Newbie question: OK to chamber a round, drop magazine and readd round?

I have a newbie question that I hope you all can answer.

Is it a problem for me to fully load my SIG P226 by chambering a round, decocking the gun, dropping the magazine to add a round to the magazine, then reinserting the magazine?

How about carrying the gun without a round in the chamber? I read somewhere about 1911's not liking to be carried this way because the firing pin needs to rest on something but haven't read any such thing about the SIG.

Just trying to learn as much about how to carry my gun since no one really teaches you how to safely carry every gun (lots of videos about 1911's and the various condition types).

Only issue I find with my Sig 229 with 10round mags is that the springs are so tight that it takes a lot of care & attention to ensure the (now full) magazine seats. Early on I had a couple of times at IDPA practice having a click instead of a bang on the second round fired because the mag wasn't seated properly.

As a general rule, you should always carry it chambered or "cocked and locked". Carrying otherwise just gives you something extra to think about if you ever have to react quickly. For a new gun owner, this can be intimidating at first. I would not recommend doing it until you have broken in your holster and are 100% confident in your knowledge of your weapon and its operation. Breaking in a holster is important especially with a 1911 style firearm because I have heard of cases where a new holster can actually catch the saftey and disengage it. Some people carry unloaded but "cocked" for a couple of weeks just to see if an AD happens. Sometimes this practice can build your confidence. Its all about how comfortable you feel.

As far as your other question, I assume you are asking if it is legal to carry 11 in a handgun in MA as long as there are only 10 in the mag. I'll wait for the official legal answer rather than give you my answer.

That's the way I always carry also. 1911's cocked and locked for me or nothing in the chamber if you are uncomfortable ( pulling the trigger and lowering the hammer and hoping it doesn't slip and go bang isn't for me) and your sig if it has a decocker then you should be fine since it was designed for that purpose. .

Is it a problem for me to fully load my SIG P226 by chambering a round, decocking the gun, dropping the magazine to add a round to the magazine, then reinserting the magazine?

This is the proper way to get the maximum use out of your Sig - you're doing it right.

There are no legal issues at all assuming you hold the proper license. (class A No Restrictions)

Thanks everyone for the quick replies. I feel better now that I am doing the right thing. I have been wanting to carry with a round chambered since the gun is double action/single action and therefore would discharge with a very firm first pull of the trigger. Cool!

p.s. This is CT where as far as I know there are no magazine size limits. I have 18 rounds of JHP in the magazine plus 1 in the chamber. :)

How about carrying the gun without a round in the chamber? I read somewhere about 1911's not liking to be carried this way because the firing pin needs to rest on something but haven't read any such thing about the SIG.

Just trying to learn as much about how to carry my gun since no one really teaches you how to safely carry every gun (lots of videos about 1911's and the various condition types).

The only thing I'd add is after you chamber a round, put the gun into a holster to do the magazine topoff. Less chance of an AD/ND if the trigger is covered. Take it for what it's worth.

Yes, you have it correct. Decock and top off. The Sig 226 has a firing pin lock so it won't move without a trigger pull. Likewise, it has a hammer lock so the hammer won't travel forward either without a trigger pull.

You don't want to keep reloading that same round though repeatedly. Eventually it will shift the bullet's seating. Someone can probably explain it better than me but you want to use a fresh round every few loads. Take that "loaded many times" round to the range and shoot it.

http://www.sigsaueracademy.com/ will teach you everything you ever wanted to know and more!

Last edited:

Sorry, I got in to late:FWIW: It’s generally considered good form to holster the firearm while topping off your magazine rather than putting it down.

Respectfully,
jkelly

Last edited:
I always top off my 1911 before I insert it into the holster. Since I usually do this either at the range where there is a bench to set the firearm on pointing down range, or at home where no one can see me (pointed in a safe direction of course) I don't really care about "form." And, cocked and locked is the only way to carry. Unless you have a decocker on your gun, then you can get away with just "locked."

