• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

No more private AR 'copycat'' transfers in MA?

so has anyone transferred an AR post 7/20 that was obtained pre 7/20 had any issues? I would think someone would have spoken up by now if they had some issues doing this. I have a spare AR that I want to private sale and 2 different gun shops have told me its legal, 2 others have told me its not. I just don't know what to do at this point
Nobody is going to have issues until something happens that would make a good court case. For example, someone transfers an AR to someone else, and the buyer uses it in a crime. This is all about selective prosecution

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

Lot's have been listed in the classifieds, then deleted as "sold", so I am assuming they have been sold in a FTF. And I haven't heard of any doors being kicked in by JBT's.

I've said it before, if it wasn't for full retard pricing, I would buy and take the risk. But I am optimistic she will get crushed soon, and can wait until then.

Lot's have been listed in the classifieds, then deleted as "sold", so I am assuming they have been sold in a FTF. And I haven't heard of any doors being kicked in by JBT's.

I've said it before, if it wasn't for full retard pricing, I would buy and take the risk. But I am optimistic she will get crushed soon, and can wait until then.

Yup. I'm with you. Only thing holding me back is pricing.

so has anyone transferred an AR post 7/20 that was obtained pre 7/20 had any issues? I would think someone would have spoken up by now if they had some issues doing this. I have a spare AR that I want to private sale and 2 different gun shops have told me its legal, 2 others have told me its not. I just don't know what to do at this point

The "issues" are going to be arrested and charged with multiple felonies. The risk is pretty low and you may win in court, but the AGs obvioisly does not want people transferring ARs.

maybe this was brought up already, and if so I apologize, but what about lowers? since we don't do a MA check as they're not guns, do we need to do an eFA10 or is a bill of sale sufficient? I want to be 100% legal

maybe this was brought up already, and if so I apologize, but what about lowers? since we don't do a MA check as they're not guns, do we need to do an eFA10 or is a bill of sale sufficient? I want to be 100% legal

The Healey dont care. In her FAQ it clearly states a lower is a firearm under the feature clause. One of the biggest nails in the "Buht I'm not making law" coffin IMO.

Reading over the rules. do you think the Sig 556 falls under a "copy cat" gun? It doesn't use any AR parts I can think of aside from your standard AR, buffer tube, grip and mags? Its more AK than AR....

Last edited:
Reading over the rules. do you think the Sig 556 falls under a "copy cat" gun? It doesn't use any AR parts I can think of aside from your standard AR, buffer tube, grip and mags? Its more AK than AR....
Please consult your attorney. No one in this forum is going to appear next to you in court

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Logic would say yes as it was designed to be a completely different rifle from the ground up. But the AG isn't logical, so your 551, 552, 556, Sig SCM, etc. might fail her made up similarities test. Really at this point the AG could claim anything which could fit any AR accessories is an interchangeable whoopdedoo similarity fail totes illegal your going to prison felony.

Depends, is it that time of the month? She seems to amend the guidance on the regular.

This whole thing was (allegedly) a response to the Pulse nightclub shooting in Orlando. What rifle did that dirtbag use? (Hint, it wasn't an AR.)

If "its internal functional components are substantially similar in construction and configuration to those of an" AK, then it fails the Similarity Test of the guidance. What constitutes "substantially similar"? Well therein lies the fun.

Furthermore, if one were to consider the buffer tube, grip and magazine to be "operating components" then it also fails the Interchangeability Test. Examples of "operating components" are given but the actual definition is as clear as "substantially similar".

how is the Sig 556 an AK clone? it's patterned after the Sig 550. AFAIK it's not an AK.

Which was derived from the Sig 441, which was derived from the AK. For the AG's very loose interpretation, it's an AK clone.

- - - Updated - - -

Hey. Let's stop posting and asking about other rifles. They'll only end up added to the hit list.

It's on the list. See any for sale in Mass? The list of OK semiautos is very short.

Wait, so now I can't even get rid of my felony if I wanted to?

no, buying it was the felony, and they got all the evidence the need of that when the FA10 was processed.

The Guidance will not be applied to possession, ownership or transfer of an Assault weapon obtained prior to July 20, 2016.

Damn, and to think of all the neutered AR's I have built. If I had waited for this statement I could have retained the evil features. [wink]

shit, if they're all illegal anyway, i'm putting the evil features back on...... bayonet lugs and flash hiders everywhere!!

Last edited:
shit, if they're all illegal anyway, i'm putting the evil features back on...... bayonet lugs and flash hiders everywhere!!

Well its not illegaler, and she promised not to prosecute pre 7/20's, so I count that as a free pass to let your flappy thing go up. I dont feel the need for a threaded barrel, bayonet lug, or grenade launcher though.

Post 7/20? Honestly not sure if I would risk it or not as I couldn't go to court and point at her worthless word and say "but you promised!"

Do they make fixed 10 round pmags to look like 30 rounders? If they don't, I hope you're not in mass.

no, buying it was the felony, and they got all the evidence the need of that when the FA10 was processed.

You then lose any chance of winning in court, since the rifle is then illegal by the letter of the law, not just illegal by the AG's questionable interpretation.

You then lose any chance of winning in court, since the rifle is then illegal by the letter of the law, not just illegal by the AG's questionable interpretation.

Conversely you can put Maura on the stand via her awb enforcement notice video and quote the "Features dont matter, they do nothing to effect the lethality of the firearm" speech.

We can kick this shut around all day, in the end this'll be upheld by a skumbag and not one of us.

Hey. Let's stop posting and asking about other rifles. They'll only end up added to the hit list.

Great idea! In fact, let's stop talking, or even THINKING about guns entirely because the .gov might use that as an excuse to pass more anti-gun laws. I'm so glad we're not allowing ourselves to be controlled by the Heal-dog's threats.[rolleyes]

Back
Top Bottom