NH Alert: SB116. Still on the Gov's desk. ***Vetoed***

That Communist Bitch is banking on people agreeing to and going along with option 2. DON'T GIVE HER AN INCH!!!!!

Not that I like her, but that kind of language doesn't endear anyone to our cause, I'd bet dollars to doughnuts she has people that keep an eye on this forum. Lets wait until she actually violates the constitution before going off the deep end.

Not that I like her, but that kind of language doesn't endear anyone to our cause, I'd bet dollars to doughnuts she has people that keep an eye on this forum. Lets wait until she actually violates the constitution before going off the deep end.

I can assure you they are watching. In fact there is an article that references this very thread (though not by direct link, it quotes someone who posted).

If she vetoed it, she would have sent it back to the SOS for logging so that there could be no playing with, "How do we know when she really vetoed it?" Paper trails are extremely important when dealing with this kind of stuff.

SOS offices would have been closed. We'll find out today what's what.

Did they say anything about the current status of the bill?

I asked about a few different bills (as long as I was calling). First one I asked about was SB106 (synthetic drug sales). Nice woman on the phone looked through stuff... Said it was on the Governor's Desk. I asked when it was delivered to her desk, she said June 29.
I asked about SB116. She immediately said on the Governor's Desk. I asked when it was delivered, she immediately said June 29. No looking. No delays.
I asked about SB179 (Voter registration), she looked for some stuff, said it was on the Senate Presidents Desk. I didn't ask since when.
I asked about HB476 (Medical conditions for medical MJ), she looked for some stuff, said it was on the Governor's desk. Delivered the 29th.
I asked about HB681 (Marriage License Fees) she looked for some stuff, said it was on the Senate President's desk.

I asked about a few different bills (as long as I was calling). First one I asked about was SB106 (synthetic drug sales). Nice woman on the phone looked through stuff... Said it was on the Governor's Desk. I asked when it was delivered to her desk, she said June 29.
I asked about SB116. She immediately said on the Governor's Desk. I asked when it was delivered, she immediately said June 29. No looking. No delays.
I asked about SB179 (Voter registration), she looked for some stuff, said it was on the Senate Presidents Desk. I didn't ask since when.
I asked about HB476 (Medical conditions for medical MJ), she looked for some stuff, said it was on the Governor's desk. Delivered the 29th.
I asked about HB681 (Marriage License Fees) she looked for some stuff, said it was on the Senate President's desk.

News is breaking now about SB106 being signed.

Not sure if she signed it today or over the weekend. Her twitter also has a nice little photo op of her signing it with some people.

She also just issued a statement on her signing of SB106.

It looks like she'll be making moves on the bills put on her desk on the 29th today.

We'll see what happens.

Hey guys, stop arguing. We don't know for sure when the time is up. Keep calling. Ask the gentleman who answers to tell Maggie to pass this bill than ends racisim and sexism regarding conceal license in NH. You can also mention you are not happy about the games that appear to be played with the bill while on her desk.

KEEP CALLING. 603-271-2121

Called, again, and Peter pushed me over to Benjamin (who wasn't there). Left a voice message voicing my support for the bill and asked for an update.

Constitutionally/Legally speaking it doesnt matter whether or not the SOS offices were open or not

The NH Constitution allows for 5 days not including Sunday

Today is day 6

Hassan signed SB106 today but legally speaking it became law on Sat since she had taken no action on it.

Same with SB116.....it was put onto her desk on 6/29 same day as SB106

Folks should call the NH SOS and make a stink about them failing to abide with transparent government and failing to post information on their website regarding WHEN they put a bill on the Gov's desk

SOS Gardner's number is 603-271-3242

Doesn't matter right now. Trust me on that.

Focus efforts on calling the governors office. No need to direct attention to SoS at this time. Get your family and friends involved one last time.

Both my wife and I called. The woman sort of laughed when I said I was calling to urge the governor to sign SB116. I hope they are taking us seriously!

Just came down off of Mt Major, called on the way home. Had my 6 yr old ask the Governor to sign the bill as well, since we were on speaker phone in the truck thanks to that new law.[thinking]

Probably because they know it's either already law or it's been vetoed but unannounced.

Maybe. But since she tweeted out that she signed SB106, I would think that she would also tweet out that she vetoed SB116.

So I'm thinking either that didn't happen yet, or she is going to let it pass without signing it, in which case we shouldn't expect an announcement from her.

I just called SOS 603 271 3242, And asked about the on the desk date for SB116, I was told it was on her desk June 29. I questioned about the holiday/Sunday. I was told that Friday was the observed holiday, and Saturday was the actual holiday. I said that I did not agree with this interpretation, and was told that a "ruling" was made on this decision. Karen called me back and is sending me a copy of an "opinion" of either the Supreme Court or the Attorney General of how this "Holiday" situation is to be or has been dealt with.
Bottom line is that today is the due back date, either signed into law, vetoed, or no signature, it is due back and we should all know soon. Now with this "Opinion" that is another matter of discussion/investigation.

I just called SOS 603 271 3242, And asked about the on the desk date for SB116, I was told it was on her desk June 29. I questioned about the holiday/Sunday. I was told that Friday was the observed holiday, and Saturday was the actual holiday. I said that I did not agree with this interpretation, and was told that a "ruling" was made on this decision. Karen called me back and is sending me a copy of an "opinion" of either the Supreme Court or the Attorney General of how this "Holiday" situation is to be or has been dealt with.
Bottom line is that today is the due back date, either signed into law, vetoed, or no signature, it is due back and we should all know soon. Now with this "Opinion" that is another matter of discussion/investigation.

THE FINAL ACCEPTANCE OR REJECTION OF A BILL

If the legislature has not adjourned, the Governor has five days in which to sign the bill, veto the bill, or allow the measure to pass without signature. When the bill is signed, it becomes law; if it is neither signed nor vetoed, it becomes law without signature.

If the bill is vetoed, it returns to the body where it originated, with a veto message. This veto, to be overturned, must have a two-thirds roll call vote in each body. It then becomes law without the Governor’s signature. Without the two-thirds affirmative vote in both bodies, the veto is upheld.

If the Legislature has adjourned, the Governor has five days (excluding Sundays and holidays) in which to sign the bill. If it is not signed, the bill dies. This is the "pocket veto." Each bill carries in its final paragraphs the specific date that it is to go into effect.

From https://www.nh.gov/nhinfo/bills.html

Haven't found case law yet, and also that only corresponds to pocket veto which is not in play here.

So, if the 29th itself does not count toward the five days, today would be the fourth day.

Or does the 29th count as Day 1?

Basically, could we be waiting until tomorrow night to find out what happens with this?

3. The constitutional provision (Pt. II, Art. 44) affording the Governor five days to consider bills passed by both houses implies that approval given after adjournment must be manifested within five days after the day of presentation of the bills to him, and in computing the five-day period, the day of presentation is to be counted, while Sundays as well as legal holidays are to be excepted.

Isn't the legal holiday exemption in conflict with the NH State Constitution?

Back
Top Bottom