• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

P G Dowd, Northboro, Ma

Dealt with these guys a few weeks back and was none too impressed with the level of truthfulness of what they said. Perhaps that is why the retail side of there business is gone and they are Internet only.

Anyone want to weigh in and comment if this experience was a one off or par for the course.

Update

Well I had no idea about this bonded warehouse nonsence when I started this thread. My interaction with PG Dowd was much simpler in scope, he just told me a flat out lie on the value of a firearm. He knew I would find out the next day, and I did.

On it's face it seems incredible that the "bonded warehouse" could be a source of free inventory and the website is a sales channel for that free inventory. Wonder how owners feel when they see their dad's service revolver go on the web site. No wonder he keeps his door locked.

I am surprised Mr Dowd has not responded.

Glad I asked this question and glad you all posted. Sounds like GOAL should go on record, and politely refuse ill be gotten gain.

Happy New Year

Last edited:
They were straight up with me when they were still open. They had a nice selection of firearms that were difficult to get, but they were a little expensive.

Respectfully,
jkelly

They were straight up with me when they were still open. They had a nice selection of firearms that were difficult to get, but they were a little expensive.

Respectfully,
jkelly

+1 I bought 5-7 firearms from them and had a good relationship. I am not a huge fan of the business he is getting now, but I would rate him as being fair and honest.[wink]

I was a retail customer and always had good experiences at Dowd's. They were friendly, not inclined to tell tall tales, had some occassional good deals in the store. What I liked most was I could stop and walk around the store for an hour and didn't get suspicious stares or anything else that made me feel uncomfortable. I was in with my boys one day and the guy working the counter came over with a smith & wesson and ruger patch for each of them.

I'm sorry, are we talking about peter dowd, the guy who obtains his firearms from MA residents for free by taking guns from the cops, which the rightful owner has no control over, claiming a storage fee and then selling them at market value online out of state to recoup that "storage fee"?

I'm sorry, are we talking about peter dowd, the guy who obtains his firearms from MA residents for free by taking guns from the cops, which the rightful owner has no control over, claiming a storage fee and then selling them at market value online out of state to recoup that "storage fee"?

Yes,and selling them through Yankee Artifacts..The whole thing is just wrong..I have heard some screwed up stories about their "business" model.

Back when Peter owned the retail shop in Shrewsbury and Northboro, I bought a few guns from him plus various other items. I was always treated decently and got reasonable deals from him.

MGLs created the "monster" that you are referring to above. There are other places in MA that also do this same thing . . . it is a huge profit maker for these folks and a tremendous rip-off and loss for everyday "subjects" in MA. But primary blame lays at the feet of MA lawmakers. I'm not sure that any court has addressed this issue, about obscene fees charged that lead to total confiscation w/o compensation.

So no, I do not approve of Peter Dowd's (or Marc Cohen, etc.) "business model" that serve this aspect of MGLs, however leveling blame at them will NOT change this situation, whereas aiming the venom at lawmakers might just possibly help make some worthwhile changes in that law.

Yup - the same Peter Dowd who:

- Will NOT let victims whose guns he is holding bail out anything less than the complete set

- Runs a misleading add in the MA Police Assn magazine implying that a PD must obtain an FFL in order to return confiscted guns

- Worked behind the scenes to scuttle any regulation of his fees or business practices when the GCAB held a hearing on the matter.

So no, I do not approve of Peter Dowd's (or Marc Cohen, etc.) "business model" that serve this aspect of MGLs, however leveling blame at them will NOT change this situation,

I agree it will not change the situation, however, some blame is due since Dowd got to the GCAB and told them any regulation of his fees would result in him shutting down in protest. (which, in my opinion, would have made it a double win).

Nothing in the enabling legislation required excessive fees or an all-or-nothing ransom practice.

