Open Carry Day

Status
Not open for further replies.
4) I was just in NH the other day and didn't open carry. Why? Because I think it's a stupid idea and no one needs to know that I'm carrying.
This, times about a billion...I've always thought that "open carry" basically means "Shoot me first" to the bad guy/armed robber/depressed-cuz-my-wife's-cheatin guy at the pub/etc etc...You'll find out if I'm carrying - if you put me in a situation where I have to defend myself with my gun.

Not before.

Next, we suspect that the average Massachusetts resident may become "alarmed" on learning that someone other than a law enforcement officer is carrying concealed weapons in his or her presence.
Sad but true.
However, Simkin is not responsible for alarm caused to others by his mere carrying of concealed weapons pursuant to a license permitting him to do exactly that.
I'm surprised that opinion was written as recently as 2013. Popular thinking these days is people have a fundamental right never to be afraid or upset by anything.

i don't think this would help to put gun owners in a good light, either by the law enforcement or the general public.
This.. It's Massachusetts...The ONLY thing that would put gun owners "in a good light" here is if every single gun owner would bring every single gun they own down to the police station, so that the nice friendly officer can confiscate and destroy the evil, icky, disgusting damned things...

Just sayin'

Last edited:
I have a friend who refused to believe that it's legal to carry a gun in this state until I pulled out the gun I was carrying!
This...And do that to enough people in Moonbat MA and eventually you'll be up against the wall, feet back and spread em... "Brandishing, Assault with a Deadly Weapon, (etc etc etc).

"But...I thought you were my friend?"

This...And do that to enough people in Moonbat MA and eventually you'll be up against the wall, feet back and spread em... "Brandishing, Assault with a Deadly Weapon, (etc etc etc).

"But...I thought you were my friend?"
If you think your friends might rat on you, you should probably find some new friends.

I'm not opposed to open carry but I'm not a fan. I don't want to draw unwanted attention from law enforcement or bystanders and I don't want anyone with bad intentions to know I have a gun until they're looking at the wrong end of it.

Its these attitudes that de-evolve us. Just remember people.... open carry is LEGAL. The more we PANDER to THEM....the more we LOSE. TO MANY Pansies in this state.
IN for open carry day

The only way to accomplish an OC day in MA is to do so on Private Property. Perhaps we hold OC picnics / BBQ's statewide on July 4th in our backyards?

I prefer Concealed Carry.

It's the MYOFB clause of Gun Rights...

I generally do not see any reason for open carry, at least in a heavily populated area, especially in an area populated by liberal anti-gun types. But if you want to, I am not going to try to rain on your parade. The pros and cons of open carry vs concealed have been widely discussed and I think it would be difficult to come up with any new discussion items or reasons one way or the other.

I am sure though that if you try to insult me or my opinions on the subject enough (instead of reasoned arguments) that I would certainly take another look at where I might be wrong.

Every year, year and a half someone posts this same trope about having an OC rally in MA.

I can't think of any way this would go well. Best case you find a town that is sympathetic and the PD lets you do it without causing an issue. Great... now you're in some town in the middle of nowhere and if we're lucky a camera shows up for 10 minutes and maybe a couple newspaper reporters and it ends up being a sidebar in a paper, buried somewhere. Maybe. Maybe its positive to some people, but the masses will ignore it.

Worst case, lets say you go into a moonbat town/big dump city (AKA someplace that it would actually get noticed) and do this unannounced (because the town would never give you permission for it) and next thing you know moonbats are floating around going GUH BUH WUH!!!! PEOPLE HAVE GUNSSSSSZZZ WAAAAAAH" etc. Then some piece of garbage legislation gets filed that amends MGL to prohibit open carry of handguns for anyone but LE and security etc. This BS *might* pass because it costs nothing. POW. Now anyone whose jacket blows open can get arrested, etc. That helped, a lot. Instead of the current situation where someone just gets mild or no harassment.

