NH Legislature over rides death penalty veto

So they are against the death penalty for murderers but will fight to be able to end the life of a child during pregnancy and up to birth

In NY, if the fetus survives the procedure, its life can be ended. In VA, it can also be ended after birth.

The last time a person was executed in NH was 80 years ago. It changes nothing. This is like the 10th time in the past 15 years it has passed, always being vetoed without a majority override before this time.

Probably good anyways as the only way you could get the death penalty is for murdering a government official, because government has found themselves to be more important than the rest of us.

Why is this such a big issue? I'm not in favor of the death penalty, but don't have a strong opinion about it.

Politicians with nothing useful to offer their constituents always bring out stuff like this to placate them without actually having to do anything that will matter to anyone.

Politicians with nothing useful to offer their constituents always bring out stuff like this to placate them without actually having to do anything that will matter to anyone.
It literally won't matter to anyone -- we have one guy on death row in New Hampshire, and the bill specifically says it's okay to execute him, just nobody after him.

Sucks to be Michael "Stix" Addison today.

Instead of telegraphing to murderers that we're not going to end your sorry lives in a speedy manner and instead give you a cot and 3 squares and health care for the rest of your life I truly believe we should take a page out of the texas approach and create a fast/express lane for the top tier murderers.......fast trial, faster one time appeal then you get the equivalent of the giant bug zapper.

Stop for a moment and think about what has to happen to get someone sentenced to death.

First off, you need a crime sufficiently egregious to warrant the death penalty. Previously in NH, that just happens when a cop, judge, politician, or I believe a rape or kidnapping victim or drug user is killed by someone. There were a couple other wonky ones too. Cop murders happen once every decade in NH, give or take. I don't think a judge has ever been murdered in NH and there have only been four Federal judges killed in office per Wikipedia. Likewise with pols, I don't know of an assassination or assassination attempt in NH history. So let's go with rape then murder of the victim.

A trial in and of itself can last from two days for a three or four witness trial. Something with DNA evidence, expert witnesses, and the whole show lasts weeks. Have you ever watched a trial? I'm not talking about a trial on a movie or TV, I mean a real life trial in court that's open to the public. I've watched a Federal one for negligence and it took a week to get through the entire process. And negligence, in the grand scheme of things, is not complicated. Trials are also exceedingly rare as something like 95% of defendants accept a plea bargain.

Then you need a guilty verdict.

Then you need a separate sentencing jury or some way to ensure that the jury doesn't go off the handle and give ridiculously low or high sentences. Think about NH's political scene: do you seriously think you're going to find 6-12 people who are going to be hounding for a defendant's blood in any capital case? Divide up a 6-person jury into roughly the percentages of the presidential election and you'd have three liberals, two conservatives, and one libertarian. Are those people going to sentence to death?

Then someone requires at least one appeal. To deny someone an appeal, especially in a death sentence, would be a miscarriage of justice. However, yes, this can be expedited, but NH is a small enough state with a tiny state appellate court (in comparison to Mass, NY, TX, etc.).

When you put all this together, the right crime, the right trial, the right juries, the right case where an appeal makes no difference, the result is that capital cases in New England are exceedingly rare. And if something brutal does happen, like say the Boston Marathon bombings, the Feds can always come in and press for the death penalty.

If this is something that happens once every 80 years and if the Feds can probably take care of the situation, why do you need a "giant bug zapper"? The answer is you don't.

Better than them trying to pass more laws.

I wish MA politicians would focus on stupid sh*t every day, it would be better for us. It would be less time they spent raping us.

That I believe is where you and I diverge

Every couple years we have a home invasiion or similar crime against us little people that is sufficiently brutal/clear cut and heinous to warrant swift/sure execution.

Lets remember that the purpose of PUNISHMENT in these cases isnt rehabilitation its RETALIATION that fits the crime in order to serve as a deterrent for future shit bags

I just stated what the old law in NH was. I'm not giving my opinion.

If this is something that happens once every 80 years and if the Feds can probably take care of the situation, why do you need a "giant bug zapper"? The answer is you don't.

How many times in your life have you used a gun to defend yourself? Never? Well I guess you don't need one then. Don't worry if someone kills you and your family the fed can always come deal with it for you.

How many times in your life have you used a gun to defend yourself? Never? Well I guess you don't need one then. Don't worry if someone kills you and your family the fed can always come deal with it for you.

That's not a comparison. My ownership of a gun isn't a burden on taxpayers. I don't need to spend $65k+ a year per corrections officer to own a gun (edit: NH pays corrections trainees $34-40k but those guys obviously aren't guarding death row). I don't need a prison in which to house and use my gun. My ownership of a gun doesn't deprive anyone of their liberty for decades. My ownership of a gun doesn't clog up courts with trials or appeals. I'm not a state that's part of a union and a part of a Federal system - if someone invades my property, there's no one else coming. If Canada invades New Hampshire, the Constitution mandates that the Feds protect the states.

That's all I'm going to post about the death penalty.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not that any of it matters because NH was never going to execute that one guy anyways.

-Mike

Heads on spikes at the village gate was always an effective means of communicating that laws will be enforced here...

I wish MA politicians would focus on stupid sh*t every day, it would be better for us. It would be less time they spent raping us.

I'd much rather see the entire legislative season be like 2 months or less. For everything. Keeps the "idle hands away from the genitals" in the legislature... [rofl]

-Mike

I assume you're saying you voted in favor of the veto over ride?
I voted in favor of the bill the first time, and I voted to override the veto.

That is the small-government, pro-justice, pro-liberty position, and I was not swayed by talk of changing my vote to support the governor.

I'm not sure I agree that there's a pro liberty position to make wrt banning the death penalty for people who have committed the most heinous and final act of robbing others of the most precious liberty they have......

And then to further add insult to injury force taxpayers to fork over their hard earned wages to keep the shit bag alive for the rest of his/her life with no benefit whatsoever to society....

Yea....sorry but there's nothing pro liberty about opposing the death penalty
I'm pretty sure executing someone is more expensive than imprisonment.

Stop for a moment and think about what has to happen to get someone sentenced to death.

First off, you need a crime sufficiently egregious to warrant the death penalty. Previously in NH, that just happens when a cop, judge, politician, or I believe a rape or kidnapping victim or drug user is killed by someone. There were a couple other wonky ones too. Cop murders happen once every decade in NH, give or take. I don't think a judge has ever been murdered in NH and there have only been four Federal judges killed in office per Wikipedia. Likewise with pols, I don't know of an assassination or assassination attempt in NH history. So let's go with rape then murder of the victim.

A trial in and of itself can last from two days for a three or four witness trial. Something with DNA evidence, expert witnesses, and the whole show lasts weeks. Have you ever watched a trial? I'm not talking about a trial on a movie or TV, I mean a real life trial in court that's open to the public. I've watched a Federal one for negligence and it took a week to get through the entire process. And negligence, in the grand scheme of things, is not complicated. Trials are also exceedingly rare as something like 95% of defendants accept a plea bargain.

Then you need a guilty verdict.

Then you need a separate sentencing jury or some way to ensure that the jury doesn't go off the handle and give ridiculously low or high sentences. Think about NH's political scene: do you seriously think you're going to find 6-12 people who are going to be hounding for a defendant's blood in any capital case? Divide up a 6-person jury into roughly the percentages of the presidential election and you'd have three liberals, two conservatives, and one libertarian. Are those people going to sentence to death?

Then someone requires at least one appeal. To deny someone an appeal, especially in a death sentence, would be a miscarriage of justice. However, yes, this can be expedited, but NH is a small enough state with a tiny state appellate court (in comparison to Mass, NY, TX, etc.).

When you put all this together, the right crime, the right trial, the right juries, the right case where an appeal makes no difference, the result is that capital cases in New England are exceedingly rare. And if something brutal does happen, like say the Boston Marathon bombings, the Feds can always come in and press for the death penalty.

I look at it this way, "Why take the option off the table?". As you have said, it's rare and complicated and reserved for the most egregious offences. And history shows that it isn't being used lightly... so it's working the way it should.
So answer this, why remove the option? How has having the option caused any problem? How has having the option resulted in the massive misuse of the death penalty.
We can't predict the future, so how can you assure use that there will never be a need for this? We can only look to the past and see it has not been lightly used.
And you say the Fed would step in if it was bad enough. But your own example of Rape/Murder would never become a Fed case. So now, if some POS rapes, tortures, and brutally murders a 12 year old, we can't even consider the death penalty? That's not justice.

I voted in favor of the bill the first time, and I voted to override the veto.
That is the small-government, pro-justice, pro-liberty position, and I was not swayed by talk of changing my vote to support the governor.
Yea....sorry but there's nothing pro liberty about opposing the death penalty
It's the ultimate pro-liberty liberty statement -- the government does not own your life, and doesn't have the right to take it.

If it is never acceptable for a citizen to kill someone unless that person presents an immediate threat, then it's never okay for the state to execute a prisoner.

I'm pretty sure its not........

I guarantee you that there are those of us in the population that could find a way of executing liberty stealing shitbags for under a dollar......

Hell, I'm pretty sure there are a raft of people that could turn this into a revenue generating event..........not just via traditional/expected means but forcing the shit bags organs to be donated to folks in need post mortem

So expand the ability of an incompetent government to kill its citizens and then incentivize this practice and privatize it. What could go wrong?

Nationally. the number of people executed under death penalty are extremely small but where applied function more or less as designed.
More or less...

Since 1973 dozens of people on death row have been exonerated (Innocence claims 165, not counting the guilty who had sentences commuted due to procedural errors, mental capacity, etc). Sometimes, especially in Texas, this came a little too late.

Until a time where there are never any innocent people convicted, there should not be a death penalty.

And there definitely shouldn’t be a death penalty exclusively for murdering only a specific class of people. The notion someone’s life, based on their profession, it worth more than others, is asinine and perverse.

So expand the ability of an incompetent government to kill its citizens and then incentivize this practice and privatize it. What could go wrong?

NH has had a death penalty that only applied to the most severe/certain types of murders for nearly 100 years

So your argument doesnt really hold water.

Nationally. the number of people executed under death penalty are extremely small but where applied function more or less as designed.

jpk is correct as far as NH goes. We don't need to look at the mistakes of other states, this is a NH bill and it's about NH. Just as I don't like it when people cite CA or MA as a reason to do something in NH, I see no reason to base what NH does on other states that are messing it up, especially when we have a clear history of how it's worked in NH to look at.

Some shit bag breaks into my home, kills my critters/family etc and is on camera doing it.......you tell me how execution isnt THE punishment that best fits the crime?

This is why decisions shouldn’t be made based on emotion.

What about when some shitbag breaks into your house and slaughters your whole family and it isn’t on camera, but he’s caught and convicted? Still should be executed, no? That’s fair. It has to be. It’s the exact same scenario. The exact same standard of guilt has been met.

Except it’s not quite so fair when years after his execution it’s discovered they caught the wrong guy.

Is the death penalty sometimes warranted, and absolutely the correct punishment for the crime? IMO, yes. Most definitely. But there is no way to implement one and be 100% correct. And it does not matter what stipulations, it doesn’t matter how specific, it doesn’t matter which additional requirements of proof. It wouldn’t be infallible. And innocent people will be unjustly executed. There’s no retribution for that. And as little as it might be for someone innocent who’s spend decades in prison, at least there’s something.

Back
Top Bottom