For what it's worth .................from a safety aspect a 1911 should never be holstered with a round in the chamber(cocked and locked). REASON: safety's can fail, or can be accidentally switched off with out knowing, while attempting to pull said gun from holster user may inadvertantly put finger on trigger and tug gun from holster hence shooting the wrong target. It doesn't take more than a second to rack a round into the chamber when and only when needed. A Sig on the other hand has a decocker and can be carried in a little safer condition (but that depends on the user) Also do rotate the round you chamber so the bullet doesn't get pushed into the case causing extreme pressures when fired.

For what it's worth .................from a safety aspect a 1911 should never be holstered with a round in the chamber(cocked and locked). REASON: safety's can fail, or can be accidentally switched off with out knowing, while attempting to pull said gun from holster user may inadvertantly put finger on trigger and tug gun from holster hence shooting the wrong target. It doesn't take more than a second to rack a round into the chamber when and only when needed. A Sig on the other hand has a decocker and can be carried in a little safer condition (but that depends on the user) Also do rotate the round you chamber so the bullet doesn't get pushed into the case causing extreme pressures when fired.

For what it is worth an instructor shouldn't be spreading absolute crap like that around. A gun is more dangerous with out a round in the chamber than with one. An assailant can close 21 feet and stab you in under 3 seconds. If you are going to carry a gun with an empty chamber you should just carry it empty because at least then when it get taken away from you while you are racking the slide then the bad guy will have to go find ammo to load it with before he hurts other people after beating you to death with your empty gun. If the mag is loaded he can shoot you and then go kill a bunch of other people with your gun. A good part of that scenario is tongue in cheek but I think the point is clear.

As far as jerking the gun and firing it on the draw. 1. Any good instructor would teach better trigger discipline than that. 2. A good quality holster covers the trigger as you are drawing, naturally locating your finger safely off the trigger as you bring the gun up on target.

Also to address the safeties failing aspect. 1. The rules of gun safety are there for a reason. 2. By your logic any gun shouldn't be carried with a round in the chamber.

Please re-evaluate your thoughts on these matters before your advice gets somebody killed.[rolleyes]

Last edited:

They carried them "cocked and locked" in the military for 74 years and no one had the problems you suggest. It takes me longer than 1 second to rack the slide after pulling the gun from the holster AND bring the gun on target with a two hand grip. Unless you advocate shooting one handed. Which is wrong unless you have no choice.
Also if you have to "tug" a gun from the holster you are wearing the wrong holster.

If your gonna play the "safeties can fail card" so can decockers. They are both are mechanical devices. While it is less likely that a decocker will fail after you have decocked the gun, they can still fail.

I always rotate the round after several chamberings.

Last edited:
To the OP, if you're going to carry with a full magazine plus one in the chamber, that would be the correct way to do it. Dropping a live round in the chamber and letting the slide close on it is bad for the extractor. I don't do this because it can create a reliability issue, as twortley said above.

I won't answer the "should I carry a round in the chamber" question aside from this: it is safe to do so with any quality modern gun, and I wouldn't carry any other way.

You don't want to keep reloading that same round though repeatedly. Eventually it will shift the bullet's seating. Someone can probably explain it better than me but you want to use a fresh round every few loads. Take that "loaded many times" round to the range and shoot it.

One more reason to keep guns loaded. [grin]

For the OP - yes, thats how most of us carry. i always carry +1 in my glock, but when i started carrying, i would carry empty chamber until i got comfortable carrying loaded.

@FSA - that is the worst advice i have ever heard

A 1911 was built to be carried Cocked & locked. A personal defense pistol better be cocked & locked - or the specific gun's equivalent. Proper handling prevents negligent discharges.

Unless one subscribes to the Barney Fife school of carry : Revolver , unloaded , ammo ( 1 round ) in buttoned shirt pocket.

Leave the safety on the gun , finger off the trigger until weapon is pointed at target. Use a good holster.

Hey!
Be carefull what you say on the internet, people are stupid, and might actually think you're right!

Not to pig pile on the instructor but I also don't agree with his/her recommended approach. Safety starts with one's brain and their booger hook.
Beyond that, on a 1911, the grip safety and thumb safety need to fail together and "something" needs to operate the trigger. If dropped the half cock notch would have to fail in addition to the safties.

Chambered and safety on for me as well.