This state is wired for sound with moonbats at this point. It just elected Lieawatha. Process that for a few minutes, and then think of an OC rally vs that political reality. The result is not good. The only way we seem to win even small things in this state is through use of the judicial system (eg, Comm2A acting in various ways at state and federal court levels) stealth or through legitimate whining at the entry point of the legislative process. Things which go beyond this wake up sheep too much and bad things often get ruminated about. This isn't like marajuana or a referendum to roll back taxes at the liquor store, things which you can get the half moonbats to sign onto. If this state wasn't so rigged and gerrymandered at various levels I might feel differently about this kind of thing. But it's not . It's a dumpster fire that is trying its hardest to become as shitty as states like NY, NJ, CT, and CA are.

-Mike

+1,000,000

After seeing the thread about the "day without immigrants" and "women" and another thread discussing open carry in MA I thought of this possibility.

We pick a day and declare it "Open Carry Day". We could pick a day with some significance (possibly an anniversary of a particular battle in the revolutionary war). The purpose would be to recognize the importance of an armed society.

I think it may actually get people used to seeing other people armed while going about their business, running errands etc. People will see that just having a gun doesn't mean you are going to do something stupid with it. I suppose a positive that could come out of it would be people would become desensitized to seeing an armed person in public.

I understand some people would be nervous about possible legal consequences. Maybe we can contact State police and local LE departments and advise them that people would be open carrying on this particular date, in full cooperation with the MGLs. Bonus if we can get anything in writing from these departments ahead of time stating that they will not take any action if no laws are broken.

Perhaps we could get GOAL or Comm-2A involved.
My original thought would be this would be a MA thing, but I think it would be great if other states could join in.

I figure with all these clowns taking days off of work to March around for all types of ridiculous causes we could just pick a day, throw on your favorite gun, and carry on with your normal activities. All in support of 2A. Another positive that could come out of it is that (pending none of us do anything stupid) there will not be an increase in gun crimes, which would be another pro 2A argument.

So..... Thoughts? Good idea, dumb idea?

I think if the PDs are notified prior to the day and are aware people will be legally carrying in accordance with MGL it could turn out to be a good thing.

I see your from WESTERN Ma. Why dont you take a trip east, to the MOONBAT occupied part of the state, and go visit some local P.D.'s and get their opinion of what you'd like
to do. Just because you can poke a stick in a hornets nest if you want to, doesnt make it a good idea.

The whole point of the over the top gay pride events was to normalize it. As I like to say...
After seeing a guy in assless chaps riding a rainbow colored penis down the street and the world dosnt end

Quite true -- but let's do the unfortunate math...

Massachusetts + Rainbow Colored Penis Rider - Open Carry = Vibrant Expression
Massachusetts + Rainbow Colored Penis Rider + Open Carry = Violent Expression

P.S.> The only thing gayer than the above rainbow colored penis rider would be an open carry day.

I see your from WESTERN Ma. Why dont you take a trip east, to the MOONBAT occupied part of the state, and go visit some local P.D.'s and get their opinion of what you'd like
to do. Just because you can poke a stick in a hornets nest if you want to, doesnt make it a good idea.

I'm not sure if you are aware of this but the entire state is filled with moonbats. We were the ONLY state in the entire country that did not have even one red county this past election, not one. I am well aware that the moonbat to logical person ratio is much worse the further east you go... But I promise you sir, there are a ton of moonbats out here. I would even argue we have the worst of the worst over here. Ever been to Northampton? If not, do yourself a favor and stay away from there! If you have been, you already know what I'm talking about.

I do not open carry. I carry concealed. I am not stupid but it's that attitude that puts us behind. Because we are SO law abiding. We are afraid of our own shadow in this state. IF MY GOAL/NRA/NES/COMM2A BROTHERS WOULD STAND TOGEHTER IN A OPEN CARRY DAY.....IM IN.
Thats all I'm saying, the defeatist attitude SUCKS around here. What else can they take?

Every year, year and a half someone posts this same trope about having an OC rally in MA.

