New LTC Holder, looks for carry suggestions

Hi!

I just recieved my LTC. I am new to firearms in general and am studying up on all aspects of firearms before I start actually carrying.

What I would like from the members on here are suggestions on which caliber to carry. I will be using the firearm for personal protection and it will be on my waist most of the time. I already know I want a Glock, I just don't know which caliber I should get. Can someone tell me the differences between each caliber?

Also any other suggestions on carrying would be welcome.

Thanks!

glock 40 caliber in whatever frame fits your needs, I use a Glock22

Since Glocks are super expensive in MA you might want to look at the S&W M&P line .

join a club, find a public range, shoot often to get and stay proficient

Read Massad Ayoobs book "In The Gravest Extreme"

9mm is a good round, .45ACP will stop an elephant, the .40 S&W round is a compromise between the 9 and .45 that is widely accepted in the law enforcement community. 10mm is an orphan round.. it never caught on, the .357 sig has some interesting characteristics, and many of us who have 40 caliber weapons can drop a lone wolf or other after market barrel in our gun and shoot either .40 S&W or .357 Sig. The magazines work with both cartridges.

If you get a semi auto do not keep chambering a round and when unchambering it when you put it away put the bullet back in the magazine to use again. In the Glock .40's it has been problematic meaning that it may be the cause of the guns blowing up. 9mm's are not prone to this but the Glock 40's are well know for KB'ing.

Sig make a great product don't ignore them.

Last edited:
Hi!

I just recieved my LTC. I am new to firearms in general and am studying up on all aspects of firearms before I start actually carrying.

What I would like from the members on here are suggestions on which caliber to carry. I will be using the firearm for personal protection and it will be on my waist most of the time. I already know I want a Glock, I just don't know which caliber I should get. Can someone tell me the differences between each caliber?

Also any other suggestions on carrying would be welcome.

Thanks!

Some things that would help:

1. Your height, weight, and build. (concealing is very dependent on your body type)
2. How often are you going to be carrying (comfort is key)
3. What kind of clothing do you wear? Tucked in shirts? More baggy style. Do you need to dress in business attire for work?

I carry a glock 26.
5'8" 180lbs with a medium build.
I have carried a Glock 30, Glock 36, Glock 19 and ended up with my Glock 26.
The 30 and 36 were .45 and the 19 and 26 are both 9mm.

I switched to 9mm becuase i can hold more rounds and don't need to carry spare mags with me. It also weighs less.

You'll have to find what suits you best. the holster is absolutely key.
Don't go and buy a cheap generic. The gun will not fit properly and won't stay there. You need a holster designed specifically for your gun.

I use a Comptac Inner waist band when casually dressed and either deep cover thunderwear or a holster shirt when dressed for business.

I am 6'2'' and about 270ish.

I will be carrying pretty often, almost all the time.

I wear a suit and when not in a suit, I usually have a sweatshirt or a jacket on. In the summer I wear untucked shirts.

I am 6'2'' and about 270ish.

I will be carrying pretty often, almost all the time.

I wear a suit and when not in a suit, I usually have a sweatshirt or a jacket on. In the summer I wear untucked shirts.

You're going to need several different holsters and unfortunately it may be pretty costly for you if you don't find the proper gun first.

The most comfortable for me is IWB Comptac. Second would be my holster shirt but that is difficult to access. 3rd would be my thunderwear because my dick falls asleep with it.

I ended up with the G26 because when dressed for business I can wear it in my holster shirt and the grip of the gun does not protrude so I avoid looking like I have a 3rd erect nipple.

Part of the reason why I switched from .45 is that I felt the need to carry spare mags with me due to round capacity of the gun.

You should get used to carrying something on your hip like your cell phone. Try putting it on the inside of your waistband rather than the outside. Walk around with it and be conscious of when your shirt lifts up etc. That will give you a better idea.

Which caliber should you get?

There are so many reasons one could choose a caliber over another. But one thing is for sure... many people have died from the 9mm, .40, .357, and .45. Each caliber does its job.

I can't tell you what YOU should use... I can only tell you why I chose what I chose.

I carry a Glock 26. 9mm.

Pros:
1. Low recoil = faster followup shots
2. 10 round capacity
3. Very accurate.
4. 9mm = cheap compared to .40/.357/.45
Cons:
1. ?
2. ?
3. ?

I've owned a Glock 30... .45... and it was a fantastic gun.

