• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Opinions on Sig P938"s

Do you own one?

• I own one

Votes: 61 45.2%
  • I dont own one

Votes: 20 14.8%
  • I want one

Votes: 32 23.7%
  • I'll never get one

Votes: 22 16.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
So what's your opinion of these fine pistols, good, bad, or indifferent. I gave up carrying my Bodyguard because arthritis gives me a problem when I rack the slide, and gave up my 642 because I couldn't hit the broad side of a barn at twenty paces with it. The ease of shooting the Sig as well as the night sights make it my only carry piece. Seems to be a popular pistol, just wondering what everyone thinks.

Last edited:
I like mine. I got it for a good price, and it's definitely a quality gun.

I sometimes wonder if I should have gotten the SW Shield instead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The first time I fondled it my instant reaction was "This is a quality, sexy, piece of machinery." I actually didn't shoot well with it (personal problem) but despite that, it gave me a raging gun boner.

I got one to fill a niche that it turned out I had already filled (about the same size as a PM9), but I still love it. It's a nice shooter, plenty accurate, yadda yadda yadda.

I have a P238. Great gun. Was going to get a 938 (and shot one) because of how much I liked the 238. In the end, I went with a Glock 43 and will be selling my 238 as I also have a G42.

I'm not at all unhappy with the Sig's at all, I just think the glock is better for me. That said, with the difficulties getting glocks, the Sig is a really good choice and I don't think you will regret it.

So what's your opinion of these fine pistols, good, bad, or indifferent. I gave up carrying my Bodyguard because arthritis gives me a problem when I rack the slide, and gave up my 642 because I couldn't hit the broad side of a barn at twenty paces with it. The ease of shooting the Sig as well as the night sights make it my only carry piece. Seems to be a popular pistol, just wondering what everyone thinks.

They are a great shooting gun. The one issue I have learned is that you either get one that is great out of the box or one that needs a couple trips back for repair out of the box.

Mine has been repaired three times and now it is 100% reliable.

Some folks say they bought one add have 2000 rounds no issues. Some folks (Me included) had issues right from the start..

This was more true a year or so ago.. not so much now..

I stuck with it becuase I love shooting it. Very accurate, easy to conceal.. and i'm 20 mins from the pro shop. I'm very glad I stuck with it.

I would love to try one some day. I carry a gov't 1911 most of the year but I'm always switching it up for the dead-of-summer gun. If I could just stay with the cocked and locked platform that would be ideal.
Summer guns include EG Makarov, Glock 42 and Ruger LCP

I had a bodyguard, it is the only gun I have ever sold, I just didn't like it, the trigger pull was horrible.

I have the P938 scorpion with threaded barrel and love it, it's my edc, I have a OWB and IWB holster and it disappears in what ever I wear.

It as a nice weight to it and very accurate to shoot, nice trigger and nights sights out of the box.

You can rent one at Mass Firearms and shoot one to see if it's to your liking.

harry

I have the scorpion P938 which is no longer available. I had some initial issues with it loosing grip screws and a heavier than it should be trigger. After about 2K rounds it has smoothed out quite a bit.

Have a 238 with Hogues, LOVE it.
If they had the 938 when I was shopping, I'da bought that one.
I may still go out and buy it, because guns.

My wife has a P238, which we both love. I want her to upgrade to the P938 once she's a bit more comfortable with the P238.

I don't like the hogue grips, in my opinion they make it too fat in the handle and it sticks to clothing.

I made her a set of thin grips for her P238 and put some talon grip tape on the front strap. It works really well on the .380, not sure how well it would work for the 9mm.

Here's a few pics.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    134.1 KB · Views: 251
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 250
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    190.6 KB · Views: 249
I've shot three or four different ones, every single one had problems with the magazines causing feeding issues. A well respected firearms instructor around here has told me the same thing and he's seen dozens with the same issue. His words were "It's not a life saver."

Aside from that, when I've got them to fire more than one round at a time they've been great shooters.

I've shot three or four different ones, every single one had problems with the magazines causing feeding issues. A well respected firearms instructor around here has told me the same thing and he's seen dozens with the same issue. His words were "It's not a life saver."

Aside from that, when I've got them to fire more than one round at a time they've been great shooters.

I saw a guy at my range having the same issues, but his was brand new. Not sure what the break in period is. I've had zero issues with the P238.

If I'm not mistaken it will be just as hard to rack the slide on the 938 as the BG380. I've owned both along with two 238s. I now have another BG380. I had 4 FTF's with ZQI ammo in the 938. They fired out of my 226 though. Personally, I think the 238 is a better gun. Less recoil, easier to control and the only problem I had with the 238s' was the ejector crimping the open end of the brass coming out of the gun. Did it on the used one, Sig fixed it and then on the brand new one.

My opinion on carry varies by season and dress with my choice of caliber and capacity based upon concealability. I will never allow the weapon to dictate the way I dress and most of my clothes are pretty close fitting. With that said, the P238 is arguably my favorite piece to carry.

Size and caliber:

Micro-compact: Sig P238 - .380 ACP - Remington UMC 95 Grain FMJ - Extended mag 7+1 - Condition 1 carry - Summer tshirt and jeans + open button down + OWB holster or in pea coat dedicated pocket during winter with no holster carried hammer down with safety off and discreetly transfered to suit jacket or waist coat pocket when coat is removed. I have a taste for the finer things in life :)

Subcompact: S&W M&P Shield - 9x19mm - Remington Golden Sabre JHP +P - Extended Mag 8+1 - Condition 1 carry - Cooler weather carry with closed button down OWB holster.

