P G Dowd, Northboro, Ma

GOAL would like to thanks all of these companies for supporting GOAL and helping make the Lucky 20 Raffle the success that it is. Lew Horton Distributing Co. Inc, Auto Ordnance/Kahr Arms, Tite Group Sporting, Northeast Traders, Mike's Gun Shop, Savage, Smith & Wesson, PG Dowd Firearms, Camfour

I won't be holding my breath for any GOAL outrage over the Dowd warehouse fees and business practices.

Ouch. Seems like a real disconnect exists here between GOAL and many NES people on this issue.

(fixed it, Rob)

Last edited:
Ouch. Seems like a real disconnect exists here between GOAL and many NES people.
In general, no. On this issue, yes.

GOAL should be declining any donation from Mr. Dowd due to his abuse of people who are victimized by 209As. I am very disappointed to read about GOAL thanking him.

Last edited:
GOAL should be declining any donation from Mr. Dowd due to his abuse of people who are victimized by 209As. I am very disappointed to read about GOAL thanking him.

It appears the North Attleboro PD may be feeding his maw by turning over guns it has only just received; notwithstanding the statutory requirement to permit transfer to a duly licensed individual (or FFL, if a 209A seizure). I really expected better of that department.

To GOAL and GOAL CM - Any official comment on the subject of GOALS support for, or repudiation of, the tactics of Peter Dowd's bonded warehouse?

To GOAL and GOAL CM - Any official comment on the subject of GOALS support for, or repudiation of, the tactics of Peter Dowd's bonded warehouse?

There is no requirement of them to do either. GOAL can work towards better, more transparent and more fair laws without needing to trash talk a member of the community, nor feel the need to justify or protect them from criticism. They can thank them for the good things without smacking them about the bad. In fact, that IS their job. We pay them to represent the entire 2A community in a positive light and represent our collective interests. GOAL can do that while simultaneously working for positive change. No one has made any case that GOAL has sold out the gun owners of MA by pushing for the laws dowd and others abuse. I suspect the opposite is true.

Every community has their black sheep or interlopers, but the mark of a strong, vibrant community is that it can handle these in stride.

Now, that said, we here on NES can trash talk whomever we want. We can take the shots at them and I promise you I will do that (who was the first person here to draw the connection in this thread...), as well as to vote with my wallet and take my business elsewhere. I understand how he funnels things through other store fronts and will again vote with my wallet with those stores too.

I have also made a point to raise my own personal awareness of the regs/laws/procedures surrounding this issue and what I will need to do if I am ever to suffer an injustice that puts my hardware into the hands of a person or company like that. I suggest others do the same.

There is no requirement of them to do either. GOAL can work towards better, more transparent and more fair laws without needing to trash talk a member of the community, nor feel the need to justify or protect them from criticism.

I never implied there was a requirement, but was asking if they were willing to make a statement.

No one has made any case that GOAL has sold out the gun owners of MA by pushing for the laws dowd and others abuse. I suspect the opposite is true.
All that is necessary for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing.

I am NOT speaking for GOAL, but I was at the CMR Hearing wrt some issues surrounding the bonded warehouses. Jim Wallace spoke eloquently that the whole bonded warehouse issue was wrong, mis-used, etc. Of course, like most hearings, all this fell on deaf ears.

So, GOAL has publicly made our case for us, without calling out any specific service provider (remember both Dowd and Cohen were in that room). The service providers had privately spoken to the Chair of the GCAB and probably provided written testimony to EOPS, stating their case (any controls on them would result in them withdrawing from the business, leaving a huge problem for the PDs) and thus keeping the "status quo" in place.

Dowd is a business man first and a 2A advocate second. I would still rather have him offer this service instead of a government agency.

Dowd is a business man first and a 2A advocate second. I would still rather have him offer this service instead of a government agency.

I'd question his 2A advocacy. I suppose I can write a check, or donate a butternut squash to PETA and call myself an animal rights advocate, while I'm munching on a double bacon cheeseburger....[thinking]

I'd question his 2A advocacy. I suppose I can write a check, or donate a butternut squash to PETA and call myself an animal rights advocate, while I'm munching on a double bacon cheeseburger....[thinking]

I agree, I just know that most, if not all the guns he has will eventually end up back in private hands instead of destroyed like a gov agency would do.