Pros:
1. Very low recoil for a subcompact .45.
2. 10 round capacity - in a SUBCOMPACT!
3. VERY accurate.
Cons:
1. The Glock 30 is a THICK gun.
2. .45 is very expensive to buy
3. It's a THICK gun.

I've just never liked the .40 caliber. It's got no soul.

And it seems like the .357 Sig's only outstanding quality is it's exceptional penetration performance... But then again... 9mm penetrates well too.

So in my mind... it was between the 9mm... and .45.

9mm is cheaper.
The .45 caliber Glocks were just too thick for me to conceal well. Some physiques conceal them just fine though. To each their own.

Most importantly though... aside from cost of ammo... and size of the gun... is the shootability of the gun you choose.

If you shoot a Glock 30 better than a Glock 26... carry the Glock 30.

Be sure to take a carry course - GOAL offers a good one. You should be well aware of the complexities of carrying and deadly force laws before you do so.

And when you get your carry gun, make sure it's something you can shoot a lot. Don't get one of those lightweight S&W revolvers unless you're willing to practice with it. A carry gun is useless unless you know how to shoot it.

You "know" you want a Glock...? How? Why? There are many, many good carry guns out there.
The requirements for a carry pistol are not the same as for a range gun. First of all you must be
able to conceal it well. Then you must be able to use it well (personal fit is a big factor here),
then choose things like caliber and brand. Don't limit yourself so much in your first ccw. Glock
makes great pistols, but hold some Sigs, Smiths, Kahrs, Walthers, etc. before you make up your mind.

If you're new to shooting, get a 9mm. It's much cheaper to learn with, and with good ammo 9mm is still a good stopper. If you want a Glock, try a 19 and a 26. I think the 19 is is one of the best first guns, because it's big enough to be shootable but small enough to be reasonably concealable. Like others said, don't scrimp on the holster and belt. They're as important or more important than the gun, concealment wise.

First, do you know how to shoot? Seriously, have you taken a marksmanship class? If not, contact a good NRA Instructor and take a Basic Pistol class. Be sure that the class offers students the ability to try more then just .22 pistols. (Riverside in Hudson has a course that trains you on .22s and then allows you to try a host of different guns at the end so you can see for yourself what you like - some others do the same)

Get your defensive pistol of choice and then attend some IDPA clinics. These will drill you in getting to know your gun and use it on the move. IDPA is NOT defensive training, but rather provides great experience with your gun.

Contact GOAL

Take: Art of Concealed Carry in Massachusetts

Take it, take it to heart.

Stop, don't go to the next post, get on the phone right now and call 508-393-5333 and tell them you want to take the next scheduled course.

Next contact LFI in New Hampshire at (800)624-9049 and tell them you are interested in the LFI-1 course next summer. (details HERE)

Then, you will be in a much better position to really answer those questions for yourself.

Because, seriously, only YOU can answer them. And you might be surprised at how much your own answers will change as your experience grows. I began carrying thinking "I must have an auto" and today I find that I carry a revolver more often because it tends to fit the dress of the day far better.

Another thing you might want to do is "GO GREEN" and attend the member shoot at the end of the month. No only will you be able to talk one-on-one with some of the finest people in this area, but if you ask, you will be able to see and possibly shoot just about any kind of gun you can imagine.

And, if we ever get our butts in gear and schedule the "Holster Party" we keep talking about, you could even try out various guns and carry methods.

Lots of great stuff going on here to partake in. "GO GREEN" and get far more than your membership cost worth.

Welcome to the forum and hope you stay around and learn a few things.

What I would like from the members on here are suggestions on which caliber to carry. I will be using the firearm for personal protection and it will be on my waist most of the time. I already know I want a Glock, I just don't know which caliber I should get. Can someone tell me the differences between each caliber

Frankly, caliber is one of the least important things to be concerned with. Carry a gun that you can conceal and that you can shoot quickly and accurately with. A miss with a .45 is not as good as a hit with a .380. Training is far, far more important than caliber.

You'll be well served by a Glock 9mm, or .40, or .357Sig, or .45. It really doesn't matter which. 9mm will have the least recoil, will cost less, and is what I recommend for a new shooter. Go to a member shoot, try a few, and see which you like best.

You'll have to find what suits you best. the holster is absolutely key.
Don't go and buy a cheap generic. The gun will not fit properly and won't stay there. You need a holster designed specifically for your gun.

