• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Old, broken, worthless gun? Get $100 or $200 for it at a buyback in Cambridge on June 12! $50 for ammunition.

Spent casing are considered ammunition right? Go to your club, collect a bunch of casings (preferably steel that can't be reloaded), turn in a few at a time. Take gift card to buy more guns or ammo
If components are ammunition, you should be getting a gift card for each grain of powder?

Spent casing are considered ammunition right? Go to your club, collect a bunch of casings (preferably steel that can't be reloaded), turn in a few at a time. Take gift card to buy more guns or ammo

This is a good use of Berdan primed brass! Unfortunately the gift cards are for a supermarket so all you're gonna get is ammo for your tummy.

Thought 1: I know it's about the symbolism, but you can always say "this card goes into the food budget, so I'll move an equal amount into the gun budget"

Thought 2: I wish I were an FFL, I would totally accept food cards as payment for product.

Thought 3: I'd rather demil a firearm and use it as a theater prop than give it to a "buyback," personally.

The sad part is that some people are going to bring in some very nice World War II bring backs that would bring a lot of money. They're going to think that they did a wonderful thing getting a gift card for a historic weapon worth several hundred dollars.

Lol, likely very few. If you look at most of these buyback table pics, most of the stuff on the table is JUNK. The odd colt python or whatever happens, sure, but that's
more myth than reality.

Lol, likely very few. If you look at most of these buyback table pics, most of the stuff on the table is JUNK. The odd colt python or whatever happens, sure, but that's
more myth than reality.
And when something valuable does show up, it goes right into the cops vehicle.
I know a guy whose brother is a cop in a good size, affluent town, inside 128. He said you would be surprised how many time some nice little old lady calls after her husband dies, and she just wants them out of the house.

And as I said before, you couldn't do a legal transfer without the seller having an LTC which is unlikely in this scenario. And some rando coming up to them offering money for a gun they were turning in is definitely going to make them nervous. They certainly aren't going to follow you to the Assault-Weapons-R-Us store in The Galleria to do an FFL transfer lol

I'm not advocating FOR the plan, but yes, in fact, an FFL can purchase a firearm from a non licensed person while not at his place of business. He can't SELL one away from the shop, but nothing stops him from going to other shops, estate sales, private homes or even street corners. Setting up "shop" on a street corner, sure. Problem. As a practical matter, the FFL would be harassed or even wrongly arrested, but what I said was legal.

Last edited:
He said you would be surprised how many time some nice little old lady calls after her husband dies, and she just wants them out of the house.

You know this got me thinking, it’s too bad there’s no type of advisory or ad and flyer type campaign across the country aimed at the elderly community about this.

Those are people who actually do not understand buybacks or the folks hiding behind them and just want it gone safely or actually do need the money for food or heat, they see police officers there so to them it’s the right thing to do to get rid of it, I wouldn’t hold that against them.

But, if there was some way to alert the elderly community for cases just like that, and let them know they don’t have to wait 6mos or a year for the next buyback to only then receive 50.00, but instead we can put you in touch immediately with an authorized dealer who would be happy to assist you and most likely get you 2,3,5-10x the amount that a buyback would give you.

I wonder if that’s ever been tried. NRA/GOAL/COMM2A etc. if anyone has the resources and assets to get it done it would be them. Just thinking out loud.

You know this got me thinking, it’s too bad there’s no type of advisory or ad and flyer type campaign across the country aimed at the elderly community about this.

Those are people who actually do not understand buybacks or the folks hiding behind them and just want it gone safely or actually do need the money for food or heat, they see police officers there so to them it’s the right thing to do to get rid of it, I wouldn’t hold that against them.

But, if there was some way to alert the elderly community for cases just like that, and let them know they don’t have to wait 6mos or a year for the next buyback to only then receive 50.00, but instead we can put you in touch immediately with an authorized dealer who would be happy to assist you and most likely get you 2,3,5-10x the amount that a buyback would give you.