I agree, I just know that most, if not all the guns he has will eventually end up back in private hands instead of destroyed like a gov agency would do.

Honestly? Gut reaction? If my weapons and subsequent 2nd Amendment rights were pilfered by the system, I'd rather see them melted into a puddle, then wind up with a man like this - profiteering off of my woe....

I would imagine the hoops a .gov agency would have to jump through before destroying someones private property without due process would be numerous..according to the website,this service is performed so the police don't have to deal with the BS..I would also imagine the police couldn't charge for that service.Maybe that is exactly WHY the police depts don't do this,because they legally CAN"T charge for it do to a conflict of interest.

Contact us to learn how we can help you and your department take the headaches and liability out of gun storage and help you comply with Massachusetts gun storage laws and proper dispositions.

IMO the state should provide this service,since they are the ones making the absurd laws.

As it is now,there is a conflict of interest giving PG the business,since it IS a business he has vested interest in people NOT paying so he can profit from the judicial system that takes forever..

Say if you had a 10/22 confiscated for whatever reason..Immediately there is a $80 charge,before storage fees of $.50 a day..Say it takes 4 months to go to court and you get your rights restored..

You know have to pay PG MORE than the cost of the 10/22 to get it back.So unless you are an idiot,you leave the rifle and buy another one.

THIS is the crux of his "business",and it is wrong on so many levels.

I'll bet there are more backroom deals with PD's,maybe selling them confiscated weapons that the owner could no longer afford to store for a deep discount.Maybe he gives first crack to buying these weapons to certain people,who knows.

Last edited:
Greg, I agree with you and in no way agree with what he is doing. I just know that if the PD rooms are filled with guns for years on end they will be tempted to pass a law to destroy them in the name of saving money. I think his prices are way high. Why doesn't another FFL offer some competition and get these prices down.

Greg, I agree with you and in no way agree with what he is doing. I just know that if the PD rooms are filled with guns for years on end they will be tempted to pass a law to destroy them in the name of saving money. I think his prices are way high. Why doesn't another FFL offer some competition and get these prices down.

Maybe GOAL should do it [wink]

Although I don't remember the details, there is already a law that allows the PD to send the guns to the MSP for destruction after a set amount of time . . . I suspect that it is 1 year (from fuzzy memory, may well be wrong).

I don't think there is a lot of red tape involved, just requires a lot of storage space that most PDs don't have available.

Great idea. What a way from turning this from a negative to a positive.

Still waiting to hear from GOAL.

GOAL?

Jim Wallace spoke eloquently that the whole bonded warehouse issue was wrong, mis-used, etc. Of course, like most hearings, all this fell on deaf ears.

What is most interesting is that GOAL will speak about how the issue is wrong and mis-used at the hearing, but will not make this an issue with the members in the official newsletter as it does with all other abuses of the system.

What I find as troubling as the fees is the Village Vault ad in the MPA magazine which implies that a police department that wants to turn return the guns to an individual after they get this LTC restored, or to a non-FFL (in the case of a non-209A confiscation) must obtain an FFL to do so, and encouraging immediate turnover.

Just imaging if involuntary towing was run on "tow operator sets rates without limit, if multiple cars owned by the same person will not allow individual cars to be bailed out".

here is no requirement of them to do either. GOAL can work towards better, more transparent and more fair laws without needing to trash talk a member of the community, nor feel the need to justify or protect them from criticism.

I disagree. You call it "talking trash". I call it speaking out about an abuse of the system.

Last edited:
What I find as troubling as the fees is the Village Vault ad in the MPA magazine which implies that a police department that wants to turn return the guns to an individual after they get this LTC restored, or to a non-FFL (in the case of a non-209A confiscation) must obtain an FFL to do so, and encouraging immediate turnover.

He also sends fliers to each police department; basically the same as the ad.

Just imaging if involuntary towing was run on "tow operator sets rates without limit, if multiple cars owned by the same person will not allow individual cars to be bailed out".

As the "bonded warehouses" exist by statute, it is not unreasonable to have their fees capped and response time specified by statute.

Back
Top Bottom