I use a Comptac Inner waist band when casually dressed and either deep cover thunderwear or a holster shirt when dressed for business.

Good advice!!

Not only is the holster the key element but most people forget about a good quality belt.

The belt is the most often ignored element. Get a quality belt of the same width as the holster belt slots.

Just my .02.

Good Luck

If you get a semi auto do not keep chambering a round and when unchambering it when you put it away put the bullet back in the magazine to use again. In the Glock .40's it has been problematic meaning that it may be the cause of the guns blowing up. 9mm's are not prone to this but the Glock 40's are well know for KB'ing.

Blowing up???? Is this true? I really dont want to blow my ass up.

I think it's the Glock .45 ACP's that are most prone to KB's. A police department reported a few of them during training. (don't remember which one). Speaking of, whatever happened to the .45 GAP? Does anyone shoot that cartridge? [smile]

I'm serious on the chambering/unchambering reusing ammo on the Glock 40's. Note the word SETBACK in the quote below.

http://www.thehighroad.org/archive/index.php/t-86558.html
"It's not a model issue.

It's related to several things.

1. Glocks don't tolerate lead bullets well due to the rifling method used. Using lead bullets can cause a dangerous increase chamber pressures during firing.

2. .40 S&W ammunition is very sensitive to bullet setback with the 180 grain loading being the most sensitive. Even relatively small amounts of bullet setback in this loading can cause chamber pressures during firing to rise to unsafe levels.

3. Glock chambers are cut on the generous side which allows the brass to expand more than usual upon firing. This weakens the brass more than normal which means that using reloaded brass, or especially reloading .40 brass from rounds shot in a Glock can compound the #2 problem while also increasing the chances that the case will fail.

If you stick to high quality factory ammo with bullet weights under 180 grains and stay away from aluminum case ammo, you should have no problem. Federal ammo seems to be over-represented in the failures associated with factory ammo--might want to stay away from them although I usually recommend their ammo in most cases.

For what it's worth, this phenomenon is not limited to Glocks. There have been kB!s in most brands--and in other calibers than .40. The .40 Glock does seem to get more than its share, but it's likely that some of this is due to the large number of these guns in service."

For what it's worth, this phenomenon is not limited to Glocks. There have been kB!s in most brands--and in other calibers than .40. The .40 Glock does seem to get more than its share, but it's likely that some of this is due to the large number of these guns in service."

Agreed. It has happened to other manufacturers as well, including HK. http://www.thegunzone.com/glock/hk-kb.html

Another +1 for not limiting yourself on a Glock. Glocks are great. I love the ergonomics, I shot them well and they are easy to take apart and most important ultra reliable. But I found I could carry others better.

I got a S&W CS9 in a Crossbreed holster and did not look back. Comfortable, conceals really well under just a t shirt and very accessible if I ever need it.

Take GOAL's Art of Concealed Carry class. Darius & Jon are awesome & informative! They cover everything from choosing a holster, to legalities of carry in the PRM. I highly recommend their classes.

I would also urge you to Study up, read up, class up, practise up extensively before even considering carrying anything...

After all of that, I would urge you to at least take into serious consideration a SW Jframe. The original one and only point and click interface..

I am @ 5'9" 150lbs.. most all semis do not conceal on me well and look like I have some sort of medical issue that should not be talked about publically..I can get away w/ a snubbie though..

Consider a revolver....I carry a Smith and Wesson 642CT every single day. I own exactly one holster for it - a Mika pocket holster. I have carried this gun in the front pocket of everything from my shorts to my dress pants and it's riding in my Levis jacket pocket right now...Light, accurate, powerful, instinctive...

I know it's the film noir streak in me.
And as irrational as it is, there is a definite comfort level knowing that there are few moving parts, and the thing will ALWAYS go bang.
No saftey, no slide, no question about cocked, cocked and locked, striker positions etc.

And 5 rounds of 357 (and 38 spl) has a lot of history of being effective. Guns may have coma long way in a 100+ years but humans have not..

I sold my 642
Way too much for me to handle. Accurate only when I slow fired it.

It is extremely light and easy to carry. I used to go running with mine.

if you are considering this, you absolutely must shoot it before buying.

A non +p .38 was pretty bad. I can't imagine a .357

I've still got my 642, but it is mostly a safe queen. I'm not accurate with it and it smacks my trigger finger when I shoot it. Ouch.

