Plate Carrier - Do I need one?

or do I spend that money on ammo/a rifle?

I see them on youtube all the time, the nutnfancy crap, etc, but I wonder if that's something I'm ever realistically going to need? Do I toss one on to investigate the shit in the night that bumps or is it just a piece of gear that's going to collect expensive dust?

it depends. it should not collect dust if you purchase one. i've run around in both of mine several times. if you aren't going to at least train a little bit with one, then don't waste your money and just get a cheap chest rig to hold some mags.

lucky for you and your interest gearhog is running a deal today: http://www.gearhog.com/

$149.99 for a Steel Defender Black Compact Plate Carrier with Level III steel plate (10 X 12 LineX)

you'll probably want to add another plate, but this is a relatively cheap start.

it depends. it should not collect dust if you purchase one. i've run around in both of mine several times. if you aren't going to at least train a little bit with one, then don't waste your money and just get a cheap chest rig to hold some mags.

lucky for you and your interest gearhog is running a deal today: http://www.gearhog.com/

you'll probably want to add another plate, but this is a relatively cheap start.

A thin coat of LineX isn't going to do jack for spall.

If the situation arose where JBT were firing on you, I doubt a plate carrier would do any more then delay the inevitable. Dead men tell no tales. I'd say rifle/ammo and of course a tactical roll and buddy rush courses.. [wink]

Last edited:
A thin coat of LineX isn't going to do jack for spall.

you'd be surprised at how quickly and effectively you can coat a plate yourself to essentially eliminate spalling. right, xtry?!

i am seconding the condor, i actually switched from the tactical tailor to a condor. the TT is a superb piece of kit, but i am such a disgustingly skinny bastard that i couldn't get a large to fit me, the way you can tighten the cummerbund on the condor is really what did it for me. it's nowhere near as comfortable as the TT, but i am not wearing armor to be comfortable.

Depends - are you buying plates?

[rofl]

Plates and a carrier are one of those pieces of gear that you hope to never actually need. You know, like parachutes, motorcycle helmets and airbags. If you ever do need it, you won't regret any of the money you spent on it. How likely is it you'll need one? You're going to have to do your own risk vs. resource assessment.

Food for thought...

Hold up a sheet of paper to your chest, it's not that much coverage is it? A 10x12 plate is not much bigger then that. They are used to keep your super important important bits from getting holes punched through them so a combat medic can get to you and patch up the other holes you got punched in you. Will you have a combat medic at your disposal when you don your plates? If not, what is a 10"x12" plate going to do for you when you become a bullet sponge? Maybe keep you alive for a few more minutes, but if you can't get medical attention, not much more then that.

Well that's just it. I don't know anyone to be fighting in as part of a "unit." I've done some training, but its limited to CCW situational stuff and my background as an EMT - none of which were "tactical" by any means.

Food for thought...

Hold up a sheet of paper to your chest, it's not that much coverage is it? A 10x12 plate is not much bigger then that. They are used to keep your super important important bits from getting holes punched through them so a combat medic can get to you and patch up the other holes you got punched in you. Will you have a combat medic at your disposal when you don your plates? If not, what is a 10"x12" plate going to do for you when you become a bullet sponge? Maybe keep you alive for a few more minutes, but if you can't get medical attention, not much more then that.

Food for thought...

Gecko45 had the answer, by simply duct taping extra plates to his back, to protect him from multiple shots of .308

Well that's just it. I don't know anyone to be fighting in as part of a "unit." I've done some training, but its limited to CCW situational stuff and my background as an EMT - none of which were "tactical" by any means.

I am not saying you should or shouldn't get some plates, I have a set, I just like to point out the reality of using them. If I put mine on for anything other then training, I accept what is likely going to happen if I need them.

I am not saying you should or shouldn't get some plates, I have a set, I just like to point out the reality of using them. If I put mine on for anything other then training, I accept what is likely going to happen if I need them.

ed is spot-on here. plates, while effective, will still not stop the inevitable. if you take a round outside of the plates, or get nicked just right with shrapnel, you're gonna need a trauma center.

Probably smart to at least have one. I've been in contact with a couple members here through PM about this exact topic.

I know if I ever need one, whether to defend my family or defend and fight with my friends, I could possibly die. A "little" piece of steel will probably not save you.

Even if you're not running around the range by yourself wearing it, probably cheap insurance to have just in case.

Plates have limited applications. Think planned missions. Armor is heavy.

Beyond that, a PC shell is a great way to carry mags, water and a med kit. You don't have to wear it with the plates.

I think most people should have a battle belt and a PC.

Plates have limited applications. Think planned missions. Armor is heavy.

Beyond that, a PC shell is a great way to carry mags, water and a med kit. You don't have to wear it with the plates.

I think most people should have a battle belt and a PC.

Yeah I need to get a battle belt. 5.11 usually the preferred brand ?

Something else I think to consider...those people in Nevada, a lot of them anyway, had nothing. And I'm sure most were ready to die.

Here is another deal. Carrier, front and rear AR500 plates, mag pouches and holster for $210... http://www.ar500armor.com/urban-go-plate-carrier-w-armor-and-pouches-black.html#.U0v0NaKWiSo

AR500_armor_urban_go_package_black.jpg

If nothing else you'll have a pair of nice target plates... [wink]

Realistically going to need? Probably not. But if you have the cash, I would definitely look into buying a PC+plates. Worst case you sell em later when utopia is achieved.

What is the "rifle" in this either or situation? What are you currently using?

Food for thought...

Hey 10x12 goes a lot further on some of us, lol. Not sure I could handle that much weight up top though.

Atilla, what are the specs on your pc? Plate numbers, sizes and weight? We are about the same size.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Something else I think to consider...those people in Nevada, a lot of them anyway, had nothing. And I'm sure most were ready to die.

There's no way in hell I'd be in that climate and walking around with plates. Water. Water. More Water.

You gotta use some common sense on when to use them and NV in the middle of nowhere ain't one of them.

Hey 10x12 goes a lot further on some of us, lol. Not sure I could handle that much weight up top though.

Atilla, what are the specs on your pc? Plate numbers, sizes and weight? We are about the same size.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

exact setup:

http://www.lapolicegear.com/tg-xpc-exo-carrier.html

http://www.thetargetman.com/product...-rhino-lined-for-frag-proven-frag-protection/

(get two curved plates)

http://www.highspeedgear.com/hsgi/x2r-taco-112R00.html

(three of these)

http://www.lapolicegear.com/tactical-double-pistol-mag-pouch.html

http://www.lapolicegear.com/tg-hcb-hydration-carrier.html

all in all the weight is about 25-26 lbs with a full load of six rifle and two pistol mags. i also have an IFAK on there.

I'm looking for a decent belt. I priced out an HSGI belt with an attachment and was close to $200. Looking at the EMDOM-MM CM belt now for around $45-$55 and wondering if I'm missing anything by going with that instead?

I realize HSGI is pretty top notch, but I also don't know how flashy I need this belt to be- looking to keep things fairly simple, reliable, and under $200 when all is said and done. Any advice? Should I still go with the HSGI?

(for reference, already have a PC with plates)

For those debating the value of plates, I'm just going to leave this right here...

The name of the game is cover. Plates are for those hopefully rare occasions when there is no cover (or you are bounding between cover).

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom