• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

New Acquisitions for January 2015

Pretty interesting (late) aquisition...Purchased from an older woman who wanted it out of her house, this is an IJA Officer's Katana. After getting it authenticated via the tang under the leather weather cover from a local museum, turns out it is a real Samurai sword from 1682 that just happened to be carried in WW2. I do not know the back story, and apparently it is really hard to trace who carried what sword into battle, but would love to hear about the things this sword has witnessed/done!! Cheers!

If that sword was made in 1682 they were tested on cadavers or prisoners to assure quality.Sword makers put thier name on a sword,and covered certain areas. A samurai handed a sword down threw the family.It had to be an important person to have a sword in his family that long.Then to have it cut down for officer service.IT might take you alot of work but you might be able to find out what family that sword cam from.Good luck don't do any work to it leave it as is,and try not to touch the blade without gloves.

Last edited:
I bought the S&W 617, 10 shot .22, in December, but the Eagle grips came and I assembled and photographed them in January. I've put more than 200 rounds through it, of all varieties, short and long rifle, and it has been great, as a fine revolver should be!

I think that a few things are beautiful in this world, such as women, animals, nature, fine art and music, guns, and other highly engineered tools of a non-electronic variety, though not necessarily in that order on any given day! Btw, those aren't scratches on the frame, and I never even noticed them before these pics. (?) View attachment 124635View attachment 124636View attachment 124637View attachment 124638

That's a beauty. I need to get a revolver.

If that sword was made in 1682 they were tested on cadavers or prisoners to assure quality.Sword makers put thier name on a sword,and covered certain areas. A samurai handed a sword down threw the family.It had to be an important person to have a sword in his family that long.Then to have it cut down for officer service.IT might take you alot of work but you might be able to find out what family that sword cam from.Good luck don't do any work to it leave it as is,and try not to touch the blade without gloves.

I appreciate the comment! It has been an awesome journey learning about all of this. It is true that many samurai swords were handed down from generation to generation and the sword served as the "soul" of the family. I have looked into (basically, that is) trying to figure out which family this sword belonged to, but there are no records of which IJA officer carried what sword into battle...My original goal (since I have very little money into this sword) was to try and reunite it with the family. Come to find out, a lot of Samurai during the Meiji Restoration sold their family swords to the equivalent of modern day thrift shops to have money for food etc....I am continuing my search to figure more about this piece of Japanese history and am well aware not to modify it in any way or touch the blade! Thanks!

Went up to Old Glory up in Mason, NH this past Sunday expecting to just pick up a box or two of non-corrosive 7.62x54r... ended up leaving with my first SKS (my second Mil-surp), for an incredible deal compared to the Chinese SKS' I've seen on ClassicFirearms, AIM Surplus, and other online vendors as of late [wink] (In my mind anyways). I'll be posting a thread in the Mil-Surp subforum for more info on it and a few questions, if y'all are interested: http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/threads/270939-Bought-My-First-SKS-Showcase-amp-Questions

Chinese SKS Type 56
Imported by N.A. Co. of Ridgefield N.J.

There are no other markings on the gun, save the importer's mark. I estimate this to be early production between 1956-1962 due to the low serial number and other manufacturing techniques. I'd be much obliged if anyone has any information to toss in, I'm not the most knowledgeable on the SKS so far and I'd love to learn more.

I really ought to stay out of NH, every time I make a trip up there I manage to bring home a firearm, parts, or a ton of ammo; who knows what'll come home next.
giphy.gif

Built myself a liberty training rifle. Now if only I could hunt down some ammo for reasonable prices...

54AD2292-0286-4B80-B67E-7091B7ABD4C0.jpg

And of course, having the original barrel and stock laying around has me thinking of finding another receiver to build a second one [laugh]

1910 M07 Dreyse full rig. Pistol sits in an EZGJ1944 WaA721 CZ27 holster. I swapped in a set of replacement grips. Pistol has a WWI German Imperial acceptance proof.

T

Last edited:
1911 M07 Dreyse full rig. Pistol sits in an EZGJ1944 WaA721 CZ27 holster. I swapped in a set of replacement grips. Pistol has a WWI German Imperial acceptance proof.

T

very cool, I don't know much about old guns but sure do like them.

I lived in Japan for two years, speak and read Japanese (the former more fluently than the latter), and have a background in history and martial arts. Also have close friends there still. Please PM me if I can be of any assistance.

I appreciate the comment! It has been an awesome journey learning about all of this. It is true that many samurai swords were handed down from generation to generation and the sword served as the "soul" of the family. I have looked into (basically, that is) trying to figure out which family this sword belonged to, but there are no records of which IJA officer carried what sword into battle...My original goal (since I have very little money into this sword) was to try and reunite it with the family. Come to find out, a lot of Samurai during the Meiji Restoration sold their family swords to the equivalent of modern day thrift shops to have money for food etc....I am continuing my search to figure more about this piece of Japanese history and am well aware not to modify it in any way or touch the blade! Thanks!

Finally got to pick up my WASR 10. I have the ammo, now I need to find the time.

Attachments

• AK47 WASR 009.jpg
    AK47 WASR 009.jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 74
  • AK47 WASR 021.jpg
    AK47 WASR 021.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 48
Just scored this gem off GB for $710 [emoji83]
After insured shipping, CC fee an FFL transfer I'll be into it for $760 which I think is a steal! No box or papers

9e03ac224812822243a3c61337235c60.jpg

1dc902f6b7874a3e04a3806ffc124538.jpg

sent wth crapatalk please pardon any autosubjects

Sweet! I love my 44 mag SRH 7.5". Can only imagine the recoil with the short Alaskan barrel lol. I hope you reload because these big bore Rugers are addicting to shoot. I shoot a minimum of 100 rounds per range trip. Luckily my reloads are running me about $15 a box.

SElSGH8.jpg

Bought this for the Fiancee this weekend. 2015 Jeep Unlimited X Edition.

Getting rid of my Audi after March, still dont know what i want [thinking].

Just picked up a pink upper for the wife's gun. $68 shipped from ar-parts. Little doffer mr than Nagpur pink but she likes so I like

Retry: its a different shade than magpul pink bit she likes it. I have the magpul pink handguard but it may be too much going to use the troy quadrail I have in black.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1421185289.935882.jpg

Last edited:
Remington 597 .22LR 20" Bull Barrel
I've been wanting a .22 rifle, this didn't seem like a bad deal.

20150113_235237.jpg
Came with a "10 shot clip" lol oooooh Remington.....
20150113_205110.jpg

Looks like that sword has been sharpened almost to the point where one might be concerned about durability. Given the age, that's not surprising.

PTR 308

PTR 308 caliber, match barrel, trigger work done by Bill Springfield www.TriggerWork.net. SWFA SS 10x scope. Ordered front hand guard with a rail system on the bottom for bi pod etc. Bill does all types of triggers and his turn around time is a week. He can even smooth out AK G2 triggers. He also worked on my PSL and its like a new rifle!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 90
PTR 308 caliber, match barrel, trigger work done by Bill Springfield www.TriggerWork.net. SWFA SS 10x scope. Ordered front hand guard with a rail system on the bottom for bi pod etc. Bill does all types of triggers and his turn around time is a week. He can even smooth out AK G2 triggers. He also worked on my PSL and its like a new rifle!

Nice rifle Fred! Friend of mine just got one recently, been dying to shoot it.

Back
Top Bottom