NEW offering from CMP CMP SPECIAL FIELD GRADE

Alright guys you will be horrified if you saw what I did but I got this rifle working.

I ordered a new follower rod to replace the one I bent, so with that coming I figured the current one is basically disposable and so I bubba-d it until it worked. This involved basically grinding about 1/16" off the outside edge so that there was once again proper clearance between the rod and the inside of the op rod. I realize I screwed the surface hardening and weakened the part.. Its going to get replaced this week anyway.

With this done I went and shot some clips just at the gong today, the thing worked well, I finally got that ping that I had been waiting for. I will send some pictures when my phones recharged.

M1 is restored to its proper working order with non-bent parts.

This gun smells better than all the other guns I own, I think its a combination of the wood and the gunpowder residue.

Nice, have you removed the 50 plus years of copper fouling from the bore yet?

Yeah exactly, the field grade special. Sorry for the lack of pictures so far, it basically looks like a m1 garand though. Theres very very minor pitting on the receiver. I'm planning to go and shoot some reloads I just made tomorrow so hopefully if its sunny I can get some good pictures for you.

Yeah exactly, the field grade special. Sorry for the lack of pictures so far, it basically looks like a m1 garand though. Theres very very minor pitting on the receiver. I'm planning to go and shoot some reloads I just made tomorrow so hopefully if its sunny I can get some good pictures for you.

Yes pictures are nice.... gun and targets! I won't be getting out till April so I live my shooting through this device......

Alright its a beautiful day and I just had a nice trip to the range with the new M1. Here she is with her sister:

YiffJ0u.jpg

The metal all looks good, there are some dings / pitting in front of the windage knob in case you are interested:

KkReXMX.jpg

v7Iitch.jpg

Heres what I was capable of today, shooting off a rest at 100 yards with basically mountain's load data (168 SMK + varget)
gP8K5iR.jpg

Theres tons of room for improvement, but to me the clusters of shots all together is a good sign. The spread may be due to me adjusting my cheek weld half way through.

For reference I shot a group with the AR so you will be able to tell how much of the error is due to me (a lot). This was the same setup but with the 77SMK and varget. I should be able to do better than this...

srW0c3f.jpg

The steel torso on the 100 yard range wanted lebensraum and only I could stop him

The beauty of the garand is you get a ping on the last round even when you miss.

All in all a very good afternoon.

Last edited by a moderator:
Alright its a beautiful day and I just had a nice trip to the range with the new M1. Here she is with her sister:

YiffJ0u.jpg

The metal all looks good, there are some dings / pitting in front of the windage knob in case you are interested:

KkReXMX.jpg

v7Iitch.jpg

Heres what I was capable of today, shooting off a rest at 100 yards with basically mountain's load data (168 SMK + varget)
gP8K5iR.jpg

Theres tons of room for improvement, but to me the clusters of shots all together is a good sign. The spread may be due to me adjusting my cheek weld half way through.

For reference I shot a group with the AR so you will be able to tell how much of the error is due to me (a lot). This was the same setup but with the 77SMK and varget. I should be able to do better than this...

srW0c3f.jpg

The steel torso on the 100 yard range wanted lebensraum and only I could stop him

The beauty of the garand is you get a ping on the last round even when you miss.

and bench slam to boot [shocked][rofl]..... basically what the M1s went through in their history and looks like its going to continue. with that type of handling it will look like a service grade usgi in no time[rofl]

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, nice shooting! Looks like there's a cluster of 4 all on top of each other.

Glad the load data worked for you. Keep in mind that your M1 may settle in a little and provide an incremental improvement in accuracy. Every time you unlock the trigger assembly, there's a good chance it will take a few shots to settle in. mac1911 warned me of this, and sure enough my RM1 Special takes a few shots to settle in. Best to leave it locked up, even when giving it a basic cleaning.

Now get thee to a JCG match. Check out the New England CMP Games- worth a vaca day or two to go.

Hey, nice shooting! Looks like there's a cluster of 4 all on top of each other.

Glad the load data worked for you. Keep in mind that your M1 may settle in a little and provide an incremental improvement in accuracy. Every time you unlock the trigger assembly, there's a good chance it will take a few shots to settle in. mac1911 warned me of this, and sure enough my RM1 Special takes a few shots to settle in. Best to leave it locked up, even when giving it a basic cleaning.

Now get thee to a JCG match. Check out the New England CMP Games- worth a vaca day or two to go.

Yes no need to really remove action from stock for a good long while. I do it it at the end of the season
To give the bore a solid clean. My other rifles I don't shoot much just stay in the safe. Inspect for rust every now and then....I have about gun socks with VCI in them and also use VCI units in my safe.

Leave it locked up. Tighten the rear sight screw and make sure your front sight and gas lock screw are good and snug.

Thanks for the advice, now that I have the follower situation under control I'll leave the wood on the rifle for a while. I am planning to clean the barrel just using a bore snake from time to time. What I've noticed with other rifles is that cleaning them doesn't really do anything other than slightly degrade accuracy until they get good and dirty again.

Thanks for the advice, now that I have the follower situation under control I'll leave the wood on the rifle for a while. I am planning to clean the barrel just using a bore snake from time to time. What I've noticed with other rifles is that cleaning them doesn't really do anything other than slightly degrade accuracy until they get good and dirty again.
My mauser K98 likes a good cleaning between matches. Accuracy dwindles quickly with shot count on that rifle.

Depends on the rifle.
For my M1 I use a bore snake, oil patch , dry patch or 2 then a oil patch for storage.
I will shoot until I start to loose accuracy or end of seasons.

Got to dig you a little more.
Make sure your front sight is good and tight for those bench slams[wink]

Last edited:
Alright its a beautiful day and I just had a nice trip to the range with the new M1.

Thanks for the pics and video. Looks nice. Glad it worked well.

Make sure your front sight is good and tight for those bench slams[wink]
I watched the video before I saw you mention this, I was going to say something similar. I didn't gasp but I did wince! I don't even do that with my AK, not that it can't handle it, I just like to coddle my rifles.

Back
Top Bottom