I wonder if that’s ever been tried. NRA/GOAL/COMM2A etc. if anyone has the resources and assets to get it done it would be them. Just thinking out loud.
that really is a fantastic idea. my first thought, spinning out from yours, would be to reach out to those lawyers who specialize in probate, and help them partner with dealers who won't screw them out of the deal...as written it almost feels predatory, but I have to believe there's a way to do it that both is and comes across as respectful.

Bah, use the free market!

We don't need a lobbying group.
We don't need a public interest program.

What ought to happen is FFLs with nationwide reach place ads in the AARP magazine, etc.

But AARP is a communist front organization,
so that ain't happening.

See the problem with communist front organizations?

that really is a fantastic idea. my first thought, spinning out from yours, would be to reach out to those lawyers who specialize in probate, and help them partner with dealers who won't screw them out of the deal...as written it almost feels predatory, but I have to believe there's a way to do it that both is and comes across as respectful.

Agree 100%. Anyone that would rip off an elderly person just fighting to survive would need a brick upside the head. Would have to be respectful and trustworthy, def not a Call Saul type of dealer.

Agree 100%. Anyone that would rip off an elderly person just fighting to survive would need a brick upside the head. Would have to be respectful and trustworthy, def not a Call Saul type of dealer.
Right. I could see someone making a reasonable side hustle out of it too. There are plenty of similar folks specialized in any kind of collectibles. Show up with a copy of the latest blue book, take a walk through the collection with the survivor. offer a reasonable percentage of estimated value, and/or consign anything particularly special.

The hardest part would be building the relationships with the right people in the local end-of-life industry (for lack of a better term)

And when something valuable does show up, it goes right into the cops vehicle.
I know a guy whose brother is a cop in a good size, affluent town, inside 128. He said you would be surprised how many time some nice little old lady calls after her husband dies, and she just wants them out of the house.

Friend of mine did this, years ago out in CA. He's a detective out there. Old lady calls, "found my dead husband's old gun," my buddy heads over to take possession. I guess turning in unwanted guns to the po-po is a common thing out there. He arrives to find a pristine Luger, so he takes it, then offers to write the old lady a check and give her a bill of sale. She wouldn't take more than $200.

I didn't like the ethics of that, and I still don't. But on the other hand, the old lady was going to give it away for free and would have been just as happy to get nothing. And it definitely beats a buyback.

Well there is that company that you hear running ads on WRKO. I think its something like Cashforguns. or something like that.
They claim to offer a fair price, but they obviously have to turn a profit so I suspect its similar to what you would get if sold it to an FFL who will re-sell it. So they likely offer about half of what the retail price would be, maybe a little less.
Their ads say they will come to your home appraise the guns a write you a check for them. Every time I hear it I can't help but think they are preying on the uneducated, but its better than a buy back. Hell, anything is better than a buy back.

Do you really think the good stuff makes it to those junk tables? Are you that naive?

more myth than reality.

Nope! As One-Eyed Jack said in the last buyback thread that had the same brilliant plan...

you are ruining our day dreaming with facts. Just let us have one thread where we imagine getting great deals on awesome guns in the parking lot of a gun buy back.

Bah, use the free market!

We don't need a lobbying group.
We don't need a public interest program.

What ought to happen is FFLs with nationwide reach place ads in the AARP magazine, etc.

But AARP is a communist front organization,
so that ain't happening.

See the problem with communist front organizations?

AMAC

Association of Mature American Citizens.

Conservatives, not conmunists.

Look on gunbroker sometime and search for parts for a specific firearm. You'll find a kit that has every part except the actual "gun" or serial-numbered part. These are offered by companies that specialize in destroying guns for LE agencies and individuals, probably mostly through these "buy-backs". The gun is signed over to them and in return, they guarantee/demonstrate/provide a destroyed/cut/crushed "firearm". In reality, they strip the gun down to just the frame and cut/crush that. All the rest is technically just wood, plastic, and machined metal parts. Sell on Gunbroker and reap huge profits. It's genius.

GGJJxhK.jpg

🐯

Back
Top Bottom