• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Next Step Up From M&P Sport?

My friend bought a discount LPK from PSA , their PTAC line. It works but feels like dragging sandpaper.
The upper is a PTAC special it has ran and shoots ok but there is something cheap and gritty about it.

Anything with a carbon upper.

Ugh.

After reading all this I think I'll buy the Ruger AR 556. I figure any upgrades I make I can transfer to a new build if I feel my needs are no longer met with the Ruger. Then I'll have a stock AR for family members to shoot or just to add to the eventual gun hoard. Anyone know a good dealer with the Ruger in stock in mass?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Last edited:
After reading all this I think I'll buy the Ruger AR 556. I figure any upgrades I make I can transfer to a new build if I feel my needs are no longer met with the Ruger. Then I'll have a stock AR for family members to shoot or just to add to the eventual gun hoard. Anyone know a good dealer with the Ruger in stock in mass?

Four Seasons in Woburn lists them as in stock for $599.95 on their website.

Ok...so I caved and ordered a BCM complete upper today. Looking to make this my only AR, at least for the foreseeable future, simply because I prefer to sleep in the house instead of under it. Initially I was thinking of buying a complete lower and slapping the two together, but now I think I want to build the lower myself. As I'd like to keep it fairly high end, are there brands you recommend I look for to keep it that way? I don't think I'm ready for Gisselle triggers just yet, but looking for ideas on the components. I've heard that the Magpul STR stock kit and elf trigger are a couple of things I should look at. Any others? Thanks!

Hunters in Weymouth. $650 for both M&P and Ruger ---->> they are having 10% off on Friday and Saturday <---

so, pick up either for $558 or so. if You are in Hanson, better than driving to the north shore and waiting in line.

- - - Updated - - -

sorry, $585 or so. my bad.

Thanks, I'll have to stop in there. I haven't been in there yet either so that will be a good excuse to check out another shop.

Really can't praise the Rock River 2 stage enough if you're going to skip a crazy high end trigger off the bat.

For the price the RRA NM is tough to beat. Currently on sale for $62 too. I would compare the break to Geissele's SSA but not quite as refined. For almost 1/4 the price I have a tough time justifying the Geissele triggers unless you have the cash to spend. In that upper price range I would buy the LaRue.

Well...now that the Gisselle sale is on, I was thinking of grabbing the G2S

I got 3 g2s triggers but had to send one back to geissele because it was gritty. They sent me a new one will lots of extras. I think they are 30 percent off at PA right now. Also have an ACT from alg that's not bad either for 50ish bucks

RRA two stage national match, Daniel defense lower parts kit, BCM gunfighter stock assembly. Pmags or Hexmags, unless you live in the land of the cream pie.

There's nothing wrong with the M&P! Back in the day these style guns never had forward assists or dust covers. You can still assist it forward easily enough with the scallop in the M&P and unless you plan on crawling around some desert here in the northeast then you shouldn't need a dust cover. Just like all the other guns ever built. That said if you must buy a mid level AR get a Windham or Stag. Good luck.

I've had to use a FA a few times and without it you're pretty much screwed dealing with certain malfunctions. There's a reason it was added. If you're gonna put 100rds a year through it other than it being a safe queen and you don't mind a simple malfunction like a FTE or FTF ending your day at the range, by all means don't spend the $50 more to buy a gun with a FA.

RRA two stage national match, Daniel defense lower parts kit, BCM gunfighter stock assembly. Pmags or Hexmags, unless you live in the land of the cream pie.

Thanks, Frenchman. Thoughts on a lower? I've been looking at the Spikes stuff.

For the price the RRA NM is tough to beat. Currently on sale for $62 too. I would compare the break to Geissele's SSA but not quite as refined. For almost 1/4 the price I have a tough time justifying the Geissele triggers unless you have the cash to spend. In that upper price range I would buy the LaRue.

SSA is $154 at Primary Arms right now.

- - - Updated - - -

BCM lower, man, come on. :)

Next Step Up From M&amp;P Sport?

$154 for the SSA is a good deal.

What you will find with lowers are that Cerroforge forges about half of them and two other forges do just about the rest. They send the lowers to Spikes, BCM, etc. who the put finishing, hard coat, and markings on them. What that means is the difference between something like an Anderson lower and a Spikes or AeroPrecision is the fit and finish and how good the hard coat is. Type III hard coat is mil spec and many if not most companies do not specify what their hard coat is. They vary greatly.

With all that being said, Spikes, Aero, BCM all have similar finished lowers.

I would be tempted to go with a BCM lower just to KISS.

Honestly? I don't think it matters, as long as you're looking for a mil spec. They're all from the same manufacturers, like Cero forge. It's the trigger assembly that will make it or break it. If you're like me, and not that picky about little imperfections, go with a BCM blemish (if they even do blem sales on lowers). Chances are you'll get the same lower from Spike's, BCM, PSA, and what not. Either AP or Cero.

Honestly? I don't think it matters, as long as you're looking for a mil spec. They're all from the same manufacturers, like Cero forge. It's the trigger assembly that will make it or break it. If you're like me, and not that picky about little imperfections, go with a BCM blemish (if they even do blem sales on lowers). Chances are you'll get the same lower from Spike's, BCM, PSA, and what not. Either AP or Cero.

Rainier has BCM blemished complete lowers but out of stock. Price was $293 a week ago.

http://www.rainierarms.com/bcm-cosmo-lower-group-w-mod-0-stock-black

Unblemished lower is $355 right now, that's a great price with the BCM Gunfighter stock included.

Spikes complete lower for $215 on their website. Worth grabbing? I ordered a the RRA trigger that was recommended. Not sure how I feel about the stock, but I figure I can always upgrade that later....

$215 is perfectly fine unless you snag a BF deal.
Figure the lower is $100, buffer tube ass'y is $50, LPK is $50. Those are all minimum prices. I would say $2-300 for a name brand complete lower is just fine. That stock is pretty close to the standard issue mil spec stock too.

Back
Top Bottom