The legislature has recognized that vehicle towing service is frequently an involuntary purchase, and often required due to no wrongdoing on the towee's part (being in a wreck, etc.) which is why the price is regulated by the state. While I am generally in favor of the free market, it's not a fee market when one is forced to use the services of a particular vendor and, as such, this is one of the situations when some regulation is appropriate. Another good change would be a mandated window of 30 days or so during which the owner could arrange to have his choice of FFLs' pick up the guns.

Dealt with these guys a few weeks back and was none too impressed with the level of truthfulness of what they said.
Back when the shop was opened, I felt the people behind the counter were a bit arrogant about their knowledge. At the time I visited, a well known attorney was in the process of getting some 1911's on the list. I mentioned looking forward to seeing some 1911's in MA again, and the clerk (not Dowd) arrogantly told me "it would never happen". Just because you're the one behind the counter does not make you an expert on everything.

I am disappointed GOAL has not spoken out more vocally against Dowd's practices - not so much to go after Dowd, but to point out how this legislation is abused. I wonder if there is a donation history that keeps his abuses off their radar screen.

Last edited:
There are other places in MA that also do this same thing . . . it is a huge profit maker for these folks and a tremendous rip-off and loss for everyday "subjects" in MA.

The ammo spun off from Dowd's "business model" often ends up for sale at a shop in Marlboro.

- Will NOT let victims whose guns he is holding bail out anything less than the complete set

- Runs a misleading add in the MA Police Assn magazine implying that a PD must obtain an FFL in order to return confiscted guns

- Worked behind the scenes to scuttle any regulation of his fees or business practices when the GCAB held a hearing on the matter.

AND, last I heard, required an appointment a week or more from when called, to recover one's property.

Said week+ being billed to each gun at the daily storage rate, of course.

I agree it will not change the situation, however, some blame is due since Dowd got to the GCAB and told them any regulation of his fees would result in him shutting down in protest. (which, in my opinion, would have made it a double win).

Nothing in the enabling legislation required excessive fees or an all-or-nothing ransom practice.

Rob, both Marc Cohen and Peter Dowd were present at the CMR Hearing you refer to. According to Ron Glidden, it was Marc Cohen that went up to Ron just before the hearing began and told Ron that any change in the law/regs that would limit the amount of fees or policies on the "bonded warehouses" would result in him shutting down his warehouse and "sticking the PDs with the problem of storage" (which is a serious issue . . . many NES'rs have quite a few guns and "evidence rooms" at PDs tend to be tiny closets).

I agree and testified to the fact that controls and maximum fees need to be legislated for bonded warehouses. Apparently the threat of said warehouses to withdraw from the market prevailed and regulators bowed down and let the subjects continue to take it in the ass. [rolleyes]

This thread sure does explain a lot. I could never figure out how this shop could survive when it is never open for business except "by appointment only." [thinking]

Now I know.

CLMN

...MGLs created the "monster" that you are referring to above. . . . it is a huge profit maker for these folks and a tremendous rip-off and loss for everyday "subjects" in MA. But primary blame lays at the feet of MA lawmakers. I'm not sure that any court has addressed this issue, about obscene fees charged that lead to total confiscation w/o compensation.

So no, I do not approve of Peter Dowd's (or Marc Cohen, etc.) "business model" that serve this aspect of MGLs, however leveling blame at them will NOT change this situation, whereas aiming the venom at lawmakers might just possibly help make some worthwhile changes in that law.

Which law specifically created this "monster"? Primary blame eventually rests with the voters of Massachusetts for allowing this to happen.

Which law specifically created this "monster"? Primary blame eventually rests with the voters of Massachusetts for allowing this to happen.

Try reading Ch. 180 of the Acts of 1998 and you'll see what I'm referring to. It created the confiscation and turn-over to bonded warehouses. Further CMR implementation put no limitations on what bonded warehouses can charge or do with the guns they get from the PD.

Ch. 180 was "written in the back room" . . . a total re-write of a bad bill, by a handful of hand-picked antis. I can't really blame the voters for that . . . only for re-electing most of them after the fact.

