New Carry gun

Yes I have read that, You also know they haven’t had a firefight since they switched back, to either prove or disprove the findings in that study Right?
A firefight would neither prove nor disprove it, since chaos rules. But before deciding to switch back, the FBI did a study in 2014 which reviewed how things had changed in the intervening decades. Their conclusion in 1988 was that "All the light, 9mm hollow point bullets popular in law enforcement today dangerously lack penetration, as do the light, high velocity .38 and .357 bullets." But by 2014, that was no longer true, and hadn't been for a while. Speer's introduction of Gold Dot in 1991 was a game changer, and there's been incremental improvements since then. Today, the FBI uses rounds such as Speer Gold Dot G2, Hornaday Critical Duty, and WInchester PDX1. All of which bear little resemblance to the "stuff' used in the Miami shootout.

I respect your preference for .45, but the 1988 FBI study should no longer be a basis for it.

A firefight would neither prove nor disprove it, since chaos rules. But before deciding to switch back, the FBI did a study in 2014 which reviewed how things had changed in the intervening decades. Their conclusion in 1988 was that "All the light, 9mm hollow point bullets popular in law enforcement today dangerously lack penetration, as do the light, high velocity .38 and .357 bullets." But by 2014, that was no longer true, and hadn't been for a while. Speer's introduction of Gold Dot in 1991 was a game changer, and there's been incremental improvements since then. Today, the FBI uses rounds such as Speer Gold Dot G2, Hornaday Critical Duty, and WInchester PDX1. All of which bear little resemblance to the "stuff' used in the Miami shootout.

I respect your preference for .45, but the 1988 FBI study should no longer be a basis for it.
We got screwballs now you know? If you’re wearing a triple fat goose in mid-winter then you’ll get goosed with one of these. 9mm will do the job just fine in it’s many iterations.

C9848365-1A5F-4510-8386-7EF759E49E79.jpeg

We got screwballs now you know? If you’re wearing a triple fat goose in mid-winter then you’ll get goosed with one of these. 9mm will do the job just fine in it’s many iterations.
"We at the FBI do not have a sense of humor we're aware of." The FBI isn't known for screwballs. Screwups? That's a different story.

Seriously, I know nothing about the effectiveness of exotic rounds like that one or that R.I.P. thingy. My current self-defense load is Federal Punch, although I also have a box of Zombie Max stashed away.

"We at the FBI do not have a sense of humor we're aware of." The FBI isn't known for screwballs. Screwups? That's a different story.

Seriously, I know nothing about the effectiveness of exotic rounds like that one or that R.I.P. thingy. My current self-defense load is Federal Punch, although I also have a box of Zombie Max stashed away.
I use Punch, HST, and the Lehigh Xtreme Defense (screwballs). The results in organic material, clothing, and ballistic gel has me content to carry them.

Buy the Sheild fotay.

Double the gayness, double the fun.

I like my Croatian tupperware. XDs 45 has been my main CCW for 9 years now.

I prefer the impact of a .45 over a 9mm. Have you read the FBI’s report on their reason for going away from 9mm?

Weak trolling bro.

Yes, I bet a lot of us have read it. And someone like myself who carries 45 also carries 9 from time to time. Good ammo + shot placement.

You do know the FBI carries 9mm Glocks, right? Either the 17 or 19 I forget now.

Thanks for all the input! I was able to do some fondling today of about 8 different items.

1) P365 SAS - Price is higher than I was planning, don't know any of the research, any information from anyone who has one?
2) P365 XL - wasn't considering it but curious on thoughts
3) XDS3.3 - has one in stock, wasn't overly impressed
4) Hellcat - wow nice but wow pricetag! Think I am going to pass due to that

Prices are a little higher than retail but that is sort of expected in this market.

I am particular curious on the stand vs the SAS (I can look at a standard one on Wednesday) is it worth the extra $50?

Thank you

I am particular curious on the stand vs the SAS (I can look at a standard one on Wednesday) is it worth the extra $50?
of sas - i think most ppl cannot say if it helps anything that much at all as the hole to see through is way too small. but, it is a personal thing. i am neutral to it.
as of XL vs basic 365 - same thing, personal preference. i see most important benefit of 365 to be its small size, so, getting XL had no much sense to me, but those with larger hands find XL to be way easier to handle.

I prefer the impact of a .45 over a 9mm. Have you read the FBI’s report on their reason for going away from 9mm?
??? The FBI's selected caliber is 9mm, the issued handguns are Glock 17 and Glock 19 and the ammunition is Gold Dot 147 grain HP.

