• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Non Traditional Easter Dinner

It seems that many people have a ham dinner (evening or mid day) as a traditional Easter meal. And I say eat what pleases you.

Just finished a New England boiled dinner with corned beef brisket, potatoes, carrot's, turnip, and cabbage. And to make the veggies even more flavorful threw in a smoked shoulder. Followed by cheese cake with strawberries and whipped cream.

What was on your plate? Swedish meatballs, steam ship rib of roast, pork loin??

Corned Beef is one of my favorites. We had a more traditional Ham and Lamb

I made "Zsa Zsa Gabor's Hungarian Goulash" from Robin Leach's Cookbook of the Rich and Famous.

Years ago, I was sous chef at a well-known (at the time) Hungarian restaurant in Boston and I met Zsa Zsa there once. She came back into the kitchen to meet us and was very nice and gracious.

Great day today:

We had a breakfast of sausage and peppers home fries, spiral ham, eggs, and Mrs. Mannydog’s grilled homemade Portuguese sweetbread.

Then, off to the Church of the Second Amendment till afternoon.

Time outside with my grandson and the dogs.

Couple of IPAs, cigars, and a nap.

Then supper buffet at brother-in-law’s, all kinds of good stuff, they’re great cooks. Flushed out the arteries with a real nice California Zinfanel and Sambuca.

Went to my moms house, we had traditional Portuguese lamb stew, slow cooked in red wine , lard, garlic and onions.
She also made ham for the non lamb eaters.
Haven't had dinner, still stuffed from lunch.

Typical Polish fare- ham, 2 kinds of kielbasa, potatoes, greenbeans and carrots made with saltpork and bacon, broccoli, sweet potatoes, pumpernickel bread. Dessert was icecream cake due to my cousins birthday and kruischickies ( no f'n way I spelled that right and spellcheck only comes up with "chickadee", lol) Anyway theyre polish pasteries kind of like fried dough, except thin and flaky.

Tried Yeungling for the first time. Not bad. Never heard of it until a couple of months ago and thought it was Chinese. Come to find out its from PA and theyre Americas oldest brewery, wtf? Also had some street hockey going on out back with my cousins kids. Not a bad day.

Typical Polish fare- ham, 2 kinds of kielbasa, potatoes, greenbeans and carrots made with saltpork and bacon, broccoli, sweet potatoes, pumpernickel bread. Dessert was icecream cake due to my cousins birthday and kruischickies ( no f'n way I spelled that right and spellcheck only comes up with "chickadee", lol) Anyway theyre polish pasteries kind of like fried dough, except thin and flaky.

Tried Yeungling for the first time. Not bad. Never heard of it until a couple of months ago and thought it was Chinese. Come to find out its from PA and theyre Americas oldest brewery, wtf? Also had some street hockey going on out back with my cousins kids. Not a bad day.
This is very close to what we usually have after egg fights as well. Polish tradition. But for the first time ever since it is school vacation week we took the kids to Isle of Palms, SC so my Easter Dinner was an excellent fried chicken sandwich with Yuengling at Windjammers on the beach. Christ is Risen.

I never even turned the stove or oven on. Everything was done on the grill over charcoal in honor of finally having a nice spring day! Grilled some steak tips and chicken kabobs. Skewers of tomato, mushroom, onions, and peppers were also grilled along with asparagus and acorn squash.

Had an absolutely increadable ham, but aside from that, there were Ribs, Pork bellies, roast chicken, collard greens, rice and beans, yams, and quite honestly the list keeps going from there.

I'm still in a food coma.

( no f'n way I spelled that right and spellcheck only comes up with "chickadee", lol) Anyway theyre polish pasteries kind of like fried dough, except thin and flaky.

It's chrusciki. I had to look it up. Growing up there was a 1st gen. Polish family a few houses down from my grandparents farm. Their son was my age and we hung out a lot. He always called american chop-suey over toast chrusciki's. I never knew why. My whole life until now I thought thats what it was.

We had raviolis, ham, lamb, sausage meatballs and pork in sauce, mashed potatoes, peas with mushrooms and onions, asparagus, rice pilaf, and a salad......no wonder im a plump dude....

Back
Top Bottom