Worst case, lets say you go into a moonbat town/big dump city (AKA someplace that it would actually get noticed) and do this unannounced (because the town would never give you permission for it) and next thing you know moonbats are floating around going GUH BUH WUH!!!! PEOPLE HAVE GUNSSSSSZZZ WAAAAAAH" etc. Then some piece of garbage legislation gets filed that amends MGL to prohibit open carry of handguns for anyone but LE and security etc. This BS *might* pass because it costs nothing. POW. Now anyone whose jacket blows open can get arrested, etc. That helped, a lot. Instead of the current situation where someone just gets mild or no harassment. -Mike

I know what could happen because it has already happened in California. Open carry activists started promoting open carry of unloaded guns, trying to make a statement. In response, the CA state legislature banned open carry. They thought, as you do, that their open carry activism would make things better. It didn't. It made things worse. In my opinion, the same outcome is most likely what would happen here.

Why do I think that the outcome of such an effort would be the same in MA as it was in CA? If you look at the history of gun control legislation in MA and CA, you will find that there are many parallels. What gets proposed there often gets proposed here and vice versa. We both have assault weapons bans. We both have "consumer protection" laws/regulations that restrict what handguns you can buy. In CA and MA, both houses of the legislature are controlled by the Democrats. In both states, the voters are overwhelmingly Democratic. In both states, most voters are anti-gun.

That is what happened in CA and that could also happen here. MA isn't NH or VT or even ME.

- - - Updated - - -

That is exactly what happened in CA. Open carry activists started exercising their fights and freedoms in CA to openly carry unloaded handguns. In response, the CA legislature passed a law taking away that right.

Sometimes it is best to let a sleeping dog lie.

I cannot even begin to agree with these statements more than I already do. Let GOAL, The NRA and Comm2A and others do their work. They have cases in progress now and they certainly do not need any negative attention at this time. I just need my gun rights back. I don't need to let the whole world know I exercise those rights. I hope you have a good rally if you do it but I do not agree with this kind of attention and as they say on Shark Tank..."so for those reasons I'm out."

My previous antigun roommates had no idea you could concealed carry in MA until they asked me to take them to the range and I unholstered.

They thought ARs were illegal too. Healy did as well, until we made her painfully aware and poked the bear. Did we not learn our lesson? Antigun folks make and enforce the laws in MA. The less that know people other than police can carry (openly), the better. Nothing good comes from this. If you want to OC and show off your gun, move. Please don't **** it up for the rest of us in MA more than we already are.

Last edited:
Sad country.....SaD state......AFRAID to do what is LEGAL!
yet illegal immigrants are not illegal.
But........yah

Not afraid, just smart enough to pick winnable battles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's much easier for antis to take rights away from people they view as extremist "gun nuts" than from neighbors, constituents, etc. they know to be calm, rational people. Humanizing yourself to your opponents is a proven conflict management technique. Scaring them by open carrying does not serve that purpose.

Not just unwinnable, but losable. I have little doubt that if I open carried at the Natick Mall or other busy public place, someone would freak the hell out and call the police, reporting hysterically that 'There is a guy with a gun!' And that best case scenario for me personally is that I get deemed 'unsuitable' by my CoP(42! ?) despite having broken no laws. Well, unless causing a Nancy pants-shitter to shit themselves is a crime - I'm sure they can come up with something.

This seems to be one of those issues that gets people very upset because it's perfectly legal, yet terribly ill-advised imo.

As far as the ridiculous analogy between illegals and gun owners, well, when the police and government officials openly state they have a policy to not prosecute gun owners for any violations, then I'll be the guy toting my AR everywhere.

It's much easier for antis to take rights away from people they view as extremist "gun nuts" than from neighbors, constituents, etc. they know to be calm, rational people. Humanizing yourself to your opponents is a proven conflict management technique. Scaring them by open carrying does not serve that purpose.

It's funny because I think in some ways OC is exactly that- showing the rest of the world that we're not running around plugging people. Problem is IMHO in MA the "guh! buh! wuh!" armflap, pant shitter crowd will win out long before logic and reason wins out, because they are way too far detached from reality to understand anything like that... and their population of whiners is growing in this state by the day.

-Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom