No more private AR 'copycat'' transfers in MA?

Straight from maura's enforcement notice, at least until she changes her mind.[thinking]

Application of this Enforcement Notice (dealers licensed under G.L. c. 140, § 122):
The Guidance will not be applied to future possession, ownership or transfer of Assault weapons
by dealers, provided that the dealer has written evidence that the weapons were transferred to the
dealer in the Commonwealth prior to July 20, 2016, and provided further that a transfer made
after July 20, 2016, if any, is made to persons or businesses in states where such weapons are
legal.
Application of this Enforcement Notice (individual gun owners):
The Guidance will not be applied to possession, ownership or transfer of an Assault weapon
obtained prior to July 20, 2016.
The AGO reserves the right to alter or amend this guidance.

Similarity Test: A weapon is a Copy or Duplicate if its internal functional components are substantially similar in construction and configuration to those of an Enumerated Weapon. Under this test, a weapon is a Copy or Duplicate, for example, if the operating system and firing mechanism of the weapon are based on or otherwise substantially similar to one of the Enumerated Weapons.

Piece I love in this:

Substantially similar? So lets see... Is a BMW substantially similar to a VW Bug? How about a Ferrari? It is vague and subjective.

Interchangeability Test: A weapon is a Copy or Duplicate if it has a receiver that is the same as or interchangeable with the receiver of an Enumerated Weapon. A receiver will be treated as the same as or interchangeable with the receiver on an Enumerated Weapon if it includes or accepts two or more operating components that are the same as or interchangeable with those of an Enumerated Weapon. Such operating components may include, but are not limited to: 1) the trigger assembly; 2) the bolt carrier or bolt carrier group; 3) the charging handle; 4) the extractor or extractor assembly; or 5) the magazine port.

I love this part:

if it includes or accepts two or more operating components that are the same as or interchangeable with those of an Enumerated Weapon. Such operating components may include, but are not limited to:

So you start listing off a list of components of which two or more need to be met... and then you leave it off at 5, but the door open to hundreds more.

Now on the brightside, I am feeling more comfortable with a purchase I have been quessy about.

So the "features" test is codified in the law. Where can I find Queen Maura's tests in the law?

The Guidance will not be applied to possession, ownership or transfer of an Assault weapon
I would GLADLY accept a transfer of a EBR from someone who doesn't have pricing at full retard level, lol
All of a sudden $700 rifles are now $1400, 1,000 = 2000. Eff that sheet.
images.jpg

Yes, but what is the legal basis behind this statement? I don't recall seeing the 7/20 date in section 131M or anywhere else in the MGLs.

Bingo! This is the basis that makes all of her edicts fall flat on their face on merit (& MGL)!

MGLs are enforceable by law. FAQs are not.

-JR

Why would she need to arrange prosecution? Couldn't any DA do so on their own? There are what, a dozen DAs in MA - none have their own ambitions?

Remember, her edicts are counter to EOPSS guidance. This is what the police use as a standard for gun-related enforcement. Enforcement on the street doesn't change until EOPSS says so. Since the AGO has not responded to EOPSS' request for clarification, EOPSS guidance does not change. As such, the arrest that is required for a charge to get to a DA's desk might not ever happen.

-JR

I was reading the North Carolina Gun law, I thought people up north are supposed to be smarter:

Q: What are the relevant laws regarding Assault Rifles in North Carolina?

A: Assault rifles (the real ones) are select-fire battle rifles available only to military and law enforcement. "Select-fire" means that they can be switched between semi-automatic mode (one shot per trigger pull) and full-automatic (machine gun) or "burst" mode (multiple shots per trigger pull). They are considered to be machine guns by law and are thus illegal for private citizens to own in NC except as regulated by Federal law since 1934.Is that the type of rifle to which you are referring? Or do you mean the non-select-fire cosmetic look-alikes, the so-called "assault weapons?" If so, we were fortunate enough to be able to make the NC legislature understand that so-called "assault weapons" are no different from any other non-select-fire gun, except in appearance. Because of their understanding, there are no state-specific laws governing "assault weapons." There are Federal laws, of course, and there are some local ordinances in Durham and Chapel Hill. The local ordinances were invalidated by a state-wide preemption law, but Durham and Chapel Hill still keep their ordinances on the books to "make a statement."

I would GLADLY accept a transfer of a EBR from someone who doesn't have pricing at full retard level, lol
It's called supply and demand, and the supply just got cut off.

If you sell your house, will you charge the full retard price the market will bear, or a "fair" price based on a "reasonable" markup relative to what you paid? Or are the rules different when it's your money?

If you sell your house, will you charge the full retard price the market will bear, or a "fair" price based on a "reasonable" markup relative to what you paid? Or are the rules different when it's your money?

Great way to put it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Easily said by someone who doesn't have their life tied up in a shop they can lose in an instant and no funds to fight a battle with the AGO. This has teeth because our AGO is a megalomaniac.

I'm pretty sure I addressed that.

As far as a shop goes. They could open a GoFundMe account and get the word out.. they would most assuredly make money on the deal.

Again a few shops have stood up one is very close to me and I will be giving them my business.

As far as a shop goes. They could open a GoFundMe account and get the word out.. they would most assuredly make money on the deal.
Yes, but what happens after a few months when the attorney says "we can accept the deal and consent decree, you can go out of business, but stay a legal gun owner or you can refresh my retainer, we will go to trial, and there is a 50% or so chance an anti-gun judge will find you guilty and render you a federally prohibited person for life"?

I'm pretty sure I addressed that.

Again a few shops have stood up one is very close to me and I will be giving them my business.

You want your life tied to a go fund me account and these guys? Shit, less than half of NES is green and goal begs for membership. I would guess gofundme would raise enough money for you to buy your lawyer a pizza and a hooker.

Pure "Supply And Demand" principles don't work here- because you're assuming that the nostrum of limited supply is legitimate, it's not, its a well sold lie. There is a perception of scarcity but that is not reality. Perhaps it was at times with Obamascare 1/2, and sandy hook, etc.. but the Healyscare gougers aren't letting their stuff go because its actually difficult to replace, they're doing it because there's a lot of idiots out there who are too light in the loafers, and too lazy to know how to work around the system. The solution is kind obvious though regardless, which is "just don't buy it if you think it's overpriced" . In any event whining about it isn't going to get the price to go down.

It all really comes down to "how much do you want to pay for fluff".

-Mike

Last edited:
And likely marked up 50%..

Even a layperson should be able to figure out how to get around that with not too much problem. There are plenty of remotes that will sell a m******* a neutered tavor or whatever, or other ways you can get around that problem. Then again can't always blame the MA stores for going FR... the healyscare shit has caused them to lose a shitload of money, and that isn't going to "just pop up out of the ground."

-Mike

Even a layperson should be able to figure out how to get around that with not too much problem. There are plenty of remotes that will sell a m******* a neutered tavor or whatever, or other ways you can get around that problem. Then again can't always blame the MA stores for going FR... the healyscare shit has caused them to lose a shitload of money, and that isn't going to "just pop up out of the ground."

-Mike

... since m******* is now officially a word in the Oxford English dictionary, does it need to be filtered?

Even a layperson should be able to figure out how to get around that with not too much problem. There are plenty of remotes that will sell a m******* a neutered tavor or whatever, or other ways you can get around that problem.

One issue is if you plan on selling that rifle in the future....If you acquire the rifle through one of the ways your suggesting, then you can't sell it (in MA anyway) until all this bs gets cleared up (years from now if at all...) Still allows you to get/own one which is better than nothing obviously.

But I could be overthinking this or misunderstanding your post.

Last edited:
Pure "Supply And Demand" principles don't work here- because you're assuming that the nostrum of limited supply is legitimate, it's not, its a well sold lie.
The lie is very real - just try to buy an EBR at a MA shop if you think otherwise.

Your claim is like saying prices of pre-86 transferable machine guns is not based on supply and demand principles.

Supply and demand is not based on "what will it cost to replace my inventory", but "what price can I get in today's market given the available supply and customer demand for the product."

One issue is if you plan on selling that rifle in the future....If you acquire the rifle through one of the ways your suggesting, then you can't sell it (in MA anyway) until all this bs gets cleared up (years from now if at all...) Still allows you to get/own one which is better than nothing obviously.

But I could be overthinking this or misunderstanding your post.

Selling stuff shouldn't be on anyone's radar. Also we were talking guns that are still transferable.

The lie is very real - just try to buy an EBR at a MA shop if you think otherwise.

Your claim is like saying prices of pre-86 transferable machine guns is not based on supply and demand principles.

Supply and demand is not based on "what will it cost to replace my inventory", but "what price can I get in today's market given the available supply and customer demand for the product."

Except that a Title 1 AR is not a machinegun.... lol. Also half the gougers are selling stuff that isn't any more or less "illegal" than an AR you could buy on your own with a little legwork. I put illegal in quotes because the entire gougefest is based on some ham hocked belief in the AGs crap.

some ham hocked belief in the AGs crap.
Prices are based on supply and demand.

Are you saying that the AG crap has not changed supply for MA residents or, if it has changed supply, has the law of supply and demand been repealed for EBRs?

Prices are based on supply and demand.

Are you saying that the AG crap has not changed supply for MA residents or, if it has changed supply, has the law of supply and demand been repealed for EBRs?

It has changed supply, for people that are too lazy to look for what they want, sure. I'll concede that. If someone is just a drooling newb that hasn't shopped anywhere else but four seasons or any of the other two or three big shops, then yeah, supply is limited, if they're gonna sit there and whine about their existence. For anyone who knows how to use a telephone that knows how to drive, not so much.

-Mike

Tempted to go 80% and build

I've done some 80% builds back home in Montana. The EasyJig kit works extremely well if you have a drill press, but the press is not required. All you really need is a vice and a router.

I won't comment on legal considerations of an 80% AR build in MA, but I feel like the Authoritarian General could put a very ugly spin on an 80% post-herban build. Refer to the irrational fear of "ghost guns" in CA and other places.

Steve

I've done some 80% builds back home in Montana. The EasyJig kit works extremely well if you have a drill press, but the press is not required. All you really need is a vice and a router.

I won't comment on legal considerations of an 80% AR build in MA, but I feel like the Authoritarian General could put a very ugly spin on an 80% post-herban build. Refer to the irrational fear of "ghost guns" in CA and other places.

Steve

How exactly would anyone know when you built it? i.e., how is it any different from any of the other pre-7/20 lowers we've had for years but haven't FA10'd because we weren't required to?

How exactly would anyone know when you built it? i.e., how is it any different from any of the other pre-7/20 lowers we've had for years but haven't FA10'd because we weren't required to?

My bad, I was not aware that you are not required to FA10 a firearm that you've manufactured. I shouldn't have assumed.

Steve

My bad, I was not aware that you are not required to FA10 a firearm that you've manufactured. I shouldn't have assumed.

Steve

Careful...

In MA:

A "firearm" is "a handgun that can fire, go bang, expel a projectile"

A "rifle" is "a rifle with a barrel longer than 16" and overall length more than (I forget) that can expel a projectile"

A "shotgun" is "a smoothbore shotgun with a barrel longer than 18" and overall length more than (I forget) that can expel a projectile or shot"

Note that an unbuilt AR lower or unbuilt handgun frame are not included in the above.

In MA you are required to FA10 rifles, firearms(handguns), and shotguns (see the definitions above, and the "can go bang" requirement)

You are *not* required to FA10 an unbuilt lower or handgun frame until it can go "bang".

So once you build the rifle, you have to FA10 it like any other rifle. But there's no requirement on unfinished rifles, shotguns, or firearms. (handguns)

Originally Posted by EC1

View attachment 180098

Read that very slowly.... it is saying transfers before 7/20 wont be prosecuted... in now way does it mean a gun transferred pre 7/20 can be transferred to you now... and I know if I were to risk it you'd have to pay me more than double....

Back
Top Bottom