Next Step Up From M&P Sport?

My only long guns are a shotgun and bolt action .22 so it's time to add the SHTF AR-15. It'll be my first and probably only AR so I want something reliable and practical that I can practice shooting at the range once a month and then put away and know it's there for me if I ever NEED it. I'm buying peace of mind more than anything. I don't see benchrest, 3-gun or any competitive shooting in my future. I've done a lot of internet research but I've hit the analysis paralysis stage.
I'm sure the M&P sport is a fantastic rifle but I know it's built to a price point so I'm wondering what the next "no-brainer" step-up is. In automotive terms, if the Sport is the Corolla then I want the Camry. I'm not looking to pinch pennies but I don't want to pay for 1/4" MOA. I just want a good value, full features and reliability I can have confidence in. I know a lot of guys will say "build it" and I'm capable of assembling a rifle but I want to avoid the endless hours of researching and potential compatibility problems. I just want to buy a brand new complete rifle that the manufacturer tested the crap out of and comes with a warranty. Throw your suggestions out for me. Thanks in advance.

buy a BCM upper and assemble the lower. OR just buy the corolla. MP Sport is a fine firearm at the "corolla/camry" price point

Last edited:
Well, Knicks has a good suggestion, I bought a BCM upper a while back. Great quality. But if you don't want to build out a lower and just want to buy the next tier up in AR's there is a lot to choose from. Take a look at Windham Weaponry and Stag Arms. Both make a quality mid priced AR. I have a Windham and its been great.

Are there any particular LGS I should be watching for said deals?

Also, is there a "standard" list of manufacturers for good complete rifles? I get that we should be building our own rifles using top quality components, but for those of us without the aptitude/interest in building and who want a warranty, what should we be looking for?

Salyeica, If you are in MA there is always 4 Seasons in Woburn, go there if you know what you want and call to confirm that they have it. They usually have a pretty good selection of AR's available. There is a link on here somewhere with a list of LGS's.

If you really want to get into AR's I would check out ar15.com I found a ton of good information there.

Last edited:
buy a BCM upper and assemble the lower.

Rainier Arms has BCM blemished complete lowers with BCM Gunfighter stock for $298 shipped this week. Combine that with (hopefully) a BCM upper deal around Black Friday and you'll have a top notch AR for around $1100.

I see crazy cheap deals on Colts right now too, like $700 range for a 6920.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm selling my slightly used bcm build if you're interested. It's a great rifle

This is a killer deal, bail out poor mursenary. I have a similar BCM already or I'd jump on it.

Are there any particular LGS I should be watching for said deals?

Also, is there a "standard" list of manufacturers for good complete rifles? I get that we should be building our own rifles using top quality components, but for those of us without the aptitude/interest in building and who want a warranty, what should we be looking for?

Sites like m4carbine and ar15 seem to agree on Colt, BCM, LMT as the top recommendations. Doesn't necessarily mean they're the best, but for the price and reputation you can't go wrong here. There are also lots of great smaller manufacturers, too many to list.

I wouldn't go to Four Seasons, they only sell neutered MA models. Go to Northeast Arms, Pullman Arms, The Armory. Those guys will fix you up with something much better since they are or have available gunsmiths to make any model compliant.

build it. that's the best part

edit; OK i just reread the OP and sounds like you want off the shelf. i would never suggest a Camry, the car that says to me, i'd rather not drive at all, but if I must, let me drive bad and go as unnoticed as possible lol. Lets's say Ford Mustang or even Mitsubishi anything... Check out Stag Arms. I really like their stuff at a mid price point.

Last edited:
What's the consensus on LMT? Not cheap, but the reviews are decent. Looking at a used one.

My buddy has an LMT 308 and it rocks. I know they are hand built by one person in the factory and are reported to be "higher end" ARs...wish I knew more but I think they are likely really good for the money.

If it were me I'd go for the Ruger 5.56 over the m&p sport. It's a little nicer for the same price. I ended u getting a great deal on a new Colt MT6400 which is a factory MA compliant LE6920 for only $750 last winter. I don't think those are available anymore.

Another Windham Weaponry vote, had mine for a few years and no problems. I even like the monthly newsletter they send out too [laugh]

If you're going for an off the shelf "M4" style AR15, I'd add the Sig Sauer M400 to the list of possibilities. I picked one up a while back at Atlantic Tactical for a great price. It's been a great shooter.

As others already mentioned, you can't go wrong with either a Bushmaster or Windham Weaponry AR. You can probably find a used one in the $750-$800 range.

BCM occasionaly has blem uppers also. If they do now along with these blem lowers you could get one under a grand.

Rainier Arms has BCM blemished complete lowers with BCM Gunfighter stock for $298 shipped this week. Combine that with (hopefully) a BCM upper deal around Black Friday and you'll have a top notch AR for around $1100.

I see crazy cheap deals on Colts right now too, like $700 range for a 6920.

- - - Updated - - -

This is a killer deal, bail out poor mursenary. I have a similar BCM already or I'd jump on it.

Back
Top Bottom