• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

New S&W Model 40 Centennial

FPrice

Retired Zoomie
NES Life Member
NES Member
My dealer just got in a new S&W Model 40 Centennial and we are are all pretty impressed with it. Appears to be mainly steel (trigger is probably MIM) with very nice fit and finish. I was able to hold and dry fire it for a few moments and liked it except for one small item. The grip safety required either huge fat hands or a fairly high grip in order to activate the safety. I tend to grip a little bit low plus my hands are right in the medium category. But once I got used to this it seemed to go well. This just might be a good j-frame to look at.

Oh, it has NO LOCK!

I just cannot comprehend any logic behind having a grip safety on a hammerless j frame.

The answer to that goes back to S&W marketing at that time.Then you will at least have an understanding of why, even if you don't agree with the reason.

When this model was introduced to commemorate the Centennial of Smith and Wesson back in the early 1950's, Carl Helstrom, then president of the firm (and perhaps the best CEO they ever had, he was also an engineer) wanted a revolver that could be used for home defense. He reasoned that a grip safety would be an important safety feature for a night stand gun because it would take some effort to push the grip safety forward, and that small children upon clandestinely finding the gun would not be strong enough to engage the grip safety and fire the weapon. The "hammerless" feature was also touted as a safety device because the revolver could not be cocked and fired in SA mode. It would take more strength to pull the trigger in DA mode, thus the Centennial would be the optimal home protection gun.

Remember too, that grip safety revolvers were popular back in the late 19th Century and early 20th Century. Small, what we would call today "pocket revolvers" were frequently intended for home defense as nightstand guns and advertising from the period confirms that. S&W made grip safety revolvers since the 1880's and other firms such as Iver Johnson featured grip safety models as well. They were considered a form of "childproofing" and also an additional safety feature for those who carried revolvers loosely in their pockets.

The original Centennial Model had a pin in the grip, so one could take off the stocks and pin the grip safety to the frame, rendering it inert. I understand that the new Model 40 lacks this feature.

Regards,

Mark L.

Last edited:
The answer to that goes back to S&W marketing at that time.Then you will at least have an understanding of why, even if you don't agree with the reason.

Mark,

That jives what some things I have read in the past. Thanks for putting it together in a short but comprehensive explanation.

He let you dry fire it? I thought on collectible revolvers that the value goes down once the you mark up the cylinder by dry-firing it.

He let you dry fire it? I thought on collectible revolvers that the value goes down once the you mark up the cylinder by dry-firing it.

S&W test fires every revolver that leaves the factory. There is a turn line around the cylinder before anyone else touches it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom