NEW offering from CMP CMP SPECIAL FIELD GRADE

mac1911

NES Member
CMP Special FIELD GRADE (.30-06) M1 Garand. This is a completely refurbished rifle consisting of an original M1 Garand Springfield or HRA receiver, new production Criterion barrel, new production American Walnut stock and handguards, and new web sling. Receiver and most other parts are refinished USGI, but some parts may be new manufacture.
Receiver will have considerable pitting above the wood line.

so if a ugly gun is ok with you these are 200$ less than a CMP special.

in a nut shell they are building rifles wirth refinished Field grade recievers with pitting above the wood..... this must be the "rusty" recievers orest mentioned in the 80k plus serial numbers in house....

for a shooter if the recievers are in spec this is an affordable option for a like new shooter.

Fancy rebarreled parts gun - I think they're officially at the bottom of the barrel now.

T

if all you want is a good shooter then its a decent deal. A little stock fitting a few checks on internal parts and you should have a 10 ring capable rifle for under 900$
CMP has been assembling service grades longer than most would like to think. along with field grades and any many others. I think this can be seen in so many field grades showing up with like new barrels.
they took rough recievers parts and stocks slap a NOS barrel on and sell it.
out of the crate rifles i dont think are common as much. if you watch whats been going through the CMP auction they seem to have a lot of service grades, carbines to put up on the block along with some high end bolt action rifles.

may or mat not be the end but why not build up all serviceable parts while the cmp is set up to do so then once the surplus parts are gone they can re introduce the "crate" grade rifles for sale at a premium in a few years.

this is my prediction that they will have "crate grade" soon.

Last edited:
This is essentially my match gun. Grade C re-parked receiver coupled with a "Grade A" barrel. Except mine features GI furniture with great lockup. Not a bad deal for a shooter.

A regular FG will most likely be that rifle, with a loose stock and iffy barrel. The FGs are still fun.

Just a thought, you guys who have been waiting for a service grade... This offering might make a better shooter. And you can always order the SG if and when they are offered again.

A regular FG will most likely be that rifle, with a loose stock and iffy barrel. The FGs are still fun.

Just a thought, you guys who have been waiting for a service grade... This offering might make a better shooter. And you can always order the SG if and when they are offered again.
How bad do you think a regular FG would be accuracy-wise? 5 MOA? 8 MOA? Better, worse? I figured a regular FG could be an enjoyable range rifle, for ringing those plates. That, and it would be nice to insure myself a piece of history.

My best FG barrel is a 2 throat 2 muzzle - I'm actually unsure why the rifle graded as an SG. Today it would be.

Worst was a throat of 5 and muzzle would swallow an M2 round (4+). But it was the original receiver / barrel combo from WW2.

How bad do you think a regular FG would be accuracy-wise? 5 MOA? 8 MOA? Better, worse? I figured a regular FG could be an enjoyable range rifle, for ringing those plates. That, and it would be nice to insure myself a piece of history.

The U.S. weapons command over haul manual accuracy and targeting test is 5 consecutive shots after a 3 shot warm up to be inside a 1.77" group at 1000" that's inches. The kicker is there had to be a 10% failure rate out of the batch of rifles tested before they did anything. So 6moa ish is Good enough for GI.
I no longer have any field grades but with the stocks being sloppy and worn on fields grades the best you can hope for is 6moa. Any better count your blessings.
Service grades are somewhat better over all.
Although I have a SG that will wonder around after 12 shots or so. It's as close to "correct" I have so I have not messed with it.
I need to look it up but the standards for the SA national Match rifles was 4moa I believe.
So if you have a SG M1 that holds the 10 ring of a SR1 target you are doing very well....

I hope cmp does a 308 version because my current 308 project will cost me 1100$ with the donor rifle , New barrel and stock plus the finish reamer.
So for a decent JCG as issued match Rifle it's a good deal...personally for shooter quality I,don't care what it looks like as long as I can put them on the black down range...
Oh that reminds me. That is my starting point for decent accuracy with any milsurp rifle. Can it hold the black bull.

Last edited:
They should market this as 'Shooter Grade', 'JC Garand Grade' or the like. As you mention, it should shoot quite well given good stock fit or a little after purchase fitting.

edit- Added bonus that you get a good shooter for cheaper than you could build yourself, assuming you started from scratch.

Seems like a very good way to get some serviceable receivers back in action. If I did not already have a Special, I might have gone for one of these since my purpose was to shoot it. For the .308 build, I'm going for good shooter and good looks. I may go the faux NM route for that...

Last edited:
They should market this as 'Shooter Grade', 'JC Garand Grade' or the like. As you mention, it should shoot quite well given good stock fit or a little after purchase fitting.

edit- Added bonus that you get a good shooter for cheaper than you could build yourself, assuming you started from scratch.

