• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Open carry deters robbery in Georgia

http://www.examiner.com/x-5619-Atla...8-Open-carry-deters-armed-robbery-in-Kennesaw

Open carry deters armed robbery in Kennesaw
February 18, 9:12 AMAtlanta Gun Rights ExaminerEd Stone
Previous
1 comment Print Email RSS Subscribe
Subscribe

Get alerts when there is a new article from the Atlanta Gun Rights Examiner. Read Examiner.com's terms of use.
Email Address

Include other special offers from Examiner.com
Terms of Use

Lynn, Matt and J.P.'s regular waitress at the Wafflehouse, proudly displays a Guns Save Lives button

Two customers displaying holstered pistols deterred an armed robbery in a Kennesaw Wafflehouse recently.

There is some debate raging in Georgia about whether people should conceal their holstered handguns while in public. Some believe that wearing handguns openly will result in a loss of the element of surprise during a criminal attack, such as an armed robbery, while others believe that wearing handguns openly deters criminal attack. For Matt Brannan and J.P. Mitchell, who carry openly as a routine, the issue is no longer academic.

Matt Brannan and J.P. Mitchell were dining in the Wafflehouse on Barrett Parkway at I-575 in Kennesaw at 4:45 in the morning recently when a scout for an armed robbery crew entered the restaurant to case it. At the time, Matt and J.P. thought he looked a little suspicious, as he was wandering around the small restaurant like he was looking for someone. Unknown to Matt and J.P., two cars full of armed robbers where parked behind the restaurant waiting for the scout's report.

The scout saw that two of the customers were wearing holstered 1911 Springfield Mil-Spec .45 pistols, and he immediately turned and left the store.

Meanwhile, conscientious Cobb County Police Officer D. Lowe had noticed suspicious cars sitting behind the restaurant in the dark and decided to investigate. He caught men with masks and rifles who had been preparing to rob the Wafflehouse. The criminals informed the police that they had changed their mind upon discovering armed customers and were waiting for Matt and J.P. to leave. Ironically, the police car was pulling in to the parking lot just as Matt and J.P. were driving away. In other words, had Matt and J.P. not been armed, the robbery probably would have occurred before the police intervened.

Captain Jerry Quan, the Commander for Precinct One, where the Wafflehouse is located, confirmed Matt Brannan's story as one in which the open display of a pistol deterred a well armed robbery crew.

Matt Brannan is making an Open Records Act request, and there will be an update to this story when more information is available. The case number is 09-133500. There will be updates and follow up articles as more information becomes available.

If you do not want to miss any follow up articles, please click on the Subsribe button under the headline, above.

Related Articles:

Carrying a firearm openly is not illegal in Georgia

Federal court rules no probable cause for arrest for openly carried firearm

As usual, thieves are nothing but cowards, the mere threat of 2 armed patrons was enough to scare off 2 cars "full of armed robbers" that were armed with rifles.

A) Criminals obviously are stupid and don't spend a heck of a lot of time with research.........Kennesaw, Georgia is well known as the lawfully armed citizen capital of the United States

B) Once again guns deter crime....

Isn't Kennesaw the place that has a law that every household must own a working firearm?

"On May 1, 1982 the city passed an ordinance [Sec 34-1a] requiring every head of household to maintain a firearm together with ammunition. It was passed partly in response to a 1981 handgun ban in Morton Grove, Illinois. Kennesaw's law was amended in 1983 to exempt those who conscientiously object to owning a firearm, convicted felons, those who cannot afford a firearm, and those with a mental or physical disability that would prevent them from owning a firearm. It mentions no penalty for its violation. According to the Kennesaw Historical Society, no one has ever been charged under the ordinance, but the burglary rate has decreased by at least 50 per cent."

"On May 1, 1982 the city passed an ordinance [Sec 34-1a] requiring every head of household to maintain a firearm together with ammunition. It was passed partly in response to a 1981 handgun ban in Morton Grove, Illinois. Kennesaw's law was amended in 1983 to exempt those who conscientiously object to owning a firearm, convicted felons, those who cannot afford a firearm, and those with a mental or physical disability that would prevent them from owning a firearm. It mentions no penalty for its violation. According to the Kennesaw Historical Society, no one has ever been charged under the ordinance, but the burglary rate has decreased by at least 50 per cent."

I know where I want to retire to!

Who the f--- would be stupid enough to try and hold up a Waffle House in Kennesaw?
It is my understanding that most criminals are not exactly the sharpest tools in the drawer. For example:

Thirty-three-year-old David Zaback entered H&J Leather & Firearms Ltd. at approximately 4:40 in the afternoon brandishing a .38-caliber semiautomatic handgun and announced his intention to rob the store. He threatened to shoot anyone who got in his way.

Having apparently failed to notice the police car parked in front of the gun shop when he walked in, Zaback found himself confronted by a uniformed officer and an armed clerk, who ordered him to drop his gun. Zaback opened fire instead, drawing a fatal volley of shots from the clerk and the policeman, both of whom survived the shootout unharmed.

According to the county medical examiner, Zaback was shot a total of four times and died a few hours later in the emergency room. "Several" armed patrons also drew weapons, the Times confirms, but none actually fired on Zaback.

Beyond that, it's a Waffle House for crying out loud. Face it, if you like guns you also probably like Waffle House. I know every time I head south down I-95 I start to salivate when I see the glow of those yellow squares in the night sky. If you walk into a Waffle House down south, there's a fair chance that someone around you is probably armed. If you walk into a Waffle House in Kennesaw, there's a fair chance that several people around you are armed. The Panera in Kennesaw might have been a wiser choice.

Guess that settles the question of whether or not open carry prevents crimes. (Yeah, I know... it's only one datapoint. But it's a pretty telling one!)

Beyond that, it's a Waffle House for crying out loud. Face it, if you like guns you also probably like Waffle House.

I don't know; I've yet to find one that's no-smoking. I won't patronize them because, frankly, they all stink. Of cigarette smoke, that is. *shrug*

Do a winter there and get back to us...

serious.jpg

The weather here isn't exactly a pile of fun, either...

DSC02373-1.jpg

Don't get me started... [laugh]

-Mike

Who the f--- would be stupid enough to try and hold up a Waffle House in Kennesaw?

I've been to this waffle house several times( I Love Waffle house), I think there are at least 10 Waffle Houses in the area. This one had a cook that would flip the pans around, toss the eggs and stuff, it was like a floor show. They were always busy too.

Open carry in GA

Proudly born and raised in Ga, not far from Kennesaw. Open carry there to CC in CT wass a huge change. When in GA, and I would roll into a "GSP" check-point / safety check. My 45 would be on the dash or on the seat next to me, in easy sight of the trooper, I was asked a few times if my piece was loaded. I always answered, in the affirmative. And always got "Good" as responce from Trooper. God, I miss that part of living there.[crying]

Proudly born and raised in Ga, not far from Kennesaw. Open carry there to CC in CT wass a huge change. When in GA, and I would roll into a "GSP" check-point / safety check. My 45 would be on the dash or on the seat next to me, in easy sight of the trooper, I was asked a few times if my piece was loaded. I always answered, in the affirmative. And always got "Good" as responce from Trooper. God, I miss that part of living there.[crying]

+10 for that trooper.....you had to think "God bless America!"

Back
Top Bottom