NRA Instructor

I would like to become an NRA instructor. That said, does anyone know how I can go about doing so?

I would like to become an NRA instructor. That said, does anyone know how I can go about doing so?

If you are in or near MA, call the GOAL office, or visit the web site www.goal.org.

If you are very lucky, you will get Cross-X as one of your instructors. Much as he and I razz each other, I consider him one of the best instructors in the state, maybe even New England.

Alright, It's a little late so I went to the GOAL website and didn't really see much in the way of info on becoming an NRA instructor. Do I need to take a course or a test or something?

The NRA education and training site has info on how to become an NRA certified instructor. You will have to take an instructor course from an NRA Training Counselor - you can find one near you by calling the number on the NRA site. If you're in MA, you will also need to apply to the MA State Police to become a certified instructor.

Last edited:
The NRA education and training site has info on how to become an NRA certified instructor. You will have to take an instructor course from an NRA Training Counselor. If you're in MA, you will also need to apply to the MA State Police to become a certified instructor.

Thanks for the help, that site is helpful. What is required by the State Police? Is it an exam or a background check or something along those lines?

Jon doesn't seem to have any more instructor training classes listed for this year. I don't know if something's missing or he's already working flat out with other courses. I've got a few people here who are interested and am trying to find the time to do the necessary training classes for them. Basically, you need to take a course in training techniques and NRA policies (about 6 hours) and a separate course for each discipline you want to teach. Most people start off getting certified for Home Firearm Safety and Basic Pistol, which take about 15 hours together. I need to find 3 days that I don't already have something else scheduled and that the facilities are available. When I do, I'll post the information in the training section here. Once you complete the training and pass the tests, you then apply to NRA for your certification, after which you can apply to the State Police for certification as a Massachusetts instructor. Feel free to PM me if you've got any questions.

Ken

+1

Cross-X and JGreen are the best.

+2 I took the Instructor's course from them in March. It was by far one of the best courses that I've ever taken.

If you get the chance to take any training from those two, you will be sure to leave that class learning A LOT more than you ever planned on knowing. They are two EXCELLENT instructors.

Call GOAL, who knows...maybe if they can get enough people, they might have another... Then, maybe not. But if you don't call, you'll never know.

The GOAL Foundation will be offering the NRA Instructor Course for Basic Pistol and Home Firearm Safety November 14 - 16, 2008. The BFS Primer for Certified Instructors will also be included as part of the training.

Please drop me an email at jongreen@goal for more info.

+2 I took the Instructor's course from them in March. It was by far one of the best courses that I've ever taken.

If you get the chance to take any training from those two, you will be sure to leave that class learning A LOT more than you ever planned on knowing. They are two EXCELLENT instructors.

Call GOAL, who knows...maybe if they can get enough people, they might have another... Then, maybe not. But if you don't call, you'll never know.

I was in the same class. Best class. John and Darius Rock.

For the State Police Cert. you will need a copy of the NRA Instructor Cert. and $50.00, its a joke, its like taking a "safety course from some of the local PD's" you know, the safety course were you never actually learn safety, just some laws and your good to go...

For the State Police Cert. you will need a copy of the NRA Instructor Cert. and $50.00, its a joke, its like taking a "safety course from some of the local PD's" you know, the safety course were you never actually learn safety, just some laws and your good to go...

Really? I know that some people get their certification and then violate the law by handing out certificates without bothering to teach the class they claim to have taught. That's hardly a problem unique to firearms training or to Massachusetts. If you get your state certification on the basis of being an NRA instructor, you're required by law to teach the full NRA course as designed by the NRA. Regardless of which NRA course that would be, it includes at least 4 hours covering firearm safety, firearms and ammunition parts and operation, description and demonstration of safe firearm operation by the instructor and actual hands-on demonstration by every individual student of the ability to perform those operations. Oh yes, there's also the coverage of the appropriate state and federal laws. Sure, it's not Gunsite 499 or a similar serious defensive shooting course, but is that what you want to force your daughter to take before she's allowed to protect her life?