Seems like a very good way to get some serviceable receivers back in action. If I did not already have a Special, I might have gone for one of these since my purpose was to shoot it. For the .308 build, I'm going for good shooter and good looks. I may go the faux NM route for that...

Good looks you going for up graded walnut with some fancy grain?

Like I have said, unless your sitting on some receivers or parts bought a while back it would be hard to build a M1 with refinished parts , New barrel and new wood for 830$ shipped
So yes I find it to be a decent alternative if your looking for a shooter.
Now do I think a new Criterion barrel is a must for a good shooter....no but I think with a new production barrel from criterion/Krieger I think you have a better chance than a SG or FG barrel... now there are other factors to getting M1 shooting better but you can't really "fix" a barrel.
Hope to see some pictures and if they put out a 308 I might just snag one. I'm at 1100$ if I go forward with my build..

If your interested here's a link to a thread on the C receivers.... some are nice some not so much.

http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=139293

I think these where 275$ when they offered them?

Last edited:
Yes, reparked Grade C receivers. Same ones they are presumably using to build field grades now.

ok so whos going to be the first to order one..... my bonus was not so much this year so im out.

Good looks you going for up graded walnut with some fancy grain?

If they already had a .308 Special FG, I would have been all over it instead of my build in progress. Not complaining- my receiver is as good as they come. Trigger job, bed the stock, and swap some parts if necessary and I would have been done. Guess I might have missed the parts hunting, however.

I have two choices for stocks now:

I have a Terni 'MT' stock with some really interesting 'flame' figure (aka tiger stripe). Thought it was walnut but might be something else. This is one of the ones with the added 'tip' to bring back to .30-06 length. As an unlimited, I could add a couple screws to ensure the tip stays put, though usually well glued joints are stronger than the parent wood. This was really cheap, so no big deal if I don't use it for this build.

I also found a USGI walnut stock for a little over $100 that is in decent shape and despite a couple nicks and dings, the wood grain and color look very close to my 1903 NM. Feels similar in the hand to the '03 C-stock, if that makes any sense. Only cartouche is a 'Q' under the grip, so when I have it bedded I won't be messing up a stock on someone's wish list.

Haven't decided which to use yet...

If they already had a .308 Special FG, I would have been all over it instead of my build in progress. Not complaining- my receiver is as good as they come. Trigger job, bed the stock, and swap some parts if necessary and I would have been done. Guess I might have missed the parts hunting, however.

I have two choices for stocks now:

I have a Terni 'MT' stock with some really interesting 'flame' figure (aka tiger stripe). Thought it was walnut but might be something else. This is one of the ones with the added 'tip' to bring back to .30-06 length. As an unlimited, I could add a couple screws to ensure the tip stays put, though usually well glued joints are stronger than the parent wood. This was really cheap, so no big deal if I don't use it for this build.

I also found a USGI walnut stock for a little over $100 that is in decent shape and despite a couple nicks and dings, the wood grain and color look very close to my 1903 NM. Feels similar in the hand to the '03 C-stock, if that makes any sense. Only cartouche is a 'Q' under the grip, so when I have it bedded I won't be messing up a stock on someone's wish list.

Haven't decided which to use yet...

Have you considered a laminated stock?

Yes, but decided to go a different route. Hopefully bedding will give the stability that a laminated stock would have given.

I'm thinking laminated and glass bed. My only concern( not that I will get to a unlimited match anytime soon)
is making weight for unlimited of 10.5 lbs.?

I'm thinking laminated and glass bed. My only concern( not that I will get to a unlimited match anytime soon)
is making weight for unlimited of 10.5 lbs.?

Somewhere I saw a pic of the standard dimension Criterion vs. the heavy barrel Krieger. Not that big of a difference, as compared to the difference of a standard AR profile vs. heavy service rifle AR profile. The or weight difference isn't that much either- ~1/2 lb or slightly more?

Given a standard profile barrel, are the laminated stocks that much heavier?

Last edited:
I'm about to get my first garand and was looking at these. Do you know how bad the field grade recievers will look like? I mainly just want a thing to shoot at matches and for fun. Should I get the field grade and 200 bucks of m2?

I'm about to get my first garand and was looking at these. Do you know how bad the field grade recievers will look like? I mainly just want a thing to shoot at matches and for fun. Should I get the field grade and 200 bucks of m2?

My thoughts are if your going to shoot as issued M1 garand match the CMP special with C grade receiver is a good start.
It would cost you more than 200$ to up grade a garand with a new barrel and stock .

Sorry I mean should I get the field grade special and have 200 bucks left over, or get the regular special grade one. I'm pretty set on getting one or the other so I dont have to deal with replacing the barrel since I plan to shoot the bejeesus out of this thing.

Ditto.

It will shoot better than you do, as does my Special. As mentioned above, I probably would have opted for one of these had they been available.

Back
Top Bottom