I much prefer my Kahr PM9 or MK9. They have real sights. Of course, both are hard to find in MA. YMMV.

I've still got my 642, but it is mostly a safe queen. I'm not accurate with it and it smacks my trigger finger when I shoot it. Ouch.

I much prefer my Kahr PM9 or MK9. They have real sights. Of course, both are hard to find in MA. YMMV.

I understand this logic. But, my feeling on it is this.

That being said..
IF I were to ever have to draw, in all likelyhood sites will be largely irrelevant. Expected distance being close to nose to nose..
If there is any opportunity to run I will absolutely do so, being the flat out coward that I am.

The pain of the trigger guard mashing my fingers would largely be overshadowed by the fear of the pain of death immanently to be inflicted by the proposed target.

If I could possibly expect use sites, I would just carry around a Barrett..

The pain of the trigger guard mashing my fingers would largely be overshadowed by the fear of the pain of death immanently to be inflicted by the proposed target.
Any snub, including the 642, takes quite a bit of practice to master. The pain is such that I don't want to shoot it much, and therefore don't practice enough to master it. There are plenty of folks who can shoot the 642 without pain. But for me, the trigger guard hits my index finger and it just plain hurts.

If I could possibly expect use sites, I would just carry around a Barrett..

I disagree. While point shooting is clearly a valuable defensive shooting technique, I think you also need to be able to use the sights.

First, do you know how to shoot? Seriously, have you taken a marksmanship class? If not, contact a good NRA Instructor and take a Basic Pistol class. Be sure that the class offers students the ability to try more then just .22 pistols. (Riverside in Hudson has a course that trains you on .22s and then allows you to try a host of different guns at the end so you can see for yourself what you like - some others do the same)

Get your defensive pistol of choice and then attend some IDPA clinics. These will drill you in getting to know your gun and use it on the move. IDPA is NOT defensive training, but rather provides great experience with your gun.

Contact GOAL

Take: Art of Concealed Carry in Massachusetts

Take it, take it to heart.

Stop, don't go to the next post, get on the phone right now and call 508-393-5333 and tell them you want to take the next scheduled course.

Next contact LFI in New Hampshire at (800)624-9049 and tell them you are interested in the LFI-1 course next summer. (details HERE)

Then, you will be in a much better position to really answer those questions for yourself.

Because, seriously, only YOU can answer them. And you might be surprised at how much your own answers will change as your experience grows. I began carrying thinking "I must have an auto" and today I find that I carry a revolver more often because it tends to fit the dress of the day far better.

Another thing you might want to do is "GO GREEN" and attend the member shoot at the end of the month. No only will you be able to talk one-on-one with some of the finest people in this area, but if you ask, you will be able to see and possibly shoot just about any kind of gun you can imagine.

And, if we ever get our butts in gear and schedule the "Holster Party" we keep talking about, you could even try out various guns and carry methods.

Lots of great stuff going on here to partake in. "GO GREEN" and get far more than your membership cost worth.

Welcome to the forum and hope you stay around and learn a few things.

Thanks for all the info from everyone!

I have already taken a Basic Pistol Course, and I have tried a couple different types of pistols. I am a pretty good shot. I want a Glock because I like the way it feels, looks, and shoots. Like one of you said, its pretty simple to fire, and its reliable.

What are these IDPA clinics, where can I find info on them? I am def going to take a carry class, where does GOAL hold its classes? I was also thinking about going GREEN but the thing is, and it will be the same with these classes, is that I work A LOT and I dont have much time, but I know I will fit them in. Once again thanks to everyone for all the info, feel free to give me any more info you have for me.

Also if you live on /near the North Shore I would love to hear from you and get to know some people to possibly hang out with so plz PM me.

Thanks!

I sold my 642
Way too much for me to handle. Accurate only when I slow fired it.

It is extremely light and easy to carry. I used to go running with mine.

if you are considering this, you absolutely must shoot it before buying.

A non +p .38 was pretty bad. I can't imagine a .357

Very good advice.

I own a S&W Model 60 .357 (3 Inch) and a S&W Model 66 .357.

The 60 I will not shoot a .357 out of, the 66 I will. The small J frames and the .357 in my eyes are really not a match made in heaven.

And of course others practice and are able to master and control the weapon, but I haven't.

Back
Top Bottom