• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

NYPD Officer NOT Indicted for Chokehold Death of Eric Garner

Cool, you found one where someone refused to let go.

That cop strangled the man to death.

Point I was making was that if done properly, it's not death inducing. You don't keep holding on after someone is out cold...

Don't try to inject logic, it's painful to them. Kind of like a choke hold for the thought process.

WOW ! I can't believe you people have NO RESPECT for the law, which is what I'm reading, I'll pray for you all that if you ever have contact with the police it doesn't turn out bad

To be clear, i either agree or disagree with a particular law. Laws are a system of rules to govern Behavior. I obey some laws and admittedly do not obey other (like speeding), just as the government, who makes the laws, chooses on a daily basis to not obey laws.

When you say NO Respect for the law, you mean the people enforcing and upholding the law, then yes, I have little respect for an organization who would trample every Right I have, with no cause to do so. Perhaps you are correct in stating there are only a small amount who are bad apples, but so long as the "good" apples refuse to stand up and weed out the bad apples, then they are complicit in the illegal activity of the bad apple and should be made an example of.

If the police paradymn is to first and foremost establish authority on the scene rather than to calm things down, there needs to be a change in the paradymn.

I too too have family that are cops. Most I respect, a few are serious **** heads.

You can always who is still butthurt over a speeding ticket, or getting yelled at by a cop when they were a teenager. It's the "Ill show them, I'll pretend to be cool on the Internet" type.

Some friends of mine and I played hookie a few times in high school and got caught a few times, etc. I still remember this one Nashua cop who caught us. He pulled us over, tore into us, told us to "get your ********** a$$3s to school now!", and proceeded to follow us to school. He never came in to "report us". He never followed up with the parents. The next time I saw him, he pointed at me, smiled, and waved, almost like he was keeping an eye on us/me.

[smile]

Cool, you found one where someone refused to let go.

That cop strangled the man to death.

Point I was making was that if done properly, it's not death inducing. You don't keep holding on after someone is out cold...

No, you said it doesn't result in death, only unconsciousness. An example was provided where death did indeed result. This is a goalpost shift.

Last edited:
No, you said it doesn't result in death, only unconsciousness. An example was provided where death did indeed result. This is a goalpost shift.

A properly executed chokehold DOES NOT INDUCE DEATH.

A cop purposely strangling a man to death is something completely ****ing different.

A cop purposely strangling a man to death is something completely ****ing different.

How much training and practice does it take to "properly execute" this magic choke hold? The last time I checked, there is a risk of death and brain damage any time a person loses consciousness due to oxygen deprivation.

http://www.brainandspinalcord.org/traumatic-brain-injury-types/anoxic-brain-injury/index.html
http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/001435.htm
http://www.mountsinai.org/patient-care/health-library/diseases-and-conditions/anoxic-brain-damage

There is NO safe way to "knock someone out" by cutting off their supply of oxygen. NONE. Any person who tells you otherwise is an uneducated buffoon.

Bull. A properly executed chokehold can indeed result in death. Unless you'd like to argue that hanging only results in death if improperly done.

Bull. A properly executed chokehold can indeed result in death. Unless you'd like to argue that hanging only results in death if improperly done.

So every time an MMA competitor applies a rear naked choke properly the other guy dies?

Death no but do you really want to argue that they suffer no brain damage as a result of all that hypoxia?

I suspect that the effect of the repeated impacts on their brain from getting punched, elbowed, and kicked in the head is far, far greater than the effect of hypoxia for a few seconds.

So every time an MMA competitor applies a rear naked choke properly the other guy dies?

Straw man. The stipulation was that a properly applied chokehold CANNOT result in death. That assertion is patently false.

I suspect that the effect of the repeated impacts on their brain from getting punched, elbowed, and kicked in the head is far, far greater than the effect of hypoxia for a few seconds.

I've never seen anyone black out after "a few seconds" but yes, the head impacts likely exacerbate the effects. Just ask Ali now how hard Foreman hits and I bet he can't even remember his brain is so scrambled. Yes, most modern experts tie his Parkinson's to repeated brain trauma.

"Muhammad Ali suffers from Parkinson's syndrome because of injuries to the brain he sustained during his 22-year boxing career, his doctor said Wednesday.During his 61-bout career, the three-time heavyweight champion often boasted that his face was still pretty and unmarred by the head blows landed by Joe Frazier, George Foreman, Leon Spinks, Larry Holmes and others.
Nevertheless, damage was occurring inside, where it was not apparent, according to Dr. Dennis Cope, Ali's physician and director of the training program in general internal medicine at the UCLA Medical Center.
"Our feeling is that Muhammad Ali's condition is 'pugilistic brain syndrome,' caused by injuries to the brain from fighting," Cope said in a telephone interview."

My original point remains: There is no safe way to choke out a person without causing or risking damage to the brain from the deprivation of oxygen.

I've never seen anyone black out after "a few seconds"

My original point remains: There is no safe way to choke out a person without causing or risking damage to the brain from the deprivation of oxygen.

I have. Seen people that were fully aware of what they were doing (passing guard, while still in a guillotine) then went out. It was damn quick!

I don't disagree with you on your point. There is no way to safely choke someone out without absolute assurance of zero risk.

I had a nice long post written, but decided since we have so many MMA experts here that know so much more about chokes than I, it's not worth the effort.

I don't disagree with you on your point. There is no way to safely choke someone out without absolute assurance of zero risk.

Agreed. Of course, most every hands-on technique has some degree of risk.

I had a nice long post written, but decided since we have so many MMA experts here that know so much more about chokes than I, it's not worth the effort.

I don't know if you are referring to me, but in case you are, I know little about MMA and didn't mean to imply otherwise. I've watched UFC on TV, that's about it.

He was executed over cigarettes is as dumb an argument as Jade Helm is a coup of the US...

He resisted a lawful arrest....a dangerous game. He lost. Life goes on, for everyone else. Probably should have made better life choices, maybe exercised a bit. Oh, and not engaged in criminal activities for most of his adult life. He contributed nothing, now he continues to cost society after his death.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

murdered someone and caught on camera. he got off easy. And cops won't stop killing. some of them are pigs already, this is going to get worse.

While what the officer did was unfathomably terrible, the blame partly rests on the politicians and voters who together and in a zeal to kill tobacco products, created confiscatory smoking legislation that greatly contributed to Garners death.

When we vote for legislators and support such aggressive taxation measures, we the voters are just as much part of the problem. We the voters choked this citizen over a cigarette.

murdered someone and caught on camera. he got off easy. And cops won't stop killing. some of them are pigs already, this is going to get worse.

Murder one requires intent to kill. I don't think the officers intended to kill him. They intended to arrest him.

Back
Top Bottom