• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

NYPD Now Has GPS Tracker Firing Devices For Their AR-15's

Quotable quote: ““The NYPD is turning bad science fiction into terrible policing,” said Albert Fox Cahn, the executive director of the Surveillance Technology Oversight Project. “New York deserves real safety, not a knockoff ‘RoboCop.’”

NYC has 500+ license plate scanners in operation already and 10k+ video cams in subway stations alone.

Quotable quote: ““The NYPD is turning bad science fiction into terrible policing,” said Albert Fox Cahn, the executive director of the Surveillance Technology Oversight Project. “New York deserves real safety, not a knockoff ‘RoboCop.’”

NYC has 500+ license plate scanners in operation already and 10k+ video cams in subway stations alone.
LPR's aren't fool proof.

If you want LPRs to EVER go away, it's tech like this that makes it even remotely reasonable. As much as you may hate them, LPRs are significant in tracking someone who needs to be tracked. I won't go into which agencies would almost be completely shut down, but at least one you want to be effective would move decades back in technique. Abusers should go straight to jail, same with NICS or TECS surfers.

LPR's aren't fool proof.

If you want LPRs to EVER go away, it's tech like this that makes it even remotely reasonable. As much as you may hate them, LPRs are significant in tracking someone who needs to be tracked. I won't go into which agencies would almost be completely shut down, but at least one you want to be effective would move decades back in technique. Abusers should go straight to jail, same with NICS or TECS surfers.
So....if I read this correctly, only the guilty need to be worried about them?

And the "abusers" you mention....perhaps they should go straight to jail, but, well....there may be some pushback from the ________________

So....if I read this correctly, only the guilty need to be worried about them?

And the "abusers" you mention....perhaps they should go straight to jail, but, well....there may be some pushback from the ________________
So...um...how do you expect people to find the real evil in our society? Random luck?

I get it, but I doubt you understand just how evil some people are, not in a movie sense, but standing face to face with a psychopath that has killed people.

Coke Can sized projectile? Apple Air Tags have been around for years and they are a lot more discrete than a coke can.

LPR's aren't fool proof.

If the LPR systems are at least as secure from abuse as top secret military intel systems, then I’m less confident this week (the Ukraine Leaks thing).

I understand the utility of tracking low-level criminal risks to catch high-level criminal risks. If catching intel system abusers weren’t hard enough, disclosing catching system abusers is even more difficult, as publicity about abuse of surveillance systems leads to demands for shutdown of operations, when it should only lead to demands for better oversight. So, abuse, if caught, is often dealt with internally in agencies, to avoid throwing out the baby with the bathwater. That’s a Catch 22 for me.

I’m a “Trust, but Verify” sort of guy. Those that monitor systems security need to be the “Trust No One“ sort of guys. But it seems agencies are sometimes too trusting. Or just too busy, under-budgeted, understaffed, etc., and good people doing hard jobs get hung out to dry.

So...um...how do you expect people to find the real evil in our society? Random luck?

I get it, but I doubt you understand just how evil some people are, not in a movie sense, but standing face to face with a psychopath that has killed people.
We do just fine in NH without license plate readers.

Yeah but can you get something to launch air tags that also fits behind retractavble lights
940de7e7-4970-47b3-b427-bfbcf65f0be0.8174b5cbf8792f98017fcf238583ef84.jpeg

My point is, this is how it all starts.

Every infringement of rights, every restriction that the people that are NOT evil have to deal with, was put in place with the same rationale.

Passive monitoring of plates is not all that different from, "Papers, please," on the street, or showing an ID to use a public facility. I mean, if you're not guilty, it's not that big a deal, right?

Seriously?
Do you know what real evil is?
I doubt that you understand that governments have killed far more ordinary citizens and subjects, than your average super evil killers.

It's just more money spent on stupid shit, that will do nothing to stop crime.
Some cop is going to shoot one of these things,hit a person and kill them.
It will take two busts and this article for the criminals to figure out they need to Jack another vehicle to not get caught. Car jackings will probably double.

New Haven, CT spent $85,000 last year for a 1-year StarChase contract.

Coke Can sized projectile? Apple Air Tags have been around for years and they are a lot more discrete than a coke can.
Airtags have minimal internals, no GPS or even LTE, entirely reliant on the crooks being apple users if continuous tracking is needed.

Apparently "StarChase" has an 8-hour battery and actively calculates and transmits position (proobably via cell data networks).

What do they have ? M203 40mm grenade launchers ? Just waitin for some idiot to launch a golden domed one......

Last edited:
My point is, this is how it all starts.

Every infringement of rights, every restriction that the people that are NOT evil have to deal with, was put in place with the same rationale.

Passive monitoring of plates is not all that different from, "Papers, please," on the street, or showing an ID to use a public facility. I mean, if you're not guilty, it's not that big a deal, right?
I'd say it really isn't. In reality, all that data gums up the system. False hits, leads to false information. It'd be better if they had to input the plate, with a warrant, indictment or true bill, then record where the plates hit. Maybe that's the answer?

If you think big .gov cares about you, you're delusional. I'd post that 'ain't got time for that' meme, but I think you get the point.

That’s pretty cool. That grapple is bad ass. I have always stayed away from those can cannons due to concerns of legality. Is that a MA complaint upper?
They are considered signal devices and not considered firearms. At least that’s until the atf changes their minds again. As far as Mass is concerned that lower is still not capable of discharging a round because it fires blanks

LPR's aren't fool proof.

If it exists it will be abused. But a glue on gps tracker used in a direct circumstance is probably the least offensive on the continuum.

Shit like ALPR is way worse. A firee sticky gps thing, requires fair chase/justification at least. .. 🤣

Back
Top Bottom