Last edited:

Wow! Really? You a firearms instructor recommending this to your studenets? Why not recommend that they find a nice medium size rock and carry that around instead...it would be more useful.

John Browning might disagree, but what does he know.

Be sure you use the correct technique for chambering a round. With most semi auto handguns, the correct technique is to strip one from a magazine - do not lock the slide back, drop one in the chamber and slam the slide forward. If you drop it in the chamber directly, the extractor will have to snap over the case rim rather than let the round slide up under the hook - something that is harder on both the extractor and case rim.

This is one of those cases where the poster has confused his personal opinion with fact, and called his qualifications as an instructor into question. Many people, myself, have a personal preference to not carry a cocked and locked 1911 - but that's just a personal preference, not an indication that doing so is a bad decision, or that carrying with an empty chamber is a good idea. One option for additional safety is a holster with a strap that goes between the hammer and slide - but some experts will tell you this is unnecessary. As to "only a second". If you are carrying a gun for self defense, a second can be a long time, and the manipulation of the gun to rack the slide gives you an opportunity for something to go wrong, and distract your focus at time when you really don't need a distraction.

Another issue with the 1911 is that non series 80 guns are not generally "drop safe", and it can take a surprisingly short muzzle first drop onto concrete for the gun to fire via firing pin inertia. Opinions on how significant an issue this is for a carry gun vary considerably.

Last edited:
@OP: Doing it right and welcome to NES!

1911 carry....Cocked and locked here.

@FSA: Not sure what a dealership sponsor goes for here, but I think you just wasted your $.

Be sure you use the correct technique for chambering a round. With most semi auto handguns, the correct technique is to strip one from a magazine - do not lock the slide back, drop one in the chamber and slam the slide forward. If you drop it in the chamber directly,t he extractor will have to snao over the case rim rather than let the round slide up under the hook - something that is harder on both the extractor and case rim.

This is one of those cases where the poster has confused his personal opinion with fact, and called his qualifications as an instructor into question. Many people, myself, have a personal preference to not carry a cocked and locked 1911 - but that's just a personal preference, not an indication that doing so is a bad decision, or that it means that carrying with an empty chamber is a good idea. One option for additional safety is a holster with a strap that goes between the hammer and slide - but some experts will tell you this is unnecessary. As to "only a second". If you are carrying a gun for self defense, a second can be a long time, and the manipulation of the gun to rack the slide gives you an opportunity for something to go wrong, and distract your focus at time when you really don't need a distraction.

Another issue with the 1911 is that non series 80 guns are not generally "drop safe", and it can take a surprisingly short muzzle first drop onto concrete for the gun to fire via firing pin inertia. Opinions on how significant an issue this is for a carry gun vary considerably.

Rob: I am trying to visualize this technique of dropping round into chamber. I just don't see how it is done without "locking slide back" steps I see in your example for right handed person:
1. Strip a loose round from magazine or take one from box
2. hold pistol grip in right hand finger off trigger
3. open slide with left hand but don't lock back
4. drop round into chamber OOPS....HOW AM I SUPPOSED TO DO THIS SINCE RIGHT HAND IS HOLDING PISTOL AND LEFT IS HOLDING SLIDE OPEN??

I agree about it being personal choice on 1911. But if you want a pistol for personal protection, if I was the instructor I would advise that the 1911 is not right for you if that is how you feel. Since as we both agree.....racking the slide during and encounter adds way to much comlpexity to an already bad situation....

I just don't see how it is done without "locking slide back"

The correct technique does not involve dropping a round into the chamber.

The best way from a "be nice to your extractor and case rim" perspective is:

Place a magazine in the gun. Rack slide to chamber round. Remove magazine and top off with a round to replace the one you dropped in the chamber.

Be sure you use the correct technique for chambering a round. With most semi auto handguns, the correct technique is to strip one from a magazine - do not lock the slide back, drop one in the chamber and slam the slide forward. If you drop it in the chamber directly, the extractor will have to snap over the case rim rather than let the round slide up under the hook - something that is harder on both the extractor and case rim.

Misread the grammer there...sorry.....we are all thinking the same thing.

Back
Top Bottom