• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

NRA Instructor

you guys aren't going to like me...[smile]

Isn't the NRA Basic Pistol Course a complete waste of time? The only reason I am aware that people take that course is so they can make a feeble attempt at exercising their 2nd amendment right in this state.

I don't even teach the Basic Pistol Course anymore. Why would someone want to spend 12 hours with Basic Pistol if all they need is Home Firearm Safety for 4 hours?

(Posts like this will not help my rep points [smile])

It depends. It's a decent curriculum for somebody without any experience, but I rarely teach it myself. If somebody just wants to get their ticket punched in order to get their LTC, the Home Firearm Safety class is the quickest way to do that. Afterwards, if they really want to learn pistol, I'd prefer to spend the extra 6+ hours concentrating on the specific areas that they need to learn (or where they need improvement). This assumes, of course that I'm working one-on-one or with 2 or 3 similar students, which tends to be the norm for me. If I were teaching a larger group, where individualization wouldn't be practical, I'll probably fall back on the NRA Basic Pistol. [How's that for faint praise?]

Ken

I took an NRA basic pistol course and thought it was great for someone, like me at the time, with no experience with firearms. It helped that mine was taught to a small group, so we flew through the material. I can't imagine stretching it out to the full 12 hours.

the basic pistol course like FPrice said is great for all beginners, reguardless to who taught them from the beginning, some family members, and I do stress some, only give the beginner their bad habbits if any.... Seen it way to often..... A good instructor can cover the full corric in about 8 hrs incl. range time....

the basic pistol course like FPrice said is great for all beginners, reguardless to who taught them from the beginning, some family members, and I do stress some, only give the beginner their bad habbits if any.... Seen it way to often..... A good instructor can cover the full corric in about 8 hrs incl. range time....

So I guess NRA HQ doesn't know what its talking about when it writes NRA Basic Pistol takes ten hours minimum to complete.

There is a few things I don't completely agree with, when it comes to the NRA.... I have taught the course in 8 hrs and have covered everything, and I do mean everything and even a little more than what was necessary incl. range time, lunch & breaks, and nobody has left wondering or with a blank expression on their face....

The one complaint I received was not enough range time, and that was only because my firearm did not fit the students hand, so having her keep shooting would have bee pointless....

Last edited:
So I guess NRA HQ doesn't know what its talking about when it writes NRA Basic Pistol takes ten hours minimum to complete.

Who knows what their assumptions are in that regarding class size and, umm, preparedness of the participants?

When I took it I was done in little over five hours including a decent amount of range time. But it was only myself and one other guy taking it and he had previous experience, and I had studied by reading so that every little detail wasn't news to me.

I don't feel that the instructor "glossed over" anything or that I would have come away any smarter if more time had been spent. He covered everything in the curriculum, but once a point was understood, he moved on. We did skip lunch and had only a couple short breaks though.

He did offer for me to come back for any parts or all of a future class at no charge if I wanted, and specifically suggested that I come back for some range time with him once I got my own gun, which I did. That was very helpful.

I'm not out to bash or to hurt the NRA in anyway, I just think that they try promote The NRA just as much as they promote gun safety... I'm an NRA member, if your students are sitting there listening to their instructor ramble on about the NRA and its programs, when they can look it up on line, then your not going to have their full attention....

Back
Top Bottom