Throw that crap away and get some 9mm Winchester Ranger 127 gr. +p+ and have 1275 fps velocity on tap.
I know Ranger is some good stuff. I’ve seen the Lucky Gunner tests. I still have gobs of +P+ Federal old school 9BP 147gr.

I know Ranger is some good stuff. I’ve seen the Lucky Gunner tests. I still have gobs of +P+ Federal old school 9BP 147gr.
147gr.+P+sounds like it's pretty good too. What's the velocity? The people in Atlanta asked the PD to stop using Federal 9BPLE 115 gr. because they were racking up what the people thought were to many one shot kills.

Last edited:
Throw that crap away and get some 9mm Winchester Ranger 127 gr. +p+ and have 1275 fps velocity on tap.
Word.
Good for hunting, too.

147gr.+P+sounds like it's pretty goog too. What's the velocity? The people in Atlanta asked the PD to stop using Federal 9BPLE 115 gr. because they were racking up what the people thought were to many one shot kills.
Shoot from half-cock; only wound them?

Yes I have read that, You also know they haven’t had a firefight since they switched back, to either prove or disprove the findings in that study Right?
It's like this. People have demonstrated with ballistics gel that the bullets they used back then over-expanded and as a result didn't have adequate penetration. That's what happened in the infamous fire fight. You can probably buy similar if not the exact same 9x19 loads that they used, and that will still be a bad idea. Nobody's going back to that specifically. However, you can now get 9x19 engineered to deliver a balance between recoil, expansion, and penetration for the barrel-length you're shooting. It's the same thing with 38 special. The frustration with the performance of the old 158 grain LRN loads was real enough, but judging modern 38 ammo by how the 158 grain LRN loads performed would be wrong, too.

Thanks for the advice guys! Had a great experience at the FFL I went to!
I'm envious of the quality of this choice for a first concealed carry gun. I'm usually still carrying an LC9s, and apparently I can't be bothered to upgrade. Its design has some unnecessary quirks.

I'm envious of the quality of this choice for a first concealed carry gun. I'm usually still carrying an LC9s, and apparently I can't be bothered to upgrade. Its design has some unnecessary quirks.
Thank you! fortunately (or unfortunately) I do a lot of research before a purchase. That being said, this thread helped me make my decision. I was shying away from the 365 due to price, but when I talked to people on here, did my research, and finally got to see it, the additional cost was warranted. There are certainly upgrade options but not out of the box and I like that.

Holster is on order, should be able to hit a range session next week

Thank you! fortunately (or unfortunately) I do a lot of research before a purchase. That being said, this thread helped me make my decision. I was shying away from the 365 due to price, but when I talked to people on here, did my research, and finally got to see it, the additional cost was warranted. There are certainly upgrade options but not out of the box and I like that.

Holster is on order, should be able to hit a range session next week
get those

they really help. MFS had them in stock in the store, or, any source will do.

It's like this. People have demonstrated with ballistics gel that the bullets they used back then over-expanded and as a result didn't have adequate penetration. That's what happened in the infamous fire fight. You can probably buy similar if not the exact same 9x19 loads that they used, and that will still be a bad idea. Nobody's going back to that specifically. However, you can now get 9x19 engineered to deliver a balance between recoil, expansion, and penetration for the barrel-length you're shooting. It's the same thing with 38 special. The frustration with the performance of the old 158 grain LRN loads was real enough, but judging modern 38 ammo by how the 158 grain LRN loads performed would be wrong, too.
FMJ / Ball ammo is better than the 115gr silvertip. [laugh]

get those

they really help. MFS had them in stock in the store, or, any source will do.
I was looking at these this morning, are they worth it than just buying the sig mags with their extension?

Good choice picking irons over the SAS. I personally feel that the SAS is like trying to shoot while using a 2 axis bubble level. Plus, the SAS take down is annoying.
I appreciate it, I went back and forth my biggest reasoning was consistency. I sometimes carry my 17 and will sometimes carry the 365 (if not always). Having to think about which sites I have on? didn't appeal to me, plus I have options to put whatever I want on them. Very happy with the decision.

I was looking at these this morning, are they worth it than just buying the sig mags with their extension?
worth it to me.
with the gun you were supposed to get one mag with the extension, and one without. mags are all the same anyway, only the base plate differs.

Because I have to look into everything! thought on the flat trigger?

huge (relatively, ok. a cz is worse) pita to replace the trigger there, but, if you are handy you can do it. i did not see the point, to be honest. it is not a target gun, it is an EDC.
there was a youtube for that. watch it.

if you wanna play with swapping stuff - play with the glock. that is what it is made for. that small sig is better kept stock.

Back
Top Bottom