Compact: Beretta Model 84 Cheetah - .380 ACP - Remington UMC 95 Grain FMJ - 13+1 double stack mag - round chambered, hammer down, safety off - Leather jacket weather with closed button down in OWB holster.

Full size: Beretta Model 92FS/M9 - 9x19mm - Remington Golden Sabre 147 Grain JHP +P - 15 round mag - Rarely carry this one and when I do its in a suit with a shoulder holster. Other than that it is a strictly bed side or range gun. When on bed side it is kept full mag in, no round in chamber, hammer down, safety on.

Last edited:
I like mine.
Haven't had a problem with it athough I probably have only shot 300-400 rounds through it.
A fine tiny shooter and plenty accurate. It's a great pocket gun.
Put Hogue G10 Piranna's w/backstrap on it and it stays put in your hand. The backstrap is a bit of a pain in the ass to install because you basically have to disassemble the entire gun.

Last edited:
I owned one and got rid of it. I couldn't shoot it well and it never went more than 150 rounds without a malfunction. Replaced it with a Ruger LC9s, and ended up getting rid of that because I couldn't shoot that worth a damn either. Now I have a Shield 9, and I couldn't be happier. The combination of a little more weight and a longer sight radius makes it very accurate for me, and it's got over 800 rounds without a malfunction.

I have one and recommend it. Mine started dropping mags and I sent it back for repair. No problems since. No other issues. Always shoot 124gn HST through it. Nice EDC weapon.

I have the Extreme which has the G10 grips. I find I can hold it very well. I guess I was lucky, it has been 100% out of the box. I'm searching now for a good leather holster, as the one I have now isn't quite satisfying my fetish for good gunleather. Something that would help guard my love handle from chafing. 4:00 carry. Racking the slide is definitely easier with arthritis that the BG and the single action only is a godsend.

poll is missing "owned one but sold it" which is where I would fit. it's an interesting little gun but not built for heavy use. i also found the trigger guard too small for my liking.

if someone were a hardcore 1911 person then i could see the 938 being an interesting option, but for someone like myself who barely shoots 1911 the condition 1 system just isn't practical for carry. and nowadays there are so many fantastic small carry guns I don't think the P938 has all that much to offer anymore. YMMV.

I had the 238, loved it, shooting it was like throwing darts, could carry it anywhere. Traded up for the 938 to consolidate carry calibers, had to send it back because it would drop the hammer to the half cock position but they were quick to repair & send it back. Had some mag/feed issues until I ran a couple hundred rounds through it but it has worked fine ever since. You need to be comfortable w the 1911 manual of arms, its cocked and locked when carrying. Doesn't bother me so much w kydex IWB carry but when I put it in the ankle rig (BugBite) I can't help but thinking it could go off when holstering/unholstering. If I had to do it again I'd have evaluated other micro 9's. I was so enamored w the 238 I didn't even look at micro 9 alternatives. I prefer carrying the Shield but the 938 is my Summer carry option.

poll is missing "owned one but sold it" which is where I would fit. it's an interesting little gun but not built for heavy use. i also found the trigger guard too small for my liking.

if someone were a hardcore 1911 person then i could see the 938 being an interesting option, but for someone like myself who barely shoots 1911 the condition 1 system just isn't practical for carry. and nowadays there are so many fantastic small carry guns I don't think the P938 has all that much to offer anymore. YMMV.

I tried to change the poll but I couldn't. Valid reasons for selling yours but I disagree on them not good for heavy use. Replacing springs and such is just maintenance. Keep it clean and it will last forever.

I had the 238, loved it, shooting it was like throwing darts, could carry it anywhere. Traded up for the 938 to consolidate carry calibers, had to send it back because it would drop the hammer to the half cock position but they were quick to repair & send it back. Had some mag/feed issues until I ran a couple hundred rounds through it but it has worked fine ever since. You need to be comfortable w the 1911 manual of arms, its cocked and locked when carrying. Doesn't bother me so much w kydex IWB carry but when I put it in the ankle rig (BugBite) I can't help but thinking it could go off when holstering/unholstering. If I had to do it again I'd have evaluated other micro 9's. I was so enamored w the 238 I didn't even look at micro 9 alternatives. I prefer carrying the Shield but the 938 is my Summer carry option.
It took me a little while to get used to condition 1. I have a Kusiak leather holster that's molded around the safety and when it's holstered you can't force the safety off.

938 two tone rosewood. grips immediately replaced with hougue. love it, never had an fte or ftf and it is the first gen
that some have reported issues with the mainspring retainer?? (hope i have that right) inspected mine, no problems.

my go to edc.

7 round extended mag with two 6 rounders in my pocket. 1 less than my sr9c with 1 10 round extra. (1 in the pipe on both)

bought new from an NES'R who never reciprocated my positive feedback score. (you know who you are if you read this, thanks for nothing)

there's a whole thread on these in the firearms section

I tried to change the poll but I couldn't. Valid reasons for selling yours but I disagree on them not good for heavy use. Replacing springs and such is just maintenance. Keep it clean and it will last forever.

well after ~2.5k rounds my slide rails showing excessive wear, slide was wobbling all over, two small cracks in frame, recoil spring fell apart, went through at least 3 recoil springs, barrel no longer locked up snug in the hood....i think i'm missing a few others.

Back
Top Bottom