• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Painting a safe

I did a very large bank safe. I had the means to sandblast it first then just sprayed it with black paint. Came out excellent in my opinion, but that was probably due to sandblasting.

I did a very large bank safe. I had the means to sandblast it first then just sprayed it with black paint. Came out excellent in my opinion, but that was probably due to sandblasting.
yeah, i'm thinking you're gonna have to scuff the surface first but sandblast would be better.

cearex, every time i glance at your name i think it says cervix. [laugh]

Like any paint job it's all in the prep. Get that right and it will look good. Get it wrong and you will not be happy. I sprayed a few cars in my day....years ago, that what you need, a car painter who has a big portable compressor (assuming you don't) and a 1/2 decent spray gun.

To have a safe painted right you really want to take it to a place that does painting of metalwork. Either a motorcycle or autobody shop or some place that does architectural/industrial metalwork. A rattle can job at home is never going to look good enough or be durable enough in the long run to make you happy.

For rust use the POR 15 stuff they even sell small kits that may do a smaller safe or grab an extra pint. I've used this on truck frames, inner fenders, stuff is amazing and will seal over rust. Be warned all fasteners will be permanently affixed that are covered / in contact. There is even a special way to close the can so it is reopenable as it will seal the can. The only thing that breaks its down is uv sunlight. Anything exposed must be top coated while the por is still tacky cause once dry even paint will not stick to it's surface.

I restore old vises for fun (different scale - I know), but I use an angle grinder to get all the old gunk, hit them with a base coat of Rustoleum self-etching primer, and then the closest factory color possible.

I’d love to do a couple in BMW’s Estoril Blue, Porsche’s Speed Yellow, and/or Audi’s Nogaro Blue.

With out gettng to crazy on products RUSTOLEUM was made to paint over rust....now if your safe is rusty you have other issues. Now if you can find out what they painted the original safe with it could help you choose.

If your going to remove the safe to paint it might want to find a pro if you want really nice finish.

If your going to try and do it in place with a spray can/gun tent off the area very good and figure out how to get ventilation YOU.

Out side same thing make a decent size tent or you will all sorts of junk in your paint. Pollen, bugs ectect.

Now the fun part: current safe finish, rough tecture or high gloss, oil paint or powder coated resin? Some oil and laquer based paints can eat into poly resin type powder coats.

Prep is key as mentioned. i like to use TSP or just dish soap and water as the final cleaning method.
i have had good luck using Ospho
for rust converter , then spray gun rustoleum thinned out a bit.... its pretty good

Last edited:
Paint it to look like the bottom of a lake...

iu

Jesus. I was just looking for rattle can tips. No rust. Just ain’t digging the color.

I had success (on my steel ammo cabinet, not a safe) with rustoleum. Scuff the surface then degrease, you don't have rust so I wouldn't worry about it too much. Keep the can moving to avoid drips.

I did over an older metal gun cabinet a neighbor gave me but it was not a safe. I just took a wire brush on the end of my power drill and went at it. I took off a little surface rust on certain part of the bottom and any other areas that I thought should be smoothed out. Then I primed and spray painted. It came out pretty good and it wasn’t complicated. I’m not a perfectionist and don’t have high expectations as it was a gun cabinet not a Ferrari

Back
Top Bottom