Ken

I think the process for getting you State Certificate should be a little more than just a copy, $50 and an application..... and police departments in ma dont have to go by NRA standards of teaching, as long as they have a Certified Instructor through MCJTC.
Most of these classes are law relevant and no test no hands on and not to much safety, but who regulates them?

Last edited:
I think the process for getting you State Certificate should be a little more than just a copy, $50 and an application..... and police departments in ma dont have to go by NRA standards of teaching, as long as they have a Certified Instructor through MCJTC.
Most of these classes are law relevant and no test no hands on and not to much safety, but who regulates them?

Personally, I think the state should keep its nose out of my firearms training.

You're correct that the PDs don't have to use NRA standards. The point made above was that IF your State Police certification is done by using your NRA credentials, it applies only while teaching NRA classes.

You're right. Neither PDs or anybody else has to use the NRA standards. Massachusetts law explicitly gives the Colonel of the State Police (not the NRA or the MCJTC) the authority to approve both courses and instructors for Basic Firearm Safety Instruction. Being an NRA instructor is neither necessary to be approved by the state, nor is it a substitute for state approval; it's just the most common approach for those who don't want to go through the work of getting their own course curriculum approved. The courses are required by law to cover the following subjects:
(a) the safe use, handling and storage of firearms;
(b) methods for securing and childproofing firearms;
(c) the applicable laws relating to the possession, transportation and storage of firearms; and
(d) knowledge of operation, potential dangers and basic competency in the ownership and usage of firearms.

Again, I'm not exactly sure what the complaint is. The state requires training in the above topics as the minimum necessary to receive an FID or LTC. Now I'd personally prefer that the state not mandate anything; still, anybody with firearms who doesn't understand these topics will almost certainly end up paying for an attorney to try to get their nuts out of the vice sooner or later. Are any of the approved courses taught by even the best instructor all the training anybody really needs to carry for personal protection? Certainly not IMHO. Neither is 4 days at Gunsite or Frontsite or a long weekend with Rob Pincus, Bill Jeans or any other top instructor.

Ken

Its just the State's way of controling and monitoring what we do, and not to mention the money issue. Alot of the "basic safety " coureses from what I witnessed don't cover some of those topics, and yet they are still approved by the SP

Its just the State's way of controling and monitoring what we do, and not to mention the money issue. Alot of the "basic safety " coureses from what I witnessed don't cover some of those topics, and yet they are still approved by the SP

The courses do; it's the few rip-off instructors who don't.

Ken

The courses do; it's the few rip-off instructors who don't.

Ken

Basically drew, what Ken is saying is that instructors like him and I who don't charge an arm and a leg, teach the course correctly, who make sure our students are not only learning, but having a good time learning and who do our damndest to ensure they don't leave the classroom without knowing what they need to know and don't have anymore questions, work our butts off for the meager amounts as compared to those dinks who charge idiotic amounts for crap time and course content.

Come to think of it Ken....where'd we go wrong? [wink][laugh]

you guys aren't going to like me...[smile]

Isn't the NRA Basic Pistol Course a complete waste of time? The only reason I am aware that people take that course is so they can make a feeble attempt at exercising their 2nd amendment right in this state.

I don't even teach the Basic Pistol Course anymore. Why would someone want to spend 12 hours with Basic Pistol if all they need is Home Firearm Safety for 4 hours?

(Posts like this will not help my rep points [smile])

Isn't the NRA Basic Pistol Course a complete waste of time?

Not for someone who does not have any experience with firearms.

Now, if you have been taught (well I might add) by your Dad, your Mom, older brother/sister, your Uncle (Sam) or someone else who knows what they are doing it might be.

But, if you have never picked up a pistol before, the NRA will teach you and give you the basics to start a safe and fulfilling relationship with firearms.

[/SOAPBOX]

Back
Top Bottom