaking roof ?

Whatever your sensible priority list is , when you get down to " Plate & Carrier " then buy it.

I know a guy who bought his second rifle in a different platform before he acquired preban mags or reserve ammo for his AR. He now has two nice rifles with one mag each. Fail.

This is very true. You need to have a lot of mags if you own a rifle like an AR. Why have 1k rounds of you don't own 33mags to fill with it?

I personally would spend the money on a gym membership and get some cardio work on before buying a plate carrier. Add a carrier plates ammo and other tactical-ool stuff and water will add about 50 pounds to your weight. Add a rifle and boots and then run. It will kick your butt. No use in buying something that will physically exhaust you and wear you down and make you ineffective.

If you plan to shelter in place a gas mask and some steel plates might be a better option. I am not saying body armor is bad, but just consider your physical abilities and limitations. The stuff gets heavy especially in the warmer months. Nothing wrong with making a steel fortress in your house.

I wore full gear for the Excruciatholon this year. Plate carrier w/plates, battle belt and PASGT helmet. It's a lot of weight. I'd never wear that for a full day. As I said plates are really for planned offensive assaults or medium term defense.

If you want one thing to have it would be a battle belt with rifle and pistol mags, dump pouch, a knife and a pistol holster.

I've never seen anyone actually use a dump pouch when things go bad. Its a nice thought, but better off with blowout kit (not sure if you just forgot to mention)

I've never seen anyone actually use a dump pouch when things go bad. Its a nice thought, but better off with blowout kit (not sure if you just forgot to mention)

I agree you don't want to die to retain a mag, but I run a dump for when it's useable.

FWIW I only run a med kit on my PC, not my belt. If you're going to keep something on your belt I think it would be one Israeli bandage, a couple tampons and maybe a small pouch of quickclot. Plug the hole and GTF to help. The belt is to move fast.

That's what I was hinting at. I've seen some youtube videos on lineX plates, I thought your results were better.

I haven't seen one of these lineX plates in person, so I can't say either way. I think if you're not a tinkerer like some of us, the idea of buying something off the shelf like it is better than buying a plain plate that's all.

I'm still married to my dump pouch. I've been training with it too long to let it go [laugh]

I've done a bit of research and have come up with the following two choices, any thoughts, negative, positive?

5.11 tactec plate carrier. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pAisRGoBFlI&hd=1
I know 5.11 catches flack for being "tactitard cool", but I like the idea behind the drag handle, the only draw back I see is no side plates.

Dkx Armor Level 3 Rifle Plate (seems to solve the spalling problem as well as the fragmentation into the neck/face problem with ceramic plates).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKbGy4AgzXM&hd=1

Check out

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vb...r-Body-Armor-BOB-Vests-Warbelts-IFAK-Kits-etc

Yes, you do, if you want to be tacti-cool AND if you generally believe that our society is held together with scotch tape and garbage bag ties.

The one thing about a plate carrier and plates that you will notice is how heavy it is. I had though it would be, but not as heavy as it actually is. I can't imagine sprinting around and hiking all day with one.

oh yeah... buy the dust collector. That'll leave some ammo on the selves for the rest of us.

I love gear. I always have. I have drooled over Tacticool stuff ever since the mid 80's when the only place you could find it was US Cavalry and Soldier of Fortune.

But for a private citizen protecting personal property I cannot even come up with one realistic scenario where a plate carrier would be more beneficial than something else.

I think anyone who sees a home defense application for this has some seriously flawed plans for dealing with aggression.

Now if the purchase is for playing "Operator" then by all means go for it. Because I like to play too. I just prefer to be a bit more nimble...

I've done a bit of research and have come up with the following two choices, any thoughts, negative, positive?

5.11 tactec plate carrier. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pAisRGoBFlI&hd=1
I know 5.11 catches flack for being "tactitard cool", but I like the idea behind the drag handle, the only draw back I see is no side plates.