Len, I KNOW it was Ch. 180, and also know how it was sneakily written. What I was asking is what specific law you are referring to. Chapter 180 was a bill, and it changed many different laws already on the books. Just a chapter and section were all I was looking for. Thanks.

Originally Posted by Rob Boudrie
I wonder if there is a donation history that keeps his abuses off their radar screen.

The reality of it is that pro-gun organizations are put in a very difficult position when one of their donors does something negative.

Consider the case of the firearms executive who stated that "no honest man needs a gun that takes more than 10 rounds" or that "what this country needs is a total, complete and unequivocable ban on the civilian posession of magazines with more than xx rounds". Think he get a boycott for doing this or a feature article in the NRA Magazine talking about his generous donation to the NRA museum?

Chapter 140 Sectin 129D: http://www.mass.gov/legis/laws/mgl/140-129d.htm

At the risk of going Scrivener on you, I'll observer that this info was the third item that came up in a google for "MGL bonded warehouse"

I really would not have thought to put those particular terms into Google. Call it Christmas burnout, plus a cold. Thanks.

Anyone know how the proposed "MassGunLawReform.com" intends to fix this part of the law?

I really would not have thought to put those particular terms into Google. Call it Christmas burnout, plus a cold. Thanks.

Guess you missed Len's post:

According to Ron Glidden, it was Marc Cohen that went up to Ron just before the hearing began and told Ron that any change in the law/regs that would limit the amount of fees or policies on the "bonded warehouses" would result in him shutting down his warehouse and "sticking the PDs with the problem of storage" (which is a serious issue . . . many NES'rs have quite a few guns and "evidence rooms" at PDs tend to be tiny closets).

I agree and testified to the fact that controls and maximum fees need to be legislated for bonded warehouses.

Good luck with that cold.

Rob, both Marc Cohen and Peter Dowd were present at the CMR Hearing you refer to. According to Ron Glidden, it was Marc Cohen that went up to Ron just before the hearing began and told Ron that any change in the law/regs that would limit the amount of fees or policies on the "bonded warehouses" would result in him shutting down his warehouse and "sticking the PDs with the problem of storage"
Thanks for the correction - I thought it was Dowd who did that.

FWIW: Pete and myself go back many years. Purchased a few guns from him here and there over the years and tons of ammo. He's always been fair with me. Just got a 1917mfg.GRI #1 Mk III Enfield from him on my C&R. Flawless transaction.

Nope, plainly stamped twice on the receiver "GRI" on both the stock (or wrist)socket-right side, and then on the left top portion of the receiver interlock where the barrel screws in. I'm off to Harvard right now but when I come back I'll look up the "GRI" stamping and let you know what it means. The GR is correct but the I has something to do with something like Imporius or EmpIorius. I'll get the correct spelling for you.

Yeah, we had a ball. Shot the FN FAL, GRI #1 Mk III and a friends newly acquired Lithgow #1 Mk III Enfield. Magnificent rifles. You are most welcome to join us anytime. Just let me know.

Had a slightly sporterized No. 4 Mk. 1 FTF. I still have 100 virgin Norma cases and a set of dies, even though I sold the rifle about 8 years ago....

The reality of it is that pro-gun organizations are put in a very difficult position when one of their donors does something negative.

Consider the case of the firearms executive who stated that "no honest man needs a gun that takes more than 10 rounds" or that "what this country needs is a total, complete and unequivocable ban on the civilian posession of magazines with more than xx rounds". Think he get a boycott for doing this or a feature article in the NRA Magazine talking about his generous donation to the NRA museum?

And here is a very recent example:

GOAL would like to thanks all of these companies for supporting GOAL and helping make the Lucky 20 Raffle the success that it is. Lew Horton Distributing Co. Inc, Auto Ordnance/Kahr Arms, Tite Group Sporting, Northeast Traders, Mike's Gun Shop, Savage, Smith & Wesson, PG Dowd Firearms, Camfour

Back
Top Bottom