New Hampshire teen hurt in potato gun mishap

Union Leader

KEENE – A 14-year-old Keene boy suffered serious facial injuries yesterday when he was struck by a potato fired from a homemade gun, Alstead police said.

The child, whose name was withheld because he is a juvenile, was flown to Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center in Lebanon after the 3:27 p.m. incident.

The boy was playing in a field off Griffin Hill Road in Alstead with Robert Guyette, 18, and Gibson Chase-Pinkney, 19, both of Keene, Lt. Marcello D'Alessandro said.

The potato gun malfunctioned, he said.

While the 14-year-old and Chase-Pinkney examined the gun, it went off, striking the boy in the face, he said.

The potato gun was made of PVC piping and used hairspray as the propellent, which the boys ignited with a spark, police said.

The potato gun malfunctioned, he said.

While the 14-year-old and Chase-Pinkney examined the gun, Somebody filled it with hairspray and ignited it, striking the boy in the face, he said.

The potato gun was made of PVC piping and used hairspray as the propellent, which the boys ignited with a spark, police said.

What really happened. [thinking]

Fail.

Seriously though, I love how the 14 year old is the one that got hurt...

There's the 18 and 19 year olds: "Johhny look in the tube see what is wrong with this thing."
Johnny 14 year old: "OK!"

You spray some hairspray in the tube, and then quickly close the end with a plug. If you hurry and ignite it while the hairspray is still a gas, it explodes. So they were probably hurrying to screw on the end plug, mis threaded it, and it did not hold up to the pressure when ignited.

That is a potato cannon, this is a potato gun:
Potato%20Gun.jpg

At least they didn't call it an AK-47.

Mike

Sounds like some kids who were just having some fun even though it was a pretty poor use of materials. Seriously, I did stuff a lot worse than these guys, I was just lucky enough to never get seriously hurt. Didn't you guys ever do something really dumb at 14? -Sounds like the PVC exploded.

The injuries could be very serious. My spud guns have a muzzle velocity of 325 to 350 fps. Slow for a bullet, but moving right along for a potato. When shooting at a concrete wall or a tree from about 25 feet, the impact energy is impressive.

Poor kid. Now if they had been taught in school the very first gun safety rule, he might not have done something like that. But since it seems the only PC kind of Gun Safety Training is to do NOTHING, this is what happens.

I blame every zero-tolerance policy for this.

He could have lost his eye sight, hearing....he could have died.
Reconstructive facial surgury is likely.

Someones child.

Hope he'll be ok.

Good thing they weren't in MA. They'd be charged with illegal possession of a firearm.

Hope the kid ends up alright.

Back
Top Bottom