Dkx Armor Level 3 Rifle Plate (seems to solve the spalling problem as well as the fragmentation into the neck/face problem with ceramic plates).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKbGy4AgzXM&hd=1

Says you can't buy the TACTEC online.

For ~$200 look at the shellback http://www.skdtac.com/Shellback-Banshee-Plate-Carrier-p/shb.125.htm

Main thing is to make sure it's going to fit right. If you've got something you like and are unsure post in here and see if someone has one you can try on, especially if it comes in sizes.

Example is my wife has a Tactical Tailor PC because they notoriously run small.

Great discussion, got me thinking! Thanks op for asking
As of right now I'll continue to stack ammo & mags and get a chest rig and more training!

Side note: I've tried a bunch of IFAKs and my favorite by far is the Condor tear away. The pocket structure is great. Oldest one I have has been on my PC 5 years now and no issues. I use my PC an OK amount. At least once a month at the range moving and shooting and I try to wear it around the house for a little bit at least once a week to remember its heavy and I could always use more cardio [rofl]

Says you can't buy the TACTEC online.

For ~$200 look at the shellback http://www.skdtac.com/Shellback-Banshee-Plate-Carrier-p/shb.125.htm

Main thing is to make sure it's going to fit right. If you've got something you like and are unsure post in here and see if someone has one you can try on, especially if it comes in sizes.

Example is my wife has a Tactical Tailor PC because they notoriously run small.

Thanks for the suggestion xtry, will look at it.
I don't see a quick release system on the shellback like the 5.11 nor a drag handle, though it does look to be high quality kit.

EDIT*** I'm also looking for something in grey or ACU digital.

FYI you can buy the tactec online it's right here:
http://www.opticsplanet.com/5-11-tactical-tac-tec-plate-carrier-56100.html

Last edited:
I got a banshee PC for $116 (with side plate pouches) shipped last year. I like.

Belt run a BladeTech drop offset at 3 o'clock. I've never run a holster on a PC but have seen people do it, something like a Tactical Tailor. http://www.tacticaltailor.com/modularholster.aspx

Perfect, thanks.

Side note: I've tried a bunch of IFAKs and my favorite by far is the Condor tear away. The pocket structure is great. Oldest one I have has been on my PC 5 years now and no issues. I use my PC an OK amount. At least once a month at the range moving and shooting and I try to wear it around the house for a little bit at least once a week to remember its heavy and I could always use more cardio [rofl]

2 pieces of condor I own are a dump pouch and a tear away first aid kit.

Where is the best spot for a pistol holster when geared up with a PC or belt?

Chest. Used them in the Stan. Can still get it if you are in a vehicle. Also does not feel like its gonna drop your pants when you undo you belt to drop a duece. There is also some overlap and discomfort with the vest/carrier on the belt holster. The chest rig set up came in very handy a few times. Very quick draw on the chest.

I agree you don't want to die to retain a mag, but I run a dump for when it's useable.

FWIW I only run a med kit on my PC, not my belt. If you're going to keep something on your belt I think it would be one Israeli bandage, a couple tampons and maybe a small pouch of quickclot. Plug the hole and GTF to help. The belt is to move fast.

I was taught to pack for the mission with your ruck, combat with your LBE, and speed/survival with your belt. On my belt is a drop-leg holster with pistol and 2 mags, a multi-tool, and a (backup) compass. Your ruck gets dropped at the patrol base/left in the vehicle/dropped at first sign of combat. If things go very badly and you need to bug out in a very expedient manner (i.e. not a tactical withdrawal, but a full-on escape and evasion), you'll be ditching the PC/LBE, as it will just slow you down. Besides which, you'll have already gone through your combat load of ammo at that point, so the carrier and rifle are just dead weight and can be replaced if you successfully evade the enemy. I would suggest using a separate Camelback for hydration, not one integrated into the LBE/PC or ruck.

Back
Top Bottom