NEW offering from CMP CMP SPECIAL FIELD GRADE

Yes other than some cosmetic blems on the refinished "field grade" special the 200$ can go to ammo and or sling and other needed match stuff.

I finally got organized and got my CMP order form notarized and sent it out this weekend, hopefully I'll get one of these guys in the next few weeks.

Very good...I'm actually surprised these have not sold out.
It's a decent price for a refinished new barrel M1 for shooting.... I'm holding out on a 308 version before I buy a barrel and 308 finish reamer.

Alright I got mine in the mail today, it is sweet looking, you have to look pretty closely to see pitting on the metal, which I don't care about anyway. Now I guess I have to get "grease" to lubricate this thing and hopefully go shoot it this weekend. Are any of the commercial "m1 garand" ammo offerings good (e.g., the american eagle one)? I need something to shoot so I can start generating brass to reload. I don't want to wait 2 months to get an ammo can from the CMP.

Alright I got mine in the mail today, it is sweet looking, you have to look pretty closely to see pitting on the metal, which I don't care about anyway. Now I guess I have to get "grease" to lubricate this thing and hopefully go shoot it this weekend. Are any of the commercial "m1 garand" ammo offerings good (e.g., the american eagle one)? I need something to shoot so I can start generating brass to reload. I don't want to wait 2 months to get an ammo can from the CMP.

the ammo comes pretty quick. I would try and find PPU before AE its 30 cents cheaper on average and IMHO better ammo.
I might have some left over HXP from one of the loose bag orders i got a while back when it was 60 cents per round.
if your in the hanover ma area and if i have any i will sell it for cost.

Nice! I've never tried the american eagle garand ammo before. I'd expect top notch accuracy for ammo costing $1.25+ per round....

If only you lived closer to me, I'd be happy to sell you (at cost of course) some Prvi or HXP ammo that I have. I must have 1,200 rounds laying around...

I may have enough tumbled clean once fired (not resized) HXP brass to make it worth it to ship to you.....I can check when I get home tonight.

Thanks man, I kind of suspect the commercial stuff will be the equivalent of just expensive bulk ammo, but I want to know what the guns meant to shoot like / feel like before I start to reload, just so I'll have a better sense if I'm running too hot or something. Also I just want to shoot this ASAP so I can figure out the zeros and hopefully get out to 600 yards next month.

Nice to hear it's meeting your expectations. I ordered a can of HXP in Nov. and a can in Dec. and each were at my door in a week. Today I grabbed a box of PPU that specifically says "for rifle M1 Garand" on the box. I figured I might reload that brass first instead of the HXP.

Is removing the crimps on HXP easy? I've got a chamfer/deburr tool, but I haven't tried it. I know they make tools specifically for the crimps but I didn't think it was necessary.

Thanks man, I kind of suspect the commercial stuff will be the equivalent of just expensive bulk ammo, but I want to know what the guns meant to shoot like / feel like before I start to reload, just so I'll have a better sense if I'm running too hot or something. Also I just want to shoot this ASAP so I can figure out the zeros and hopefully get out to 600 yards next month.

your basic come ups work with the M1
you can get rough come ups simply be zeroing at 50 yards.
you should be darn close at 200 yards

any way basic come ups
100 zero come up 2 minutes for 200
from 200 come up 3min for 300
300 come up 11 min for 600

I would like to get my M1 out to 600 yards. im shooting high 460s low 470s(474 highest score) at 200 yards so i think i can keep them on paper at 600.

I may have enough tumbled clean once fired (not resized) HXP brass to make it worth it to ship to you.....I can check when I get home tonight.

Just checked. Didn't count them yet but there must be at least 150-200 once fired cases. HXP, PPU, and a handful of Remington cases....
5a5d48a3f4619297719b041673cbde18.jpg

I don't really plan on reloading until I burn through the 1,200 rounds of PPU and HXP I have....got plenty of brass lol.

Just dismantled the thing to clean it. I got all butthurt because I thought I had bent the follower rod so that it was fouling on the op rod and the bolt wouldn't close properly. While testing this I gave myself a case of the m1 thumb, so I am off to a good start. Finally got the thing reassembled again and I'm going to shoot it in a couple hours.

Just dismantled the thing to clean it. I got all butthurt because I thought I had bent the follower rod so that it was fouling on the op rod and the bolt wouldn't close properly. While testing this I gave myself a case of the m1 thumb, so I am off to a good start. Finally got the thing reassembled again and I'm going to shoot it in a couple hours.

Yeah id say you're off to a good start! Every garand owner needs to experience garand thumb. Have fun at the range. Let us know how it runs.

Despite everyone's warnings, I too was bit while cleaning. Nice open gash with RemOil and GPR mixed in. Have fun at the range!

Poor thumbs. One of the things I'm greatful for is my dad and his buddies teaching me how not to get M1 thumb at a early age.

- - - Updated - - -

Expect a range report and target pictures. Something for me to read while laid up on the couch again.

Had an interesting experience today. The rifle shot the first round fine, then wouldn't pick up the second one, I had to manually work the bolt and push in the follower each time. I went home and checked the gas piston and spring and everything is in spec.

I think the problem was that the follower rod had a significant bend in it, to where it would rub up against the inside of the op rod when the follower was pushed. This put tons of friction on the op rod making it hard to movefor about the last inch of its travel. I tried to pound the follower rod to get it straight again, which kind of improved the situation, so that things don't bind up as bad, however it still fails to feed about the first couple of cartridges in each clip. I think I will just buy a new follower rod thats straight and see if that works.

Last edited:
Many times when a garand wont pick up a round it is short stroking because the gas cylinder nut is loose.

Did you lube her up real good?

Had an interesting experience today. The rifle shot the first round fine, then wouldn't pick up the second one, I had to manually work the bolt and push in the follower each time. I went home and checked the gas piston and spring and everything is in spec.

I think the problem was that the follower rod had a significant bend in it, to where it would rub up against the inside of the op rod when the follower was pushed. This put tons of friction on the op rod making it hard to movefor about the last inch of its travel. I tried to pound the follower rod to get it straight again, which kind of improved the situation, so that things don't bind up as bad, however it still fails to feed about the first couple of cartridges in each clip. I think I will just buy a new follower rod thats straight and see if that works.

If you have any part (post pictures ) of a recently received CMP garand you think is NFG contact CMP customer service they will help. I have talked to armorers directly and with a picture or 2 of the bad part have been sent replacements.

I suspect I bent this part myself, I tried to force the rifle back into the stock with this rod in upside down, before I realized what I screwed up... although it seems pretty hard to bend and I doubt I was
pitting that much force on the thing, I guess it was getting cammed into the edge of the op rod so it multiplied the force I put on it.

I ordered a new one since its a cheap part, Ill spend some time today to try to get this one to work. Its basically just bowed out at the end where the forks are, so it just binds on the lip of the op rod dependin on where the follower is.

I suspect I bent this part myself, I tried to force the rifle back into the stock with this rod in upside down, before I realized what I screwed up... although it seems pretty hard to bend and I doubt I was
pitting that much force on the thing, I guess it was getting cammed into the edge of the op rod so it multiplied the force I put on it.

I ordered a new one since its a cheap part, Ill spend some time today to try to get this one to work. Its basically just bowed out at the end where the forks are, so it just binds on the lip of the op rod dependin on where the follower is.

I'm,still trying to visualise what you did[thinking]

A st of orion7 Springs wouldn't hurt either. Cheap investment

I just think the new springs do wonders for the old guns.
With the old springs it sounds and feels all clanky and banging around
with frsh springs it has a different sound and I still swear your rifle will be a bit more accurate with new springs. I get the complete spring kit.

I may have to consider getting the spring kit. I never changed anything when I got it from CMP. Something to do next time I do a thorough cleaning/disassembly I guess.

Though it shoots great.

Back
Top Bottom