No more private AR 'copycat'' transfers in MA?

any insight on this?

at the bottom of the guidance is this: Application of this Enforcement Notice (individual gun owners):

The Guidance will not be applied to possession, ownership or transfer of an Assault weapon obtained prior to July 20, 2016.

Am I wrong to interpret that to mean that if an individual has one prior they are ok to transfer? Sounds to me like we can transfer if we owned it prior to 7/20

No, they don't have the resources for that. The end game is to end private gun ownership. It's that simple.

Yep and that end will justify whatever means are required to people like Healey. If that means tossing a few good people in prison, so be it. If not, that's fine too.

I wasn't planning on buying a new gun, but all this activity out of the AG's office drove me to pick up a new bolt rifle to hold up a nice scope that I've been sitting on for a while. Thanks, Maura!

I wasn't planning on buying a new gun, but all this activity out of the AG's office drove me to pick up a new bolt rifle to hold up a nice scope that I've been sitting on for a while. Thanks, Maura!
But...but... I heard it in court today right from an assistant AG - the AG does not hate guns. And to think the judge did not sanction him for perjury.

I'm up to 5 brand new ones bought since Maura motivated me on 7/20... and that doesn't include the two lowers that I completed just for her party. [cheers]

Only one of those buys was actually planned. Who says that Ms Maura can't sell guns? [laugh]

Of course I'm broke now and for the foreseeable future... but better safe than sorry. [mg]

That's my point.

You only need one.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm up to 5 brand new ones bought since Maura motivated me on 7/20... and that doesn't include the two lowers that I completed just for her party. [cheers]

Only one of those buys was actually planned. Who says that Ms Maura can't sell guns? [laugh]

Of course I'm broke now and for the foreseeable future... but better safe than sorry. [mg]

Kudos to you. Good job!

I was done buying guns... I had pretty much everything I needed. I haven't made any post 7/20 purchases yet, but once the NH license comes in I'm gonna go hog wild.

I like how rights is "propoganda" whats next cracking down on those who speak out against you. Douche.

It would be helpful for someone to be chronicling, documenting, and time stamping all the FAQ changes since 7/20. That, in itself, would demonstrate abject lunacy.

I called the AG office today, they weren't allowed to give me any legal advice but they said to check the website and go from there, what ever is loaded on site today is current, UGH

It doesn't seem like a very difficult case to me. Put the average MA jury in a box, show them an unsympathetic defendant and a scary black rifle, and read them 131M.

And he says it was legal when he purchased it. Oops, suddenly the case is gonna get a lot of scrutiny, which is not what Maura wants.

I called the AG office today, they weren't allowed to give me any legal advice but they said to check the website and go from there, what ever is loaded on site today is current, UGH

Similarity Test: A weapon is a Copy or Duplicate if its internal functional components are substantially similar in construction and configuration to those of an Enumerated Weapon. Under this test, a weapon is a Copy or Duplicate, for example, if the operating system and firing mechanism of the weapon are based on or otherwise substantially similar to one of the Enumerated Weapons.

Piece I love in this:

Substantially similar? So lets see... Is a BMW substantially similar to a VW Bug? How about a Ferrari? It is vague and subjective.

Interchangeability Test: A weapon is a Copy or Duplicate if it has a receiver that is the same as or interchangeable with the receiver of an Enumerated Weapon. A receiver will be treated as the same as or interchangeable with the receiver on an Enumerated Weapon if it includes or accepts two or more operating components that are the same as or interchangeable with those of an Enumerated Weapon. Such operating components may include, but are not limited to: 1) the trigger assembly; 2) the bolt carrier or bolt carrier group; 3) the charging handle; 4) the extractor or extractor assembly; or 5) the magazine port.

I love this part:

if it includes or accepts two or more operating components that are the same as or interchangeable with those of an Enumerated Weapon. Such operating components may include, but are not limited to:

So you start listing off a list of components of which two or more need to be met... and then you leave it off at 5, but the door open to hundreds more.

Now on the brightside, I am feeling more comfortable with a purchase I have been quessy about.

Now that the initial shock and outrage of the 7/20 decree has dissipated, and as a non-dealer, I agree with this.

But per my post above, if I were a MA gun dealer, I'd feel a lot differently. She has her boot on their collective throats ready to financially destroy the first one who dares to offend her. [thinking]

If the dealers got together she would have nothing.. I congratulate the few that have brought lawsuits. One of them is very close to me and they are now my LGS of choice.

I know they are in a tough position as they make a living with their shop. But I feel like if this happened in a more red state the dealers would have just told the AG to pound sand and that would have been the end of it. I mean she herself said they violated the edict on 7/20 when they all sold ARs etc. Buuuut she will let it slide.... [rolleyes]. She is letting it slide cause she's got nothing.

You really think they are gonna take one single solitary person to court on this? They would lose.. badly. "This is what the law has meant for 22 years... with tons of ATF rulings, case law and precident. But one woman changed it overnight with a mass letter... with no vote, and no debate and no warning. Oh and also no clear clarification or guidance to wtf she was talking about.." -- Do you know how many cases get thrown out? How many cases they bungle that are nearly air tight. They wouldn't touch an actual prosecution on this with a ten foot pole. Give me a break..

Again this only has teeth because we let it.

Last edited:
...This has teeth because our AGO is a megalomaniac.

I don't understand the NESers who are looking at the FAQ and pointing out things like, "possession and transfers between individuals will not be prosecuted" as if Maura made that new law and will adhere to it.

Chamberlain believed Hitler when he said he wouldn't invade Poland. Tyrants lie and then claim altruistic justification for their actions.

I don't understand the NESers who are looking at the FAQ and pointing out things like, "possession and transfers between individuals will not be prosecuted" as if Maura made that new law and will adhere to it.

Chamberlain believed Hitler when he said he wouldn't invade Poland. Tyrants lie and then claim altruistic justification for their actions.

That's the key point and takeaway from all of these threads.

Back
Top Bottom